• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JorRaptor: Assassin's Creed Hex and Red are the two biggest Ubisoft games to date

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to new information shared by YouTuber JorRaptor, who creates a lot of content about Ubisoft projects, he claims that Assassin's Creed Red and Assassin's Creed Hexe represent the two biggest investments in single player games ever made by Ubisoft.

He didn't reveal many details, but it seems that Ubisoft is committed to making major investments in the next games in the franchise, suggesting that we have two major projects here.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hmmm, red for Chinese?

Hexe??? Is Hex like whitchcraft….. Boston/Salem 1620s????

Red is Japan, two Assassins. One is Yasuke, other is a woman.

Hex is set in Salem during the witch trials.

Assassin's Creed Jade (the mobile game) is China.

Skipped mirage but excited for RED

You skipped the best AC since Black Flag.

Last edited:

Sybrix

wYVl62d72aE3yK7oAM9Rkvnc89hBfSbUbJRnITSoiRQ.jpg

DavidGzz

I love them all but they are B- games for the most part. I enjoy the more modern games the most but I agree about the bloat. I hope the money went to some advancements with the engine so they don't keep feeling too samey.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Last edited:

ungalo

The two choices of settings don't appeal to me at all. Especially Hexe, a story about some witches in the holy roman empire, it's so lame already. You could do so much with the history of Europe.

But even if they chose an interesting historical context there's still their abysmal writing that's getting worse with every entry anyway.

Last edited:
The two choices of settings don't appeal to me at all. Especially Hexe, a story about some witches in the holy roman empire, it's so lame already. You could do so much with the history of Europe.

But even if they chose an interesting historical context there's still their abysmal writing that's getting worst with every entry anyway.

Hexe is one of the most intriguing AC projects ever.

I love them all but they are B- games for the most part. I enjoy the more modern games the most but I agree about the bloat. I hope the money went to some advancements with the engine so they don't keep feeling too samey.
While I 100% agree, I have a feeling that Ubisoft will substantially change their open world game design going forward. Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla all came out within 3 years from one another. By the time Odyssey came out, it was quite clear fans of the genre were burnt out by the Ubisoft formulaic approach. And by that time in 2018, it was too late to drastically change Valhalla's game design. I would hope Ubisoft heard their criticisms, and that is why there will be a 4.5-5 year gap between mainline AC games, with Red expecting to arrive in 2025.

For me personally, as much as the Ubisoft generic open world sucks, it is the combat that is incredibly bland. They have to know they need to 100% overhaul it, especially when Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Rise of the Ronin will completely overshadow them if they don't

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
While I 100% agree, I have a feeling that Ubisoft will substantially change their open world game design going forward. Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla all came out within 3 years from one another. By the time Odyssey came out, it was quite clear fans of the genre were burnt out by the Ubisoft formulaic approach. And by that time in 2018, it was too late to drastically change Valhalla's game design. I would hope Ubisoft heard their criticisms, and that is why there will be a 4.5-5 year gap between AC games, with Red expecting to arrive in 2025.

For me personally, as much as the Ubisoft generic open world sucks, it is the combat that is incredibly bland. They have to know they need to 100% overhaul it, especially when Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Rise of the Ronin will completely overshadow them if they don't

People acting like Mirage doesn't exist.

People acting like Mirage doesn't exist.
Mirage was a throwback AC game with probably 1/4th the development costs and time compared to AC Red. And it was made by a studio that hasn't released any of the 3 previous mainline AC games

But I edited my post to say "mainline AC games"

Last edited:

Elbereth

Red is one of my most anticipated games this year. I loved AC: Valhalla and Ghost of Tsushima, and Red sounds like the best of both worlds.

IDK man, I haven’t played an AC game since Odyssey and now that Valhalla is on game pass and……I’m really enjoying it. The writing isn’t that bad (there’s worse mainstream TV series out there)
I didn’t realize the dude who plays
Cnut (see-nut) lol from that Last Kingdom show is the main protag…

ungalo

Hexe is one of the most intriguing AC projects ever.
I don't know, if it's really focused on witch trials, it doesn't intrigue me, but perhaps it will have a broader context.

The other problem for me is that the game will probably have this whole central europe pagan baba yaga aesthetic, which has become very redundant and boring in my opinion, we saw that in so many games these last few years. Probably since TW3.

Even in Valhalla there were some witch bosses in the swamp.

Xtib81

They really need to shake up the formula but that IP has unlimited potential. I'm still waiting for peak Rome era btw.

Last edited:
AC is the big bread winner for Ubisoft right now and one of the most popular single-player IP in the industry. So yeah, they will invest heavily in it.

I liked Mirage and look forward to hearing more about Red.

Perrott

Gold Member
Clint Hocking:

- boosts Far Cry to incredible new heights
- boosts Splinter Cell to incredible new heights
- Thermonuclear bombs Watchdogs to such a degree that the entire IP is killed

What a wild track record this man has.
Plus, he got to work on an unreleased very systems-driven Star Wars game and on Left 4 Dead 3 at LucasArts and Valve, respectively. And he coined the term ludonarrative disonance.

One of the most interesting character arcs in the industry.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I was hopeing for a modern era England where we can play as a blue haired soy boy and we are fighting for the Just stop oil mandem and the Templars are fat bald hard working men trying to enjoy a pint in there local boozer and rep the St George flag hard.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Hoping these are major generational leaps and more revolutionary than evolutionary; and that there's also another fully-classic style AC after these.

6yr dev cycles, three game types: rpg/hex/classic, release a game every 2yrs, each with well-defined, distinct characters and stories. Make "Infinite" into a 3D environment launcher where can load into all games you've bought; with a current/future day custom avatar and base/hq that you can customise, with its own animus, rooms with collected items and little side quests etc. So much potential if they really go for it.

In reality they'll probably dump classic ac after mirage, red/hex will be showy reskins and infinite will be a clunky, gaas-driven, half-arsed mess.

xrnzaaas

I wonder if people will still be fatigued when Red arrives since it's been a few years since Valhalla and Mirage was in some ways different and not that long to 100%.

For me personally Origin is the max what I accept from a single AC game. I'm not gonna bother wasting time on bigger titles where grind is often necessary to progress in the story.

I could care less about the Ubisoft criticism from posters on this site, I have shamelessly enjoyed the crap out of recent AC titles like Origins, Odyssey and Mirage. I just couldn't get stuck into Valhalla, too boring. I'm a guy who still loves the OG games dearly by the way.

Red is going to be awesome I'm sure, but the one I'm most excited about is Hexe, it sounds very intriguing and I'm super curious too see what is in the works.

gtabro

Can’t stop reading it as “Hexy”, but I’m
intrigued about what the concept will really be.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Doesn't really matter how much money you throw at it, honestly. AC has a lot of problems that upping the budget won't fix.
But the biggest of those problems can be fixed by downing the budget. Huge open worlds with a ridiculous amount of repetitive content is a major turn off.

RyRy93

The title says “the two biggest”and not “two of the biggest”, you’d at least expect these to be two of the biggest projects since they are next gen AC games

Lunarorbit

I don't have any faith that these games won't be filled with the same ubisoft overwhelming icons like all the rest.

That's one of the reasons I haven't followed either of these games. I'd love to be wrong as ac black flag was the last AC I really enjoyed. Origins and odyssey had so many cool parts to it but ultimately the combat/encounter system needs to be overhauled if I'm gonna go back to it.

Top Bottom