• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp Allegedly Uses an Earpiece to Feed Him Lines

akira28

I can understand the sound engineer bit, I wouldn't want to memorize Captain Jack Sparrows lines either, and that's all he ever does now

I didn't know he had to memorize anything. I thought he was just ad-libing. Let Johnny mix his meds with his drinks and suddenly Cap'n Jack is back and running the ship.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
who cares honestly? he is a professional at the top of his field, he is making huge Disney money, he has been doing this for decades. he can invest in his craft. he can spend the money he made how he wants to. if the movies made that much money, largely because of him, imo he deserves this stuff.

The entire proceedings are about him running out of money.

Glass Rebel

Whatever. It's lazy but he's been phoning it in for ages anyway. I will never understand why people still want to watch him on screen.

see5harp

Why do you think this washed up drunkard is doing the dumbest cologne commercials you've ever seen. Motherfucker is like the king of leather bracelets and open shirts.

ReaperXL7

Bob hope used to do this also, I think I remember he had his daughter in his ear as he got older. Pat Cooper also claims the Deniro uses an ear piece.

As you get older I'd imagine it gets way harder to memorize lines.

Why do you think this washed up drunkard is doing the dumbest cologne commercials you've ever seen. Motherfucker is like the king of leather bracelets and open shirts.

Because he's so famous people will pay him to do absolutely nothing. Why turn down easy money? It has nothing to do with his talent or ability.

For choosing convenience for doing his job? The horror...... the horror.

Convenience? I call that more laziness. There's something about learning your lines that im sure will make you better understand the character. If you don't bother doing that, I'm sure that reflects in the overall performance. And if you think at his later performances, which are not very good, I'm sure that has something to do with it. If he cuts corners there, then where else does he cut corners? If this is true of course.

People in office jobs better stop using copy and pasting to speed things up, it's a crutch and such laziness should not be rewarded

Maybe he should also have someone tell him how to say the line as well on the mic in the other ear. In fact I think it's a lot better if he doesn't show up at all and just have a CG character or stand in replace him the whole movie. They can just add on his face afterwards.

I don't understand people who bring up actors spending too much money in as if it's bad thing. Dude it's not your money. Him spending too much money is good for the economy! That's the only link between him and you. You should be thankful he is spending all his money.

ZeoVGM

Banned
To be fair, given jack sparrow, they prolly give him a general gist of what he has to do and he can ad lib everything else.

Valid point. The guy makes enough public appearances as hospitals and stuff as Jack where he can likely ad lib a whole movie at this point.

Dryk

this seems like creating a controversy out of nothing. these lawyers trying to get a piece. no wonder they are his former managers.
He sued them for mismanagement. This is a countersuit alleging that he wouldn't listen to them.

Though I do agree that it's better for the economy for him to spend himself to bankruptcy than to hoard his riches in a savings account

Johnny Depp is famous and hugely wealthy. That makes him better than us.

He's lead an extremely difficult life, it's not easy when you're drowning in world class pussy, Getting cast in fantastic movies that pay millions and millions and maintaining a fleet of beautiful vintage cars.

So its completely understandable memorising lines might be far too much work for Jonny. It's rough out there for guys like him.

Apt101

If I was that rich and could earn tens of millions more by basically playing pretend for a few months each year, I'd make Depp look conservative. I'd make Will Smith's son look tame compared to how eccentric I'd be. Shit I'd dress up like Batman just to go to 7/11.

If I was that rich and could earn tens of millions more by basically playing pretend for a few months each year, I'd make Depp look conservative. I'd make Will Smith's son look tame compared to how eccentric I'd be. Shit I'd dress up like Batman just to go to 7/11.

7/11 is for poors. If I was that rich I'd build myself an elaborate fallout shelter. Safe in the knowledge I'd still be living the good life even after a nuclear apocalypse.

Monocle

Johnny Depp is famous and hugely wealthy. That makes him better than us.

He's lead an extremely difficult life, it's not easy when you're drowning in world class pussy, Getting cast in fantastic movies that pay millions and millions and maintaining a fleet of beautiful vintage cars.

So its completely understandable memorising lines might be far too much work for Jonny. It's rough out there for guys like him.
How dare he be a rich actor! How very dare he!

He should be a not rich actor who acts but does not own cars. Also he should memorize lots of lines. That would really improve his widely beloved Jack Sparrow character.

How dare he be a rich actor! How very dare he!

He should be a not rich actor who acts but does not own cars.

You say actor, I say diva. There's a critical mass in terms of fame that exists in every man, and once you hit that mass like Depp has and Brando also Willis also Smith. You begin to disappear up your own asshole never to be seen or heard from again.

Oh so what I'm getting paid 12 million for this job, I'm not gonna bother memorising my lines because I'm a diva. Fuck you all, my face sells this movie and you all know it so fuck off. Get my ear piece ready Dave. Time to phone it in!

It is pretty fucking cheeky but it's understandable. He's a diva, he's earned it.

see5harp

Because he's so famous people will pay him to do absolutely nothing. Why turn down easy money? It has nothing to do with his talent or ability.

Most of the time movie stars do that sorta stuff overseas. I wasn't implying it had anything to with talent but more his money situation.

Speevy

Banned
He's one of the rare actors who has no idea how to play a person who is just like himself.

Maybe they will make a movie about that one day.

Top Bottom