• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John DiMaggio goes off at the Gears 5 panel when a audience member asks what Kait's sexual preference is

Ballthyrm

Opening questions to the audience without some kind of filtering should be avoided at all cost.
I have yet to find a single example where it worked.

The best case scenario is the desired outcome(a good question), every other scenario lead to worse results.
Why would people on panels agree to waste their time like this, i have no idea.

The power balance is all out of wack.
- the panel is basically stuck there and once the question is asked, they have to answer it or been seen dodging the question even if they have no will to answer it.
- people in the public aren't there to listen to the person asking the question yet this person can command attention they don't deserve. (long question, virtue signaling, etc)
- this shouldn't be a forum, the person asking the question has the power to transform that into a dialog which it isn't, again, people are there to listen to the panel opinion.

Every time i see this i'm just annoyed at the people who organised this mess, you are really giving the stick to get yourself beat.
It is on you as the organizer if the audience waste the panel's time, it's not on the dumb audience member, dumb people are everywhere.

yurinka

I think sexual preference of a character doesn't matter in a game like that where the focus of the game is in the action instead of in the story and character development.

In a game that is more story focused, or where maybe where the sexuality of the character has some kind of impact in the story or gameplay or the story then it would matter, but seems it isn't clearly the case.

Would be interesting to hear his response if it was a woman that asked the question.
The reply escalates in different steps once he realizes that the guy who made the question -and also the rest of the people- is also laughing. His intention is to reply with humour and keeps increasing the tone once he realizes that the other ones, specially the guy who made the question gets it. His intention wasn't to humiliate with that reply.

I'm pretty sure that with a woman would have been more serious and would have avoied the reference to masturbation.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Reminds me of Morrisey, being questioned on his sexuality, he refused to say until this day AFAIK. And what difference does it make, to any of us, just enjoy the product if its your kind of thing

CJY

Banned
Reminds me of Morrisey, being questioned on his sexuality, he refused to say until this day AFAIK. And what difference does it make, to any of us, just enjoy the product if its your kind of thing
You mentioning Morrisey, your avatar reminding me of Bowie, Prince, MJ. Had a little twinge of sadness come over me. Really not a fan of today's music at all.

Codes 208

Sounds about right with his responses. John DiMaggio is a pretty cool guy.
tumblr_mlhuofv8Md1r45zzio1_400.gif

Verchod

It's a joke. His reply is a joke. He's mocking him at the question and calling him a nerd. It's not awkward. It's fine.

Top Bottom