• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John DiMaggio goes off at the Gears 5 panel when a audience member asks what Kait's sexual preference is

Fake

Next gen gamers. Best answer of E3 by far.
It's a sad state of affairs when this is the first question asked, whether it was sincere or not.
Who cares about gaming anyway?

Last edited:

somerset

Tony Blair's best mate, Rowling, pushed this concept hard with her post Harry Potter books examination of character 'sexuality'. And why do the fabians want you asking this question about every fictional character?

You laugh, mock or despair at this nonsense, but this game is played for keeps by forces you try to pretend to yourself don't matter. Across my lifetime, I'm literally seeing all societal rules being rewritten, and not for the benefit of Greater Humanity.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The correct response to these questions should be “I don’t want to speak for the character themselves, you should ask them directly” then when you realize you can’t ask Mario how he fucks because he doesn’t actually exist, you join the rest of us in Actual Reality

Zog

Banned
why do so many people care if a character is gay or not? Sometimes it seems they care more about that than if it's a good written character or not.

Why do so many people care if it's a good written character or not? Sometimes it seems they care more about that than if the game play is good.

Last edited:

bobone

That was a troll question right? That guy doesn't seriously care about that nonsense does he?

Or was the question real and the response was a troll? Or were they both trolls and neither realized it?

I'm so confused with this world we live in. Why can't I just play videogames in peace.

Silent Duck

33a92m.jpg

Lilseb93

What a stupid question. Focus on the game itself. It's not fair to put somebody, especially just a voice actor, in that position. And I'm pretty liberal on social issues myself.

Last edited:

logicslayer

You know, I saw the hand gesture and the hand come up to stop him when it happened. I don't believe I had the audio on for that feed at the time. That's a great response to such a stupid fucking question.

The guy was definitely trolling, but it is a legit question to ask the devs (not the voice actors).
Despite being in a relationship with Marcus' son in Gears 4, Kaits appearance is consistent with a lesbian stereotype, then when you add in game devs wanting to add in lgbt representation these days, I have to wonder if Kait is at least bi.

jadedm17

Lost me a bit at the end but "Maybe she's a switch hitter, who gives a F?" was brilliant.
I'd have added a poke at "This was your moment, you could have asked anything and this is your question?"

Solid response overall.

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Love it. I try to explain this to my co-workers who don't like my attitude : I'm matching your energy, so come at me respectfully and I'll do the same, snap at me for something dumb and I'll do the same. It's really simple.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

The dumb ass wanted faux outrage or virtue signalling to get woke points. The majority of people are getting tired of all this shit and you can see it from all the folding of media outlets because they are bleeding out money left and right.

Casanova

As a gay person myself, I would have much rather seen this cringy John fellow say "yeah, she's gay" or "We'll have to wait and see" then briefly move on to the next question rather than to make himself look like a fool. Sexual orientation (not "preference") is important to know for storylines, but just answer the dude's question, move on, and start talking about the other 99% of that character's personality and story. This was so cringy to watch.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question but the guy answering went a little overboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saber

Gold Member
Stupid questions deserves the most appropriate answers. More than deserved.

Think twice before making lame ass questions about your daydreaming fantasies.

Last edited:
I remember people asking the same question about Lara Croft when they rebooted it. The writer wanted to make her lesbian, because of course. The devs basically ignored her sexuality throughout the entire trilogy.

And I think that was the right move for the devs and the game writers. I played through those three new Tomb Raider games and enjoyed them all and knowing Lara's sexual preference wouldn't have added or detracted from those games at all. It didn't add to the story or the character, so why even bother to address it?

Thus far, Kait's sexuality and gender haven't mattered in the context of the Gears of War series and I think John's response of "Who cares?!" to that question is fine.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
And I think that was the right move for the devs and the game writers. I played through those three new Tomb Raider games and enjoyed them all and knowing Lara's sexual preference wouldn't have added or detracted from those games at all. It didn't add to the story or the character, so why even bother to address it?

Thus far, Kait's sexuality and gender haven't mattered in the context of the Gears of War series and I think John's response of "Who cares?!" to that question is fine.
I agree. But I would also argue that they went too far in the other direction. Lara didn't have a personality and didn't even feel like a real person.

Kadayi

Banned
Tony Blair's best mate, Rowling, pushed this concept hard with her post Harry Potter books examination of character 'sexuality'. And why do the fabians want you asking this question about every fictional character?

You laugh, mock or despair at this nonsense, but this game is played for keeps by forces you try to pretend to yourself don't matter. Across my lifetime, I'm literally seeing all societal rules being rewritten, and not for the benefit of Greater Humanity.

qsqIbzn.gif

Breakage

First time I've seen Marcus Fenix's VA. Regardless of the whether the guy asking the question is trolling or not, DiMaggio comes across as unprofessional in this.
His crass response suggests that he looks down on male gamers and sees them all as a bunch of "nerd boys" who jerk off all day.
Would he have offered the same response -- complete with masturbatory motion -- had the question come from a young woman? I think not.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
And sex-starved gamers continue to embarrass us at every turn. Jesus. They should’ve put that idiot on the sidewalk on his face.

HeresJohnny

I always find that question dumb, who cares? Does it really affect anyone’s enjoyment of the game if it turns out she likes a slice of pie or takes a rod? It’s a shooting game, come the fuck on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And sex-starved gamers continue to embarrass us at every turn. Jesus. They should’ve put that idiot on the sidewalk on his face.

The person asked the question because he knew he would get his 15 minutes of fame in the current outrage culture.

But I bet they didn’t expect the voice actor to go that extra.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I always find that question dumb, who cares? Does it really affect anyone’s enjoyment of the game if it turns out she likes a slice of pie or takes a rod? It’s a shooting game, come the fuck on.

Thats the thing, there is a mob out there that needs to know this stuff to enjoy the game.

I once had a co-worker tell me that she doesn't want to watch Vikings because there are no LGBTQBBQ themes in it.

There is some lesbian themes in it

Top Bottom