• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carpenter Appreciation Thread/Favourite Film?

What is your favourite John Carpenter film?

• Prince of Darkness

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Assault on Precinct 13

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Escape From New York

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • In The Mouth of Madness

• The Thing

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Big Trouble in Little China

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • They Live

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Halloween

• The Fog

• Vampires

• Total voters
Who is John Carpenter?
Official Site | IMDB | Wikipedia | Twitter

Master of Cinema - John Carpenter:

American born Director, Writer and Composer. Known mostly for his late 70's and 80's directorial work. Some of his most well known directorial works include: Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, Big Trouble in Little China, Assault on Precinct 13, Escape From New York.

John Carpenter's directorial works mostly reside in the Horror and Science-Fiction genres where he has helped develop landmark titles and influenced many directors including Robert Rodriguez.

Robert Rodriguez on Carpenter's infuence on Planet Terror:
Robert Rodriguez said:
'And then there's the film that got me started in movies in the first place, which was John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. And Escape From New York, too. Once I saw those films, I was like, "Oh, hell yeah, I've gotta make stuff like that!" Because Carpenter writes, directs, does the music, and that's really what inspired me, at the age of 12, to start making movies. And then, when it came time to do "Planet Terror," I knew I had to do something that would hearken back to those things that first inspired me.'

From Interview:
Austin Chronicle Interview with Robert Rodriguez

Robert Rodriguez on Escape From New York:
Robert Rodriguez said:
'This film really opened up my eyes to the kinds of movies I wanted to do and be a filmmaker for because of the freedom that it suggested. When I saw that John Carpenter had written, directed, and done the music, I thought, “That’s crazy.” And you can just declare that New York is a prison and the audience buys it? That’s the most freedom you could possibly have in a playground to create your own set of rules.'

Robert Rodriguez on The Thing:
Robert Rodriguez said:
'I was into a lot of John Carpenter stuff. This film really showed me how malleable material can be. When Carpenter first shot it, Kurt Russell was just one of the side characters, but when they went out on location, a lot of the location work was making him step more into the forefront. I do that a lot. Once I get an actor on and I realize what power they have on the screen, I quickly rewrite ridiculously on set, to the point where people will show up that morning, get the new pages, and we go to shoot, and I say, “Oh, no, that’s not the right dialogue!” And they say, “But I just got the pages this morning?” And I go, “Oh, those are already old!” I’m constantly rewriting, trying to get the most out of the actor with the character and think of it from the audience’s perspective of what they want to see from that character.'

From Interview:
The Daily Beast Interviews Robert Rodriguez

Robert Rodriguez Interviews John Carpenter:
El Rey - The Director's Chair (Video Interview)

John Carpenter helped to create the modern 'Slasher' genre of horror as we know it when he directed Halloween (1978). The genre has grown into a large if not over represented sub-genre of horror. Notable copy-cats include: Friday The 13th series where from the second film on the character of Jason Voorhees is clearly heavily inspired by the character of Michael Myers from Halloween.

Related Article Link:
How John Carpenter’s Halloween created the modern slasher movie

Carpenter famously composed the score to most of his film catalogue, the most notable exception to this was The Thing (1982). Famous Italian composer Ennio Morricone was tasked with composing the score for the snowy sci-fi horror, which he bafflingly won a 'Razzie' award for that year.

Soundtrack ~ Ennio Morricone ~ The Thing (1982) ~ 01 ~ Humanity, Pt. 1

denofgeek said:
'Having had one of the best films of his career torn apart by critics and then underperform at the box office, director John Carpenter then had the indignity of having the theme music for The Thing nominated for Worst Original Score.

The nomination seems doubly bizarre when you consider that not only was The Thing's music composed by the great Ennio Morricone, but it was also an absolutely perfect murmuring backwash to Carpenter's flesh-rending horror.'

From Article:
DenOfGeek - 10 Mystifying Razzie Nominations

John Carpenter first fell in love with the medium of film as a child watching 50's serials, which often contained works in the horror and science-fiction genres. It's no surprise that this early exposure to and love of these classic works has had massive influence on the work he would go on to create and why his catalogue is so strongly represented by the horror and science-fiction genres. At times he would combine the two to great effect such as cult classic The Thing (1982) and the often underappreciated Prince of Darkness (1987).

Forbidden Planet (1956) - Official Trailer:

The Irish Times said:
he experienced something of an epiphany while watching Forbidden Planet, a 1956 movie characterised by its seminal electronic score.
.... “But it really was 1956,” - (Forbidden Planet) guffaws Carpenter. “That was the movie that made me think: I want to do this. I want to be a movie director.”

From Article:
Irish Times - John Carpenter: "A lot of old-timers like to bitch... Movies are for the young"

John Carpenter seems to have a great working relationship with most of his actors, to the point where often times he would reuse actors across various films. This would sometimes give the impression that Carpenter has a 'stable' of actors that he would use across his works. The most famous of these relationships would be his working relationship and friendship with actor Kurt Russell. They first met on the set of the made for TV movie: Elvis (1979) and went on to work together on The Thing (1982), Big Trouble in Little China (1986), Escape From New York (1981) and Escape From L.A. (1996).

The Thing Commentary Track - Kurt Russel Pranks John Carpenter

For John Carpenter branding was something he realized was important early on and he was one of the first directors to put his name in the titles of his films. This helped create a brand name that was not tied to any specific studio or IP, this helped fans to follow his work at a time before finding out the entire creative team for any product was only a click away, It may also be one of the reasons he is so well known with fans of the science-fiction and horror genres.

Consequence of Sound said:
Similar to classic directors of Hollywood’s past, Carpenter even wanted his name above the title, which would make his name synonymous with the cinematic terror.

“John was a little ahead of his time,” says Tommy Lee Wallace, who edited Halloween and worked with Carpenter on a number of his films. “Branding is all the rage now, and I just think John was working very hard to set himself apart and create a brand for himself.”

From Artice:
Consequence of Sound - The Making of John Carpenter’s Halloween

Some of John Carpenter's films contained strong themes regarding the possible end of the word. The Thing, Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness in particular are often dubbed the "Apocalypse Trilogy" by fans.

John Carpenter Introduces his 'Apocalypse Trilogy' at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica: (Apologies about the low quality)

Related Articles:

John Carpenter had early mainstream success with Halloween (1978) but this would prove a difficult task to repeat as time went on. His theatrical releases ranged from moderate box office success to complete failures. Carpenter liked to be creative and experimental with the films he created, this often left the studio executives puzzled and confused on what they actually had and how to market it. This dissonance would be partially responsible for some of the theatrical failures or underperforming films. An example of this would be Big Trouble in Little China, the pulpy mystical/martial arts love letter to Asian cinema. The studio executives wanted Indiana Jones, but they ended up getting something very different which they had no idea how to market or where to find the audience for such a film.

uk.movies.yahoo.com said:
A box office flop on release, ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ went on to gain a devoted cult following on VHS and television, and is now held up as one of the best-loved movies made by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell, who also collaborated on TV movie ‘Elvis,’ ‘Escape From New York’ and its sequel ‘Escape From LA,’ and ‘The Thing'

From Article:
uk.movies.yahoo.com - John Carpenter: No one’s talked to me about the Big Trouble in Little China remake

One of the biggest box office failures that Carpenter faced is by many considered his best work, The Thing (1982) grossed only 19.6 Million USD at the US box office on a reported budget of 10 million USD (not including marketing). This can largely be attributed to Universal Studios releasing the film at practically the same time as their other box office juggernaut E.T.:The Extra-Terrestrial (1982).

gadflyonline said:
In 1982 Universal Studios, the movie company made famous with their classic horror and science-fictions films like 1931's Frankenstein, 1931's Dracula and 1932's The Mummy, released two big-budget science-fiction thrillers at practically the same time. One was called E.T.:The Extra-Terrestrial and featured a cute, wrinkly, pudgy little creature who drank beer and ate candy. The other was called The Thing, and it was a little darker.

From Article:
gadflyonline - The Thing That Ate E.T.

These continuing box office difficulties caused the budgets on Carpenter's future films to continue shrinking, in turn resulting in a cycle of middling to low success at the box office. A lot of these films gained a second lease of life on the then budding and expanding home VHS market. Home audiences showed an appreciation for Carpenter's work that far surpassed their box office popularity. This home video success has continued to this day and caused landmark titles such as The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, Escape From New York to live on and influence many works, including video game character Raiden from the Mortal Kombat series, who is based on one of the "Three Thunders" from Big Trouble in Little China.

In recent years John Carpenter has moved away from the limelight of hollywood after being disillusioned with the executives and lack of success some of his best works faced at the box office. Each year that passed by it became more and more difficult for Carpenter to raise adequate funds to continue directing his larger works. His most recent full length film was The Ward (2010) which reached moderate success relative to it's budget.

John Carpenter said:
'Could I succeed if I started today? No. I’d be rejected'

From Interview with The Guardian:
The Guardian - Interview

John Carpenter continues writing and composing and has released an album in 2015 titled "Lost Themes" and a follow up "Lost Themes II" in 2016. He has toured worldwide performing the music from these albums live as well as anthologies of his previous film scores.

The 'Lost Themes' were published by Sacred Bones Records and can be purchased below:
Buy 'Lost Themes'
Buy 'Lost Themes II"

Track 'Vortex' from Lost Themes Album:

*This Section Reserved for Catalogue and Short Synopsis of John Carpenter's Directorial Works - To Be Inserted When I Get Home From Work*

Please share your thoughts and appreciation on the directorial works of John Carpenter. I'd also like to know what your favourite John Carpenter film is and why.

If you are short on time I've also included a poll with some of his more well known films. Cast your votes now!

EDIT: I've added some more quotes, links, youtube videos etc.. I will try to add more as I go along to keep improving the OP. I intend to add details about each film in John Carpenter's filmography. Consider this post a continously improving WIP. Thanks.

Last edited:

Razorback

Big fan of his style of filmmaking and music. The Thing is my favorite but a close second I noticed is not on the list, Starman.

Big fan of his style of filmmaking and music. The Thing is my favorite but a close second I noticed is not on the list, Starman.

Sorry about that, unfortunately I reached the maximum poll size that the forum supports. Originally I was going to include all of his directorial works. I tried to include the ones that were generally the most beloved and talked about today but obviously I had to leave out a few.

Airola

Carpenter is one of my top3 directors.

I chose Prince of Darkness in the poll. I would say it's the culmination of everything about his style and sense of film making.

It seems I've underestimated the popularity of Starman, I would edit the poll and maybe put it in place of The Fog but I can't seem to edit the poll entries like that.

If any mods are reading this could you please edit the poll to reflect the above? Thanks!

Ariola said:
I chose Prince of Darkness in the poll. I would say it's the culmination of everything about his style and sense of film making.

I absolutely love Prince of Darkness, everything about the style, tone, music and story. The dream sequences/ending stuck with me for years after I watched it. I also love the mix of science-fiction and the supernatural. I don't think I've ever come across something quite like it. Only weak link I think is the main male lead, he is so lifeless and bland but it might be a creative choice so as not to overshadow the focus from the rest of the cast because at it's heart it really is an ensemble film in my opinion. I voted for The Thing despite my love for Prince of Darkness because I think in terms of overall quality it represents the most complete package that Carpenter has produced.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Nice OP. Chose Escape NY because Snake obviously, and that intro song. They are all great honestly. Great director and composer.

Doom85

Halloween is definitely my favorite film of his. The atmosphere, music, and the performances by Curtis and Pleasance are top notch. It perfectly captures to me what is one of the most reasonable fears: a stranger trying to kill you.

Big Trouble in Little China is my second favorite, just a solid action adventure film that has so much energy and fun to it. The Thing is my 3rd favorite of his, it might have been higher but I just personally can't find anything sci-fi scary, have the same thing with Alien, great film but doesn't scare me at all (it's why I prefer Aliens, more focus on character development and action). In the Mouth of Madness is my 4th favorite, a strong Lovecraftian-style story. The Fog would be my 5th, it's really good but not spectacular but it is just a fun movie to pop in and watch.

I absolutely ADORE so many of his films I honestly can't choose.
Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, They Live, Big Trouble, The Thing, Halloween, and Escape from NY are absolute classics.

Shame about his recent films, though. The one with Amber Heard (The Ward, i think?) was dreadful.

Edit: I haven't seen Starman yet. Looks like I'm watching a "new" Carpenter movie later today!

Last edited:
Ok so I've updated the OP with more detail: Links, Quotes, Videos etc... I'll try to continue updating it as time goes by. That is probably it for today though.

Seraphym

Kudos for the effort Ryujin
Can't vote but I would find it hard to just pick one.
Escape, Thing, China and Starman are great.
I have a soft spot for The Fog too .... bah!
I am sure he did the soundtrack for the Sentinel?

Kadayi

Banned
The Thing all the way. Legit scared the bejesus out of me as a kid. Honourable mentions to EFNY and BTILC also.

Amazing OP, well done and very informative.

I just wish the poll would allow for multiple votes, because I can't decide between The Thing, Escape from NY/LA and Big Trouble in Little China. If I had to chose, I'd go with The Thing, it's not only a legitimately terrifying movie, but the whole cast, characterization and gritty atmosphere were just so spot on. And that eerie soundtrack, by Ennio Morricone... man oh man, still gives me the creeps. Not to mention Rob Bottin's amazing creature effects. Man, a lot of love and dedication went into that movie:

Second place would go to the Escape movies, I like the first one a little bit better but both are just some of the best testosterone fueled camp. Snake Plissken is just pure unadulterated badassery:

Third would be Big Trouble in Little China, it's just a really fun movie that is very self-aware of how silly it is.

Ka-Kui

I've only seen a handful of his stuff and I can tell this guy's special.

The Thing is masterpiece of filmmaking in my opinion. Movies like that just aren't made anymore.

His filmmaking style is very distinct, I can't put my finger on it but when I watch his stuff I can sense his fingerprints.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Haven't seen a single movie from the list...
/hideinshame
Pick anything from that list and give it a watch. Most of them should be on a streaming service. They are all great movies with distinct and wonderful soundtracks. I guarantee you will enjoy/appreciate them.

EBE

The Thing and Halloween are masterpieces of cinema.

They Live and Big Trouble in Little China are awful. Come at me

Last edited:

DiscoJer

They Live and Big Trouble in Little China are campy. The latter more so. They Live is a satire of the alien/communist menace movies of the 1950s, only flipping the script and making the invading aliens super capitalistic

Prince of Darkness is my favorite. A lot of that has to do with Dennis Dun. He really deserved more Hollywood roles

Airola

His filmmaking style is very distinct, I can't put my finger on it but when I watch his stuff I can sense his fingerprints.

He has a special sense on how to use space in movies. He has the skill to take make the streets, the rooms and the corridors feel something special. The shots are often wide. The places aren't just backgrounds for the characters but they feel like actual places the characters inhabit. I think part of this is thanks to Dean Cundey, the director of photography Carpenter used from Halloween to Big Trouble in Little China. When you look at what other movies Dean Cundey has done there are tons of movies where the movie tries not to show off but gives the audience a great sense of space and surroundings. I'm sure Cundey ahd a huge influence on Carpenter and Carpenter had a huge influence on Cundey. I think had they not done work together Carpenter's movies would've been different and also the movies Cundey worked on would've been different.

Also as Carpenter has said, he doesn't care for "mickey mousing" in music - meaning music that points out the actions of the people by kind of trying to mimic the movements of people on screen. Instead he wants the music to be something that is there to create a mood.

I think this attitude towards music and the use of camera together makes a big part of what makes a movie feel like a Carpenter movie.

He's economical in storytelling, his movies have a deliberate pace and the geography of the setting is well established.
On top of these things, there's the cynical humour, antihero stuff, sweet electronic tunes etc.

kunonabi

I would have voted for Memoirs of an Invisible Man but In the Mouth of Madness will have to do. Seriously though, it is my favorite invisible man movie. Of course, it probably helps that I had no clue that it was supposed to be a comedy until a few years ago.

I really need to make an effort and catch more of his filmography. I've only actually seen maybe 7 or 8 of his movies.

The Thing is without a doubt his best movie but I also love Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little China and They Live.

Such a versatile director and yet has such a recognizable style.

Top Bottom