• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Boyega ridicules Star Wars + fans; also hints at Attack the Block 2

On the heels of Oscar Isaac deriding his "Disney overlords", John Boyega has also apparently stopped giving a fuck. Are the contracts up? Are we going to be seeing more true thoughts in the new year? Let's hope so, because the reactions so far have been great.

It started with this Tweet ridiculing the romantic "arc" of the sequel trilogy which set off the crazy fanbase in hilarious ways.

Star Wars fans are fucking weird
ENIuOaYXkAA8bkt

This chick is trying to frame it as a civil rights thing? The fuck kinda people watch these movies?

As for Attack the Block 2:

Anyway, I know this is low hanging fruit for a thread (being Twitter and all) but I also know many here take delight in the tears of Disney Star Wars fans, and it seems John Boyega does as well.
And with that, have a Happy New Year. :)

ZehDon

I’ll be honest - if I had been cast as a mainline character in a new Star Wars trilogy, and after a solid introduction, Rian Johnson decided to make my character into the token side kick with a do-nothing B-plot, and ruined the overall story so badly that the director of the next film had to dedicate 75% of the run time to fixing Johnson’s fuck ups, leaving my character with a C-plot, and literally nothing to do for the entire trilogy... I’d be fucking bitter too. Boyega should’ve been a major player in this story. Rian Johnson fucked Boyega’s once in a lifetime opportunity. JJ just couldn’t un-do the damage - I doubt anyone could’ve. For me, Boyega gets a free pass - troll the Reylo’s, throw shade at Johnson, burn it all fucking down. I know I’d be mad as fucking hell.

Last edited:

GV82

They aren’t Star Wars fans nor pop culture fans of any kind that’s what we have been trying to say for ages most of the people who love the sequel trilogy particularly TLJ & started this nonsense.

These are current tween girls, former tweens now in their 20’s/30’s & tumblr girls and wannabe’s who wish they were still Tweens, maybe their boyfriends and wanna be whiteknights 🤢 the rest should just know better but they do it because they wanna be seen as cool by the kids.

You can probs follow their so called “fandom” trail.

Starts probably around

Harry Potter (early teens whatever they called themselves and their weird tumblr fan fiction & drawings )
Moves onto Twighlight (mid teens - Team Douchebags?)
Moves onto Dr Who (the fangirls who were actually there to fancy the Male Doctor actors, not Jodie ) mid - to late teens
Moves onto Fifty Shades (early 20’s)
Moves onto Star Wars (Reylos) early to mid 20’s

Meanwhile a new generation & former generation of Tweens now grown, also join in.

Spreads out into Marvel & other fandoms, you can usually spot them a mile off by their screeching rants, awful fan fiction, gross fanart. Trying to over rule fandoms.

John Boyega knows and he’s had enough

dT45iwE.jpg

nJrgNwN.jpg

f3buCoT.jpg

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

I’m surprised Disney doesn’t have some contractual prohibition on their behavior. Strikes me as incredibly unprofessional.

GreyHorace

I’ll be honest - if I had been cast as a mainline character in a new Star Wars trilogy, and after a solid introduction, Rian Johnson decided to make my character into the token side kick with a do-nothing B-plot, and ruined the overall story so badly that the director of the next film had to dedicate 75% of the run time to fixing Johnson’s fuck ups, leaving my character with a C-plot, and literally nothing to do for the entire trilogy... I’d be fucking bitter too. Boyega should’ve been a major player in this story. Rian Johnson fucked Boyega’s once in a lifetime opportunity. JJ just couldn’t un-do the damage - I doubt anyone could’ve. For me, Boyega gets a free pass - troll the Reylo’s, throw shade at Johnson, burn it all fucking down. I know I’d be mad as fucking hell.
I agree with this. When I watched The Force Awakens I thought Finn was going to be big part of the trilogy. Then Rian Johnson happened and proceeded to shit over the character all to 'subvert expectations.' I'm not surprised that Boyega is feeling salty.

Weiji

Banned

Better then a free pass, he is one of a few people that made the first movie watchable. And I agree 100% that they completely wasted his character.

Disney should have given him his own series, he’s infinitely more watchable then any of the movies he’s in.

*Also attack the block was fantastic, more please!

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
He should have been one of the most interesting characters in the whole series, but for some reason was being kissed (against his will) by Rian Johnson's high school math league crush after having all of his character stripped away. I'd be done with it all too.

I'd be careful, though. He didn't exactly make retirement money and studios don't like when you shit-talk your previous movies.

Alfen Dave

On the heels of Oscar Isaac deriding his "Disney overlords", John Boyega has also apparently stopped giving a fuck. Are the contracts up? Are we going to be seeing more true thoughts in the new year? Let's hope so, because the reactions so far have been great.

It started with this Tweet ridiculing the romantic "arc" of the sequel trilogy which set off the crazy fanbase in hilarious ways.

Star Wars fans are fucking weird

This chick is trying to frame it as a civil rights thing? The fuck kinda people watch these movies?

As for Attack the Block 2:

Anyway, I know this is low hanging fruit for a thread (being Twitter and all) but I also know many here take delight in the tears of Disney Star Wars fans, and it seems John Boyega does as well.
And with that, have a Happy New Year. :)

Holy shit, Twitter is really the garbage of the Internet :messenger_confused:

JordanN

Banned
If the SJW's abandon Star Wars forever, maybe then the franchise can finally get a second chance.

Maybe this was George's master plan? Grow Star Wars to be super big, Disney gets fed up with it, and then they sell the franchise back to him.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I remember when he was on that Kelly Ripa show and they asked him what kind of woman he likes... He said...

"A beautiful black woman"

THE WHOLE STUDIO GOT QUIET! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kelly and her co-host were taken aback and tried to recover. I knew he was the man right there. I'm the same way.

ZehDon

I....don't get it? What's going on?
John Boyega, who plays Finn in the new Star Wars films, highlighted in a tweet that the “romance” between Rey and Kylo - known amongst the fringe fan circles as “Reylo” - is kind of terrible, and actually pretty toxic when you break it down.

He’s also gone on to be more vocal is his dislike of the new films than his co-workers, save Mark Hamill himself. It’s clear that Boyega is disappointed with the role he was tasked to play, as are Oscar Isaac - who plays Poe - and, of course, Mark Hamill.

Twitter is now melting down because John’s voicing a very human opinion, but it doesn’t fit the narrative of “Star Wars fans hate the new films because their sexist, racist bigots”. John Boyega is a black man, and worked on the films - and twitter voices feel he should fall inline. Except John was a Star Wars fan before he got the gig, and it’s evident that he knows the films are garbage. Twitter can’t reconcile “all negative opinions are from racists and sexists” and “Black star of the film doesn’t like the film”. And we get to watch the twitter meltdown while John Boyega stirs the pot.

Last edited:

ManaByte

John Boyega, who plays Finn in the new Star Wars films, highlighted in a tweet that the “romance” between Rey and Kylo - known amongst the fringe fan circles as “Reylo” - is kind of terrible, and actually pretty toxic when you break it down.

He’s also gone on to be more vocal is his dislike of the new films than his co-workers, save Mark Hamill himself. It’s clear that Boyega is disappointed with the role he was tasked to play, as are Oscar Isaac - who plays Poe - and, of course, Mark Hamill.

Twitter is now melting down because John’s voicing a very human opinion, but it doesn’t fit the narrative of “Star Wars fans hate the new films because their sexist, racist bigots”. John Boyega is a black man, and worked on the films - and twitter voices feel he should fall inline. Except John was a Star Wars fan before he got the gig, and it’s evident that he knows the films are garbage. Twitter can’t reconcile “all negative opinions are from racists and sexists” and “Black star of the film doesn’t like the film”. And we get to watch the twitter meltdown while John Boyega stirs the pot.

That's not what's happening at all. He's mocking the "Reylos" which GV82 described pretty well. They're tumblr's final form and he's mocking their stupidity and love of Adam Driver by basically saying "Dude is dead, Rey forgot the kiss now Finn gets to lay pipe".

Last edited:

gatti-man

Is what he posted supposed to be something bad? It’s a silly joke who cares. Man people are crazy.

oh and agreed he has a right to be salty. I seriously doubt he signed on to Star Wars to be some weirdo side kick guy.

That's not what's happening at all. He's mocking the "Reylos" which GV82 described pretty well. They're tumblr's final form and he's mocking their stupidity and love of Adam Driver by basically saying "Dude is dead, Rey forgot the kiss now Finn gets to lay pipe".
That's how it started, but it has evolved into what you quoted. He's clearly tired of the rabid and toxic fanbase, and it's apparent that there is no longer a muzzle on him and his costars in the coming year. Look forward to it. :)

Finn got shafted hard. He went from the most interesting character in TFA to the butt of a joke sidequest in TLJ and (based on reading about the plot, because lol at paying to watch RotS) got cucked by an emo in the most fanficy way imaginable in RotS. I think Boyega thought the character would be more substantial (with hints of potentially becoming a Jedi), but when TLJ subverted expectations RotS just did away with "character" entirely to try to move on to the next trilogy and captivate big dumb action movie fans.

Beyond that, I think he just wants out because he sees what a stain his involvement is on his career (e.g. "I don't want to get Disney+'d") and how disastrous it would be to let the modern SJW fandom latch onto him. It kind of reminds me of the Twilight movies - they've got similar fandoms now (just look at all the FinnxPoe fujos, all the blue-hairs who projected onto Rose, all the cheering of the "romance" between Bella Rey and Edward Kylo). From what I understand, a ton of the Twilight fanbase hated the last movie for reasons that seemed calculated to piss them off, and the actors distanced themselves from the franchise.

I heard HXH was good but the rest is generic shonen trash. Some of the worst shit.

AoT is pretty great now, keeping up with the manga.

Rest is shit though.

Javthusiast

Banned
Look at people losing their mind on twitter etc. over some harmless sex joke. And making fun of dumb Reylo shippers.

Top Bottom