• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Boyega ridicules Star Wars + fans; also hints at Attack the Block 2

Bolivar687

Banned
Imagine being an aspiring young nerdist, you land Star Wars, they give you an interesting back story in a safe but promising reboot, and you spend the next four years of your career with the only part of the fandom that management caters to avidly cheering for your to be gay.

A lot of the magic of the first trilogy was built on the genuine friendship that the lead cast built with each other off camera. Can you really trust Oscar Isaac knowing that he creatively speculates on how "current-thinking" it would be if he sodomized your character???

#Phonepunk#

Banned
We have never seen a single toxic Tweet aimed at KMT, who didn’t blame fans for leaving Instagram in her NYTimds piece, that seems to be mostly a narrative hyped up by journalists. The Fandom Menace pointedly disavow person attacks on cast and crew. It seems shippers are the most brazen and toxic of all.

Rian must have been aware of the massive fame garnered by being in a SW film, attracting the attention of almost every racist on the planet, and coming more than a decade after Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd dealing w threatening messages even before Twitter etc, all this was known. Yet he made this woman play an unlovable character and he has successfully used her to dodge questions of being poor with his own POC writing. Effectively he dumped the blame for how unsatisfactory the plot was on her. This is why she gives the exposition dump, looking straight at the camera. He used her to troll the audience. People have said they like the actress and would rather see her in a better story but Rian would rather use her as a clickbait generating plot device.

I can’t wait for the day when people start to realize how much he has exploited them and specifically her in order to be this brave hero for justice. Some day he will milkshake duck and it will be glorious.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

We have never seen a single toxic Tweet aimed at KMT, who didn’t blame fans for leaving Instagram in her NYTimds piece, that seems to be mostly a narrative hyped up by journalists. The Fandom Menace pointedly disavow person attacks on cast and crew. It seems shippers are the most brazen and toxic of all.

Rian must have been aware of the massive fame garnered by being in a SW film, attracting the attention of almost every racist on the planet, and coming more than a decade after Ahmed Best and Jake Lloyd dealing w threatening messages even before Twitter etc, all this was known. Yet he made this woman play an unlovable character and he has successfully used her to dodge questions of being poor with his own POC writing. Effectively he dumped the blame for how unsatisfactory the plot was on her. This is why she gives the exposition dump, looking straight at the camera. He used her to troll the audience. People have said they like the actress and would rather see her in a better story but Rian would rather use her as a clickbait generating plot device.

I can’t wait for the day when people start to realize how much he has exploited them and specifically her in order to be this brave hero for justice. Some day he will milkshake duck and it will be glorious.
This has been shittiest thing about this whole Star Wars affair. Using POC's as shields for people with genuine criticism.

Except now one of the POC's is breaking the narrative and agreeing with the fans. I'm sure Disney is at a loss at how to deal with Boyega's breaking the narrative regarding toxic fandom.

Kenpachii

RMNViVH.png

773.jpg

Dabaus

Banned
Came here for the npc era “wish he knew his place” comment and wasn’t disappointed. Im not surprised someone there said that. It just goes to show how hypocritical and vapid sjws actually are.

MDSLKTR

Better then a free pass, he is one of a few people that made the first movie watchable. And I agree 100% that they completely wasted his character.

Disney should have given him his own series, he’s infinitely more watchable then any of the movies he’s in.

*Also attack the block was fantastic, more please!
He said on camera he doesn't want to get disney plused, his career is over.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of but at the same time he is just as bad as the people he is responding to. Even if he isnt like saying "fuck you", antagonizing them is just as bad as his poor behavior perpetuates theirs.
Their poor behavior will continue whether or not they are responded to.
But fuckwits like them need to be told to shut the fuck up, or even more asylums will be run by the inmates.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Their poor behavior will continue whether or not they are responded to.
But fuckwits like them need to be told to shut the fuck up, or even more asylums will be run by the inmates.
Yeah I don’t get “he needs to shut up he’s just as bad” what a load of shit. Everyone in the world can write to him but the man playing the character shouldn’t respond at all? Seems entirely unreasonable.

Last edited:

RavageX

I don't disagree with what he is saying. If you are part of a piece of work and you don't like the direction it is taking, why not be vocal?

People saying, "Oh he won't get work again in Hollywood."....well I think voicing your opinion is more important. Sitting down and shutting up even though you don't agree with things is kinda poor isn't it?

Plus, people take FICTIONAL stuff way too far, and kind of need to be woken up. It is not real. I love Star Trek, and disliked the new films and most of the Next Generation films, but I am not attacking anyone or crying about it on Twitter FFS.

iconmaster

Banned
I don’t really think it affects his career chances very much.

He’s criticizing plot, not people.

Turning on the director or actors would be bad, but I haven’t seen him say one word against any of them.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This all might be unprofessional of him, being a media personality and all, but who cares. Toxic fandom is awful and he is a thinking, feeling human being. If they shit on him on Twitter it's perfectly fine that grants quid pro quo in my opinion.

Besides, it's clear in the original tweets he's just having a laugh. Those people take all jokes so seriously now; the "laying pipe" joke makes him a misogynist? Then so are many women as well, because they make the same kinds of jokes about sex too.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Engaging with fans is fair, we've seen it backfire on stars though, fans are just more trouble than they are worth.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i think if anyone voluntarily uses Twitter they know what they are getting into.

not sure what kind of backfire he could get tho. crazy Reylos would write more death threats? add them to be pile. Rian Johnson's feelings are hurt? boo fucking hoo let me cry for this rich white man upset that the shit role he gave a minority actor was criticized.

this stuff about "he's unprofessional" well then Sir Alec Guiness and Harrison Ford were both unprofessional when they said they didn't give a fuck about it either.

feel like there is a narrative going around where if you don't like a movie that is toxic, and it's perpetuated by people who identify so strongly with a film that if others don't like it they feel personally attacked. truth is people can feel how they want about a movie, like it or not. what is toxic is when you threaten people, not that you didn't like a movie. the idea that he can't make fun of it is baffling to me.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I am just getting into anime, so I only do the super popular series. I was blown tf away by titan and One punch man. What should I watch next?
That is a really broad question. There are many different types that it’s better to know what type of television do you like in general

I guess start with the classics like Cowboy Bebop or Berserk.

Last edited:

Fbh

LOL I'd be disappointed too. Dude was basically the costar in TFA and was then shifted to pointless side character + token black guy.

I'll also never understand people that get so damn invested in which 2 fictional characters will hook up.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

naruto and bleach are good? jesus fucking christ lmao. watch something that isnt braindead shounen shit made for 5 year olds.

Again your taste is bad nothing he can do about it.

Naruto putted anime on the map for many people. The fights in it where awesome, the enemy's where great and it wasn't sugar coating people with nobody ever dying. People dropped dead like flies everywhere and it made u wonder who was next in the next episode ( game of throne kind of feeling ).

Hey kids lets go into this forest to play a game so u can became this legit ninja, oh wait u dead.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f48716d514e6b794b4b32414358673d3d2d3231303935343031352e313433313131616532366637366437322e676966

Then u had awesome fights like this:

653c1e6dc4ac7dbd9cdf0a6ed964fb66.gif

Probably up there as the best fight anime ever had to offer in any series. This completely talentless kid vs this demon kid that blows everybody up with his sand in seconds and he puts up a dam good fight that really drags u in with great animations. The 3D camera usage was really next level at that point. It was incredible well done and probably opened the series to most people as u had to see it. Everybody in my class was sure as heck watching it and talking about it.

Then u got stuff like this, by far my most high ranked enemy in any of these anime's and really well done character.

Itachi-1.png

Pure evil, total control, extremely skilled, barely moves. Watch him in the eyes and u are locked up in his torture dungeon before the fight even starts getting stabbed for the rest of your entire life.

DevotedDefiantBlacknorwegianelkhound-max-1mb.gif

Oh hey how you doing?

9348A965CF59A6950AC54D89FD05FB71304B50FF

Oh wait you're dead, not really just kidding. getting stabbed for the rest of your natural life that passes in seconds in the real world.

There where tons of interesting characters and well worked out story's. Sure it dragged on but so does any other anime that isn't a season or two type of series. And yea at the end it became borderline bad but that doesn't dismiss the early series which was pretty much at its peak.

Then about Bleach.

Incredible interesting characters with lots of good fights in there. Aizen was probably one of the best main villains in any series. A skill pretty much the same as itachi but a bit different to the point he's simple not killable unless he chooses not too. U never know where this guy is even if he's straight in front of u. Sure the ending it became dragon ball z power struggle matches. but the fights with espada's and the characters like that toxic professor where absolutely fantastic. It was a dragon ball z and naruto hybrid.

I loved every bit off it after they entered there spirit world.

I still hate they never made it further to showcase u the king place as the series stopped after it because it catched up on it. Not much of a anime reader. But would have loved to see the bankai of kenpachi animated properly.

Then attack on titan, probably one of the best first seasons. The brutal killing that goes on and this major threat is well done and probably one of the fast anime that blow up in western audiences ( it was pretty much a flash back towards naruto's starting area ). Everybody i know here was talking about it when u saw the titan in the wall. It was a instant hit. Sadly season 2 came way to late and it was total shit to the point nobody cared anymore. Season 1 however was great and absolutely solid choice.

Seven deadly sins, didn't really like it yet my friends do. They all love it. It's a hit or miss i guess. Still fights in it where awesome when they did happen.

Hunter x hunter, absolutely fantastic series, sadly the last season dragged on a bit to long in there freeza arc but in general really well done anime on its own that doesn't feel like its riddled with fillers.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
there is a double standard at play. Rian Johnson can troll people all he likes, both in Twitter and in his films, he can be celebrated for it even. he is "daring" and "brave". but an actor who has far little power compared to this famous director needs to "shut up" and not be "unprofessional". it is a double standard. amazingly the extremely powerful and privileged director who writes these terrible roles refuses to answer for his own internalized racism/sexism and constantly uses his exploited, vulnerable minorities as a shield from criticism. he does this knowingly. we all know Rian is a huge Twitter head, he knows the kind of loonies social media attracts, and he did when he wrote the movie. he was trolling people on Twitter when he wrote Finn/Rose's roles, he was aware of the toxicity they would be subjected to.

if we want to talk about responsibility then John does not get to decide how his character is written, he is commenting on something written by a third party just like the rest of us, despite also working as a performer in the piece itself. this is how he can now appreciate the series, as a fan, as well as a worker. tho he was in it, he had limited to no say in the writing, which sort of puts him on the side of us, the audience, who also did not write it.

sad that people demand he be a totally compliant worker who does not say anything and has no opinions. isn't that classist? isn't that silencing the oppressed worker in favor of the privileged dictator at the top?

Twitter and social media are toxic mediums of themselves, regardless of topic. KMT left social media bc she just didn't want to deal w it all, in fact she said nothing about toxic fans or critics of Rian's film, all that is a twisted narrative. perhaps had she stayed on, she would have been critical of her character as well, and we would see SJWs calling her racist against Rian. would not surprise me in the least. that's the problem with "allies" they think they are some special unique enlightened thing, they have become blind to their own internalized isms. the filmmakers of course included.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I....don't get it? What's going on?

The insane weirdos that are unsurpisingly a large part of the new Disney Star Wars fanbase are angry because someone is talking like a normal human being and unlike most Hollywood fakes that normal human being isn't backing down... well, at least for now.

Last edited:
If the SJW's abandon Star Wars forever, maybe then the franchise can finally get a second chance.

Maybe this was George's master plan? Grow Star Wars to be super big, Disney gets fed up with it, and then they sell the franchise back to him.

George's plan was simple; Give the franchise to someone who will fuck it up, making him look better in comparison and retrospect. Then, like you say, they will pay him a shit load to ret-con, fix, remake or start over with the Star wars trilogies.

What the fuck is a shipper?

Why does the internet make up so many stupid fucking words, every other week?

I'm still trying to figure out what Shade, L, finnpoe, peepo and boomer mean.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ren also sensed him when Finn has his realization on the battle field in the first scene. Obviously Kylo isn’t powerful enough to be always scanning everybody’s brains, I figured that was him picking up on something forcey Finn was going thru

I mean the movie was called “The Force Awakens” the idea of the force awakening in a stormtrooper was pretty potent. but he had to go to Canto Bight to be taught a lesson instead...

Last edited:
Top Bottom