• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Staten: The open world of Halo was significantly scaled back compared to original vision

I appreciate the honesty. What’s wrong with being honest w the community and letting people know what happened in development?
Usually devs mention what had to get cut out before the sequel comes out, but well after the previous release is done. So it's a complete game but then you're like, "well we wanted to add X to the original, but we were able to do it in the sequel".

This is more like "you know that game that's been delayed a year and still incomplete, well there was a bunch of stuff we had to cut out, and let us know when you're done beta testing the co-op" . . . hardly the same sentiment.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
"We didn't end up cutting that much ultimately from the open world but I know that from the original designs there was a pretty significant scaling back of what the team had hoped at one point that they could deliver on."

lol... what?

I was thinking the same thing lol

From the 2018 teaser trailer, it's obvious that the vision for Halo Infinite was for it to have desert, jungle, and forest biomes with perhaps some areas underwater. Additionally, wild-life was going to be a big focus of the game as they modeled alien rhino herds and other animal species for a reason. It seems they had to scale back for one reason or another before Joseph Staten entered the picture and by then the focus was on only a forest biome with Forerunner metal dungeons in-between story areas and wildlife being almost completely removed aside from small insignificant rodents and birds. I think it's safe to say additional biomes will make a comeback with story expansions every 12-18 months.

Helghan

"We didn't end up cutting that much ultimately from the open world but I know that from the original designs there was a pretty significant scaling back of what the team had hoped at one point that they could deliver on."
The current open world isn't that big really... They are biting off more than they can chew. I know they still want to deliver on a great SP and MP experience, but not sure if that's realistic nowadays. It just takes way too much effort to do both.

bringing up reviews by people that don't even like videogames and are only in the business because they failed as journalists

yeah, that's the kind of audience I would trust with judging a videogame :)

here's another reason the game's a POS, just because I love shitting on this game, it's kinda cathartic you know...

yet another one of many betrails by 343i, shitting on everything that makes Halo what it once was.
"oh it's just a little detail, not important!" (I know that's what you want to say next) yeah, sure, but it's hundreds if not thousands of these little things that added up to the dogshit game that is Halo Infinite

It’s not dogshit though. Halo Infinite’s campaign was pretty damn good. The story was slightly lacking but it’s the fist campaign in what appears to be a series of many campaigns. Secondly, the gameplay is solid and is only getting better from here.

Top Bottom