• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams and Paramount Pictures team up for a live action movie of "Your Name"

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
People who haven't seen the original movie yet should really be avoiding this thread like the plague.

MMarston

Best case plot scenario:

Mitsuha is still a girl in small town Japan while Taki is a semi-first gen immigrant in San Fran/Seattle/Vancouver or if we really wanna milk the shit out of distance, NY/Toronto. Given that, you might have an interesting immigrant/intercultural theme going on in the background as well.

Regardless, my current trajectory for this is "set sail for fail."

I wonder who they're eyeing to direct.

I mean it will easily "work" but I liked the cultural element of the original,
I can't see them being able to recreate the contrast.

Unless they did something like actually keeping Mitsuha a Japanese country girl and have Taki be from NYC or something.

sonicmj1

The premise is easy to turn into a romantic drama set just about anywhere, but so much of the film's power feels tied up in its parallels with the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami that you'd lose a lot transplanting it, which you'd have to make up somewhere else.

Hopefully they do a good job with it.

MMarston

How good/bad is Abrams in terms of diversity?

He ain't directing.

If he was, Super 8 is the best gauge for something tonally similar (well, at minimum). Still, Abrams hasn't really tackled diversity apart from those few Lost episodes and his two Star Trek films. I have no memory at all how the former played out, and the latter case is "No shit, it's gotta be there. It's Star Trek."

OldMuffin

Ah can't wait for the white washing. Also one of the main draws of your name is it's visuals something that they are not going to be able to replicate. I wish the big wigs at Hollywood realised that their are certain properties in other medium that are popular because they use the strength of the medium they are in and there is no way in hell they could replicate it in cinema (another example is minecraft which is also getting a movie). If they are really interested in making anime adaptations, they should look at black lagoon, it isn't so visual heavy and it had a lot of western influence as is.

Qvoth

no way in hell this movie is even going to be set in japan
definitely going to set in US, and the mountain scene is going to be mount rushmore or some shit, i dunno what other famous mountain US has

ZoddGutts

An adaptation of this would make an easier western remake.

DRYRlDI.jpg

Line_HTX

Dream logic. Do you know what date your dreams take place on? No? That's what's going on.

They should white wash the guy and not the girl because yellow fever or something.

Asian male lead. Black female lead.

Something like The Great Wall with Matt Damon?

;P

It's gonna suck. Why would the creator allow this to happen to his art knowing full well Hollywood can't do anime adaptations right?

It's gonna suck. Why would the creator allow this to happen to his art knowing full well Hollywood can't do anime adaptations right?

He probably is going to get some kind of financial compensation for this, while he continues to make his own thing. It's not like this is even assured to come to fruition - plenty of Hollywood film adaptations get attempted but fail to ever actually be made.

BBboy20

The premise is easy to turn into a romantic drama set just about anywhere, but so much of the film's power feels tied up in its parallels with the 3/11 earthquake and tsunami that you'd lose a lot transplanting it, which you'd have to make up somewhere else.

. . .

Remember_me_film_poster.jpg

Oh god.

mdubs

Banned
If Asian Americans were a thing they'd have sought them out when casting!

Who is assuming that? Do you really think when we see Idris Elba playing Nelson Mandela we think he's actually South African?

I don't know because I don't presume to have the lived experiences necessary to know the appropriateness of that. What I do have an opinion on is that it is not right for people, in the context of trying to preserve diversity in the case of a story that is intrinsically Japanese, to ask for "Asians" and then be satisfied. Ask for Japanese actors. People from Asia are not a monolith and I am sick of (usually white people) people calling for the end of white-washing before presuming that any old "Asian" will do for a role in a way that vastly undermines the historical and cultural differences from people of different heritages in that region. Same thing for Mulan - that story takes place in China and people should be calling for it to be acted by Chinese actors, instead of calling for it to be acted by"Asians".

Best case plot scenario:

Mitsuha is still a girl in small town Japan while Taki is a semi-first gen immigrant in San Fran/Seattle/Vancouver or if we really wanna milk the shit out of distance, NY/Toronto. Given that, you might have an interesting immigrant/intercultural theme going on in the background as well.

Regardless, my current trajectory for this is "set sail for fail."

I wonder who they're eyeing to direct.

I see the locations to be more like the Midwest and LA/NYC. Would be nice if they choose lesser used cities than the usual cliches, but who knows as of now.

Dice//

Banned
still waiting on my hollywood princess mononoke or nausicaa of the valley of the wind

These would be kinda 'more important' to adapt, IMO. But hey... a really pretty anime can hopefully get some big hollywood bucks producing it.

Or it's gonna get stuck in development hell by this time next week like a lot of these seem to.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Hurricanes and wildires.

I never watched this but how much scenery does Benadryl Pumpkinpatch chew??

Briarios

I'm sure they'll use teens with one in like NY or LA and the other is Kansas or Wyoming or something. I don't have a problem with this. It'll be different enough that it will be its own thing.

Why the heck is Shinkai allowing this? Nobody asked for this. I'm usually in the camp of letting hollywood attempt at doing something (and ultimately end up hanging themselves in the process). But there is literally zero way they can do this. Heck, one of the main draws of the film is how incredible its Animation is. If its just generic live action, they have no chance of it succeeding.

Especially since Funimation put out a pretty good dub with translated music and all, on top of the subs being great if you want the pure experience.

Briarios

Why the heck is Shinkai allowing this? Nobody asked for this. I'm usually in the camp of letting hollywood attempt at doing something (and ultimately end up hanging themselves in the process). But there is literally zero way they can do this. One of the main draws of the film is how incredible its Animation is. If its just generic live action, they have no chance of it succeeding.

Especially since Funimation put out a pretty good dub with translated music and all, on top of the subs being great if you want the pure experience.

Maybe HE wants to see what they do with it. A lot of creators love seeing new interpretations of their works. It's the fanboys that have the issues.

Edit: I should add, maybe they just offered him piles of cash, too ... Who knows? But, it's worth seeing what their take is on it - they have a good screenwriter.

Why the heck is Shinkai allowing this? Nobody asked for this.

If you are the kind of person who was willing to go see this movie in theatres you are NOT the target audience for this version.

Maybe that's hard for anime fans to swallow. I watched this movie in theatres, TWICE, and loved it. I can easily envision a good and popular live action version that will appeal more to western audiences.

That's okay too, you know? Adaptations can be good. It's not just filthy baka gaijin messing up the glorious Japanese source.

I adore this movie and a good chunk of that is due to he animation/music/general Japanese-ness. Not a CHANCE they use ZenZenZense for this.

I'm sure they can make a decent adaptation using the basic premise, and hey, it might be good!

At the very least it'll introduce more people to the original. If even one more person watches the original because of this one then that justifies its existence.

Top Bottom