• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "We will make sure the PlayStation 5 generation has more exclusive software than ever before

sublimit

Banned
Talk is cheap Jimbo...
At least he is already delivering the exclusives. Unlike someone else...
Xbox-Series-X--1068x534.jpg

HeresJohnny

Oh please, we can all love god guy Phil as much as we want, but c’mon… :p. Who are we fooling here :LOL:?
There are on both sides partisan double standards, but I have seen nobody on the PS side showing a Cult of Personality for Ryan like Phil Spencer gets from his fanbase (nothing will stick to him no matter if he criticised exclusives one day and buys a developer or gets a timed exclusive the next, being Xbox Games Studio GM has no responsibility of anything that happened, he can speak I’ll about console wars and fanboys and he still employs people like Greenberg that make of console warrish trolling online an art form, etc…).
Truth. Spencer has literally fed the Xbox base platitudes and BS for five years and they’re still asking for more.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Gravity Rush
Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian
Knack
Knack 2
Astrobot
Why do people keep generating drama as if Japan Studios was closing?
It's not closing, they're simply putting Team Asobi at the studio's helm, the team that makes Astrobot. They're making more Astrobot in the medium-term.

It doesn't mean they're never making anything else ever again. Team Gravity had already disbanded and formed a different studio last year, and so had most of Team Ico back in 2015.
The only franchise being orphaned is Knack which had Mark Cerny at the helm, but at this point everyone should know Cerny is much better at architecting console hardware than making games.

Fake

yeah but I think people who are hyped and want to buy the game will do so on ps5, rather than waiting for pc release 1 year. If it happens same day? sure

I think the big question is, if people buy those games whatever being an exclusive or not, why Sony print the tag 'only on playstation'?

If people don't care, Sony could stop doing this, right?

Reactions: Isa
not really. MS is buying devs to create games for them. That is more like Bloodborne which sony paid to develop a new game for them. Most of these other deals are Sony just paying to block games from other platforms that would other wise get those games.

Microsoft has a shit tons of deals keeping games from other platforms

Last edited:

kingfish

MS is buying devs to create games for them. Most of these other deals are Sony just paying to block games from other platforms that would other wise get those games.
The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonored, Starfield, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, etc...

Should we go on?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How do you know this?

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonored, Starfield, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, etc...

Should we go on?

MS bought those companies to create games for them. Sony actively pays to delay(timed exclusive)/keep games off other platforms. MS use to do it all t he time as well but not so much these days.. Sony still does it constantly, There was a few threads recently. But its always easy to see when ever one of them does it.

rofif

Banned
I think the big question is, if people buy those games whatever being an exclusive or not, why Sony print the tag 'only on playstation'?

If people don't care, Sony could stop doing this, right?
It is only on playstation. Technically it's true for limited time or true always when you only talk about consoles. These games are not on xbox

MS bought those companies to create games for them. Sony actively pays to delay(timed exclusive)/keep games off other platforms. MS use to do it all t he time as well but not so much these days.. Sony still does it constantly, There was a few threads recently. But its always easy to see when ever one of them does it.

Yeah if Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda they wouldn't have made Starfield...
:messenger_unamused:

skit_data

You mean the threads that was proven to be completely normal marketing agreements between two companies?

Many of these deals are made because the publisher also get something out of it in terms of marketing through State of Plays etc.
Being promoted by the market leader in consoles via their platforms comes with terms and agreements that the publisher have to follow as well. That time could’ve been spent on other games.

Your claim is specifically claiming Sony does this while MS doesn’t. What about the new STALKER for example?

Last edited:

Renozokii

It's not even that, I'm just quoting what jimbo had been preaching (we believe in generations) as PR as soon as Xbox released their statement of crossgen games would stay for years.

It had nothing to do whether or not the current lineup is solid or not, personally even with that list I'm not even on board. Only returnal I'm midly interested in, surely after sales.
Right but the statement isn’t subjective. Objectively they do believe in generations as they have several next gen only games out and coming out while the only next gen only game on Xbox is a third party that’s a timed exclusive.

Had it not been for the production shortages and COVID more of their games would be solidly next gen only but that’d be limiting sales really hard at the moment.

Fake

It is only on playstation. Technically it's true for limited time or true always when you only talk about consoles. These games are not on xbox

There are two differents tags if you're not familiar.

One is 'Only on Playstation' and other is 'Console exclusive', with IMO the second one is the common used for Playstation/PC game.

If you look into the playstation store, some games already get out of the 'Only on Playstation' zone.

Last edited:
How about they make sure we can actually buy a PS5. That should be top priority at Sony.
Everybody, Sony MS, heck even the carindustry, are screaming for chips, but the chipsfactories cant produce not enough chips.
Believe me if Sony could they would produce many many more PS5's.
So Sony is not to blame.

Last edited:

Nubulax

Yeah if Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda they wouldn't have made Starfield...
:messenger_unamused:
Im still not sure if Starfield is actually Xbox exclusive if the claims that it is going to be released possibly 2021 or early 2022 are to be believed. If that is the case the game would have been mostly done before Microsoft even accquired the Studio

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Oh please, we can all love god guy Phil as much as we want, but c’mon… :p. Who are we fooling here :LOL:?
There are on both sides partisan double standards, but I have seen nobody on the PS side showing a Cult of Personality for Ryan like Phil Spencer gets from his fanbase (nothing will stick to him no matter if he criticised exclusives one day and buys a developer or gets a timed exclusive the next, being Xbox Games Studio GM has no responsibility of anything that happened, he can speak I’ll about console wars and fanboys and he still employs people like Greenberg that make of console warrish trolling online an art form, etc…).
This.

Im still not sure if Starfield is actually Xbox exclusive if the claims that it is going to be released possibly 2021 or early 2022 are to be believed. If that is the case the game would have been mostly done before Microsoft even accquired the Studio

In my mind the only reason Microsoft bought Bethesda is for their GamePass catalogue.

Varteras

Gold Member
Thread is just making me realise that a lack of Bethesda games on Playstation leaves a massive hole in the PS5's lineup.
That largely depends on the success of those games. Zenimax wasn't exactly on a hot streak just prior to acquisition. Fallout 76 was a disaster. Arkane, Tango, and Machine were underperforming commercially and hadn't really produced critical darlings as of late. Sony already locked in Deathloop and Ghostwire, with the former already being delayed to later this year which certainly means whatever the timeline is for their next project it's been pushed back as well. ESO is already on PS5 so it won't be an issue for many years. Alpha Dog is a mobile developer and Roundhouse hasn't put out a game yet. Even when they do, they're basically Human Head regrouped so expect whatever is coming from them to suck and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't. Doom was the only real gem shining out of them lately. Now I do fully expect the next Elder Scrolls and mainline Fallout games to be great but we're a very long way from those games. Elder Scrolls 6 is most likely second half of this generation and I'm guessing we might not see another Fallout from Bethesda themselves until the next generation. So, yeah. Not really that big of a deal. Whatever games come from the Zenimax studios not being on PlayStation will feel normal very quickly. There will be plenty of other games to play.

LMJ

Timed exclusive doesnt count jim, dont forget it

Except it absolutely does, there is a reason that FF7 Remake will be associated with the PS4, even if/when/ it comes to the BOne/PC...

Mindshare is a huge thing, and when people today have the attention span of a gnat, they tend to associate said games with the first system it was released on. It doesn't matter if Ghostwire and Deathloop are timed...if they're good than people with a PS4/5 will buy it, and if they're phenomenal than they will be considered PS games by most, lets plays, reviews, etc will all be on PS. The only people whom will wait for a Special edition/other console version are people who were not part of the PS Eco system anyway/enthusiasts.

Oh he spoke!!!

It’s so funny the differences from fans to “ bosses” from Xbox and PlayStation.

One gets hyped if he breathes

Another gets a “meh” or a “hate you” when he gives an interview.

Sony has been delivering great exclusives for the last 6 years; Xbox hasn’t. Yet apparently Jim’s lying about more exclusives.

The front page is littered with Xbox warriors, see this guy.
One is making good decisions, the other found Sega’s late 90s playbook of going to war with their Japanese division and thought it was a great plan.

And Phil has been promising the game are coming since 2015.

Last edited:
Thread is just making me realise that a lack of Bethesda games on Playstation leaves a massive hole in the PS5's lineup.

Why do you think Microsoft bought them? To deny the PlayStation those games.
Xbox is trying to win with buying exclusivity. It is the fastest way- buying studios is easier than growing them yourself.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Except it absolutely does, there is a reason that FF7 Remake will be associated with the PS4, even if/when/ it comes to the BOne/PC...

Mindshare is a huge thing, and when people today have the attention span of a gnat, they tend to associate said games with the first system it was released on. It doesn't matter if Ghostwire and Deathloop are timed...if they're good than people with a PS4/5 will buy it, and if they're phenomenal than they will be considered PS games by most, lets plays, reviews, etc will all be on PS. The only people whom will wait for a Special edition/other console version are people who were not part of the PS Eco system anyway/enthusiasts.

I never associate games only with consoles, i associate games with devs.

Thats why iam not interested in any time exclusive Xbox games. I will just wait longer and get them on Playstation or PC. Its not like iam getting FF7 Remake on Xbox and the first stuff that comes up in my mind is "WOW they got the PS 4 game now!" its more like "Woah Square Enix is putting games on xbox now"

They could even put Suikoden on Steam and i will just congratulate Konami for finally doing th eright thing and not "Wow i can play my favorite playstation game now on steam"

Last edited:

Elios83

Jim's strategy seems focused around getting exclusives through multiple sources:
1.Their expanded first party studios with the main teams now developing multiple games simultaneously.
2.Many collaborations with external developers ( Jade Raymond's studio, the partnership with Firewalk Studios, the rumored game with Remedy, the investement with Kadokawa/From Software that will definetly bring some games)
3.Timed exclusive deals with third parties, we have seen a few (with Final Fantasy XVI, Project Athia/Forespoken, FF7Remake, Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire) but probably many more are coming.
4. Considering merger and acquisitions that make sense and with selected companies that have proven to have a successful relationship with them (see Insomniac).

Next big PS5 games showcase in June will be really interesting. I expect them to annouce tons of stuff and huge titles.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, no PS5 Sony games are on PC yet right? And probably won't be for quite a few years. What we've seen so far is PS4 games releasing on PC.

Enjay

Banned
Sounds like PR damage control after the backlash against him, to me. A low risk statement meant to regain the trust of the fans. Problem is we hear the same shit at the beginning of every generation.
Yeah this is as valid as EA's unprecedented partnership with Nintendo was when the wii u was coming out. Just lip service.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Sony can only release content with the studios it has. I expect the same level as PS4 not higher. Unless Sony acquires more teams and studios here.
Also, i think we don't discuss their outpout enough, games take longer to make on PS4 gen than PS3.

For example Naughty Dog made 3 Uncharted games + The Last of Us(two new ips) on PS3, while on PS4 they made one Uncharted +The Lost Legacy and The Last of Us part 2, no sign of their announced multiplayer mode.

Yeah the quality is still really high, but there are less games on the same timeframe ☹️ there may be less games if Sony doesn't work with more studios

Reactions: Isa
there may be less games if Sony doesn't work with more studios

They may have expanded all their studios (except Japan Studio). Sony World Wide Studios are always for more developers. What if their studios are making more than one game at once. We keep hearing of rumor that Cory Barlog is working on a new IP while God of War Ragnarok is being developed with a new director.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony can only release content with the studios it has. I expect the same level as PS4 not higher. Unless Sony acquires more teams and studios here.
Some of their studios have also grown in size (and are thus able to at worst prototype more concepts in parallel and share) and there is a benefit to have studios that you have grown organically over many years and have lots of people that work very well together and help each other as a world wide studio org.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
you seem to forget that Sony is expanding the size of their studios.

Top Bottom