• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan talks pricing, cloud and exclusivity

alot of useless bitching. Since everyone here is going to buy it regardless.

I expect PS4 at 900p 30, PS4 1080p 30, PS5 4K 60 with ray tracing and zero load times.

quite frankly without the dualsense, I wouldnt believe in generations. graphics arent enough for me.

Keihart

Fucking Jim Ryan, he is so unlikable in interviews or on camera. Giving those out of touch answers doesn't help either, he's just as bullshitty as Phill but unlike him, Jim it's not even close to be in touch with gaming.
At least Phil knows when to spin and whatnot, i guess Jim Ryan's job it's not the same, but he should then stay out of mind and out of sight, he is not making any favors to the brand.

I mean, for god's sake, even Yosp who isn't even on charge of WWS anymore now does a better job for the brand with his in touch tweets now and then.

Last edited:
By better framerate I mean you can probably play it at 120fps on RPCS3 if you want to, if you have hardware that can support it. Or you can play it with VRR. It's a different situation to PS5, which is either 4K30 or 1080p(or 1440?)60 but not locked 60 and with no VRR.

Demons Souls 2020 = Demons Souls 2009 with fancier graphics. It's the same game. Saying you can't play it anywhere else is like saying because Sonic the Hedgehog 2 plays in 1080p on consoles it's not the same game as the original on the mega drive. It is, it's just got a graphical update. Same game.

I'm sure astrobot is great, but it's a tech demo. I'll give it to you then, 1 single game that can't be played anywhere else. Happy?
It’s 4k30 and 1440p60 both locked on PS5. But I mean, sure, you can play the 2009 game at 120fps on PC but anyone with eyes would pick the 2020 game - it is a massive visual upgrade.

As for your Sonic comparison, you’re just talking about resolution which makes it just a port. If they remade the game, then it would be something else.

And no, not happy with just Astrobot - give me Demon’s Souls as well.

It just sucks, Sony completely reversed their earlier statements, where they said they believe in console generations.

And I don't want to hear the makers say anymore, that nothing have been compromised and you have a true next gen game, because it is just not true. Next gen is not just about increasing the graphic fidelity, but create your game with the knowledge of the fast SSD speeds, so you don't need artificial reloading sections, like an elevator ride or the gateway at GoW.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It’s 4k30 and 1440p60 both locked on PS5. But I mean, sure, you can play the 2009 game at 120fps on PC but anyone with eyes would pick the 2020 game - it is a massive visual upgrade.

As for your Sonic comparison, you’re just talking about resolution which makes it just a port. If they remade the game, then it would be something else.

And no, not happy with just Astrobot - give me Demon’s Souls as well.
Pretty sure DF said the 60fps mode has dips down to 50fps in their testing (I haven’t watched but that was in someone’s tldw in the thread). That’s not locked.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

He really did flip flop on his generation talk huh? hopefully now he realises that being honest is better in the long run, he kinda has a history of bullshiting though....

Zatzuken

No one was expecting third party games to go next gen only.

At the start of the gen it's usually the first party games that are used to demonstrate what the new console can do. Which is why people are disappointed.

And look how we all look back at knack and killzone Shadow fall as absolute classics...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
yeah it's totally not suspicious for him to deny any comment on the question...

what would you think if I asked someone "did you ever kill a child?" and that person answered "I can't speak about this at this moment!"

It's actually a reasonable response.

Ryan's job isn't to announce details of upcoming games right there. He's letting SSM do that.

I think this is NeoGAF reading too much into a non answer.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's actually a reasonable response.

Ryan's job isn't to announce details of upcoming games right there. He's letting SSM do that.

I think this is NeoGAF reading too much into a non answer.
As president and CEO of SIE what Jim Ryan says is what people are going to believe about the company and its direction. There is no such thing as "it's not his job to say that" for Jim Ryan. He decides what information is communicated with everything he says about the company. "I have nothing to say about that right now" is not "I don't have the answer to that question" and the distinction is something that analysts pick up on. It's the kind of thing that can affect the value of the company.

Sony needs a PR person. Jim Ryan is not as relatable as Phil Spencer and probably shouldn't be trying to be the face of PlayStation. Spencer gives off dbag vibes, but he's the kind of guy dudebro shooter fans would want to have a beer with. Ryan seems lIke more of the white wine with grapes and cheese kind of guy in his appearances.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Asked whether the game will be released for PS4 too, Ryan told The Telegraph: “Sorry. I’ve got nothing to say about that today.”

The Telegraph suggested some fans have expressed disappointment with Sony’s strategy of developing PS5 games that also being built for the less powerful PS4, and asked Ryan how long Sony might continue making cross-gen titles.

The first thing to say is that our PS5 experiences or versions of these games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set. So I think offering a PS5 version of these games for the PS5 community and then a PS4 version of these games to the PS4 community, I don’t see what’s wrong with that,” Ryan said.

“We’ve got a community of PS4 gamers 100 million-strong. It would be wrong to walk away from those people too early. And they’ve been engaged with their PS4s this year under lockdown to a greater extent than at any point over the course of the cycle. They’re using their PlayStations. They’re happy with their PlayStations. Why would we stop giving them games?”
Stop lying bitch, you can't use 100% of ssd and ryzen cpu when you have to run the same game on an ancient notebook cpu and 5400rpm mechanical hard disk.

Make 2 completely different version of the games with different features and maybe i'm gonna believe you...

If GoW is on the PS4 I'm going to be like.....
ImpishTerrificBarbet-max-1mb.gif

😡

Damn, thats from GOW2016? I thought it was a pg13 snorefest. That looks brutal.

TheAssist

I really do wonder what people expect devs to be able to do within the first year of a console.

Even if the game was exclusive to the PS5, I doubt it would change much in terms of gameplay compared to last game. The simple fact is that the precise hardware capabilities werent known for long enough to actually design a whole game around it. Even if you know there is going to be a SSD in there you cant know what exactly its able to do. So designing around it is very hard (most general gamedesign is done in pre-production, so in this case that would probably be in 2018). Also I wouldnt expect huuuge changes in design from a direct sequel. Like most sequels its gonna have new weapons, new gear, new world, new characters and all that. But Kratos is still going to Kratos. He wont start travelling at light speed or jump to outer space because of the SSD. Sure some setpiece moments might be different and level design is very likely going to suffer unless they pull a splinter cell (PS2/Gamecube vs OG XBox) out of their hats, but I doubt that.
In 2021 I expect no game to be radically different from anything we've seen this gen, because there simply wasnt enough time to design for the new hardware. On neither system. I do understand MS's approach in this regard and I do understand Sony doing the same. It doesnt make sense from a financial point of view and it hardly makes any sense from a technological or gameplay point of view. So why not maximize earnings while you're at it.
2021 is gonna have a lot of really good looking and feeling (60fps, dual sense, 3D audio) games on the PS5, but nothing new in terms of gamedesign. Maybe, if we are lucky, 2022 will change that for both systems. Next year is still packed with amazing games, albeit with tried and true methods that these devs know that work.

Redlancet

Banned
Fucking Jim Ryan, he is so unlikable in interviews or on camera. Giving those out of touch answers doesn't help either, he's just as bullshitty as Phill but unlike him, Jim it's not even close to be in touch with gaming.
At least Phil knows when to spin and whatnot, i guess Jim Ryan's job it's not the same, but he should then stay out of mind and out of sight, he is not making any favors to the brand.

I mean, for god's sake, even Yosp who isn't even on charge of WWS anymore now does a better job for the brand with his in touch tweets now and then.

the thing is jim its delivering,philp not,and that its what matters

dano1

A Sheep
“The first thing to say is that our PS5 experiences or versions of these games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set. So I think offering a PS5 version of these games for the PS5 community and then a PS4 version of these games to the PS4 community, I don’t see what’s wrong with that,” Ryan said.

Please all you want to be CEOs tell me what’s wrong with this!!!
As long as it made for the PS5 from the start that’s all that should matter!!

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
“The first thing to say is that our PS5 experiences or versions of these games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set. So I think offering a PS5 version of these games for the PS5 community and then a PS4 version of these games to the PS4 community, I don’t see what’s wrong with that,” Ryan said.

I think that if that is true, there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't believe it's a true statement, at least, not in the way we perceive it. I don't think they will write two different full sets of code for a title. I think they would write one set of code and scale back features/resolution..etc. Most view a built from ground up for PS5 to be something which is coded tailored and optimized only for the current gen hardware.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Do you really believe that both versions of the game are going to be developed separately, from the ground up, specifically for each console? Are you really that naive? Especially when the PS5 is capable of running the PS4 code natively?

Keihart

the thing is jim its delivering,philp not,and that its what matters
Delivering in what ? are you talking about the launch games and the PS5 itself? all of that was in movement already years ago, it has nothing to do with the initiatives of the new management. We are going to see the fruits of the new management with the next batch of games and changes in the console in the next 2 years at the earliest. Just as a reference, The Demon's Souls remake, the reason to buy a PS5 now, was the last game that yosp pushed for development.
So much so, that Shu it's even in the credits as a special thanks....GoT and Demon's Souls remake are the last gifts from Shu management of WWS.
Whatever happens with the PS5 and games like HZD and GOW now are going to be reflections of Ryan's and Hulst initiatives.

Redlancet

Banned
Delivering in what ? are you talking about the launch games and the PS5 itself? all of that was in movement already years ago, it has nothing to do with the initiatives of the new management. We are going to see the fruits of the new management with the next batch of games and changes in the console in the next 2 years at the earliest. Just as a reference, The Demon's Souls remake, the reason to buy a PS5 now, was the last game that yosp pushed for development.
So much so, that Shu it's even in the credits as a special thanks....GoT and Demon's Souls remake are the last gifts from Shu management of WWS.
Whatever happens with the PS5 and games like HZD and GOW now are going to be reflections of Ryan's and Hulst initiatives.
Im talking about the guy who is in charge right now, we can Talk in two years about The future

Mojoraisin

Great rebuttal. Care to elaborate?

Number of sales doesn't really matter if it makes less money. They'd rather sell 5mil at $70 and make $20 profit per copy than sell 10mil at $50 and make $0 profit.
Of course they’d rather have revenue of 500 mill over 350 mill and sell the game for 50. There is no way that distribution costs are anywhere close to 150 mill.

Last edited:

EDMIX

GoW is totally going to be cross-gen, isn't it?

I don't know why they confirmed a 2021 release year for it either. They showed a teaser, with a logo, and a release year. Come on. It's not making it to next year, and we all know that......unless it's a smaller Miles Morales-ish title, perhaps?

I think its speedy turnaround might point to its development starting on PS4 (on top of having a already completed engine). Insomniac might be different as they are working on Ratchet, so the Spiderman side game makes sense, Sony Santa Monica only does God Of War (as the meat of the team anyway) so its very likely God Of War is very much a full God Of War.

Could be cross gen and 2021 release
PS5 only and Sony out here jumping the guns for those early sales and its really 2022

ReBurn

Gold Member
So what is the point with your example then? It doesn’t work like that.
The idea is that if games were less expensive then they would sell more copies, making up or exceeding the difference in revenue. Especially with digital distribution. The trick to earning more with a price increase is getting everyone on the sales curve to pay more, not just the people who buy at launch.

Considering new games will cost $70, for every 100 copies of a game Sony sells they earn $7,000 in revenue. If they sell the game for less than $70 then the idea is that more copies would sell during the same timeframe because more people could or would buy it. In their example they presuppose that at $50 for new games Sony would sell twice as many copies at release, so if the game sells 200 copies at $50 Sony would earn $10,000 during the same period, a 30% increase in revenue

Conceptually it works better for digital goods than physical goods because producing copies of digital goods these days is a small fraction of the cost of producing physical goods. Sony's network infrastructure is operating at a scale where it probably costs cents to create a license and serve a copy of a game where it's dollars for physical, which have to be printed, packed and shipped.

I don't think that Sony would sell twice as many copies of games at $50, but they would probably sell more copies than at $70. They would need to do 40% more in sales at $50 to earn the same amount of revenue at $50 that they would earn at $70. If they sold 50% more at $50 they would earn $7,500 in revenue for every 150 copies in the same period. The question is whether that's possible.

Another question here is whether going to $70 for new games will lead to a reduction in sales at full price. If fewer people buy at $70 than at $60 then at some point the price increase does not lead to an increase in overall revenue. AAA games at $70 will probably still sell enough because the demand for them is high. Demand won't be as high for every consumer because some will be turned off, but I bet Sony still makes more money at release than at $60.

It gets convoluted because at $50 AAA games would sell more earlier because people who wait for sales would buy earlier. Some people who buy at $40 may pay $50 to play sooner. But the long tail of the sales curve at a lower price would probably shorten. So again, the trick to earning more with a price increase is getting everyone down the curve to pay more, not just the people who buy at launch. How many people who wait for $40 will buy at $50? Or will more people now wait for a price reduction? I would say we have to wait and see. But since we don't get that info any more we'll just have to take their word for it.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
Ryan seems lIke more of the white wine with grapes and cheese kind of guy in his appearances.

a refined palate and exquisite taste. Sounds good ;
Of course they’d rather have revenue of 500 mill over 350 mill and sell the game for 50. There is no way that distribution costs are anywhere close to 150 mill.

same reason why those bethesda games will probably release on PS systems. Business. More reach is the goal.

CAB_Life

what's the problem with GoW being crossgen? Other people are not allowed to have fun? (This is coming from someone that has both the ps4 and ps5).

The whole mentality of fanboying, console-warrioring and H2H faceoffs is indeed that no fun is allowed outside of one’s specific choice of platform.

Top Bottom