• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan talks pricing, cloud and exclusivity

McCarth

Why do so many care if something is cross-gen? If the game still looks and plays great on the new system, with features not possible otherwise, who cares?

I really think this all started with Halo, and Infinite is not a case of the cross-gen strategy holding it back but rather just poor and problematic development IMO.

Cross-gen is good for everyone.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why do so many care if something is cross-gen? If the game still looks and plays great on the new system, with features not possible otherwise, who cares?

I really think this all started with Halo, and Infinite is not a case of the cross-gen strategy holding it back but rather just poor and problematic development IMO.

One side made a massive deal of their team saying “we believe in generations” and that they believe new hardware needs new exclusive games built specifically for it, while the others said their games for up to 2 years will be cross platform.

Then the first team dropped the bomb that all their games are cross gen for up to 3 years, and it’s left team blue scrambling to backtrack on their previous statements like “miles morales is built from the ground up for next gen and not possible on the current gen”.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's completely possible it acts as a bridge between the previous game and the eventual full sequel.

Remember, the title said 'Ragnarok is Coming'. Sony never confirmed the game was subtitled Ragnarok. That's what the media went with. Maybe the next game IS Ragnarok, and this is set in those 3 years that we see in the epilogue in the last game.
Ragnarok is a series of events in Norse mythology, so I think people just took that "Ragnarok is coming" likely incorrectly as "god of war ragnarok is coming" when it's alluding to the events that Ragnarok refer to.

sublimit

Banned
Are all of you guys who are discussing about this interview subscribers to telegraph.uk ?? The link doesn't let me read the interview without subscribing (yeah it's free for one month but i hate to be forced to do that)

Is there another link where i can read the interview?

Q: It is! Sony have been criticised for not launching the PS5 with an accompanying first party exclusive system seller, though. Is that a valid complaint?

what kind of stupid question is that with demons souls being a launch game?
Yeah, stupid question. Demon's Souls is their highest rated launch exclusive ever and one of the highest rated games on Metacritics. They also released a next gen version of Spider-Man.

ABnormal

Jim Ryan has a nice interview with Telegraph. He's straight forward, when possible.

A few snippets here:

Much more at the link:

He also talks about the 70£ price, the rumours that Playstation were considering even higher prices and more. Also a small tidbit about the size of the console, as well as the size of the SSD.

Just the three snippets are enough to understand that Jim Ryan is the primary cause of the various errors Playstation management is doing for some years. The previous management was really able to understand what gamers want and what is really important to appeal them.

This guy is just incapable, and even worse, those answers show that he lacks the humility to acknowledge the better job done by his previous colleagues. He is really a danger for Playstation.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Are all of you guys who are discussing about this interview subscribers to telegraph.uk ?? The link doesn't let me read the interview without subscribing (yeah it's free for one month but i hate to be forced to do that)

Is there another link where i can read the interview?
The great thing about fighting on the internet is that you don't have to read the source information to fight about it.

Yoboman

PS4 HDD severely limited the scope of some of the things they wanted to do, eg fast travel portals from any spot and in fact the fast travel in general. It also made the one cut camera exceedingly harder

I'd want it PS5 exclusive just so they can spend less time fucking around on a one shot camera and adding more enemies and gameplay elements

3liteDragon

As much as I think there’s a decent chance of this ending up on both PS4 and PS5, he can’t really talk about a game they only showed off a logo for. It still doesn’t have an official title, the reveal teaser isn’t even on PlayStation’s social media handles or YouTube channel, it’s only on Santa Monica Studio’s Twitter page. So I still think this could be a PS5 exclusive and he can’t talk more in-depth about it at the moment because it’s not “formally” revealed yet.

So I’m gonna say 50-50 on whether this game ends up being cross-gen, I would like to give Jim the benefit of the doubt here. But then again, considering what this dude pulled off in September after critizing Xbox’s strategy, sorta leaning towards the game being cross-gen. If it really is exclusive to PS5 in the end, I’ll be happy.

Umbral

Regarding God of War: Ragnarok, I think it’ll be ok to have it on PS4 as well. You can play God of War 2018 unlocked and it hits 60 at times, there clearly was some headroom there and I’m sure they’ve gotten even better with their engine. If it happens, my guess is 1080p/1440p/4K on the 3 systems, with there being a 60fps mode on PS5.

I would prefer it being PS5 only, so it could be optimized, but what can you do? I’m glad I have a bunch of PS4 games running at 60 on my PS5 so it’s hard to complain.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Q: It is! Sony have been criticised for not launching the PS5 with an accompanying first party exclusive system seller, though. Is that a valid complaint?

That's the Telegraph for you. Hack cunts. PS5 launch lineup is phenomenal.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
This may aswell have been an interview with a brick wall the way he didn't actually answer any of the questions.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That's the Telegraph for you. Hack cunts. PS5 launch lineup is phenomenal.
So phenomenal you can play all of it elsewhere!

Come on mate, it's not phenomenal in any sense of the word. When you don't even need a PS5 to play any of the games, it's a bad launch lineup.

Unknown?

Come on mate, it's not phenomenal in any sense of the word. When you don't even need a PS5 to play any of the games, it's a bad launch lineup.
Oh hush, like anyone cared that the Switch's best launch title was cross gen. PS5's best launch title you do need it however.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned

Compare it to PS4 launch. Compare it to PS3 launch. Compare it to XSX launch. Compare it to X1 launch. Miles better than all of them.

Shmunter

I’m a complete supporter of generational leaps & and design being built and therefore held back around lowest common denominator.

Ryan’s rhetoric is a slap to my chiseled face

MrFunSocks

Banned
Compare it to PS4 launch. Compare it to PS3 launch. Compare it to XSX launch. Compare it to X1 launch. Miles better than all of them.
Again - all the games are available elsewhere. If you don't need the console to play the games, the launch games list is lackluster.

MrS

Banned
Again - all the games are available elsewhere. If you don't need the console to play the games, the launch games list is lackluster.
Where else are you playing this version of Demon's Souls? Keep that same energy when you talk about Xbox's dreadful launch line up too please.

Last edited:

Banned
Jim Ryan has a nice interview with Telegraph. He's straight forward, when possible.

A few snippets here:

Much more at the link:

He also talks about the 70£ price, the rumours that Playstation were considering even higher prices and more. Also a small tidbit about the size of the console, as well as the size of the SSD.

yeah that copout with that GoW question means that it is at least currently still in development for PS4

MrFunSocks

Banned
Where else are you playing this version of Demon's Souls? Keep that same energy when you talk about Xbox's dreadful launch line up too please.
This Demons Souls and the Demons Souls that released 11 years ago on the PS3 are the same game, just with different graphics. BTW I can already play Demon's Souls on my PC at native 1080p and higher.

You won't find me saying the Xbox Series' launch line up is "phenomenal" or anything other than lacklustre, that's the difference. I've never once said it was a good lineup. I've said it was lacklustre many times. I didn't buy a single game.

Just because someone is saying something Playstation related isn't amazing it doesn't automatically mean that they're saying the xbox's is amazing. Take off the fanboy googles.

Last edited:
It's mad that people are going on and on about multiplatforms so much

Last gen games as far as Evil Within, watch dogs and metal gear solid V were all multiplats

No one was expecting third party games to go next gen only.

At the start of the gen it's usually the first party games that are used to demonstrate what the new console can do. Which is why people are disappointed.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Where are you playing Demon’s Souls 2020 and Astrobot?

Demons Souls 2020 is Demons Souls 2009 with better graphics. I can play Demon's Souls 2009 with RPCS3 with better graphics and framerate. I don't, because I don't like the game or genre, but I do have it and have played it to see how it runs.

Astrobot is a tech demo. I'll give you that one, can't play it anywhere.

Where are people getting the "God of War Ragnarok is cross gen" from?
The fact that they flat out asked Ryan if it's a PS5 exclusive game and he said he has "got nothing to say about that". If it was a PS5 exclusive then it's a simple "yes".

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cross gen
Spidey MM
Horizon FW
Sackboy Adventures
Bugsnax

Currently not stated as cross gen
GT7
Ragnarok
R&C
Demon's Souls
Godfall
Destruction All Stars

MrFunSocks

Banned
Cross gen
Spidey MM
Horizon FW
Sackboy Adventures
Bugsnax

Currently not stated as cross gen
GT7
Ragnarok
R&C
Demon's Souls
Godfall
Destruction All Stars
Currently not stated as next gen exclusive:
GT7
Ragnarok

Currently on "last gen PC":
Godfall

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Destruction All Stars and R&C end up on PS4 alongside God of War 2 and GT7. Demon's Souls will end up on PC as well.

Banned
Where are people getting the "God of War Ragnarok is cross gen" from?

yeah it's totally not suspicious for him to deny any comment on the question...

what would you think if I asked someone "did you ever kill a child?" and that person answered "I can't speak about this at this moment!"

The Alien

Banned

Demons Souls isn't 1st party.

Demons Souls 2020 is Demons Souls 2009 with better graphics. I can play Demon's Souls 2009 with RPCS3 with better graphics and framerate. I don't, because I don't like the game or genre, but I do have it and have played it to see how it runs.

Astrobot is a tech demo. I'll give you that one, can't play it anywhere.

The fact that they flat out asked Ryan if it's a PS5 exclusive game and he said he has "got nothing to say about that". If it was a PS5 exclusive then it's a simple "yes".
I like how you omitted better framerate for the PS5 Demon’s Souls. To me, you cannot play Demon’s Souls 2020 anywhere else so that means it’s exclusive.

As for Astrobot - by all accounts it is a great game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, at least give Jim Ryan credit. He's just giving all you gamers the obvious hint it's coming to PS4.

Now if he really wanted to plug PS5, he would outright say Ragnarok is a definite PS5 exclusive if that's the case.

Last edited:
yeah it's totally not suspicious for him to deny any comment on the question...

what would you think if I asked someone "did you ever kill a child?" and that person answered "I can't speak about this at this moment!"
This is a nonsense comparison. There’s a different between PR and you asking a random person if they’ve committed a crime. But you knew that already, surely.

JellyDonut

Neo Member
GT7
Ragnarok

Godfall

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Destruction All Stars and R&C end up on PS4 alongside God of War 2 and GT7. Demon's Souls will end up on PC as well.

Who knows given the backtracking on a few of the games so far but Insomniac did reiterate a couple weeks ago that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is PS5 exclusive

Banned
This is a nonsense comparison. There’s a different between PR and you asking a random person if they’ve committed a crime. But you knew that already, surely.

then tell my why he might not answer this if it is PS5 exclusive?

that's weird don't you think? I can't remember ever seeing a similar response from a first party before.

Andodalf

Banned
then tell my why he might not answer this if it is PS5 exclusive?

that's weird don't you think? I can't remember ever seeing a similar response from a first party before.

Maybe it's being made on and PS4 and PS5 but they might decide to cancel the PS4 version and so are waiting on announcing it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I like how you omitted better framerate for the PS5 Demon’s Souls. To me, you cannot play Demon’s Souls 2020 anywhere else so that means it’s exclusive.

As for Astrobot - by all accounts it is a great game.
By better framerate I mean you can probably play it at 120fps on RPCS3 if you want to, if you have hardware that can support it. Or you can play it with VRR. It's a different situation to PS5, which is either 4K30 or 1080p(or 1440?)60 but not locked 60 and with no VRR.

Demons Souls 2020 = Demons Souls 2009 with fancier graphics. It's the same game. Saying you can't play it anywhere else is like saying because Sonic the Hedgehog 2 plays in 1080p on consoles it's not the same game as the original on the mega drive. It is, it's just got a graphical update. Same game.

I'm sure astrobot is great, but it's a tech demo. I'll give it to you then, 1 single game that can't be played anywhere else. Happy?

Maybe it's being made on and PS4 and PS5 but they might decide to cancel the PS4 version and so are waiting on announcing it.
Zero chance they would cancel a PS4 version. It makes no business sense to do so. Like it or not, restricting a game to a console that will maybe have sold 15 million consoles is a bad idea if you like money. Sony like money, because they're a business. They'd be stupid not to release it on the PS4 since it has clearly been in development on PS4.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

cant play astro bot or demon souls anywhere but you already knew that.

Unknown?

GT7
Ragnarok

Godfall

You're just talking out of your ass.

longdi

Banned
Jim ryan is really old arrogant Sony is back.
Not too convinced that games should be more expensive and exclusive.
He should strive to increase the out reach of sales. So instead of 70 sold to 5m, it will be beneficial to target selling to 10m at 50

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You're just talking out of your ass.
Great rebuttal. Care to elaborate?

Jim ryan is really old arrogant Sony is back.
Not too convinced that games should be more expensive and exclusive.
He should strive to increase the out reach of sales. So instead of 70 sold to 5m, it will be beneficial to target selling to 10m at 50
Number of sales doesn't really matter if it makes less money. They'd rather sell 5mil at $70 and make $20 profit per copy than sell 10mil at $50 and make $0 profit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom