• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan talks pricing, cloud and exclusivity

NEbeast

We are talking about SMS, GOW will be gorgeous even if its cross gen. Cut scenes on ps4 could be playable on PS5, they aren't some cut corners dev studio, it will be fine.

[Sigma]

Because people bought into the idea of the PS5 based on certain claims that were made like "we believe in generations".

Either be honest or shut the fuck up.
And for what it's worth I would 100% rather they make a game built around the PS5 and forget about the PS4. Personally I don't care for people stuck on last gen. The game won't be going anywhere, they can play it when they can afford to get a PS5 whenever that is.
Yep, and releasing info like "oh and we have ps4 versions too" in a blog last minute after all those months of not saying anything about it didn't help. Pretty scummy(but smart in a way) cuz they let MS take the heat for all those lol.

DonJorginho

Banned
That’s as good of a confirmation of god of war being on os4 as well get until probably the day of release when they mention it in the fine print lol.

So they believe in cross generation for an undetermined amount of time that will be at least 12 months.

Lots for Team Blue to get their heads around there to form defences. Give them a minute.
No-one can defend the lying from Jim Ryan, fucking hilarious how much that man has flip-flopped since the start.

I get from a business standpoint making it crossgen, but releasing a major sequel after one of the greatest games of all time and making it have to run on fucking Jaguar cores? It is a joke.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah if it doesn’t hit for 2-3 years sure, but thought they said it was due out in 2021.

They said they will show the game in 2021 not that it's launching. They had a end tag at the trailer for just 2021. Which could mean anything from when to show more, or is a place holder date.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They said they will show the game in 2021 not that it's launching. They had a end tag at the trailer for just 2021. Which could mean anything from when to show more, or is a place holder date.

yeah I said that at the time and got chewed out by the Sony mob.

vkbest

People often pre order because of hype. A lot of that hype was built up because of the promise of no or minimal amounts of cross gen games from Sony's first party.

As far as I'm concerned that's unethical, especially considering he knew all along when he was happy to say "we believe in generations" while being critical of cross gen strategies.

You have had 2 full months to find out that Sony is supporting PS4 yet. You could cancel the preorder if you aren't happy with it. Dumb people and dumb excuses.

Besides people forget that Legend of Dragoon was released with PS2 in the market, God of War 2 was released with PS3 in the market, GT6 also released with PS4 in the market

Last edited:

Unknown?

I think this launch lineup has been very well received. You can write them down and you can put them beside what we launched with on PS3, what we launched with on PS2 and PS1, and it is the strongest lineup across first party and third party. And the year that follows will be the strongest second year or second holiday season that we've ever had."

Agreed!

He talks about the difficulties of making games during this pandemic , which is totally understandable yet they put the prices up of software when a lot of people are not exactly doing well from a financial point of view.

They know there will be people out there that will pay it like the early adopters and like most entertainment industries, the notion that they work and produce these things to get our money feels like it’s heading the other way around now particularly with social media , the executive worship makes me cringe.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Its not 100% confirmed that its really cross-gen but it would honestly be a mistake just like its a mistake with Horizon. We have already seen signs that Miles-Morales will most likely sell more on PS5 and making games in late 2021 also cross-gen will only hold the games back and not somehow make the sales much bigger.

Andodalf

Banned
You have had 2 full months to find out that Sony is supporting PS4 yet. You could cancel the preorder if you aren't happy with it. Dumb people and dumb excuses.

Besides people forget that Legend of Dragoon was released with PS2 in the market, God of War 2 was released with PS3 in the market, GT6 also released with PS4 in the market

Legend of Dragoon came out before the PS2 in Japan. GoW 2 was about 6 months after the PS3. GT6 Was about a month after the PS4.

None of that is close to the 1 year+ Support PS4 is getting here. Double it at least.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I like how he switched after he secured pre-orders. We are going to move into new generation faster than ever, yeah sure Jim....

Last edited:
I have a PS4 and not a PS5, and I would still prefer the new GoW to not be cross-gen.

I mean, if it's not cross gen more power to them, better graphics and maybe some fucking "wow this is next gen" moments.
But if it is crossgen? Do they expect me to play the gimped version of a PS5 title? At that point I would just buy a PS5.

Zatzuken

It's mad that people are going on and on about multiplatforms so much

Last gen games as far as Evil Within, watch dogs and metal gear solid V were all multiplats

Sony didn't help with their talk of next gen exclusives but they still have some.

Just another case of people on the internet loving something to moan about

GHG

Gold Member

I actually decided against getting a PS5 initially because of all the cross gen bullshit/uncertainty.

I decided to get a pre-order last week when the opportunity arose once it became clear that the game I want (Demon's Souls) is not cross-gen nor coming to the PC for a long time.

Beyond that I'd rather they simply focus on making games the best they can for the new hardware instead of needing to stick with design philosophies suited to the PS4.

You don't need to make excuses for them. They bullshitted everyone and the games will not be quite as spectacular as they could be as a result.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
To be fair, Sony knew what most fans would think by that "2021" at the end.
Sony's entire marketing strategy seems to be to release as little info as possible or to be really vague and non-committal on things.

They sold me on their product either way; but I find the whole strategy annoying.. I want to know more, not less.. write more tech blogs, make more statements on twitter,etc.etc. Microsoft is obnoxious with it but at least they TALK lol

supernova8

Banned
That’s as good of a confirmation of god of war being on os4 as well get until probably the day of release when they mention it in the fine print lol.

So they believe in cross generation for an undetermined amount of time that will be at least 12 months.

Lots for Team Blue to get their heads around there to form defences. Give them a minute.

Lol yeah hard to defend this one. As I said in a thread I made a while back, Jim did the old bait n switch. He kept banging on about how "we believe in generations" and then as soon as we got close to launch he suddenly changed his tune as if to say "oooooh no I never said that, cross-gen! cross-gen for everyone!"

In that sense I give kudos to Microsoft for being honest even if it wasn't what I personally wanted.

Man you guys are so damn obvious sometimes lol

Jim refusing to comment on exclusivity = "Yup it's coming to PS4!"

Xbox CFO talking about still supporting PS5 and Switch = "It's just PR! They'll never come to PS5!"

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

Its not confirmation of anything. There are PS5 only first party games. It does make business sense to preserve game sales of your biggest franchises, they do really big numbers.

It’s a bit of a letdown for people who want to see the PS5 pushed as early as it can, but at least we’re still talking about multiple big first party games while the competition is third party land. Not even the best place to play third party anymore, I mean, gonna be a struggle for the fanboys.
Yes I said this last part to hurt you, I’m a meanie

Last edited:
3856-l.jpg
I'm still disappointed when I see that cover.

THEAP99

Banned
GoW is totally going to be cross-gen, isn't it?

I don't know why they confirmed a 2021 release year for it either. They showed a teaser, with a logo, and a release year. Come on. It's not making it to next year, and we all know that......unless it's a smaller Miles Morales-ish title, perhaps?
Yep. This is fucked up and was what I was afraid of.

You can look at Cory's twitter he's been stressed out, this is probably why. Poor guy

jhjfss

Can you confirm whether [the previously announced] God of War Ragnarok will be a PS5 exclusive?
“Sorry. I've got nothing to say about that today.”

I think we all know what that means.

iHaunter

Sony has almost 120M PS4 consoles out in the World. It would be idiotic to make games no cross-gen for the first few years. That's such an enormous market that they'll lose and it screws over their enormous fanbase. Kinda screwed by their success, to be honest.

Orta

Banned
No-one can defend the lying from Jim Ryan, fucking hilarious how much that man has flip-flopped since the start.

I get from a business standpoint making it crossgen, but releasing a major sequel after one of the greatest games of all time and making it have to run on fucking Jaguar cores? It is a joke.

CEO in lying scumbag shocker!

Kdad

Here is my question for Jim: When the fuck are you going to lower the price of the PS4...you know next gen has started and you're selling a 7 year old system for the price of a Series S right?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry, can't get into the article as it's a sign up, but saw these from other sites and Google search.

Demon’s Souls has an RRP of £70 on PS5 - significantly more than gamers had been accustomed to paying for PS4 games. Do you consider that a fair price for a video game?

“Yes, yes, I do. If you measure the hours of entertainment provided by a video game, such as Demon’s Souls compared to any other form of entertainment, I think that's a very straightforward comparison to draw.”
Can you confirm whether [the previously announced] God of War Ragnorak will be a PS5 exclusive?
“Sorry. I've got nothing to say about that today.”

SNES games were regularly £70 here in the U.K. which would probably equal £100plus now.

Quit bitchin, gaming is cheaper now than it’s ever been.

Given the sales split for PS5 vs PS4 we're already seeing from the UK, and October hardware sales showing PS4 having fallen off a cliff in the US, they'd have to be utter retards to make Ragnarok cross gen so long after the PS5 will have been out.

That comment about entertainment hours is hilarious considering it's a remaster. I guess the entertainment it gave was less valuable back on the PS3 the, right Jim? Greedy cunt.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Jimbo fucking ryan ladies and gentleman.

Can't wait for the "it's okay" brigade 🕺

What a fucking cunt this guy is...

wolffy71

Banned
You guys try acting like these CEOs are meant to be some pillar of moral high ground. They aren't. They are meant to lead a profit making venture.

Saying hes scum for cross gen games is dumb. Business plans change, new ideas are formed.

Unless you completely naive, you should understand this and expect these companies to occasionally change their minds.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Asked whether the game will be released for PS4 too, Ryan told The Telegraph: “Sorry. I’ve got nothing to say about that today.”

The Telegraph suggested some fans have expressed disappointment with Sony’s strategy of developing PS5 games that also being built for the less powerful PS4, and asked Ryan how long Sony might continue making cross-gen titles.

“The first thing to say is that our PS5 experiences or versions of these games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set. So I think offering a PS5 version of these games for the PS5 community and then a PS4 version of these games to the PS4 community, I don’t see what’s wrong with that,” Ryan said.

“We’ve got a community of PS4 gamers 100 million-strong. It would be wrong to walk away from those people too early. And they’ve been engaged with their PS4s this year under lockdown to a greater extent than at any point over the course of the cycle. They’re using their PlayStations. They’re happy with their PlayStations. Why would we stop giving them games?”

Iced Arcade

I lean green and this sounds foolish "Sony have been criticised for not launching the PS5 with an accompanying first party exclusive system sell"

Demon souls is a big deal and honestly these systems are going to sell out on their own continually for the first year anyway (unless you are Finland of course)

MrFunSocks

Banned
Its not confirmation of anything. There are PS5 only first party games. It does make business sense to preserve game sales of your biggest franchises, they do really big numbers.

It’s a bit of a letdown for people who want to see the PS5 pushed as early as it can, but at least we’re still talking about multiple big first party games while the competition is third party land. Not even the best place to play third party anymore, I mean, gonna be a struggle for the fanboys.
Yes I said this last part to hurt you, I’m a meanie
So if God of war 2 was going to be ps5 only why wouldn’t he say so? Pretty simple and straight forward question and he danced around it.

It’s coming to PS4. The ps5 version will be in higher resolution with ray tracing, like Spider-Man.

OrtizTwelve

GoW is totally going to be cross-gen, isn't it?

I don't know why they confirmed a 2021 release year for it either. They showed a teaser, with a logo, and a release year. Come on. It's not making it to next year, and we all know that......unless it's a smaller Miles Morales-ish title, perhaps?

It will be cross gen. There are over 100 million PS4 customers worldwide Sony wants to sell a game to. They're not going to ignore that.

Top Bottom