• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan talks pricing, cloud and exclusivity

TBiddy

Jim Ryan has a nice interview with Telegraph. He's straight forward, when possible.

A few snippets here:

Q: It is! Sony have been criticised for not launching the PS5 with an accompanying first party exclusive system seller, though. Is that a valid complaint?
A: So no, I don't accept the criticism and I don't think it's fair. And particularly in this very difficult COVID environment that obviously makes game development more challenging than would normally be the case, I think we've performed well and delivered a good and strong lineup.

Q: How long do you consider that trend [games releasing on both PS4 and PS5] lasting?
A: They're using their PlayStations. They're happy with their PlayStations. Why would we stop giving them games?

Q: Can you confirm whether [the previously announced] God of War Ragnorak will be a PS5 exclusive?
A: Sorry. I've got nothing to say about that today.

Much more at the link:

He also talks about the 70£ price, the rumours that Playstation were considering even higher prices and more. Also a small tidbit about the size of the console, as well as the size of the SSD.

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
GoW is totally going to be cross-gen, isn't it?

I don't know why they confirmed a 2021 release year for it either. They showed a teaser, with a logo, and a release year. Come on. It's not making it to next year, and we all know that......unless it's a smaller Miles Morales-ish title, perhaps?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If GoW is on the PS4 I'm going to be like.....
ImpishTerrificBarbet-max-1mb.gif

😡

Last edited:

TBiddy

Q: It is! Sony have been criticised for not launching the PS5 with an accompanying first party exclusive system seller, though. Is that a valid complaint?

what kind of stupid question is that with demons souls being a launch game?

I guess someone feels entitled to even more, but compared to the competition, the PS5 is far, far ahead in terms of launch lineup.

FWIW, I definitely think GoW is cross-gen as well. Saying no to many million sales on the PS4 is tough.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

I don't know why they confirmed a 2021 release year for it either. They showed a teaser, with a logo, and a release year. Come on. It's not making it to next year, and we all know that......unless it's a smaller Miles Morales-ish title, perhaps?
Naaa, it's a full game... GOW games have never done half steps.

Whether it's cross-gen, I have no idea...could go either way cause people could see it being exclusive to PS5 as a negative or it being cross gen as a negative..... so he has reasons to keep it to himself for now either way.

Blood Borne

It has to be cross gen. A 2021 game means it’s been in development for some time. Just like Horizon Forbidden West, which is also a cross gen game.

Bryank75

Banned

what kind of stupid question is that with demons souls being a launch game?
People ignore games when they don't personally like them..... they forget that there is a massive audience outside themselves....

It's pretty disgusting the way some people have tried to push this narrative that PS5 launch is lacking in games, it's demonstrably false in every sense.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It has to be cross gen. A 2021 game means it’s been in development for some time. Just like Horizon Forbidden West, which is also a cross gen game.

Ratchet & Clank is coming out even sooner and that won't be cross-gen. Expected release time is meaningless.

There's also absolutely no way Ragnarok hits 2021.

sandkiller

Jim Ryan has a nice interview with Telegraph. He's straight forward, when possible.

A few snippets here:

Much more at the link:

He also talks about the 70£ price, the rumours that Playstation were considering even higher prices and more. Also a small tidbit about the size of the console, as well as the size of the SSD.

Narrator: "It wasn't possible."

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What a shit interview. No real attempt to get any kind of real insight, it was just a lot of confrontational questions trying to get a tasty headline out of him.

Asking tough questions should be encouraged, but this came across as someone who spends too much time in places like this and then somehow ended up in an elevator with Jim Ryan so blurted out all his questions as quickly as he could. Jim answered politely, then made an excuse to get out of said elevator 20 floors early 😆

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It would make sense to be cross gen because there is a huge install base already. It is a business. The only way it makes sense to me to not be cross gen is to drive system sales of the PS5.

Last edited:

TBiddy

what's the problem with GoW being crossgen? Other people are not allowed to have fun? (This is coming from someone that has both the ps4 and ps5).

Some people feel like it could limit the gameplay options, if the game needs to be able to run from an old HDD and a Jaguar CPU.

GHG

Gold Member
what's the problem with GoW being crossgen? Other people are not allowed to have fun? (This is coming from someone that has both the ps4 and ps5).

Because people bought into the idea of the PS5 based on certain claims that were made like "we believe in generations".

Either be honest or shut the fuck up. And for what it's worth I would 100% rather they make a game built around the PS5 and forget about the PS4. Personally I don't care for people stuck on last gen. The game won't be going anywhere, they can play it when they can afford to get a PS5 whenever that is.

vkbest

Because people bought into the idea of the PS5 based on certain claims that were made like "we believe in generations".

If people bought because that, then people are dumb. 1 day before of preorders of PS5, Sony confirmed already the cross gen games.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I wonder how PS4 editions are going to sell. It didn't turn out well for PS3 versions despite the userbase. Its 2021 or 22 by then. I think it won't make much of a dent, to be honest.

Guess if they release the sales for Spider Man MM game we will get an idea.

nowhat

If GoW is on the PS4 I'm going to be like.....
ImpishTerrificBarbet-max-1mb.gif

😡
I'm gonna be like

(edit: so apparently that site disables external linking quite quickly - can't be arsed to find a new version of the same image, it's the one with Baldur falling and flippind the bird to the camera)

(seriously though, I'm gonna be pretty indifferent, I'm certain the game will play better on PS5 regardless)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Guess if they release the sales for Spider Man MM game we will get an idea.

That will be interesting yes, but the PS5 is hard to find right now, I figure a lot might settle with PS4 versions now. But in about 2, 3 years I think the PS4 is a relic. Perhaps picked up for 100 bucks to play Fortnite or something like it. PS3 and 360 fell off a cliff big time, I think PS4 won't drop as hard but it will no doubt drop despite getting these games.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Naaa, it's a full game... GOW games have never done half steps.

It's completely possible it acts as a bridge between the previous game and the eventual full sequel.

Remember, the title said 'Ragnarok is Coming'. Sony never confirmed the game was subtitled Ragnarok. That's what the media went with. Maybe the next game IS Ragnarok, and this is set in those 3 years that we see in the epilogue in the last game.

GHG

Gold Member
If people bought because that, then people are dumb. 1 day before of preorders of PS5, Sony confirmed already the cross gen games.

People often pre order because of hype. A lot of that hype was built up because of the promise of no or minimal amounts of cross gen games from Sony's first party.

As far as I'm concerned that's unethical, especially considering he knew all along when he was happy to say "we believe in generations" while being critical of cross gen strategies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Don't worry guys, much like Microsoft, their cross-gen games are "built from the ground up" for PS5:

The first thing to say is that our PS5 experiences or versions of these games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set.

DonJorginho

Banned
Don't think GoW being cross gen is too bad, it'll be very well optimized for PS5, just means more people get to play
I really wanted to see what the PS5 could do with a GOW title built from the ground up and solely for a PS5, PS4 support means we are gonna see tight gap in wall kinda bs again.

SkylineRKR

I wouldn't worry about that. Spiderman seems to look excellent on PS5 and it has like zero load times. The PS4 versions will just be watered down, lower resolution, framerate, no RT, loading etc. Those PS5 versions will be unaffected.

cormack12

Gold Member
Makes sense. Something like Souls isn't a huge franchise so they won't leave that much on the table by making it PS5 exclusive. They might get even more sales as a PS5 showcase. Something like God of War is a tentpole. That will definitely be on both consoles if it does release in 2021.

DonJorginho

Banned
I am hyped for the PS5, I love the launch line-up, I cannot wait to play on it on Thursday.

But Jim Ryan is still a lying cunt, even if it makes sense making games cross gen, he shouldn't be a coward as he doesn't want to scare off pre-orders, they would've still sold the same amount as mainstream audiences don't care they just want the shiny new thing.

Should have been honest from the off.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
That will be interesting yes, but the PS5 is hard to find right now, I figure a lot might settle with PS4 versions now. But in about 2, 3 years I think the PS4 is a relic. Perhaps picked up for 100 bucks to play Fortnite or something like it. PS3 and 360 fell off a cliff big time, I think PS4 won't drop as hard but it will no doubt drop despite getting these games.

Yeah if it doesn’t hit for 2-3 years sure, but thought they said it was due out in 2021.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That’s as good of a confirmation of god of war being on os4 as well get until probably the day of release when they mention it in the fine print lol.

So they believe in cross generation for an undetermined amount of time that will be at least 12 months.

Lots for Team Blue to get their heads around there to form defences. Give them a minute.

Top Bottom