• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: Series S - style consoles ‘have not had great results’

PlayStation considered a lower-spec PS5 console similar to Xbox’s Series S, but feared it would quickly become obsolete, CEO Jim Ryan has said.

Speaking to Japanese site AV Watch (translated by VGC), the exec said that based on Sony’s research, “low priced, reduced spec” consoles had “not had great results in the past.”

“The first thing I would like to say is that I respect every competitor’s decision and their philosophies,” Ryan said.

“Clearly, price is a very important factor. We respect other companies’ competitive strategies. However, we are fully committed to and believe in our current strategy and the effect it will have.

“One thing that can be said is that if you look at the history of the game business, creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past. We’ve considered that option and seen other executives who have attempted this discover how problematic it is.”

He added: “Based on our research, it’s clear that people who buy a game console want to continue using it for four, five, six or even seven years. They want to believe they have bought something that is future-proofed and not going to be outdated in two-to-three years.

“They want to have faith that if they end up buying a new TV that their current console will be able to support that new 4K TV they are considering on buying.”

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
iu

GHG

Gold Member
In first world countries maybe not. Series S is going to do just fine everywhere else.

No disk drive my man. The infrastructure in a lot of the countries it could do well in is not set up to serve a disk less console, especially considering the size of games these days. As it stands it's squarely aimed at targeting casual customers in Western territories.

They desperately needed to get a disk drive in there if they wanted it to be more than that.

What S-style consoles is Jim babbling about? The closest thing to S-style Playstation ever released was the PS2, the least powerful system on the market at the time trailing the Fisher-Price Gamecube and Microsoft's gaming PC in a console shell. It ended up being the best selling console ever made.

No disk drive my man. The infrastructure in a lot of the countries it could do well in is not set up to serve a disk less console, especially considering the size of games these days. As it stands it's squarely aimed at targeting casual customers in Western territories.

They desperately needed to get a disk drive in there if they wanted it to be more than that.
You'd be surprised how amazing internet infrastructure is in for example eastern europe where people earn 400-500 EUR per month.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If he really thought there's no market for such a product, I think he would stayed quiet and leave it die silently...

Seems like, it's making too much noise already.

GHG

Gold Member
You'd be surprised how amazing internet infrastructure is in for example eastern europe where people earn 400-500 EUR per month.

Most of Africa and Asia aren't so fortunate.

Eastern Europe is still pretty developed as far as infrastructure goes, there are also a decent amount of gamers there, particularly on PC.

Most of Africa and Asia aren't so fortunate.

Eastern Europe is still pretty developed as far as infrastructure goes, there are also a decent amount of gamers there, particularly on PC.

Most of Africa or Asia won't buy a next gen console. Disc drice or not, makes little to no difference.

Let's wait and see. I'm confident Series S will do very well in certain markets.

ZywyPL

Banned
Jim Ryan said:
Creating a special low priced, reduced spec console is something that has not had great results in the past.

Someone please remind him PS4 sold over 100M units.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I think this statement will always be remembered. Everyone around me goes crazy about this machine. Cheapest entry to next gen. A parents dream came true :) After 1 year, you can buy a hdd/sdd for it and you're good to go. A Fifa and Nba machine at worst case senario.

Kumomeme

while i kind of agree with him, but i hope he didnt talk too much or it might backfire like phil spencer

also, its not that low specs not successfull, but what drive the success is not the specs but the GAME. This is differences with Wii and Switch. But both Sony and MS competing on different market with higher graphical bar compared to Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom