• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan said 'No' to Kojima's next game - XboxEra Podcast

GHG

Gold Member
Xbox was smart to get the second game and not Death Stranding. Hopefully Kojima has gotten that bullshit out of his system.

Sony own the death stranding IP I think so it would have to be something new.

Whatever it is I'm looking forward to it. Personally I've never been let down by any of his games.

Mister Wolf

Sony own the death stranding IP I think so it would have to be something new.

Whatever it is I'm looking forward to it. Personally I've never been let down by any of his games.

If they paid more to actually own the Death Stranding IP then they really got suckered. What the hell are they supposed to do with that.

driqe

If they paid more to actually own the Death Stranding IP then they really got suckered. What the hell are they supposed to do with that.
Dr Dre Reaction GIF

squarealex

well... if true... time to begining to worry for PlayStation brand...

At the time... still think lessing jimmy doing what PS & Sony want... but now... I begining to worry if creator like Kojima leave PlayStation Brand.

GHG

Gold Member

Fuck knows. Maybe someone with sense will allow him to make a sequel in the future and expand on the concepts of the first game.

AFAIK Sony have a rule whereby they will never fund and publish a game if they don't own the IP. It's to avoid situations like Sunset Overdrive which is now a Sony IP despite Microsoft funding and publishing the first game.

Stuart360

Love you Bryank, but to see an admitted hardcore Sony fanboy hate Jim so much that they would actually use an Xbox podcast as 'proof' to back up theur argument. Well man times are changing!. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also to the fanboys blaming Xbox fanboys oevr all this recent negativity, i cant speak for other forums and other gaming sites, but on here its by far Sony fanboys (some not all) that have meltdown over all this recent news.
I mean Christ i have even stuck up for Jim and Sony a few times on here lol.

Last edited:

Ghostwriter74

Neo Member
Make no sense. Hermen Hulst is Head of Playstation Studios

We know from the Bloomberg article that Hulst decides whether something is developed or not.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Again, Jim Ryan sold 115 million PS4s and he's on pace to sell 200 million PS5s. I'm betting management loves him at Sony.

In his sweet dreams.

Nevermind the fact that the current long term outlook for the PS5 isn't looking great and that the supply shortages will run in to 2022, this is likely the generation where we start to see the traditional console market start to shrink with the rise of subscription services and the rumoured upcoming Apple TV (which will likely blindside quite a few people if the rumoured specs are correct) .

The gaming industry will be increasingly fragmented come the end of the generation and market share will become less concentrated.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Love you Bryank, but to see an admitted hardcore Sony fanboy hate Jim so much that they would actually use an Xbox podcast as 'proof' to back up theur argument. Well man times are changing!. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also to the fanboys blaming Xbox fanboys oevr all this recent negativity, i cant speak for other forums and other gaming sites, but on here its by far Sony fanboys (some not all) that have meltdown over all this recent news.
I mean Christ i have even stuck up for Jim and Sony a few times on here lol.
Spot on. Even i defended jim ryan and i never liked him. The venom is majority owned by sony fans.

FStubbs

In his sweet dreams.

Nevermind the fact that the current long term outlook for the PS5 isn't looking great and that the supply shortages will run in to 2022, this is likely the generation where we start to see the traditional console market start to shrink with the rise of subscription services and the rumoured upcoming Apple TV (which will likely blindside quite a few people if the rumoured specs are correct) .

The gaming industry will be increasingly fragmented come the end of the generation and market share will become less concentrated.
How is the outlook not looking great?

Also, the iPhone failed to destroy consoles like people predicted years ago. I don't think Apple's second attempt at a console will either.

Stuart360

Again, Jim Ryan sold 115 million PS4s and he's on pace to sell 200 million PS5s. I'm betting management loves him at Sony.
200mil?, lol. It wont get close to PS2 numbers, nevermind 200mil.

110-120mil PS5.
60-70mil XSX/XSS, with an outside chance of 80mil if they keep the momentum going.

And quite frankly, i think both Sony and Microsoft would be happy with both outcomes, when you look at where each other are coming from last gen (XB1 and PS4).

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Precisely, pretty much all the vitriol you see on Jim Ryan is propagated by a sect and has been found to be untrue, like the MLB thing everybody was accusing him of, now he said no to Kojima singlehandedely and I guess Kojima is going to XBOX right?.....

Anybody who believes all this, even in the wake of lots of demand for PS5, where we have seen some exclusives instead of just BC games is plain Naive....Nobody is trying to bushel down an injustice here and nothing Jim has done is anything close to the utter failure that is Stadia, to compare Jim's profitability, the increase in game demand under his reign next to the ET landfill that is Stadia is extreme hyperbole and untruth culture at best...
Easily the most entertaining Gaffer. Well done, sir.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
confirms the rumors

*confirms* doesn't mean what you think it means.

PS:
I know you're trolling 😂

This is getting more and more hilarious. When people are rushing to believe someone from the self-elected "No.1 Xbox community" about something the CEO of PlayStation allegedly did, we've gone way too deep into the rabbit hole. We're talking about the same people who rushed to try and support a "rumor" about Microsoft acquiring Bungie back in October lol.

As I said in another thread, anyone who fancies themselves an "insider" nowadays is scrambling to parrot each other not to feel irrelevant and not to be left behind in this rush for social media attention. Should likely keep that in mind.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's this dumbass:
Screenshot20200809Re.png

hey hey we cant talk shit about gaf users!

Shpeshal Nick Shpeshal Nick is an esteemed gaf user. also part of that discord that was spreading fud about the ps5 specs and had users pretending to be insiders (Tommy Fischer).

Entroyp

Xbox gamers don’t want no walking simulator, right?

Joking aside, isn’t that one of Timdog’s virgin minions?

Last edited:

Smoke6

I'm sure if the PlayStation PR did their job, this stuff wouldn't get out of hand.

But there is no communication, fans are upset and wondering what is going on.... PS execs have their heads buried in the sand.
What company you know tell the world everything they’re doing or about to do whenever the community ask?

I’ll wait seeing we have all kinds of business owners and execs in here and forget that when said game gets announced and all of a sudden delayed or cancelled all hell breaks loose and we get comments like...

why they even bother to announce it!

they should have just released info when it was close to being ready instead of getting our hopes up

oh no Sony what are you doing always canceling game fuck Jim Ryan blah blah blah!!!

Liar

Banned
I want to write a parody of MGS post credits phone calls with Jim Ryan talking to CEOs of Microsoft, or Sony, but I have no idea how to do it exactly.

thelastword

Banned
Who the fuck is Shpeshel_Ed and why should we trust him?

Coming from "Xbox Era Podcast", nonetheless

Not a guy who would ride the Sony hate train with some bullshit to attract viewers, no sir

Stop posting any shit that you guys find on Youtube, please

It's not like we dont have enough drama to discuss already. We dont need to invent some more.
Don't you know him? He was on Gaf, he may still be.....He was a huge XBOX fan. I think he was on the famous discord too.....

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Don't you know he started the vietnam war. He didn't want to work with North Korea on a boardgame.

Jim Ryan is single-handedly responsible for greenlighting and financing out of pocket the return of Six Days in Fallujah, the notorious "war crimes simulator" according to well-informed parts of the gaming press and super-respectable activist organizations.

You read it here first.

😂

Last edited:

Keihart

Jim Ryan is single-handedly responsible for greenlighting and financing out of pocket the return of Six Days in Fallujah, the notorious "war crimes simulator" according to well-informed parts of the gaming press and super-respectable activist organizations.

You read it here first.

😂
No way, that game is too risky.
Although I can confirm that i've heard Jim's hobby is drowning kitties, the legend says he hates pussy.

Kuranghi

Well supposedly Kojima had his episodic horror game waved off by Google who really wasn't in a position to turn shit down. Death Stranding was pretty good but it was incredibly divisive and nowhere near the quality of work Kojima is known for and after all the hype Sony created for him. My guess is that if there is any truth to this, what he pitched just did not do it for Google or Sony. He's supposedly working on multiple projects but until we know what he has up his sleeve we really can't make any judgements on the people who might have turned him down. For all we know, what he pitched was total garbage. I love a lot of the games with his name attached to them but the man seems very pretentious and self-indulgent at times.

Thats interesting to know, thanks.

I think what happened maybe is he is saying he wants to make smaller more experimental games, where they can test lots of new ideas in a short time span. He's probably a bit annoyed he spent nearly 20 years evolving the same game (To be clear: I love the 4 main MGS's, love the gameplay of 5 and I think the work he did from MGS1 to 5 is amazing in terms of gameplay, interaction and choice of action), even more if you count the MG games when he could've been coming up with new ideas at the level of how MGS changed games within other genres that aren't MG-like, even though it did encompass a wide swath of genre elements. Not like racing obviously but similar but adjactent stuff.

I remember him saying: "I wish I had invented that game!" about Assassin's Creed, as an example, and other similarly worded praise for games he likes. It sounds like he's often amazed by the innovation of specific others in the industry, like ubisoft, maybe even a little jelly. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the way he shows himself in public and its a japanese thing to praise other's concepts that you like in this way.

So perhaps DS reception + he wants to start doing much smaller, less cinematic games with shorter lengths (and lower production values probably) and Sony is all about the long, possibly open world, cinematic games right now and gave him the cold cock:

Jim Ryan: "Sorry silly glasses man, you don't get carte blanche this time. We're all about the cinema-games now and your little weird-ass ideas are too weird, ass and little."

Which I think is probably for the best, you don't want a studio giving him less help or money than he needs to make his weird, ass-visions a reality. I have a feeling he could just go nuts when let off the leash creatively and with no pressure to make anything amazing, like a sort of hyper Death Stranding, could go either way I say, 50:50 chance: If its good its awesome, but if its bad, fans are going to bring him down to chinatown.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I’d rather a smaller MGS type game from him and less death stranding. I think an episodic type game would work perfect for him. Just make sure gameplay is not completely taken over by him wanting to make a TV show

e&e

Banned
It's why the internet doesn't equal reality. Reading online western forums you'd think MS is taking over. That's what their deep pockets can do. Ambush marketing left and right trying to gain relevance. Then you realise the console might as well not even exist in most of the world outside the states.
This doesn’t make any sense. Think about the fans that are freaking out about these news, and it’s definitely not Xbox fans...

Popup

Post Console Stress Disorder... Because sometimes, having a new thing isn't enough.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Let’s see what the game is before casting stones.

And if you want it, get an Xbox. I know I plan to grab one soon.
Death stranding came out on PC and I would expect the same of this title.

I'm sure if the PlayStation PR did their job, this stuff wouldn't get out of hand.

But there is no communication, fans are upset and wondering what is going on.... PS execs have their heads buried in the sand.
What is there to PR? It's mostly rumors and people speculating on rumors. The only "fans" upset are unreasonable people. I'm guessing a overwhelming majority of new console owners are pleased regardless of which system is set up under their tv.

longdi

Banned
I wonder if people are simply getting tired of Kojima's tradional weirdness, visionary crap...

Eh no. DS won multiple publications' Goty and gamers' Goty.

This is huge blow, not just losing koijima next game, burning Bridges(!DS reference :messenger_tears_of_joy: ) but also confirming jimbo is putting ps5 future in danger with his 'anti-gamer' vision.

Remember his is one who said BC is pointless and crossplay is dangerous for kids and believes in next cross gen..

Last edited:
Top Bottom