• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on the PS5 situation

Ten_Fold

Got mines directly from Sony, the method they use is probably the best to fight bots. If you haven’t gotten one yet, this week might be one of the last big drops for a while. Sucks that bots take all of the systems so people can see it for 900+ Which is wack, but they are actually selling because parents promise their kids a ps5 or Xbox for Christmas.

dave_d

Supplier doesn't care, they are getting paid, whether the bot is buying or the person.

Also where can I get one of those purchase bots?
In this case the supplier (IE Sony) absolutely does care if the unit ends up getting scalped. If an end user pays $1000 for a $500 that means the end user has $500 less to give to Sony for games where they actually make their profit. Retailers probably don't care as much since most of the scalped units won't get returned. However if a significant number of units that are scalped get returned because scalping market collapsed then they'd definitely care. (No idea when the scalping market will collapse though. My guess is sometime after Christmas.)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
In this case the supplier (IE Sony) absolutely does care if the unit ends up getting scalped. If an end user pays $1000 for a $500 that means the end user has $500 less to give to Sony for games where they actually make their profit. Retailers probably don't care as much since most of the scalped units won't get returned. However if a significant number of units that are scalped get returned because scalping market collapsed then they'd definitely care. (No idea when the scalping market will collapse though. My guess is sometime after Christmas.)

That Wii scalp market went on for like a year.

Business

“Everything is sold. Absolutely everything is sold,” Ryan said. “I’ve spent much of the last year trying to be sure that we can generate enough demand for the product. And now in terms of my executive bandwidth, I’m spending a lot more time on trying to increase supply to meet that demand.”

CihY6ZN.jpg

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe places like Walmart don't care but Sony does. Scalpers mean less money in software and accessories for them.

Doubtful, at least in the long run.

If you have the disposable income to purchase via a scalper, you very likely have the income to also get whatever you want along with the console.

Topher

Gold Member
You cannot tell Walmart how to run their retail, You are not as powerful as Walmart. You are happy Walmart carries your product.

Walmart cannot tell me I have to sell my consoles through Walmart. Walmart isn't the only vendor I can sell through. Why am I happy that one of my vendors are allowing bots to corner the console market again?

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

I mean in all fairness we can assume COVID had a role to play in this. Demand for home entertainment and gaming is up and up this year due to COVID as more people are being confined to their homes, so basically a lot more people are buying into gaming this year that typically wouldn't in a normal year.

Interfectum

Maybe places like Walmart don't care but Sony does. Scalpers mean less money in software and accessories for them.

Sony is not going to sweat a couple hundred thousand consoles being sold through scalpers. It's a waste of resources. Once supply ramps up in 2021 this whole thing is done.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Walmart cannot tell me I have to sell my consoles through Walmart. Walmart isn't the only vendor I can sell through. Why am I happy that one of my vendors are allowing bots to corner the console market again?
The last thing a corporation wants to do is piss off Walmart. Walmart affects how people develop and deliver packages. Walmart and amazon are the most powerful retailers in the industry and they control the market. You can choose not to use them, but your sales numbers will be less and you will not be as successful as you could have been if your product would have been in Walmart.

Topher

Gold Member
The last thing a corporation wants to do is piss off Walmart. Walmart affects how people develop and deliver packages. Walmart and amazon are the most powerful retailers in the industry and they control the market. You can choose not to use them, but your sales numbers will be less and you will not be as successful as you could have been if your product would have been in Walmart.

I get what you are saying. But these are different circumstances with online only purchases. There is no option to get to a store hours beforehand to make sure you get the console. Bots are winning that fight with ease right now. So yeah, Sony isn't going to be heavy handed with Walmart. I agree with you. But right now, there doesn't seem to be anything being done about the problem at all and consumer dissatisfaction and frustration is growing.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I get what you are saying. But these are different circumstances with online only purchases. There is no option to get to a store hours beforehand to make sure you get the console. Bots are winning that fight with ease right now. So yeah, Sony isn't going to be heavy handed with Walmart. I agree with you. But right now, there doesn't seem to be anything being done about the problem at all and consumer dissatisfaction and frustration is growing.

Thanks a long way to say "You are RIGHT!" I appreciate it. :messenger_beaming:

DonJimbo

MJ8dddJ.jpg

Thank me that the ps5 is so in high demand and then because of my idiotic managing of the company the consoles got bought by Bots from some fucking scalper retards who ruined the Christmas of millions of people's who were excited for the ps5 and I shit them on their feets

reinking

Gold Member
Reading this thread would lead me to believe XBSX and new GPUs are not on ebay at high prices. Seems they are.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
then why cant I find even a Series S in the US?

I'm not saying there's "NO" demand for it. There is. Just not the same as the PS5. And that's okay. Plus MS couldn't make more consoles now if they wanted to offer someone $1 billion to do so.

Topher

Gold Member
Thanks a long way to say "You are RIGHT!" I appreciate it. :messenger_beaming:

lol....well, yeah pretty much. Easy to say "Sony should do this", but after reading your post I pretty much realized....."yeah, no way Sony is going to do this".

So short version: "You are RIGHT!"

There have been far more opportunities to purchase PS5s than XSX. I was able to purchase an XSX from MS on release night, but it's not due to get shipped until late Dec.

I figured I had no chance of getting a PS5 and was able to get one from the Direct, which has been selling them here and there. Mine was delivered last saturday and have been enjoying it ever since.

Depends of the country.

Here at EU/Finland PS5 have been a nightmare to get, selling out in seconds/minutes

One store collects names for "get a chance to buy a ps5 lottery" and they have like 70k or more names now, which is over 1% of our population

Series x launch units took +2 weeks to sell out and I could literally walk into store tomorrow and buy series S as they are on the shelf in many cities.

PS5 orders go february 2021 on some stores already.

Same story on few other countries I have friends at

CthulhuPL

It's the digital 400 euros/$400 PS5 which is the real stealth killer console... if only people could change their habits & realize what a goddamn bargain it is (I'm literally amazed the disk version crushed it in terms of sales... i.e. what are people smoking? It's not like disks are the finished & final versions of the games anyway considering patches post release). PC gamers have forever been online only (especially via steam), and A/Sony's own ps store has constant sales & B/getting boxed versions is becoming increasingly more annoying than before due to many factors (Covid, postage costs etc.).

It's that digital ps5 which Microsoft should theoretically fear most because it seriously undercuts Xbox in every which way possible... if only people realized they didn't need a disk reader.
People don't want digital only console because the price of digital games is way too high and you can't do shit with it after the purchase. People want to have a choice also. I myself am using mostly digital games (thanks to gamepass) however when there is a game that you want to play but you know that it's price is too high then you buy the disc version, play it, and resell it. Simple as that. For example Call of Duty and it's 6-8 hours campaign (assuming I don't care for multi because there is warzone out there for free). If people had more money or the digital games were much cheaper than their disc version then this situation could be much different.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Don’t blame the demand, blame fucking scalpers using scripts and bots to cheat consumers out of their purchases.

If demand is the same and people didnt support them then wouldnt they end up returned and eventually on shelves?
I think demand is a bigger issue then scalpers - which have always existed - at this point in time.
Also i find people who buy a PS5 for $1200 more ridiculous then the person selling it.

supernova8

Banned
Wrong. Demand is to blame. Scalpers know that and that's why they win. They win solely because people, for the life of themselves, can't stop paying those ridiculous scalper prices. Their primitive animal instincts won't let them. Imagine people exhibiting enough self control and/or standing up to it collectively and thus stopping it (through a large boycott).

Imagine that.

Should run some sort of large scale campaign of flooding places like eBay etc with fake PS5 listings so that the real scalpers get drowned and never get the opportunity to actually sell their wares. If people made it bad enough, eBay might just decide to take down all PS5 listings (including the real ones) and then the scalpers would have one less avenue.

If the peasants (with apparently $1000+ of disposable income to waste on a console) cannot help themselves, maybe someone has to step in on their behalf.

ToadMan

Quite a few of both consoles on eBay.

I watched a PS5 sell last night for $950 based on bidding. About 2x price.

Xsex seems to bid up to about 1.5x price.

Personally I'd probably take a PS5 I could get now at 1.5x RRP - in my part of the World there's still no release date, never mind pre-orders. In fact I need to buy 2 so I'd hoped for a little discount.

Just be patient - xsex has nothing to play and PS5 has a couple of games only playable there right now - I'm only really interested in DeS so there's no FOMO. If R&C is good that will increase pressure a little. GT7 will be the next big pressure point.

Stock will get to the stores and gradually those scalper prices will drop too.

GenericUser

People don't want digital only console because the price of digital games is way too high and you can't do shit with it after the purchase. People want to have a choice also. I myself am using mostly digital games (thanks to gamepass) however when there is a game that you want to play but you know that it's price is too high then you buy the disc version, play it, and resell it. Simple as that. For example Call of Duty and it's 6-8 hours campaign (assuming I don't care for multi because there is warzone out there for free). If people had more money or the digital games were much cheaper than their disc version then this situation could be much different.

This! People are not dumb. I just bought the physical version of baldurs gate 1/2 enhanced on PS4 for 11 Euros (new, from amazon).

Price in the PSStore:

JhIWgsQ.png

If you have half of a brain left, physical is the way to go. It just saves SOOOO much money, especially on a console that you usually own and use for multiple years. The 100 bucks you save on a digital ps5 are being eaten alive by the absurd prices of the PS Store.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned

I have no idea what it's like in your country but here (in France), getting disk versions from amazon or a supermarket is not cost effective at all, especially factoring in the promotions on the ps store (which as I mentioned earlier) seriously undercut the disc versions (which have postage costs).

Ghost of Tsushima is currently cheaper on the store than in Amazon, for example, i.e. even when not by much it's still worth noting. And yeah, you can't resell a digital game but that was never a problem on pc was it? I personally haven't sold a game since the ps360 generation & I actually regretted it afterwards.

From my chair here the digital ps5 is a no-brainer choice (once it's available).

DonJorginho

Banned
How did a totally unrelated subject post about the PS5 stock fall into becoming a war between the Disk lovers and Digital supporters?

I love both forms of media and think it is fucking childish that Disc-Purists post with their nose held above everyone else due to them using discs and other users having to buy off the PS Store at higher prices.

NEWSFLASH. No-one cares about it! Those who go Digital know what the pros and cons are and willingly pay the price.

I bought a Digital PS5 as I don't resell my games, always buy titles at launch, love to replay titles and enjoy the sales on the store, it is also noteworthy that with ShopTo top up codes you can get games on launch for cheaper than the disc!

My take? Play however you want, don't make people feel like shit when you don't agree with it however!

Roufianos

Yep! Retailers need to develop a fairer system, maybe a lottery type of scenario which would probably be better than so many people buying them being scalper bots

Should be pretty simple really. Online retailers should give priority to customers who regularly buy off them. Sony had the right idea by offering exclusive pre-orders, shame they didn't implement it globally and their selection process seemed completely random.

bronk

Banned
lol @ people thinking anywhere near the "majority" of purchased units are going to scalpers or bots.

Do you guys realize the sheer number of consoles sold? It has insane demand... and most of that demand is coming from consumers, not scalpers.
Bullshit did you try to buy from Walmart at the set times? I'm fast and was at end of check out in less than 7 seconds and bam all gone. I dont know one person in my life or online that has proven they bought one from Walmart in last two or three scheduled stock refreshes. I already got my PS5 but have been trying to help my friends.

The Alien

Banned
Don’t blame the demand, blame fucking scalpers using scripts and bots to cheat consumers out of their purchases.
Yeah.

Part of me admires the entrepreneurial spirit. Then I see one asshole, using a bot, secures 45 PS5's, i get kinda pissed about it.

Part of me also thinks that to grab supply of something you don't care about....and didn't make ...then sell at a hugely inflated price isnkijd of parasitic.

Papacheeks

Banned
Glad people are enjoying their ps5's my preorder from walmart was cancelled. And because of scalpers I can't get one. Been trying every night. But at this point i just dont care now.

ranmafan

Yep! Retailers need to develop a fairer system, maybe a lottery type of scenario which would probably be better than so many people buying them being scalper bots

here in Japan it’s what most of the stores are doing. It’s not perfect, scalpers are still getting their hands on stock and the amount of systems available to be sold here is just way to small for demand, but at least it gives people a fairer chance at one. Still though winning won of those lotteries is so hard. I’ve lost everyone so far I’ve tried and I’ve tried a lot. And that’s most people’s experiences.

But yeah I really hope, I don’t expect it at all but hope, that the game companies and retailers take a good hard look at how this has gone down this time and in the past and figure out some system better than fighting bots, dealing with scalpers, or stores overselling stock giving customers uncertainty on when they will get their system.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY couldn't wait to say they're sold out, eventually they're going to run into PS5 functioning at all cylinders if anyone can actually get one. They're stock away from already wrapping up the generation.

Sony have given scalpers around the world a huge profit opportunity, and announcing this is only going to make it worse.

What could Sony have done differently when the semiconductor manufacturers they rely on for the production of the console APU only has a certain capacity to produce a certain number of units and is more than likely running maxed out for the next 12 months?

The scalper situation falls at the feet of the scalpers themselves and the distributors who don't give a fuck who they sell to; thus enabling the scalper's miscreancy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What could Sony have done differently when the semiconductor manufacturers they rely on for the production of the console APU only has a certain capacity to produce a certain number of units and is more than likely running maxed out for the next 12 months?

The scalper situation falls at the feet of the scalpers themselves and the distributors who don't give a fuck who they sell to; thus enabling the scalper's miscreancy.

just seems weird at a time when Apple is selling 50 million iPhones and a few million more laptops with custom SOCs, the market for PlayStation 5 is complete chaos as demand outstrips supply at what, 2-4 million consoles? I know Apple is a big swinging dick but I didn’t realize the disparity is Grand Canyon sized.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
What is dumber than paying a scalper $1200 for a PS5?

What?

Paying a scalper $1200 for a Series X instead of investing in a PC.

:messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_winking_tongue:

ZywyPL

Banned
I see that Gaf knows better how Covid situation is globally affecting factories than people directly involved in the business... Ran is spot on, this doesn't affect just the PS5, it happens with XB too, as well as Ampere and Big Navi cards, annd so on, everything, people blaming scalpels and bots forget that there's a real life out there besides the internet, and you can always just move you lazy ass to the store, grab a product from the shelf and buy it, except you can't, because there's not enough supply, simple as it it, if everyone could casually walk into a store and get back from it with a new console, GPU or whatever, the scalpels would never even bother.

Oh really? I thought the whole idea of scalping is to resell the consoles to end customers anyway?

While we can definitely scrutinize the ethics of the scalpers, these companies should be held to account by a larger measure for making it too easy for scalpers to buy off massive stocks in an instant.

Mega Man

Wrong. Demand is to blame. Scalpers know that and that's why they win. They win solely because people, for the life of themselves, can't stop paying those ridiculous scalper prices. Their primitive animal instincts won't let them. Imagine people exhibiting enough self control and/or standing up to it collectively and thus stopping it (through a large boycott).

Imagine that.
You mean, like people having enough self control and/or standing up to the virus collectively and thus stopping it?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Bullshit did you try to buy from Walmart at the set times? I'm fast and was at end of check out in less than 7 seconds and bam all gone. I dont know one person in my life or online that has proven they bought one from Walmart in last two or three scheduled stock refreshes. I already got my PS5 but have been trying to help my friends.

Yes I got one during the 3PM EST drop on launch day.

And.. nothing you are saying here is accurate. It took like 5 minutes, not 7 seconds... the site was completely crashing.

I almost got one during the 1st sale at noon EST, but after several minutes it eventually failed. The second sale I got one and it was like 3:05PM by the time my checkout completed.

Success; already have the unit.

Top Bottom