• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on the PS5 situation

Freeman76

"Sony’s PlayStation 5 supply issues don’t look like they’ll be letting up anytime soon.
Speaking to Russian news outlet TASS, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan said the next-generation console will continue to experience steep stock shortages for the foreseeable future.

“Everything is sold. Absolutely everything is sold,” Ryan said. “I’ve spent much of the last year trying to be sure that we can generate enough demand for the product. And now in terms of my executive bandwidth, I’m spending a lot more time on trying to increase supply to meet that demand.”

Ryan added that the COVID-19 pandemic had made things “challenging from the production side,” with Sony workers not being able to get into its factories in Asia during lockdowns.

“I wouldn’t plan on doing another big console launch in the midst of a global pandemic,” he said. “And I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody else.”

Sony have given scalpers around the world a huge profit opportunity, and announcing this is only going to make it worse.

Good luck getting a PS5 for a reasonable amount this side of Easter! A great chance for MS to gain some ground if they can get some consoles produced, they are probably having similar issues though.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
raw.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"Sony’s PlayStation 5 supply issues don’t look like they’ll be letting up anytime soon.
Speaking to Russian news outlet TASS, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan said the next-generation console will continue to experience steep stock shortages for the foreseeable future.

“Everything is sold. Absolutely everything is sold,” Ryan said. “I’ve spent much of the last year trying to be sure that we can generate enough demand for the product. And now in terms of my executive bandwidth, I’m spending a lot more time on trying to increase supply to meet that demand.”

Ryan added that the COVID-19 pandemic had made things “challenging from the production side,” with Sony workers not being able to get into its factories in Asia during lockdowns.

“I wouldn’t plan on doing another big console launch in the midst of a global pandemic,” he said. “And I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody else.”

Sony have given scalpers around the world a huge profit opportunity, and announcing this is only going to make it worse.

Good luck getting a PS5 for a reasonable amount this side of Easter! A great chance for MS to gain some ground if they can get some consoles produced, they are probably having similar issues though.

There's nothing MS can do to take advantage of this Supply issue Sony has. MS decided to sell their next-gen consoles on having the best BC in console history. And that's just going to be a great marketing sell at this moment.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
LOL....wake up to the world you live in. Preorders maybe, but most day one purchases were bots.
How about put a modicum of thought into the number of scalped consoles it would take to be the "majority."

Sony sold 1 million PS4s on launch day in the US alone, and all signs point to them increasing their production, not decreasing, over last gen.

Worldwide it's probable Sony has sold over 2 million units at this point.

You think that involved 1 million going to scalpers?

The number of scalped consoles is probably unprecedented.. it's a lot.. but it's unlikely to be above 10% of total units sold, let alone 50%.

Rat Rage

Don’t blame the demand, blame fucking scalpers using scripts and bots to cheat consumers out of their purchases.

Wrong. Demand is to blame. Scalpers know that and that's why they win. They win solely because people, for the life of themselves, can't stop paying those ridiculous scalper prices. Their primitive animal instincts won't let them. Imagine people exhibiting enough self control and/or standing up to it collectively and thus stopping it (through a large boycott).

Imagine that.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Go on eBay and you will see guys with almost pallets worth of consoles reselling at 1500+ plus. There’s a lot of them too.
I've been on ebay; seen the sellers with "30+ sold"...

Vast majority of the 11,000 listings are for single units. It's a LOT.. but nowhere near half of what Sony has sold.

Literally nobody claiming it's the majority has ever explained how the numbers work. Just "look it's a lot of units on ebay!" Not well thought out.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

There have been far more opportunities to purchase PS5s than XSX. I was able to purchase an XSX from MS on release night, but it's not due to get shipped until late Dec.

I figured I had no chance of getting a PS5 and was able to get one from the Direct, which has been selling them here and there. Mine was delivered last saturday and have been enjoying it ever since.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don’t blame the demand, blame fucking scalpers using scripts and bots to cheat consumers out of their purchases.
Don't blame the scalper, blame the store that gives 0 fucks about selling all the stock to a bot as long as they get their money.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

There have been far more opportunities to purchase PS5s than XSX. I was able to purchase an XSX from MS on release night, but it's not due to get shipped until late Dec.

I figured I had no chance of getting a PS5 and was able to get one from the Direct, which has been selling them here and there. Mine was delivered last saturday and have been enjoying it ever since.
I managed to get 2 PS5s, and haven't gotten an XSX despite trying.

Sony is restocking way faster than MS; launch day unit I bought that initially said "arrives December 1st" showed up 4 days later. That was from the 2nd batch of sales on Walmart on launch day (the 1st batch had an earlier shipping date, but honestly seems like Sony resupplied them even faster than Walmart thought.

Wrong. Demand is to blame. Scalpers know that and that's why they win. They win solely because people, for the life of themselves, can't stop paying those ridiculous scalper prices. Their primitive animal instincts won't let them. Imagine people exhibiting enough self control and/or standing up to it collectively and thus stopping it (through a large boycott).

Imagine that.

Gamers will buy fucking anything and pay ANY price, no matter how predatory it is. It's mesmerizing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I managed to get 2 PS5s, and haven't gotten an XSX despite trying.

Sony is restocking way faster than MS; launch day unit I bought that initially said "arrives December 1st" showed up 4 days later. That was from the 2nd batch of sales on Walmart on launch day (the 1st batch had an earlier shipping date, but honestly seems like Sony resupplied them even faster than Walmart thought.
Yeah, I see far far far more notifications for in stock PS5s on Wario64 than I do for XSX.

What have scalper to do with supply and demand? If anything, they reduce demand because the product is more expensive. But yet it's still all sold out.

Demand is way above supply. That's why the price is rising.

John2290

There'll be no problem getting these at the end of Jan, early Feb online and I suspect they'll be stocked in Brick and Morter stores in January without need of a preorder, Ps4 was the same. "You'll never get one anywhere before spring" the gamestop employees told me meanwhile i step into a Harvey Normans in late January '14 to find them and while purchasing mine the man tells me they were stocked the latter half of Demember for the most part and couldn't get rid of them during the January sales there was such stock with expected demand that didn't come.

Yep! I don't know why these retailers don't implement a "robot" check before purchase check out ie "click the tiles that have x in them" That would stop the bots at least.

GHG

If MS can produce units when Sony aren't, this will be an advantage for them

You can walk into stores in many countries in the world and buy a series X right now. Meanwhile you'll be luck if your PS5 gets delivered safely in multiple countries.

The mass appeal isn't there at the moment and it won't change until they sort out the software situation.

GHG

You can't honestly believe that scalpers are having a bigger impact on supply than just general demand for the ps5...right?

It's two fold.

The scalpers are only able to make a profit because the demand is so high.

If the demand wasn't high enough then they wouldn't be able to sell them on for above retail price. Eventually they will all end up in the hands of people who want them.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It's the digital 400 euros/$400 PS5 which is the real stealth killer console... if only people could change their habits & realize what a goddamn bargain it is (I'm literally amazed the disk version crushed it in terms of sales... i.e. what are people smoking? It's not like disks are the finished & final versions of the games anyway considering patches post release). PC gamers have forever been online only (especially via steam), and A/Sony's own ps store has constant sales & B/getting boxed versions is becoming increasingly more annoying than before due to many factors (Covid, postage costs etc.).

It's that digital ps5 which Microsoft should theoretically fear most because it seriously undercuts Xbox in every which way possible... if only people realized they didn't need a disk reader.

Blond

Banned
It’s not “sold” your fucking resellers are all over America selling stock that should go to consumers for 8-900 dollars. No way a fucking bot secured hundreds or thousands of them for a single person. Your supply line saw opportunities since you aren’t going to regulate them and took advantage. Bots played an issue obviously, but no way in hell it’s that bad.

blame retailers for not anticipating the bots and lacking any basic verified user authentication.

There’s already a lot of that going on. Captcha was getting applied heavily on target/walmart/GameStop especially GameStop with their cueing system.

I’m realizing now the biggest bastards in all of this are their resellers who supply retailer’s. Look at eBay and OfferUp, no way people secured hundreds of these things through bots.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
It's the digital 400 euros/$400 PS5 which is the real stealth killer console... if only people could change their habits & realize what a goddamn bargain it is (I'm literally amazed the disk version crushed it in terms of sales... i.e. what are people smoking? It's not like disks are the finished & final versions of the games anyway considering patches post release). PC gamers have forever been online only (especially via steam), and A/Sony's own ps store has constant sales & B/getting boxed versions is becoming increasingly more annoying than before due to many factors (Covid, postage costs etc.).

It's that digital ps5 which Microsoft should theoretically fear most because it seriously undercuts Xbox in every which way possible... if only people realized they didn't need a disk reader.

I went all digital but would never recommend a general consumer do it. It’s not the bargain it seems to be unless your buying habits match with it.

reinking

Gold Member
Why would they be able to produce more?

They work with the very same suppliers, fabs, and have to deal with the same constraints that all tech is dealing with.
Yep. I think Phil recently made comments that they would have supply issues through March.

What would be more worrisome for MS is if they did not have supply issues. That would mean demand is low.

It's two fold.

The scalpers are only able to make a profit because the demand is so high.

If the demand wasn't high enough then they wouldn't be able to sell them on for above retail price. Eventually they will all end up in the hands of people who want them.

Yeah for sure, but the profit issue isn't the same as a supply issue. People saying that the supplies are so low because scalpers are buying them up is kinda ridiculous. The systems that scalpers have acquired is a drop in the bucket.

This supply issue happens with every single console during every single launch and despite that people still get up in arms about it. Settle down folks. Supply will catch up to demand eventually.

ruvikx

Banned
I went all digital but would never recommend a general consumer do it. It’s not the bargain it seems to be unless your buying habits match with it.

The last time I got a boxed game was a gift a couple of years ago (Red Dead 2).

Since 2014 my habits been pretty much aligned with the special offers on the store & it needs to be said the ps store special offers are really, really good (I've purchased stuff like the Bioshock collection for less than 10 euros, or Titanfall 2 for 4.99 euros on ps4). My digital library is huge now.

Before long we'll see Demon Souls at 30 euros etc. i.e. I'll even say people have been purchasing DLC all digital for over a decade now so it's not much of a jump to get the full game digital.

kaczmar

Did Sony say they manufacture one PS5 every 30 seconds? If that is true, then Sony is making 172,800 units a day.

Either that 30-second number is bogus or there isn't a supply issue. Maybe Sony is intentionally creating a scarcity.

Entroyp

I just got another PS5 (for my brother in law) at BB on Saturday. Scalpers are making getting one ridiculously difficult, fuck them.

fallingdove

They'll announce in March that they sold more than 4 million PS5, but more than 60% would've been scalpers.
Where do you think the 60% of sold PS5s will go? Do you think scalpers will perpetually sell to other scalpers or is there an end user in there at some point?

Top Bottom