• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: Ghost of Tsushima is the “Poster Child” for Organic Growth, Sucker Punch Is a “Top Tier” Studio

Raonak

Banned
It's been awesome seeing sucker punch reach these highs.

Infamous SS was a bit disappointing after infamous 1 and 2.

But ghost is fantastic. And it's a new ip which makes it even more impressive.

DonJorginho

Banned
It's absolutely hilarious to see him pat Microsoft on the back for purchasing possibly one of the worst publishers outside of Ubisoft for an erroneous amount of money instead of organically building up their studios.

Xbox will suffer permanent loss this generation, mark my words.
I wouldn't say Bethesda are a bad publisher at all.

Prey
Dishonored 1 & 2
Doom and Doom Eternal
Wolfenstein The New Order & Wolfenstein II
The Evil Within 1 & 2
Rage 1 & 2

All decent to great titles, yeah some shit has been woeful like Youngblood and Fallout 76 but they have a pretty good selection of titles.

If they get back on form with Starfield then it is a great purchase.

The issue is when you need to pump £7bn because most of your own studios are average or underfunded them, they have some talent in their ranks but not enough of it.

The first thing I would do if I was in charge would be to get rid of the likes of 343 who haven't put out anything even remotely decent since their purchase and give a franchise as huge as Halo to a developer who has the care for the IP and the talent to make it work.

I wouldn't say Bethesda are a bad publisher at all.

Prey
Dishonored 1 & 2
Doom and Doom Eternal
Wolfenstein The New Order & Wolfenstein II
The Evil Within 1 & 2
Rage 1 & 2

All decent to great titles, yeah some shit has been woeful like Youngblood and Fallout 76 but they have a pretty good selection of titles.

If they get back on form with Starfield then it is a great purchase.

The issue is when you need to pump £7bn because most of your own studios are average or underfunded them, they have some talent in their ranks but not enough of it.

The first thing I would do if I was in charge would be to get rid of the likes of 343 who haven't put out anything even remotely decent since their purchase and give a franchise as huge as Halo to a developer who has the care for the IP and the talent to make it work.
Well said :messenger_bicep:

Jim Ryan is the "Poster Child" for lies and deception.

Jin Ryan: "We believe in generations"

Also Jim Ryan: "First 2 years will be cross gen"

gow3isben

Jim Ryan is the "Poster Child" for lies and deception.

Jin Ryan: "We believe in generations"

Also Jim Ryan: "First 2 years will be cross gen"

The second and third lines are not contradictory in the slightest. You can have generations with a transition period...just as every other generation has had before it. The only reason this one might seem a bit longer is because games simply take way longer to make and there have been delays.

Last edited:
The second and third lines are not contradictory in the slightest. You can have generations with a transition period...just as every other generation has had before it. The only reason this one might seem a bit longer is because games simply take way longer to make and there have been delays.

I know that dude. I am simply making fun of him and triggering fanboys lol.

Camreezie

I agree with him, GOT sealed their place in the top tier. Their actions are pretty much the bluepoint on how to get into that top tier

Keihart

Shu wasn't escheptical Jim ...
iu

Poster Child for thread derails.

In all honest not really lol. GOT is a good game but its way overhyped and this is coming from someone who has a platinum in the game when it came out.

Sucker Punch is far from a top tier studio and Infamous Second Son wasn't that great. It was good, but that's it. And Jim Ryan being a deceptive prick stands true whether you agree or not because that is a fact.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In all honest not really lol. GOT is a good game but its way overhyped and this is coming from someone who has a platinum in the game when it came out.

Sucker Punch is far from a top tier studio and Infamous Second Son wasn't that great. It was good, but that's it. And Jim Ryan being a deceptive prick stands true whether you agree or not because that is a fact.

Keep going!

🍿

GymWolf

Meh, i would be more happy with them working on a new infamous game tbh, tsushima was kinda perfect as a single game, jin saved his country and defeated the big villain, the end.

As a game itself, it was a decent 7\10 (more if you really like asian movies) that punch above his weight thanks to the incredible artstyle and windy location, but stealth was utterly broken, the plot\characters\villain only acceptable, forgettable sidequest and the game was too fucking easy after a while.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ryan is talking about growth and that is correct.

Infamous was decent, but b-tier until SS. Thats when they took off.
Second son was worse than infamous 1-2 for a lot of things and was far from an A-tier game or just a better tier than the 2 previous one (and i'm an infamous fanboy).

They really took off recently with tsushima.

I can’t change my setting for Lethal but I know I’d probably enjoy the game more if i did.
Stealth wise this game is no better than Tenchu which was 20+ years ago. That’s disappointing and my major gripe.

GymWolf

I can’t change my setting for Lethal but I know I’d probably enjoy the game more if i did.
Stealth wise this game is no better than Tenchu which was 20+ years ago. That’s disappointing and my major gripe.
Lethal mode is a double edged sword, you die fast but it's the same for enemies, if you are skilled it's kinda more easy than hard strangely enough, or at least this was my impression when i switched mode mid game.

Synless

A top tier studio that took 6 years to make a mediocre Assassin's Creed clone?

It sold better than expected and gamers seemed to enjoy it...but let's be real, it does nothing (outside of art and setting) even remotely interesting.
Really? It was better than any assassins creed game I’ve played and I’ve pretty much played them all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everything is going right for Sucker Punch games the fact that their last two games alone shows they’re talented.

FALCON_KICK

Sucker Punch should have implemented more RPG elements and made the game world more rich and I don't mean scenery. The game was very safe.

Hope with the success of GoT, Sucker Punch takes more risks with their next IP wrt Gameplay, World Building, Combat and RPG elements.

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

By reading some of the replies in this thread, you would think UBI were the pioneers of open world games with optional stealth mechanics. SMH.

dezzy8

Hes got damn right. I been wanting an open world Samurai game since the first time I played the original Assassins creed..and i've hoped for one every year

Playing that game felt like getting that dope ass gift you always wanted lol
Yup Ubisoft dropped the ball and sucker punch picked it up.

Making an AC clone makes you a Top Tier Studio.

Noted.
More like Witcher 3 with samurai.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I am a huge Sony Fanboy.

Sucker Punch is not a top tier studio.

There is Naughty Dog, and then there is Santa Monica.

There is a decent gap between Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. But those are the top 2.

The rest are not even close.

Jim knows this. This is PR talk.

Ghosts is a good game, Sucker Punch is not "top tier" in any department. Come on.

xviper

I love sony for allowing their studios to try and make something new instead of forcing the devs to milk a single franchise, eventually the devs will get bored and lose passion thus resulting in uninspired repetitive sequels (well done microsoft)

If Sony did what Microsoft does with their studios, we would have gotten yet another shitty Killzone and Infamous

A top tier studio that took 6 years to make a mediocre Assassin's Creed clone?

It sold better than expected and gamers seemed to enjoy it...but let's be real, it does nothing (outside of art and setting) even remotely interesting.
I'm actually interested in this though in terms of budget. Ok so it sold around 4 million right now ? But it took six years to make (sort of there was that previous IP that never got off the ground which was a weird mythical thief story), I wonder how that balance sheet looks like for the company. Same goes for Sony Bend I mean after 2012 that was their first game, I kinda wonder why it takes so long to make these games that are a bit average in concept. Sure the production quality is great, but jesus fuck the upper management at both of these studios must be shit if it takes them 5+ years to make one game this generation, only to end up copying Assassin's Creed on both occasions.

I love sony for allowing their studios to try and make something new instead of forcing the devs to milk a single franchise, eventually the devs will get bored and lose passion thus resulting in uninspired repetitive sequels (well done microsoft)

If Sony did what Microsoft does with their studios, we would have gotten yet another shitty Killzone and Infamous

I feel like when I look at the rumors and people who left Naughty Dog, and Guerilla Games, Sony seems to have kinda locked them into franchises also. There's been constant rumors of an Uncharted 5 or a prequel, and Horizon seems to be going for the usual trilogy vibe.

Microsoft in a weird way has a bit more genre variety at times. Gears Tactics is ... a weird take on a TPS franchise that actually worked. Sea of Thieves was not abandoned and a great pirate game. State of Decay is the only weak link at this point, but hopefully MS gives them more cash for the third game. I'm trying to think of what MS is currently forcing on devs, but besides Gears and Halo, most of their other studios are doing whatever they want.

thelastword

Banned
I've never heard Jim tell a lie....He did not bork that trend with the statement in the OP.....Such a brilliant mind that Jim.....Whilst people were busy buying random studios, Jim was beefing PlayStation Studio Quality internally 100x Fold....Quality Games Matter....

vpance

I'm actually interested in this though in terms of budget. Ok so it sold around 4 million right now ? But it took six years to make (sort of there was that previous IP that never got off the ground which was a weird mythical thief story), I wonder how that balance sheet looks like for the company. Same goes for Sony Bend I mean after 2012 that was their first game, I kinda wonder why it takes so long to make these games that are a bit average in concept. Sure the production quality is great, but jesus fuck the upper management at both of these studios must be shit if it takes them 5+ years to make one game this generation, only to end up copying Assassin's Creed on both occasions.

SP according to Glassdoor are 50-200 employees. I think it’s impressive what they accomplished with GoT.

They had the presence of mind to cancel that other game when something was obviously not right with it. I think that kind of thing happens more than we realize. And sometimes it just doesn’t happen when it should, like with Halo Craigfinite. It can be hard to make tough decisions like that. Reminds me of when they killed Stig’s game at SSM, firing half the company, then made GoW. Nice bounce back stories for 2 Sony studios.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I feel like when I look at the rumors and people who left Naughty Dog, and Guerilla Games, Sony seems to have kinda locked them into franchises also. There's been constant rumors of an Uncharted 5 or a prequel, and Horizon seems to be going for the usual trilogy vibe.

Microsoft in a weird way has a bit more genre variety at times. Gears Tactics is ... a weird take on a TPS franchise that actually worked. Sea of Thieves was not abandoned and a great pirate game. State of Decay is the only weak link at this point, but hopefully MS gives them more cash for the third game. I'm trying to think of what MS is currently forcing on devs, but besides Gears and Halo, most of their other studios are doing whatever they want.

I think there was a story this week that said Avengers has yet to break even at 3 million units sold.

Not sure how much more costly or cheaper Tsushima was.

Decent dev through and through. Infamous games were good but nothing amazing.

Ghost of Tsushima was fun and did its job, but got very boring and tedious by the end (went for 100% trophies platinum which i achieved).

I don't think Sucker Punch is a top tier studio sorry. Th That title belongs to Naughty Dog/Santa Monica and of course From Software for obvious reasons.

I wish Sucker Punch would make a new Sly Cooper. But I don't that will ever happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom