• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan confirms Sony ‘has more studio acquisitions planned’ (VGC)

I don’t know. I just remember seeing Sony fans and Jim Ryan saying organic growth was better than acquisitions. 🤷
Change in Strat. Remember when the Xbox 1 was bundled with Kinect and was supposed to be the one box entertainment centre in your home?

Or when Sony said no to cross-play?

Or when Gabe said the PS3 was shit and actually announced the release of Portal 2 for PS3 with a free copy for steam?

Sony is not acquiring CDPR, nobody is. CDPR is way too important to what Poland is trying to do in the games space.

That wouldn’t really change

In fact, i assume if sony doesn’t buy them someone else will pretty soon and definitely before the next witcher is out

Last edited:

GHound

That wouldn’t really change

In fact, i assume if sony doesn’t buy them someone else will pretty soon and definitely before the next witcher is out

Poland buys them and it becomes the official interactive entertainment division of the Polish government.
QzjHzxy.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Poland buys them and it becomes the official interactive entertainment division of the Polish government.
QzjHzxy.png

the prime minister gave Obama a copy of the Witcher 2 as a gift

kungfuian

If Sony plans on buying and making content exclusive to it's platform and PC, wonder how much the platform sales break downs of these suspected acquisitions matters? For example if Capcom has a relatively low/high revenue from the Nintendo and X-box platforms does that make it a better/worse target? Or are we assuming Sony goes the Bungie route where games stay multiplat and it doesn't matter.

I know Microsoft can take the initial hit, but how much does/did a company like Bethesda initially lose in value due to no longer selling on PlayStation when such a large part of their sales were on that platform?

If Sony plans on buying and making content exclusive to it's platform and PC, wonder how much the platform sales break downs of these suspected acquisitions matters? For example if Capcom has a relatively low/high revenue from the Nintendo and X-box platforms does that make it a better/worse target? Or are we assuming Sony goes the Bungie route where games stay multiplat and it doesn't matter.

I know Microsoft can take the initial hit, but how much does/did a company like Bethesda initially lose in value due to no longer selling on PlayStation when such a large part of their sales were on that platform?

Any publisher buys will probably still keep content on other platforms for the most part. So far, Sony haven’t taken content away from MP gamers.

Any publisher buys will probably still keep content on other platforms for the most part. So far, Sony haven’t taken content away from MP gamers.

This pretty much.

Anyone that has dreams of sony buying a major publisher and making them exclusive like microsoft did with zenimax is gonna be severely disappointed. Devs under playstation studios that don’t have licensed games are your best bet for increasing PlayStation’s library

A publisher like Capcom or Square Enix will never ONLY make games for playstation.

Last edited:

MAtgS

This pretty much.

Anyone that has dreams of sony buying a major publisher and making them exclusive like microsoft did with zenimax is gonna be severely disappointed. Devs under playstation studios that don’t have licensed games are your best bet for increasing PlayStation’s library

A publisher like Capcom or Square Enix will never ONLY make games for playstation.
Square only made games for Playstation for 2 whole gens.

Dolodolo

This pretty much.

You underestimate Sony.
They will easily throw the Xbox out of this equation, and not even raise an eyebrow.

The deal with Bungie was exceptional only because without the multi-platform condition they would not have agreed to be sold.

In publishing houses, the board of directors doesn't care. The main thing for them is that they offer more for the shares, that's all

You underestimate Sony.
They will easily throw the Xbox out of this equation, and not even raise an eyebrow.

The deal with Bungie was exceptional only because without the multi-platform condition they would not have agreed to be sold.

In publishing houses, the board of directors doesn't care. The main thing for them is that they offer more for the shares, that's all
It’s not just Xbox those companies make good money from Nintendo also, especially in Japan

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Given the amount of work integrating a large publisher, I'm not sure Sony will do it.

Bungie pretty much runs itself it seems. Something like Square Enix would be a massive amalgamation into SIE, plus there are studios/staff there that aren't top level.

Given the amount of work integrating a large publisher, I'm not sure Sony will do it.

Bungie pretty much runs itself it seems. Something like Square Enix would be a massive amalgamation into SIE, plus there are studios/staff there that aren't top level.

And they have their own individual businesses outside of gaming that I’m sure even Sony proper doesn’t have any use for.

People are just thirsty to match the Bethesda and activism on buyouts that they aren’t even thinking why Microsoft bought them In the first place and why it doesn’t make sense for Sony to do it

Not that I think that it will happen but sales on Xbox are lot less significant to any Japanese publisher than sales on PlayStation are/were for Bethesda and Activision.

Why I think Sony won't buy any of them is because they just don't need to, it's a lot more trouble than it is worth and they already get every significant game from these publisher save for very few exceptions (like Monster Hunter Rise). It seems extremely easy for Sony to tie these companies to PlayStation releases in the long term.

Lets use Square Enix for example, they already have FFXVI and FFVII R2 tied to them. What are the odds KH4 doesn't release on PS5? At this point we are already talking about games that are still multiple years from releasing when the generation has already being completely defined. If Sony was to take KH4 away from Xbox do you really think that would have any significant impact? If MS does another deal for Tomb Raider do you think Sony cares that much? It's the same story for pretty much any Japanese dev.

I expect Sony to keep going after individual devs, makes the most sense and has the most impact while having very limited risk. These moves from MS of purchasing entire publisher are extremely risky and could still easily blow up in their face specially when you consider the added risk of them trying to change their entire business model in the process. They are putting more and more pressure on Gamepass and for it to really disrupt the market but it hasn't really happened so far.

Hezekiah

Banned
And they have their own individual businesses outside of gaming that I’m sure even Sony proper doesn’t have any use for.

People are just thirsty to match the Bethesda and activism on buyouts that they aren’t even thinking why Microsoft bought them In the first place and why it doesn’t make sense for Sony to do it
Yeah and Activision was bought for what, 40% above market value, and has two big-name franchises that are probably past their best in WarCraft and CoD. Not to mention they have a huge image problem.

Bethesda is better value, but they've had their own problems with some of their IPs, and I think they're about 2,000 employees.

It's a massive job to integrate all of those employees, and I think Sony's method is wiser, and frankly much better value. There aren't that many top studios around, but there are some out there, Sony know who they are, and have good relationships with many of them. It's a more focused strategy.

solidus12

something big is going on!!???
Yes people are going to pee from their butts, and Greg Miller will delay his podcast.

Seriously, I wish there was a chance for Sony to acquire Ready At Dawn, I always had the impression that they were Naughty Dog or Santa Monica's little sibling... (you know because of their psp games and the Order that was inspired by Uncharted 2).
A shame they're with Facebook now :(

Last edited:

yurinka

What Sony plans is to continue making exclusive content for their console. And to port part of it to PC some time later, plus make movies and some mobile game about them.

Then they bought Bungie, and pretty likely will buy some multiplatform publisher more, that will continue being full multiplatform, even releasing their games on rival consoles day one. Pretty likely Sony will only ask them to don't go console exclusive with their rivals, to put their games on Sony's game subscription and not the rival ones, and give Sony exclusivity for markeing, console bundles or betas. And if some day they want to make a console exclusive, to make it with PS.

Sony is interested to make money from gamers from other consoles and PC day one but not using the PS Studios games (in PC not day one, in rival consoles never). With publishers they also have more big IPs, many popular names to fill their game sub with old classics and many excititng games to fill their roadmap now that AAA game developments will become longer, because every generattion AAA game developments get longer. And even if they are acquiring game developmentt studios and support studios, and are growing their existing teams, in the long term they'll need more.

I assume they want to continue growing their 1st party production and numbers to be in a position like Nintendo, where they wouldn't depend on 3rd party games but to rely only on 1st party games and keep 3rd party as something secondary to them.

Companies lke Bethesda or Activision Blizzard make most of their money on PS, and this is one of the reasons of why MS bought them and why MS said they will continue releasing games on PS. And why Sony said Bungie will continue releasing their future games on rival consoles and PC day one. Their value and revenue would sink if they full go full exclusive. As MS did with Minecraft, these companies get bought to help them grow and to get their profit, not to shrink them.

Sony wants to make money from the Xbox, Switch and mobile players but won't give them Uncharted, they would buy someone like Capcom or Bungie for that.

FROM acquisition please, im thirst for salty tears.
I can see the threads claiming it isn't consumer friendly.

It's always funny to read articles acting as if GP was a pioneer of game subs when PS+ got games before than MS and PS Now built a game sub with hundreds of games and cloud gaming in PS Now before GP existed, and when Sony has twice the subscribers in game subs than MS.

And well, Sony is a Japanese company so they wouldn't have language or cultural barriers, and would be interested in many of the non-gaming business some of these companies have like movies, anime, tv shows, tv channels, music, real estate and who knows if would also fit or adapt well toys and figurines, manga/book/magazine/game guides publishing or amusement centers to help push their IPs. They could even adapt Konami's gyms because they could expand to do some machines for gyms or stuff like that since they do all kind of machines, now even cars.

But yes, there's stuff that is hard to fit like the gyms or pachinko, specially for MS.

Seriously, I wish there was a chance for Sony to acquire Ready At Dawn, I always had the impression that they were Naughty Dog or Santa Monica's little sibling... (you know because of their psp games and the Order that was inspired by Uncharted 2).
100% agree. They did top tier PSP stuff and The Order even having flaws it was top tier in many areas even if they were a relatively small team for AAA games. I think with another chance in the AAA area after The Order they would have fixed these flaws and would have become a top tier team. But sadly FB bought them.

Last edited:

solidus12

They should focus on their platform and only release some older games to entice pc players to migrate to ps5.

If they keep releasing games on pc, what’s the point of owning a ps5?

+ on pc you have emulation.
MGS4 at 4K 60fps !!!

Yes people are going to pee from their butts, and Greg Miller will delay his podcast.

I see it the same way, they were perfect to take over an IP likie Uncharted now.

Sony let The Order flop get in the way of something good that they had going on. They should've taken the hit and delayed it another year.

Last edited:
Not saying anything...might be nothing...but Jim Ryan (PS CEO), Hermen Hulst (Head of PlayStation Studios) and multiple Playstation top guys are in Japan and have been for a while now. Many of them have visited Kojima Productions, Team Asobi, etc...:

1a8FjC.png

Vice President, Head of Corporate Strategy
Senior Manager, Corporate Strategy
Senior Director, Corporate Strategy

Christian Svensson is the Head of third-party relations.

Basically everyone important is in Japan right now.

Godot25

Banned
Not saying anything...might be nothing...but Jim Ryan (PS CEO), Hermen Hulst (Head of PlayStation Studios) and multiple Playstation top guys are in Japan and have been for a while now. Many of them have visited Kojima Productions, Team Asobi, etc...:

1a8FjC.png

If Kojima wanted to be part of PlayStation Studios, he would already be there. Even before Death Stranding release. I think that Hideo likes to be "independent" and that's why he don't want to be sold.
Also, it would be strange for Sony to buy KojiPro since they are currently also developing Xbox exclusive game

If Kojima wanted to be part of PlayStation Studios, he would already be there. Even before Death Stranding release. I think that Hideo likes to be "independent" and that's why he don't want to be sold.
Also, it would be strange for Sony to buy KojiPro since they are currently also developing Xbox exclusive game

Remember Insomniac and Sunset Overdrive?

My post isn't just about Kojima though.

Godot25

Banned
Remember Insomniac and Sunset Overdrive?
Yes. But Insomniac got bought AFTER Sunset Overdrive. Not before. Also, Spider-Man is best selling first-party game from PS4 generation. So it was pretty clear that after release Sony would try to secure them. Before that there was no big reason to do it. Yes, Ratchet games were great, same for Resistance, but they were not system sellers. Death Stranding also wasn't system seller.

So imagine if Sony tried to buy KojiPro. They would either needed to buyout Microsoft contract with KojiPro, which would be hugely expansive. Or they would need to wait several years until Kojima would finish Xbox exclusive game.

1a8FjC.png

Fiscal reporting Q2 is next week.

So imagine if Sony tried to buy KojiPro. They would either needed to buyout Microsoft contract with KojiPro, which would be hugely expansive. Or they would need to wait several years until Kojima would finish Xbox exclusive game.

Lol how do you figure? Some experimental cloud game that hasn't even started development in earnest yet isn't going to be expensive nor are they even bound to it

well. Your links show
Kojima. Which is "duh" since Kojima is rumored to be developing PS5 game
and
Asobi. Which is "more duh" since they are first-party studio
then you have "etc." without mentioning any other company involved :p
You also have the head of third-party relations in there. You wouldn't need all these people for a trip to Kojima Productions only because Death Stranding exists...just saying.

Godot25

Banned
Lol how do you figure? Some experimental cloud game that hasn't even started development in earnest yet isn't going to be expensive nor are they even bound to it
I suspect you know how far in development that game is. Since you are claiming that it "haven't even started development"
Of course, even if that was a case, I fully expect that Microsoft and Kojima signed a binding contract and I really doubt that Microsoft would let it go if Sony bought KojiPro for real.
I mean. If Microsoft did not cancelled "timed exclusive" contracts for Deathloop and GhostWire, I expect that there is some harsh language there in case of cancelation. I doubt Sony would risk anything.

Elios83

They would just honor that contract for that particular game while they would focus attention to new projects. The same thing that Microsoft has been doing for Bethesda and will do in future with Activision (if it's approved)? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But in general Sony has better targets than Kojima in Japan.
Kojima Productions has no huge IPs and the value is all in Kojima who is close to 60.
The best thing is to make second party partnerships with him.

Last edited:
I suspect you know how far in development that game is. Since you are claiming that it "haven't even started development"
Of course, even if that was a case, I fully expect that Microsoft and Kojima signed a binding contract and I really doubt that Microsoft would let it go if Sony bought KojiPro for real.
I mean. If Microsoft did not cancelled "timed exclusive" contracts for Deathloop and GhostWire, I expect that there is some harsh language there in case of cancelation. I doubt Sony would risk anything.

They announced a partnership at E3. Not even a game. That tells us all we need to know about how far along this is. Good luck arguing any financial damages for something that barely even exists yet.

I fully expect some of their next purchases to be for GAAS studios they already have relationships with.

• Arrowhead
  • Deviation Games (always found it strange that their building has PlayStation iconography all over the walls)
  • Firewalk
Outside of this, given their moves into the PC and Sub market, I think a publisher like Sega or Capcom makes sense. Lots of IP to leverage and strong PC support already in place. They would simultaneously add to what Sony have, but also bring some differences.

Top Bottom