• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan CEO of SIE expects PS5 to sell more than PS4 in its first year

Makes sense. Fiscal year ends in March 2021 and they expect to sell out all their initial shipments which I believe are higher than PS4 were, right?

The problem will be that the overall console population is likely to shrink this coming gen. Maybe that doesn't matter with higher game costs and larger initial subscription numbers.

I’d honestly be shocked if it didn’t. I’m contributing to his fiscal year prediction. I got lucky with a Best Buy preorder. Sony may or may not have a stellar lineup at launch depending on one’s point of view but we all know what’s coming eventually. They should easily smash PS4 sales.

I think Jim is in for a very rough reality check soon.

This isn't 2013 when Nintendo had flopped hard with Wii u and xbox one had a weaker and more expensive console that you couldn't share discs with your friends.

This is 2020 and Nintendo is all the rage with switch, xbox looks more SeXy and with a more impressive studio lineup than Sony's, specially with so many gamers fed up with the kind of cinematic woke scripted games Sony studios are known for.

To make things worse, Oculus Quest 2 will build up on the lack of Sony's momentum with ancient psvr...

plenty of great competition this time, Jimbo. Better draw whatever secret weapons you have in that sleeve...

Kerotan

Well that's a safe bet by him but he still sucks as CEO and the PS5 rollout has been garbage. He's coasting off brand power right now.
It's been absolutely fine.

Anyway I'm sure it will sell more as playstation dominated xbox this gen after a powerful software performance from year one until it's final year. Gamers will naturally respond by flocking to the ps5 at a faster rate then the ps3 which didn't have as good a gen.

The real wildcard will be Xbox Series S, especially the 'all access $15/month'. That could be a gigantic hit that actually hurts Sony. Hell, I'm considering replacing my One X with a Series S down the line instead of the Series X. I love how small it is and 1440p/120fps is not bad at all, considering it has all the rest of Velocity Architecture improvements.

Last edited:

Kerotan

This isn't 2013 when Nintendo had flopped hard with Wii u and xbox one had a weaker and more expensive console that you couldn't share discs with your friends.

This is 2020 and Nintendo is all the rage with switch, xbox looks more SeXy and with a more impressive studio lineup than Sony's, specially with so many gamers fed up with the kind of cinematic woke scripted games Sony studios are known for.

To make things worse, Oculus Quest 2 will build up on the lack of Sony's momentum with ancient psvr...

plenty of great competition this time, Jimbo. Better draw whatever secret weapons you have in that sleeve...
Can't wait to see your excuses when ps5 sells gang busters over the next 12 months. Ps4 was the best gen ever by any console and the ps5 will continue that momentum.

Journey

Banned
QY9o0JA.jpg

Can't wait to see your excuses when ps5 sells gang busters over the next 12 months. Ps4 was the best gen ever by any console and the ps5 will continue that momentum.

alright, Jimbo. Good luck.

I won't have any excuses as I will be very busy playing Splinter Cell VR on Oculus Quest to take notice of the great battle of the retro nextgen consoles

kthxbai

bitbydeath

Nope. PS5 has the best launch year ever and Xbox has the worst ever. That’s what people will see, not hopes and dreams of waiting for E3

Concern

Water is wet

If you thought otherwise, idk what to say. Especially with Covid, these things are moving fast.

Tutomos

Game pass and Xbox One X/ SAD did not produce better results. The continuation of that strategy will not change the current situation.

Furball

Expect to sell more ..... Pretty much has zero Interest RPG for me to buy and no FF16 release date .

pretty much PS5 library look like barren wasteland just like PS4

Last edited:

ZehDon

I think he's right to have that expectation; gaming is booming right now, and they have the hot product to sell. They'll struggle to meet demand for at least the next six months.

I think the issue will come down to profitability on that hardware. With elevated game prices and the biggest games in the world being F2P, there's the chance they're actually going to make less money per unit sold than the PS4. They may sell more hardware, but they could sell less software. I'll be curious to see how they fare once the launch rush is over.

MastaKiiLA

Yes, it will, but it probably won’t sell as many as the Ps4 overall. Neither will the Series X/S sell as many as the One. A big change is coming to video gaming. Maybe not in the next two or three years, but cloud streaming is going to have a huge impact on console sales.
I'm of this opinion. TV and music consumption appear to have swiftly transitioned over to streaming. I look at all these kids consuming media through their phones now, and the prevalence of mobile gaming in SEA, and I have no doubt that gaming is the next form of entertainment on the chopping block. The upshot for Sony is that economies of scale will allow them and MS to simply forgo a mid-gen refresh, in order to continue dropping the prices on the new systems. We used to have $99 consoles. No reason we can't get back to that this generation. Then it just becomes an STB that can play next-gen games, while the associated streaming services spread across other platforms like smart TVs and phones.

ZywyPL

Banned
We only know that PS5 preorders sold out within minutes, whereas Ryan has the exact numbers, whether it was 1.6M, 2.4M, 4.3M etc. units, so he has the first hand data for making projections. But I think hes a bit too optimistic, if we are talking about first year's PS4 vs PS5 sales, we're talking about 399+prosperity vs 499+covid, many people care about buying food and paying bills first and foremost, a gaming console is not even on their mind, and won't be for the upcoming year or two. Plus MS is giving them a serious competition this time around. So I don't think they'll beat 14MLN units sold within first year set by the PS4, I'd say they'll be lucky if they'll hit 10 by the end of November 2021.

We only know that PS5 preorders sold out within minutes, whereas Ryan has the exact numbers, whether it was 1.6M, 2.4M, 4.3M etc. units, so he has the first hand data for making projections. But I think hes a bit too optimistic, if we are talking about first year's PS4 vs PS5 sales, we're talking about 399+prosperity vs 499+covid, many people care about buying food and paying bills first and foremost, a gaming console is not even on their mind, and won't be for the upcoming year or two. Plus MS is giving them a serious competition this time around. So I don't think they'll beat 14MLN units sold within first year set by the PS4, I'd say they'll be lucky if they'll hit 10 by the end of November 2021.
People are still spouting this nonsense about covid being an inhibitor here when spending on streaming, gaming, pc hardware etc is at an all time high? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
People are still spouting this nonsense about covid being an inhibitor here when spending on streaming, gaming, pc hardware etc is at an all time high? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're talking about an already huge, well established userbase vs none - of course people who already own PS4/XB1/NSW/PC will keep spending money on it, especially during pandemic times where people spend more time at home than ever before, streaming and games cost very little compared to a whole new console, which doesn't offer any new games mind you, almost all of the games that are being released this and next year will be easily playable on PS4/XB1. It's like tanking you car vs buying new from a dealer

PC is a bit different story, PC guys don't pray do god every night "please be 399, please be 399...", this audience can spend even 1k on a single part without batting an eye, so obviously that branch is doing strong, as always.

Rolla

Banned
Have you seen the launch line up and window? I legit don't know how I'm going to navigate this and on top of that I thoroughly enjoyed the COD beta so that's another day 1 purchase.

EjgOXHsXYAIpMWp

The mindshare PS captured during the PS4 generation is a huge factor. But for some strange reason that momentum is a factor some people wilfully dismiss on core forums.

I think it will sell at a faster rate at first mostly because gamers are starving for new hardware and games I feel, but I’m doubting it will continue to outsell the PS4 long term. At $400? Maybe. At $500? I doubt it. At first sales will be strong, but most gamers are che.....er....frugal when it comes to hardware prices and IF the price drops to something like $300 or even $350 or something, then it could be within the realm of reality.

I highly doubt they will drop the price at a reasonable time frame to attempt to achieve more sales based on the fact that there is still a $400 PS4 on the market after 7 years which is kind of ridiculous imho.

Get some more stock so we can preorder then :messenger_sleeping:
Not if they can't keep up with supply.
I'd love to be a part of it selling that much but can't get one...
Doubt it when no one can fucking buy the damn thing
Thats some sound logic right there! They cant keep the pre-orders in stock and that means to you all they will sell LESS because of this? You realize that this means in minutes they are selling out of every console they PLAN to make right? And would Jim know exactly how many they PLAN to make? I cant take it sometimes on here.

makaveli60

He may be right but it's not his achievement at all. He is just destroying the brand currently that the previous management(s) built up.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Definitely don’t see how this wouldn’t be the case. The PlayStation brand is as strong as ever, especially with the “power users” so to speak. The issue Sony will have is getting the average consumer to buy into their console this gen with a cheaper Xbox out there and Gamepass.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This man needs to put down the pipe. They won't be able to manufacture that many let alone have any chance of selling them.

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned
Thats some sound logic right there! They cant keep the pre-orders in stock and that means to you all they will sell LESS because of this? You realize that this means in minutes they are selling out of every console they PLAN to make right? And would Jim know exactly how many they PLAN to make? I cant take it sometimes on here.
Cause they understocked. That’s the entire argument

supernova8

Banned
I mean let's be real here. He's the CEO of SIE - the company responsible for PS5.

What did people expect him to say?

"PS5 will not outsell PS4 and this is a big fucking disaster. I'm packing my bags let's get the fuuuuck out of here"

It would be like acting surprised when Phil Spencer says he expects Game Pass subscriptions to continue increasing.

No fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit he would say that!

Airbus Jr

Banned
Doubtfull since PS5 is $100 more expensive than PS4

But it depends on the game library support

If PS5 can deliver better game during its lifespan than it might happen

Top Bottom