• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and the denigration of Playstation.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yawn. He didn't come into power until 2018 I believe? I don't think he's directly to blame for a lot of the issues you're referring to.

I think the most destructive thing he's doing it his $70 stingy pricing on games and pc ports.
Isn't he European operative, tho?
: D

Aenima

I know Jimbo is not the most charismatic Playstation CEO, but Jimbo works for Sony since the very 1st Playstation console. He knows what hes doing. Playstation had an incredible year in 2020 in the midle of a pandemic, and still managed to pull out 2 highly aclaimened GOTY games, TLOU2 highly aclaimed in the west, and Ghost of Tsushima highly aclaimed in Japan.

Not to mendition PS5 had one of the stongest launch lineups a Playstation console ever had on launch day.

Like it or not the direction Playstation is on, started with the PS3, many years before Jim Ryan became the CEO. Playstation is one of the most consistent publishers putting GOTY contenders out pretty much every year. So they must doing something right.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
giant-santa-on-fire-christmas-ruined-burning-1416876377l.jpg

Raonak

Banned
Lmfao. Yeah okay, if we're gonna blame Jimbo for anything bad, we should blame him for anything good.

Fuck you Jim Ryan for releasing TLOU2, Dreams, GOT, Spiderman, Demons and Sackboy in one year.

Fuck you for making PlayStation as successful as it's ever been.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I don't care what he does just keep those pc ports coming. We need to know when the next one is released. Proper coding this time please.

Blond

Banned
Japan doesn't give a fuck about playstation anymore.
They want their switches and mobile phones. That's it.

If I was Sony, I'd put way more time and effort emerging markets like India, middle East. That's gonna pay off for you.

Ps5 will sell less than Ps4, and ps6 even less than that.

I’ve said this during every tirade he’s posted so far. Console’s are dead in Japan, mobile and arcades are what they want. And for record, PS2 sold 24 million consoles in Japan, PS3 10 million and PS4 8 million. It’s extremely clear the market changed for consoles in Japan with the PS360 generation and there was a reason for the focus shift. It’s clear the market in Japan for consoles is gone for all but the hardcore.

People leave companies all the time. I understand the conclave of news regarding Sony Japan may make you think a certain possibility. Japanese creatives leaving, Forbes articles about Japanese market troubles, changes in Sony direction, and the whole "censorship" stuff. It does look like there's an increasing disinterests in Japanese games. Well at least in developing thier own, no doubt they still care about 3rd party developers.

But still people leave companies all the time. I think there could be something to these fears, but I'm not sure they are correct yet.

Yeah I could see Sony starting to have an over reliance on thier formula, but I mean as far as "unique" games go they have a very arcadey looking shooter in Reterunal, a maybe Fornite looking but still very French looking destruction derby game, and have had platformers like Sack Boy and Astro Boy for the PS5. So it's not all God of War and it's a hell of a lot better then whatever MS had which is nothing.

I get it, these aren't the days of the PS1 or PS2, but there's less games in general. Making games today as a more time consuming thing. Gone are the days of small studios making games in 10 months.

Also gone are the days of Playstation dominating Japan. While it could come back and I feel Sony shouldn't neglect Japan. It's not like they totally do since they still see value in the 3rd party deals like Project Athia and FFXVI. No doubt developers like Atlus, Vanilaware, and so on will continue making stuff for Ps5 eventually.

I think it's foolish to at least not put some effort in Japan of course. Anime is as popular as ever outside of Japan, Japanese games make good for AA games, Japanese games appeal to growing markets like China, South Korea, and Asia in general, if anything the PS4 gen proved there's still a place for Japanese games, and so on.

I hope Sony will deliver on the Japanese games and I hope they will publish and develop thier own, but we will see. It's only like two months into the PS5.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dude, Gravity Rush didn't sell enough. If you want to blame someone, blame the audience.
If companies only make games that does big numbers in terms of sells then we are going to have very boring ass selection of games.

What I liked about PlayStation is they used to give games that might not sell big numbers a chance, because it would make their selection diverse.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Exactly, 2019. People have short memory and overreact every time something negative (or something they don't like) happens.
Dying Laughing GIF by memecandy

Sony fanboys are some of the most cannibalistic type of fanboys. Even when one criticizes Sony, they attack each other lmao. Get a load of this shit show 🤣🤣🤣.
Who's attacking who? People are arguing about the thread with OP, some with the usual/funny sarcasm. You're the shit show _ you're the troll calling everyone fanboys and cannibalistic Sony fanboys out of nowhere. Wtf?

Blond

Banned
If companies only make games that does big numbers in terms of sells then we are going to have very boring ass selection of games.

What I liked about PlayStation is they used to give games that might not sell big numbers a chance, because it would make their selection diverse.

yeah but those games that didn’t use to sell big numbers still need to make money. Persona has basically taken over the console space for the Megaten Series and all the mainline games have been regulated to DS/3DS. I think now that it’s just clearer than even smaller games on hardware like this are a gamble vs potential loss lead or surprise hit.

Danjin44

yeah but those games that didn’t use to sell big numbers still need to make money. Persona has basically taken over the console space for the Megaten Series and all the mainline games have been regulated to DS/3DS. I think now that it’s just clearer than even smaller games on hardware like this are a gamble vs potential loss lead or surprise hit.
I don't want to see games like 13 Sentinels disappear just because they don't sell big numbers. Like I said this before, if we only get games with high sells then gaming industry going to be very boring place.

My problem with current Sony is that they only want to invest on AAA western games and eventually Playstation is going lose the diversity in their game selections that made me liked Playstation in the first place.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I don't want to see games like 13 Sentinels disappear just because they don't sell big numbers. Like I said this before, if we only get games with high sells then gaming industry going to be very boring place.
I never said big numbers per se, just money. I want my Japanese games back in PS2 era numbers but that isn’t happening anymore :/

carlosrox

Banned
Ehhhh all this talk about industry people often feels like armchair whining and criticism to me.

You don't work with this guy.

bxrz

I don't want to see games like 13 Sentinels disappear just because they don't sell big numbers. Like I said this before, if we only get games with high sells then gaming industry going to be very boring place..
I don't see why games like that can't still exist though. They will probably just have to go to other publishers like Nintendo/MS/Ubisoft ect

Concern

Exactly, 2019. People have short memory and overreact every time something negative (or something they don't like) happens.

Who's attacking who? People are arguing about the thread with OP, some with the usual/funny sarcasm. You're the shit show _ you're the troll calling everyone fanboys and cannibalistic Sony fanboys out of nowhere. Wtf?

Very first reply kicked things off. Idk if your reading comprehension is that poor or just being disingenuous. Still hilarious either way lol.

Danjin44

I don't see why games like that can't still exist though. They will probably just have to go to other publishers like Nintendo/MS/Ubisoft ect
To me it very sad to see Sony became less willing to invest on more unique games like they used to and just playing it completely safe and only invest on AAA western games for their first party games.

I missed unique games like these:
51GB8xF-VeL.jpg
51Amy0hsBvL._AC_.jpg
81F1bAGK1aL._SL1500_.jpg
MV5BOGE3YzE1YTUtOTU0NC00ZDg1LTg0NzUtNTA1NmExYTY3NGJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

d8mg51z-bd3be156-2d3e-46e6-9293-bfd9843d7ba9.png
soul-sacrifice-delta-5847.jpg
91bidL5mJxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Shkyboy924

Neo Member
As we know, Playstation has been a brand where it has had many games, especially original and unique games.

These times have unfortunately changed since this nefarious man named Jim Ryan arrived.

670615.jpg

This idiot is not interested in the Japanese market, nor its productions, he has completely destroyed such a wonderful studio as Japan Studio, he has turned Playstation games into Hollywood products, with a denigration in the sagas, productions that have put the SWJ , where wonderful games like The last of us, have been decayed in a sequel that is not up to the first game.

The decadent way in which he treats Japanese productions, not to say discriminatory, the fact of censoring Japanese games for nonsense, but respecting the rawness of animal cruelty in The last of us Part II, as well as its sexual scenes, this wants say the great denigration it has towards the free artistic style of Japanese productions.

This stupid Jim Ryan has made dire decisions, launching the ps5 console in times of pandemic where not only does it not have games that sell consoles, but there are also no Next-Gen productions, and the limited availability of consoles that exist.

Poor hardware quality on PS5 where there have been problems with yellow cases on some models or freezes.

Total repudiation of this person for his foolish decisions
EknfHOd.gif

Bryank75

Banned
SIE Japan just put out Astrobot, they had Astrobot Rescue Mission a while back and helped with Demons Souls.... all high scoring games that were very well received by fans.

Kojima is still working with Sony and Polyphony is doing GT7, due in the next year.

We have no idea what the big picture is for SIE Japan. They may be focusing on having staff geared towards certain projects or genres....

Just be patient.

I really think they should buy Kadokawa and From to reinforce their moves in Anime and gaming. It makes a lot of sense.

bender

What time is it?
My 2cents on the bleed out.

And as predicted, the first batch that left over the last month or so wasn't the end of it (based on what happened at SIJ yesterday).

Puppeteer was dope and I'm not sure it received any type of advertising budget. I guess what I'll never understand is why Sony can't do in-house Indie type develop with modest scopes and budgets, release them at "value" prices and advertise them similar to what they did with 3rd party Indies at the beginning of the PS4 era. It would also have the knock-on effect of letting your creators stretch their wings away from these massive projects.

You make good points with Dreams (Media Molecule seems to be Sony's passion project) and Death Stranding (not my cup of tea either) and those examples do give me some hope. I totally get that games like God of War, Uncharted and Horizon are the bread and butter, but as a long time PlayStation fan, that's not why I come to the brand. I think the most troubling aspect of Sony 1st party is how they are deemphasizing Japan. That's definitely where my interests lie.

Shkyboy924

Neo Member
What I can only ascertain from your arguement is he's being really mean to Japan and Japanese developers even though Demon Souls is a Japanese game remastered and Astrobot another Japanese developed game given free to showcase the PS5 feature set.

Not to mention the PS5 being sold out everywhere and the launch games being highly reviewed.

Election 2020 Lol GIF by Joe Biden

My 2cents on the bleed out.

And as predicted, the first batch that left over the last month or so wasn't the end of it (based on what happened at SIJ yesterday).

Great analysis. It really feels that for every major success, they had almost equally major flop, commercially of course.

Hell, even Miles Morales is hardly on fire right now.

@gkTH

With the fact that Japan console market is not a strategic growth engine for them.
In term of business I fully agree on what he's doing now - not too much invest in an area does not make enough money.

Playstation is one brand of gaming industry and sure it stands for core business of Sony.
The balance should be rather prevailed than focusing on no active market.

I'm still a fan of Sony and Playstation but with understanding of the real situation they're facing too.

They're doing exactly that: Bugsnax, Sackboy, Destruction Allstars and Returnal next year or do those games not count.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PlayStation 5 is the resetera of video game consoles

99% of the video games I care about are Japanese so sony is pretty much dead to me

I agree with the OP but it is much deeper than Jim Ryan

Things have been going downhill for PlayStation since Jan 2016 when the HQ moved

Consistently horrible decisions have been made they have been moving away from what made PlayStation in the first place

if you aren't a soy drinking, furry loving....I could go on but to sum it up

Buy an XBOX or Switch or just game on PC....Sony/censorship is bad for the industry and cultural bias in video games is just wrong

Top Bottom