• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and Playstation must be sued for misleading PS5 buyer

WolfusFh

You’re the person who sued McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on your own damn lap, aren’t you?
To be fair, in that case (or at least the one I assume you're talking about) McDonalds' coffee temperature was considerably above safety protocols, and the person got 3rd degree burns (something you don't usually expect with coffee).

However, even if it had been as ridiculous as "ouchy bad coffee hurt my lap I'll sue", OP is still worse. At least in the coffee case you have a mild inconvenience (temporary pain).

yurinka

Weird that GT7 isn't on there. I'd assume it was a GAAS game, but it's not anywhere on that chart.

As for Bungie, I forget. There's so many charts and Jim Ryan statements, do you remember if Bungie stuff is included or excluded from all those charts? I thought I remember they are excluded. But that might had been about some other chart or statement.
GT7 is missing there, but also there are tons of non-GaaS games missing there. I think the logos were only to illustrate the idea that most of their games now aren't GaaS instead of a detailed list of all the series they have of each type.

Jimbo said the charts don't include Bungie. Which makes sense because they can't: the acquisition still isn't closed, there's still months ahead of paperwork and regulator approvals.

Back on topic- I don’t think PS has any plans to launch same day on both console and PS unless its a game that needs a high player count to survive.

In the end, they rely on sub revenue for 2/3 of their revenue? They need people to buy their boxes, so giving people an out (aka day 1 on PC) will make people like me leave.
Subscriptions are a small part of Sony's game division revenue. 1st party games are a tiny part of the division's revenue. Remember this fiscal year they made $80M (and plan $300M for this year) with PC ports and like $25B in the whole division.

To make a few ports more will give them a good amount of extra money, but not enough to risk their >$20B. So forget to see games on PC day one, or at least all of them (some F2P multiplayer only GaaS can be an exception).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"Only on Playstation" is not a lie really... unless they add "...forever" at the end
Sony never lied. It is on Playstation. lol. Gotta give credit to Sony for covering their bases.

ofpvQmk.jpg

Wohc

Banned
So your calling the admins fanboys then.
Your reading comprehension sucks or you're intentionally misreading. Either way i'm done with you.
Doesn't matter how many people report a post or a member. The mods ultimately make the call. Everyone is going to have a different view on who is more deserving when it comes to this sort of thing.
Mods are humans too. If i was a mod and would get 5 or more reports on a post i would more likely punish it than if i get 1 report or find the post myself and it has 0 reports.

I would love to see the admin add a statistic for "posts reported" like "reactions given" or under each post "this post was reported by" or a number under everybodys names. I bet this would lower the number of reports drastically and make work easier for mods.

Your reading comprehension sucks or you're intentionally misreading. Either way i'm done with you.

This is what I’m making a reference to,

but they simply don't get reported because one crow does not peck the other's eye.

Seems like your saying that crows don’t hurt either because they belong to the same flock. I’m not familiar with this expression so I interpreted as the mods won’t hurt PlayStation fanboys because they belong to their group. Which is something I disagree with BTW.

If you didn’t mean that I would appreciate a clarification if your still willing.

Mods are humans too. If i was a mod and would get 5 or more reports on a post i would more likely punish it than if i get 1 report or find the post myself and it has 0 reports.

I would love to see the admin add a statistic for "posts reported" like "reactions given" or under each post "this post was reported by" or a number under everybodys names. I bet this would lower the number of reports drastically and make work easier for mods.

Yes that’s actually how it works here. I guess if a mod got spammed with reports they would look at those first. They are not capable of looking at everything which is why some comments seem to go unnoticed. But make no mistake anyone can report here and as long as they do the mods will see the reports. When it comes to who gets banned the mods do a pretty good job with managing the reports that they get. Seems like it’s justified when someone gets the axe.

Only thing I can recommend is report what you believe is inappropriate and allow the mods to decide how to dish out the punishment. That’s all we can do as users on this site.

Last edited:
I think that is why it is a good thing that most of us are not mods. If the mob ruled this place then it would be damn near empty.

I actually used to post on a site where the issues could vote to censor a post. The mods were the ones that made the final call but you would still see a ton of posts get minimized. It was tedious to have to click on them so you could read them again. I guess something similar would happen here if the users were allowed to participate in the moderation more. Definitely not something I want to be a part of.

Topher

Gold Member
I actually used to post on a site where the issues could vote to censor a post. The mods were the ones that made the final call but you would still see a ton of posts get minimized. It was tedious to have to click on them so you could read them again. I guess something similar would happen here if the users were allowed to participate in the moderation more. Definitely not something I want to be a part of.

N4G

Here I Am Hiding GIF by Bounce

Edit: At least it was like that with the old bubble system. Basically people can vote to give or take away bubbles. Each bubble is a comment you can make. If you have only one bubble you can make one comment. If you have 10 (max I believe) you can make 10 comments.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
Seems like your saying that crows don’t hurt either because they belong to the same flock. I’m not familiar with this expression so I interpreted as the mods won’t hurt PlayStation fanboys because they belong to their group. Which is something I disagree with BTW.

If you didn’t mean that I would appreciate a clarification if your still willing.
Ok, i thought you tried to troll me. Sorry if i was wrong and let my clarifiy it then. By saying "but they simply don't get reported because one crow does not peck the other's eye" i didn't mean the mods. Mods don't report, they just have to handle reports. Users report. I thought that was obvious.

This place here seems to work like highschool cliques. VFX is one of the outsiders and his adversaries are in a very large clique. If VFX posts some warring shit he gets lots of reports. If one from the large clique posts equivalent warring shit he gets no reports from the same people who reported VFX, because one crow does not peck the other's eye.

Ok, i thought you tried to troll me. Sorry if i was wrong and let my clarifiy it then. By saying "but they simply don't get reported because one crow does not peck the other's eye" i didn't mean the mods. Mods don't report, they just have to handle reports. Users report. I thought that was obvious.

This place here seems to work like highschool cliques. VFX is one of the outsiders and his adversaries are in a very large clique. If VFX posts some warring shit he gets lots of reports. If one from the large clique posts equivalent warring shit he gets no reports from the same people who reported VFX, because one crow does not peck the other's eye.

Ok I understand that. What reports get filed is going to depend on the composition of the user base here. If 90% of them are PlayStation fanboys (for example) most of them won’t report those that share their bias. This leads to reports being mostly one sided.

This part I understand completely however it really isn’t the sites fault that this happens.

As for VFX I believe his ban was warranted since their reasoning can be back up by the posts that he made. But I do understand that he choose to attack PlayStation with a lot of his posts and he also seems to hate the PlayStation fanbase. With that I can understand why he got so many reports.

If VFX did the same thing but from the perspective of a PlayStation fanboy I still think he would still get the ban. Maybe with fewer reports but I’m still certain the mods would have made the same decision.

Anyways I’m glad you responded.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Ok I understand that. What reports get filed is going to depend on the composition of the user base here. If 90% of them are PlayStation fanboys (for example) most of them won’t report those that share their bias. This leads to reports being mostly one sided.

This part I understand completely however it really isn’t the sites fault that this happens.

As for VFX I believe his ban was warranted since their reasoning can be back up by the posts that he made. But I do understand that he choose to attack PlayStation with a lot of his posts and he also seems to hate the PlayStation fanbase. With that I can understand why he got so many reports.

If VFX did the same thing but from the perspective of a PlayStation fanboy I still think he would still get the ban. Maybe with fewer reports but I’m still certain the mods would have made the same decision.

Anyways I’m glad you responded.
This turned into a ban discussion thread huh.

There is only one thing to note here, anyone that reports me gets banned. It’s statistically proven. 😜

This turned into a ban discussion thread huh.

There is only one thing to note here, anyone that reports me gets banned. It’s statistically proven. 😜

We used to have a thread for that but it got shut down. Sorry about this derail but VFXs perm warning is pretty significant due to his credentials.

SeraphJan

After reading OP thoroughly, I don't think he really cared about Playstation at all, but mainly a PC gamer, and felt tricked to buy a hardware that he does not want for exclusive content that he does want.

In that perspective, Sony is kind of being dishonest

I think its the people with warring mindset jumps to conclusion too quickly

BTW I'm all for freedom of expression, please don't turn this wonderful forum into ResetEra

Last edited:

vkbest

If you have a silent PC in the living room, and don’t mind waiting up to 3 years to play the games, and have no interest in PSVR2… Then sure, I can see the point why you don’t think you need the PS5.

I’m playing on both platforms because I don’t like waiting, don’t have a silent PC in the living room, and is interested in PSVR2 for the AAA push even though cabled VR is annoying.
3 years? Miles morales < 2 years, Sackboy < 2 years. Returnal is 1 year from now and it’s rumored releasing this year

Kokoloko85

Jim should release the games on Xbox and Switch too. He sounds dumb enough to do it.

Get him and Hermen out. Game releases have been great these past 2 years but that has nothing to do with them being in charge, the rest of the Playstation decisions and shows have been pretty shit.

zedinen

Developers across the PlayStation Studios network pushed repeatedly for Sony to bring their games to PC, according to God of War director Cory Barlog.

I think it was the collective of studios all over saying this is a really good idea. We should be looking into this,” he replied. “Eventually, I think it reached that tipping point. When we had sent so many suggestion box suggestions that they were like, ‘I’m tired of hearing all this. Fine, we’ll do this.’

“It’s a process,” Barlog added. “We’re still figuring it out as a company and as individual studios how to do this and what the process and strategy will be.”

PS Studios have said loud and clear that content devolepment expenses are growing at an alarming rate, still remember Hirai and House and what happened to Incognito, Zipper, Bigbig, Evolution, Liverpool Studio, Guerrilla Cambridge and Team Ico.

Sony had no choice, and made public its commitment to publishing its console games on the PC in FY20.

yDPJEzY.jpeg

Furthermore, PlayStation is selling a compelling product at a price below its market value, offering disappointed customers an easy way out.

8GqgT89.jpeg

Some people really deserve Ken Kutaragi, tbh

PS3 is probably too cheap

Work more hours to buy one

The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike

The PS3 concept is 4D

This is only Xbox 1.5 rather than a next-generation Xbox

PS3 losses surpass PS2 profits

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I guess the ultimate question is if you can afford to build a PC that’s more powerful than a PS5. Many people stick with consoles due to the value and simplicity they provide.

It was very affordable to build a PC that's way, WAY more powerful than current gen consoles. It was also extremely simplistic and quite fun to be honest.

So yeah, affordable means different things for different people

It was very affordable to build a PC that's way, WAY more powerful than current gen consoles. It was also extremely simplistic and quite fun to be honest.

So yeah, affordable means different things for different people

I mean the cheapest you can get a current gen console is 399$ if you didn’t know. 399$ is going to be a lot more affordable to many more people. That’s part of the appeal of consoles and as for simplicity it’s just plug and play for the most part.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah that consoles are more affordable and in general simpler than many PCs. It’s why someone might one to choose one over gaming on a PC.

Yes, many people do. What's here to discuss, again?

It's an enthusiast forum. Shouldn't we aim for the best, not the cheapest experience?

And yes, I know some people consider console to be a better experience because apparently PCs are stuck in 2008 and they are super complicated and you need to update drivers every 5 seconds :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Shmunter

It's an enthusiast forum. Shouldn't we aim for the best, not the cheapest experience?

And yes, I know some people consider console to be a better experience because apparently PCs are stuck in 2008 and they are super complicated and you need to update drivers every 5 seconds :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Time is the most expensive for many of us.

On console, you’re there for only 1 thing and 1 thing only. It’s it’s only purpose with nothing getting in the way.

Last edited:

You actually do the smart thing and set up a gaming plan that fits your budget. If you can afford a 10k gaming PC then by all means buy one. If you can’t you can still have a good experience at lower price points. It’s not like consoles are the equivalent to those tiger electronics gaming systems. They certainly have a spot in the market just like PC gaming does.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Define the best experience?

Plug in and play vs having different launchers and having to install and update drivers for any controller/headset.

Having something you can fit in a back pack and take with you to a friends house vs something that’s bulky and difficult to take anywhere.

Not having to worry about system requirements vs having to think about system requirements.

My son has a gaming PC, I play some PC games myself. Nothing makes me think it’s a better experience than a console.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Plug in and play vs having different launchers and having to install and update drivers for any controller/headset.

You can use one launcher to start all your games. I'm using Sony PS5 headset and Xbox Elite controller on PC. Both devices were plug and play. In what year are you stuck in?

Best is whatever is best for you! What's best for me? Smooth framerate, high resolutions, highest graphical settings. The best game catalogue. Using whatever hardware I want. Things like that.

My son has a gaming PC, I play some PC games myself. Nothing makes me think it’s a better experience than a console.

I've tried Watch_Dogs 2 on PS5 the other day. I definitely have a better experience on PC with that game. Ultra settings 4k, 60FPS, higher FOV. You have to live in denial not to see that.

Topher

Gold Member

Having something you can fit in a back pack and take with you to a friends house vs something that’s bulky and difficult to take anywhere.

Not having to worry about system requirements vs having to think about system requirements.

And what is this idea there is only one "experience" coming from? For me personally, I can point to several experiences that are "best" on each of the gaming platforms I own.

PC: Best graphical experience. Best backward compatibility. Huge number of games on Steam and other places. More accessories to choose from.

Xbox: Microsoft Rewards and Game Pass. Effectively, I have a huge library of games to choose from at any time and I don't pay a dime.

PS5: Sony exclusives where I don't have to wait on a port. Trophies > achievements. DualSense is pretty awesome and unique. Physical disk is still a thing.

That's me. Anyone is free to say these don't translate to "best experience" for them, but they cannot define "best experience" for me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You can use one launcher to start all your games. I'm using Sony PS5 headset and Xbox Elite controller on PC. Both devices were plug and play. In what year are you stuck in?
Really? Your PC didn’t install any drivers in the background?

Best is whatever is best for you!
Exactly, it’s just when you said;

‘Shouldn't we aim for the best, not the cheapest experience?’

It sounded as though you were making a blanket statement that PC is the best experience.

What's best for me? Smooth framerate, high resolutions, highest graphical settings. The best game catalogue. Using whatever hardware I want. Things like that.
Good.

I've tried Watch_Dogs 2 on PS5 the other day. I definitely have a better experience on PC with that game. Ultra settings 4k, 60FPS, higher FOV. You have to live in denial not to see that.
I’m not denying that you’ll get wider FOV and higher FPS and settings on PC.

Disclaimer: I’m not attacking PC or want to offend anyone that games on that platform. What I’m going to say is just my opinion and it’s ok if it doesn’t apply to anyone here.

I built a gaming PC a while ago so i know what the process is like. I also am familiar with managing multiple launchers and stores. Even had to learn about updates and custom patches to get some things to work the way I want them to.

When it comes to my current gaming environment im mostly sticking to two platforms. Retro emulation devices and my PS5. I also have a switch but I really don’t use it anymore. With that said I feel like games are good enough on my console that I don’t want to go back to gaming on a PC just yet. I love the plug and play experience that my PS5 offers me and I would hate to lose that just so I can build a slightly more powerful PC. I know PCs can go far beyond the PS5s capabilities but im not willing to pay the price just yet. I know im weird saying all this but it’s what I truly feel.

As long as I enjoy my games that’s all that really matters to me.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Since this thread turns into another console vs PC thread, my take is: so far a $400 PC no way offers what a $400 console offered me in terms of gaming experience. A $1000 PC? true, but only if less crashing and less technical issue (depend on the games).

Of course PC does have an edge in terms of Mods

Last edited:
Top Bottom