• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and Playstation must be sued for misleading PS5 buyer

i see this happening with everything before this gen end
Anything is possible, but I don't see it. Right now they are only putting games there once sales on consoles dry up and the price drops to around $15-$25. Often they also put the games on PS+ before putting them on PC too.

Then, they are able to re-launch the game at or near the original $60-$70.

I can't see them wanting to get out of that formula. GAAS games are a different story though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't disagree with with the OP I do however think it was foolish to put this type of thread on Gaf lol where 80% of the members are PC players who think any and every game should be on that platform. They are going to clown you forever on this bruh 🤣.
This is somewhat true. People preferred to never play bloodborne because it's not on pc.
Around 2017/2018, new ps4 slim was 200$. You could get it even cheaper used.
And I know it's expensive bloodborne box but if you drool over a game for years and prefer to miss out on a game only because it's on a filthy console.... idk man. It's weird and stubborn.
Now there is no reason to get ps4 in 2022. And these people would never buy a console anyway. Even if ps5 was cheaper. It's just a principle. Better miss out on gaming, rather than cheat on pc.

And just the be frank - Bloodborne really needs 4k60 ps5/pc port

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm excited to move to a single platform. Day 1 releases of Sony exclusives on PC will nullify the need for me to own a PS5.
I get where you are coming from and many will be the same. I think many people will still want the convenience of a well designed console and OS. Although as time goes by the lines may well be blurred, and I'm sure eventually consoles won't matter, not sure it will be the PC (in the traditional sense) that kills it though.

Ultimately Sony just want to make money and they'll go where the audience is.

Last edited:

realcool

"my games end up on PC..."

amber-my-dog-stepped-on-a-bee.gif

Neofire

This is somewhat true. People preferred to never play bloodborne because it's not on pc.
Around 2017/2018, new ps4 slim was 200$. You could get it even cheaper used.
And I know it's expensive bloodborne box but if you drool over a game for years and prefer to miss out on a game only because it's on a filthy console.... idk man. It's weird and stubborn.
Now there is no reason to get ps4 in 2022. And these people would never buy a console anyway. Even if ps5 was cheaper. It's just a principle. Better miss out on gaming, rather than cheat on pc.

And just the be frank - Bloodborne really needs 4k60 ps5/pc port
I agree with everything except that last part. Imo Playstation platform holders should always enjoy the benefits of investing in the ecosystem and that is any game coming to those platforms first.

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest, no PC player in their right mind is going to buy a ps5 when they have a high end PC and Sony is making a PC port. Which imo ultimately hurts Sony in the long run. A few sales from a PC port isn't going to keep a multi billion dollar company going just as MS how much money they've burned through on the Xbox 360 and Xbox one despite all the games they've released on the PC.

Neofire

I would venture to say PS is in the majority, followed by Switch, PC, then Xbox. 99% of the games discussed here are console games, so even most of the PC gamers here are console gamers really.
I don't know what part of Gaf you've been looking at then lol. This very thread disproves your claim lol they are clowning dude left and right.

Hmmm maybe your definition of a PC gamer is different then the normal lol 🤷🏿‍♂️

SantaC

I have not seen sonys new policy yet. So far they have cockblocked demons soul and bloodborne. If they cared about making money they would been on steam now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dreams sounds like a perfect game for PC, but many PC users develop stuff like that using actual game engines. Although i suppose Dreams would be good for people wanting to get into that kind of stuff.
True many users are not proefficient enough to make this inside Engine, so it would be great learning tool, while having fun. And some people could discover their new passion. Lot of reasons why to have it.

Jesus Christ, stop crying you absolute weapons.
PlayStation games on PC, doesn't devalue the PlayStation platform, because the two have two entirely different cost of entry, and target audiences.

Fucking hell man.

sendit

Jim Ryan will personally send you an email thanking you for allowing someone else (more committed to the PS ecosystem) to get the PS5 that would otherwise be going to you and for your continued support of Sony first party games.

You fell for Jimbo's master plan, he's confident that he'll get you back eventually with PS+ and his GaaS. :messenger_peace:

Too late. Already a PS+ subscriber. Adding PS+ functionality on the PC would be icing on the cake.

yurinka

You said the "same people" said they would leave the PS ecosystem if the games came to PC day and date. I don't see that statement from yurinka yurinka anywhere in this thread. Also do not see the reasoning you laid out that it will be "ok" because the game will have "lost its luster" or the game "loses merit". That was the point you made and it simply isn't reflected in that post at all.
Here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about above.

These people place emphasis on "time" to make it OK to be ported over to PC. But will get upset when the timeframe gets closer and closer to PS5 release? That makes no sense other than what I explained.

I've mentioned over and over and over again that the decision to do this was recent and that never did Sony know they was going to port over the PC version of their exclusives at the time they were released to the PS4 (i.e. Spiderman 1 for example). It won't take years to get a port out once their graphics engine has been extended to support the PC (which a lot of studios are actually excited about because they can push visuals further).
Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst mentioned several times that even if they were going to experiment with the amount of distance between PS5 release and PC release, they don't plan to release day one games on PC and that don't plan to release all their games on PC. In fact, a coupe of times when talking about games being ported to PC Jim Ryan mentioned "PS4 games" instead of "PS5 games" or "PS games".

They mentioned that will port old games to reach (meaning to monetize) more players who maybe never would buy a console. They also mentioned that one of their goals is to grow in emerging markets like China or South America, so to bet harder on PC and mobile would help them with this.

Jim Ryan also mentioned several times about how they have a 'virtuous circle' where they use the revenue from their successful games to reinvest it to grow and make even more games so reinvest their revenue to grow etc. Something that can be in these graphs (I did the one in the top right, and added the numbers of amount of games per platform in the top left one.

As you can see in the graphs, they are increasing a lot their investment PS games. You can also see in the graph that there is a "PS4+PS5" group but not a "PS5+PC" group. They don't plan to release any PS5+PC game during the current fiscal year or in the fiscal year that ends in 2026. In the current fiscal year they plan to release 2 PC pots, which now we know are Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (but selling the Remaster separatedly) and other than them PS Studios won't release anything else for PC until at least April 2023.

unknown.png

During the fiscal year that ends in March 2023 PS Studios plans to release 7 PC ports, which for them are very cheap projects with huge ROI, and 15 PS5 only games, which very expensive but are the main unique key selling point of their console and that later (some, not all) they plan to further monetize with movies, tv shows, PC ports and mobile games.

Both Jimbo and Hermen mentioned multiple times that their main focus and top platforms wll continue being PlayStation even if they will expand into other areas. They also mentioned that will grow in multiplayer/GaaS (but also in traditional games), and that like around half of their new games will be new IPs (but they also will increase the amount of sequels released). These things can also be seen in these recent Sony graphs.

The main revenue and profit source for them is PlayStation, and specifically its 3rd party games. So makes sense that since its main selling point are the exclusives, they pump the amount of exclusives. Jim Ryan said they plan that PS5 will have more exclusives than any console they ever released before. Yes, some years after being released on PS some of them will be released on PC too tp get some extra revenue. But the total revenue and profit in all platforms of their 1st party games are a tiny portion of their total revenue and profit, so to release all of them on PC and day one to get some extra sales wouldn't increase their revenue a lot, it woould be a tiny change. But instead it would keep their console, which is their main revenue and profit source without its main key selling point, which pretty likely would mean highly negatively affect their console sales hurting badly their whole revenue because most of their revenue and profit comes from there (3rd party sales, PS+, hardware sales, 1st party sales, accesories...).

To release all their games on PC and to do it day one would be a dumb business idea. Specially if don't have a PC PSN store with 3rd party games and PS+ generating enough money to allow them to kill their consoles.

It's a very different case of Microsoft. For Microsoft their console wasn't the main revenue and profit of the company, and isn't focused on selling hardware, for them Xbox was a division that was losing billions. MS main business is Windows, cloud/server and subscriptions. So for them is ok to kill their consoles and their hardware and console sales, and to move their gaming division (no longer called Xbox) to Windows and mobile and replace game sales for a subscription, specially if using their own cloud/server stuff. They don't even care about giving away their expensive games, the billions they may lose with gamings are peanuts compared to the profits they get from the other divisions.

For Sony instead is key to keep PS being super successful, and to keep focusing on game sales because inside gaming it's what gives them more revenue and profit. They also have game subscriptions, which are way more successful than the MS ones, but subscriptions are only a small part of their revenue and profit. It's something secondary, another extra revenue and profit source that gives them money to reinvest into more great -and very expensive- games.

So, there wasn't any recent decision of releasing day one -or almost- games on PC. It never existed and wouldn't make sense business wise. And the ideas of to start porting old games to PC or to increase their investment on multiplayer/GaaS aren't new: Shawn Layden menitoned they started to work on it before Jim Ryan became CEO. Same goes with the new PS+: they are implementing stuff now that they mentioned as long term goals back when PS Now was announced in 2013, and brought back stuff to PS+ that already was on PS+ back in 2010 when it was originally released.

Big companies work using long term roadmaps and strategies, they don't make huge strategy changes in the last minute.

Last edited:

Three

I get OP point. HFW was marketed as a PS5 exclusive, it wasn't ... Had I known that all PS5 exclusives are going to come to PC sooner or later I would have thought about getting a PC instead of a PS5.
When was HFW marketed as a PS5 only game? It was always PS4 and PS5 and it still is only PS4/5.

Last edited:

Korso

How American of you. Would you be happy with them starting to say "console exclusive" or dropping PC support all together? What's the end goal? Money? If the end goal is full 100% transparency, keep dreaming. They are a corporation after all.

sendit

Sold mine this week and now i'm ready in cash for a rtx 4080 at launch.
Replacing my 3090 with a 4090 this year.

However….a little too early for this. I’ll sell my PS5 when Day 1 exclusives are actually a thing. Not waiting 1-2 years to play a game.

Still waiting for Jim Ryan’s “we should absolutely expect more acquisitions”

Might have been a “we believe in generations” moment from this clown.

No i was getting PS5 for the idea of getting PS5 exclusive game like god of war, horizon, spiderman etc

It was their tagline remember? They made us think we can only get those game on playstation

If i know those game were coming to PC, i wont need to buy PS5 in the first place

This is not being stupid

This is about sony being disingenious and dishonest with their customer
It's uncool on Gaf to have any anger about Sony shifting focus towards PC, lots of PC gamers, buy you have a point. I also don't like it because it feels like ps5 owners (thr people who just bought sonys new $500 system) are not being treated as good as we used to. Why? Because Sonys bringing games to PC with superior versions but not also updating the ps5 version of those games with an optimization patch. If Sony did that and gave GOW or Days Gone or Ghost of Tsushima proper next gen patches along with the PC versions than I wouldn't be salty. But they're not they're just giving us a simple 60 fps update which seems good on its face but is actually bullshit considering the ps5 should be able to inherit at least some of the better settings the PC gets.

It's a win win for PC but it's a win-lose on console. Sony absolutely has been SHADY this gen and I don't see how anyone couldn't see that at least ...$70 games, lying about release windows (gow Ragnarok), lying about next gen exclusives that turned out to be cross gen (gt7).

There are always going to be biased jerks that will automatically redicule us for getting angry about this stuff but while they are being equally as biased as anyone of us who dares complain about this without being able to see through a longtime playstation buyers eyes.

I don’t necessarily think it’s just about PlayStation games going to PC, but about the way Sony is handling them by not being upfront about exclusivity. Sony says these games are exclusive to PlayStation and then it ends up somewhere else later, so technically it’s a timed exclusive or not exclusive to the console as claimed. Microsoft has always seemed more upfront and transparent about their multiplatform strategy.

People keep saying, it’s only old games, but those old PlayStation games will become newer games sooner than you think. Sony is still testing the waters and experimenting. I still think day one PlayStation PC games especially live service are happening despite what people are claiming.

Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst mentioned several times that even if they were going to experiment with the amount of distance between PS5 release and PC release, they don't plan to release day one games on PC and that don't plan to release all their games on PC. In fact, a coupe of times when talking about games being ported to PC Jim Ryan mentioned "PS4 games" instead of "PS5 games" or "PS games".

They mentioned that will port old games to reach (meaning to monetize) more players who maybe never would buy a console. They also mentioned that one of their goals is to grow in emerging markets like China or South America, so to bet harder on PC and mobile would help them with this.

Jim Ryan also mentioned several times about how they have a 'virtuous circle' where they use the revenue from their successful games to reinvest it to grow and make even more games so reinvest their revenue to grow etc. Something that can be in these graphs (I did the one in the top right, and added the numbers of amount of games per platform in the top left one.

As you can see in the graphs, they are increasing a lot their investment PS games. You can also see in the graph that there is a "PS4+PS5" group but not a "PS5+PC" group. They don't plan to release any PS5+PC game during the current fiscal year or in the fiscal year that ends in 2026. In the current fiscal year they plan to release 2 PC pots, which now we know are Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection and Miles Morales Ultimate Edition (but selling the Remaster separatedly) and other than them PS Studios won't release anything else for PC until at least April 2023.

unknown.png

During the fiscal year that ends in March 2023 PS Studios plans to release 7 PC ports, which for them are very cheap projects with huge ROI, and 15 PS5 only games, which very expensive but are the main unique key selling point of their console and that later (some, not all) they plan to further monetize with movies, tv shows, PC ports and mobile games.

Both Jimbo and Hermen mentioned multiple times that their main focus and top platforms wll continue being PlayStation even if they will expand into other areas. They also mentioned that will grow in multiplayer/GaaS (but also in traditional games), and that like around half of their new games will be new IPs (but they also will increase the amount of sequels released). These things can also be seen in these recent Sony graphs.

The main revenue and profit source for them is PlayStation, and specifically its 3rd party games. So makes sense that since its main selling point are the exclusives, they pump the amount of exclusives. Jim Ryan said they plan that PS5 will have more exclusives than any console they ever released before. Yes, some years after being released on PS some of them will be released on PC too tp get some extra revenue. But the total revenue and profit in all platforms of their 1st party games are a tiny portion of their total revenue and profit, so to release all of them on PC and day one to get some extra sales wouldn't increase their revenue a lot, it woould be a tiny change. But instead it would keep their console, which is their main revenue and profit source without its main key selling point, which pretty likely would mean highly negatively affect their console sales hurting badly their whole revenue because most of their revenue and profit comes from there (3rd party sales, PS+, hardware sales, 1st party sales, accesories...).

To release all their games on PC and to do it day one would be a dumb business idea. Specially if don't have a PC PSN store with 3rd party games and PS+ generating enough money to allow them to kill their consoles.

It's a very different case of Microsoft. For Microsoft their console wasn't the main revenue and profit of the company, and isn't focused on selling hardware, for them Xbox was a division that was losing billions. MS main business is Windows, cloud/server and subscriptions. So for them is ok to kill their consoles and their hardware and console sales, and to move their gaming division (no longer called Xbox) to Windows and mobile and replace game sales for a subscription, specially if using their own cloud/server stuff. They don't even care about giving away their expensive games, the billions they may lose with gamings are peanuts compared to the profits they get from the other divisions.

For Sony instead is key to keep PS being super successful, and to keep focusing on game sales because inside gaming it's what gives them more revenue and profit. They also have game subscriptions, which are way more successful than the MS ones, but subscriptions are only a small part of their revenue and profit. It's something secondary, another extra revenue and profit source that gives them money to reinvest into more great -and very expensive- games.

So, there wasn't any recent decision of releasing day one -or almost- games on PC. It never existed and wouldn't make sense business wise. And the ideas of to start porting old games to PC or to increase their investment on multiplayer/GaaS aren't new: Shawn Layden menitoned they started to work on it before Jim Ryan became CEO. Same goes with the new PS+: they are implementing stuff now that they mentioned as long term goals back when PS Now was announced in 2013, and brought back stuff to PS+ that already was on PS+ back in 2010 when it was originally released.

Big companies work using long term roadmaps and strategies, they don't make huge strategy changes in the last minute.
That's uh... really dedicated I suppose. Can't say I agree with any of it, or that it's accurate... or that it's based on reality.

But hey, you made graphs so kudos for that.

OZ9000

Banned
Stay tune for PS State of Play? More like stay tune for PC game news

UKCPcZQ.jpg

What happened to “Only on Playstation”? Why would they even go with that tagline in the first place? Exclusives do not matter?! Or is that not true?

Why not port them to Xbox? Because it’s the competition. They assume PC isn’t, or won’t be in x number of years.

Sony trained us over x number of years to believe exclusives do matter. It was really only 1 year ago that “Only on Playstation” was the tagline they were running with. Now we are to forget about it and go along with what they want to promote next. Just because I guess.

I’m going to say something most won’t like. But I respect Xbox’s transparency way more than Sony’s at this point.

For third party games, like Forspoken for example. Sony loves to be transparent. They’ll put fine print at the bottom “limited exclusive for x months”.

But for their own first party games which we now know are also timed exclusives, there is no such disclaimer. It’s disingenuous and they’re taking us for a fucking ride.

Remember when we all thought HFW was a PS5 only game? I do. They weren’t transparent about that either.

^
“IT IS TIME TO GIVE THE PLAYSTATION COMMUNITY SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHING DIFFERENT, THAT CAN REALLY ONLY BE ENJOYED ON PS5.”

Jim Ryan

images
I like that gif, now show me what you are capable of. You cookie cutter mother fucker, you're just like the rest of these dudes safe moist as dudes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's uncool on Gaf to have any anger about Sony shifting focus towards PC, lots of PC gamers, buy you have a point. I also don't like it because it feels like ps5 owners (thr people who just bought sonys new $500 system) are not being treated as good as we used to. Why? Because Sonys bringing games to PC with superior versions but not also updating the ps5 version of those games with an optimization patch. If Sony did that and gave GOW or Days Gone or Ghost of Tsushima proper next gen patches along with the PC versions than I wouldn't be salty. But they're not they're just giving us a simple 60 fps update which seems good on its face but is actually bullshit considering the ps5 should be able to inherit at least some of the better settings the PC gets.

It's a win win for PC but it's a win-lose on console. Sony absolutely has been SHADY this gen and I don't see how anyone couldn't see that at least ...$70 games, lying about release windows (gow Ragnarok), lying about next gen exclusives that turned out to be cross gen (gt7).

There are always going to be biased jerks that will automatically redicule us for getting angry about this stuff but while they are being equally as biased as anyone of us who dares complain about this without being able to see through a longtime playstation buyers eyes.
70% of the horizon sales were the $70 ps5 version that Jim Ryan refused to drop to $60 even after people forced him to offer a free upgrade. If that’s not shady i don’t know what is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

unknown.png

We'll all have to wait and see how accurate Ryan's and Hurst's statement is about no day one PC games with 12 GAAS games in development.

And whether they are all PS4 oldies or not.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily think it’s just about PlayStation games going to PC, but about the way Sony is handling them by not being upfront about exclusivity. Sony says these games are exclusive to PlayStation and then it ends up somewhere else later, so technically it’s a timed exclusive or not exclusive to the console as claimed. Microsoft has always seemed more upfront and transparent about their multiplatform strategy.

People keep saying, it’s only old games, but those old PlayStation games will become newer games sooner than you think. Sony is still testing the waters and experimenting. I still think day one PlayStation PC games especially live service are happening despite what people are claiming.
People in denial keep saying it only old games, not Sony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom