• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan and Playstation must be sued for misleading PS5 buyer

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s just old games. I will continue playing them on ps5 as long as there are no big disadvantages. Console still got good reasons to exist.
I just bought miles morales and spider man remaster on ps5 but that’s ok.

I just hope that console stays console and they won’t lose focus. I don’t want console games to suffer or become more similar to pc games which is almost happening with all these settings.

Now give me 4k60 bloodborne on pc !!!!
It’s not just old games. Returnal is getting a PC port and it came out last year. And not just that, it is getting ray tracing support while this premium $500 ray tracing console Sony sold me didn’t have a ray tracing mode for this first party game i paid $70 for.

And their console games ARE suffering. Horizon FW has had 12 patches in 3 months with 50 or so bug fixes in each patch. This after being delayed by six months. Last year, GG spent 6 full months fixing the PC version of horizon zero Dawn instead of focusing on releasing forbidden West on time bug free with a decent performance mode on day one. Instead, everyone of the ps5 owners who paid $70 for this game had to beat it on a shitty looking performance mode which wasn’t fixed for 3 months.

Last edited:

Filben

Technically, yes. But... so what? It's not like you're loosing out on something, like when companies promise you something and don't deliver; E3 trailers showing visuals you'll never gonna get etc.

This here? Technically, yes, not very honest. Practically? Nothing changed. I thought the argument for consoles was, beside exclusives, the convenience, plug in and play factor and the price. You still have that. And regarding exclusives, you still have them day one at least and don't have to wait years for that game to come.

There's still things on the plus side regarding consoles. And if there's now too little for you personal preferences, you can always switch to another platform. If you don't care about other platforms, nothing changes for you.

It's not like Sony releases former console exclusives now on PC only.

And at this point now, you can never say never regarding "only on PlayStation". They will continue to release future games on PC. Now that you know that you can give zero fucks about Sony's statements.

Ultimately it seems some people realise now that corporations aren't your friends no matter how many years and how much money you invested in their brands and systems. They want your money and do everything to get that.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s not just old games. Returnal is getting a PC port and it came out last year. And not just that, it is getting ray tracing support while this premium $500 ray tracing console Sony sold me didn’t have a ray mode for god first party game i paid $70 for.

And their console games ARE suffering. Horizon FW has had 12 patches in 3 months with 50 or so bug fixes in each patch. This after being delayed by six months. Last year, GG spent 6 full months fixing the PC version of horizon zero Dawn instead of focusing on releasing forbidden West on time bug free with a decent performance mode on day one. Instead, everyone of the ps5 owners who paid $70 for this game had to beat it on a shitty looking performance mode which wasn’t fixed for 3 months.
We will see how the ray tracing mode will look. It’s probably just reflections.
The game on ps5 looks amazing and have no loading times.

Anyway.
I agree ps5 games are suffering because of less focus on them. We have tons of patches and too many graphical modes. I would much prefer less or no modes but better optimisation

On Demand

Banned
look at these PC port beggars in here. Missing the point on purpose.

Anyway....I agree with you OP. Sony flip flopped and lied to consumers since the PS5 launch.

Sony wants to have their cake and eat it with these PC ports and it’s going to backfire on them. MS can get away with it because they don’t sell a lot of hardware and software like Sony does. So they lose nothing. They own the Windows PC platform too so it makes sense for them and it’s 100% profits. Sony only gets a less than half the money with their games on PC. Which barely sells anything at that.

When they go same day releases PlayStation is going to lose so much hardware sales. Those gaas games on PC also means less ps plus subscription on PlayStation since online games are free on PC.

What was the point of having Mark Cerny design a high end SSD that’s not going to be taken advantage of because first party developers now have to worry about PC versions? I bet it’s going make Sony game take a hit on quality too. No longer will you see that first party polish complete games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I dont understand why a PS fan would be angry that games from Playstation can be played on other platforms which in turn makes more money for the Playstation brand that they champion for so hard?

What am I missing?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Anybody who thought they were not gonna add more games after they did the first batch is either naive or stupid. Sony now has a pattern of releasing their games on pc and it will happen more and more. Sony are a company and company’s like money. Why would a company cut off a revenue stream? Pc gamers are less likely to go buy an Xbox or ps5 because they have a pc.

look at these PC port beggars in here. Missing the point on purpose.

Anyway....I agree with you OP. Sony flip flopped and lied to consumers since the PS5 launch.

Sony wants to have their cake and eat it with these PC ports and it’s going to backfire on them. MS can get away with it because they don’t sell a lot of hardware and software like Sony does. So they lose nothing. They own the Windows PC platform too so it makes sense for them and it’s 100% profits. Sony only gets a less than half the money with their games on PC. Which barely sells anything at that.

When they go same day releases PlayStation is going to lose so much hardware sales. Those gaas games on PC also means less ps plus subscription on PlayStation since online games are free on PC.

What was the point of having Mark Cerny design a high end SSD that’s not going to be taken advantage of because first party developers now have to worry about PC versions? I bet it’s going make Sony game take a hit on quality too. No longer will you see that first party polish complete games.

What did sony lie about?

Fuz

Banned
I mean, as a PC player I'm happy like this. But he's not wrong. That's not what they promised.

Spiderman has been exclusive for 4 years at this point. It's not like they're dropping games day and date on PC. If you want all games day 1, you're still going to need a PS5. If you can wait 2-4 years, don't get one.
That's not what they said, though.

SlimySnake

Even if your a ultra hardcore sony fanboy, it still doesn't make sense to be mad about this because it means sony makes more money and sell even more copies of their ips. Don't you want sony ip to sell even more? PC ports benefit sony. It doesn't harm them. Why else do you think sony are doing it?
Why should i care if Sony and Jim ryan make more money? I will never understand this mindset. I care about games they produce, not how much money they produce. I’m not a shareholder. I’ma consumer.

Is Sony making more money resulting in more next Gen Sony games? No. Literally zero next Gen games from Sony this year.

You would think that releasing horizon and GoW on PC would allow Sony to take a hit in sales if they made horizon 2 and gow 2 next Gen only on a new console but it didn’t do that. They still made it last gen. So did the money from pc ports help ps5 owners get a better experience? Nope.

Is Sony making more money from PC ports resulting in more games for Sony fans of narrative driven games? No. They are literally focused on making multiplatform gaas games now announcing 12 gaas games in the next three years. They said they have 25 games in development so half of these are gaas. That’s half. I’m sorry but gaas is not why I’m a Sony fan.

So no. Sony making more money hasn’t really worked in my favor so far.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I dont understand why a PS fan would be angry that games from Playstation can be played on other platforms which in turn makes more money for the Playstation brand that they champion for so hard?

What am I missing?
It's just a tiny group of very loud old children crying over the fact that other people get to play with their toys.
They'll twist the narrative in various form to justify their tantrums but ultimately they're just that: Corporate Simps who built their entire personality around a particular hobby and a specific company. Sad.

Fuck you too Sony for making Spider-Man remastered available separately on PC while PS5 owners need to pay $70 to access the game.
That one I can get behind. Spiderman Remastered on PS5 should be available as a standalone purchase.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Do you have the link for the claim that the whole Guerilla Games team spent 6 months fixing the PC version? I did quick search, but all I found were articles that said it finally works well 6 months after launch.

Wouldn’t having a PS4 version of Forbidden West take much more effort and divert more resources than tweaking a PC version of HZD?

Last edited:
Why should i care if Sony and Jim ryan make more money? I will never understand this mindset. I care about games they produce, not how much money they produce. I’m not a shareholder. I’ma consumer.

Is Sony making more money resulting in more next Gen Sony games? No. Literally zero next Gen games from Sony this year.

You would think that releasing horizon and GoW on PC would allow Sony to take a hit in sales if they made horizon 2 and gow 2 next Gen only on a new console but it didn’t do that. They still made it last gen. So did the money from pc ports help ps5 owners get a better experience? Nope.

Is Sony making more money from PC ports resulting in more games for Sony fans of narrative driven games? No. They are literally focused on making multiplatform gaas games now announcing 12 gaas games in the next three years. They said they have 25 games in development so half of these are gaas. That’s half. I’m sorry but gaas is not why I’m a Sony fan.

So no. Sony making more money hasn’t really worked in my favor so far.

Use your fucking brains man. There's not a PS5 in sight and you want sony to release PS5 only games that will struggle to sell? Sony don't give a shit about your personal feelings or what works in your favour. They only care what works for them. Even then, they have still released some PS5 only titles with even more to come in 2023. So relax. You'll get what you want. Think about it. How stupid would it be of Sony to release god of war ragnarok, which is a system seller but they have no systems to sell?

Last edited:
I don't think they're going to lose hardware sales, see this is the thing that Sony realized finally after doing research, that Forum shouters and twitter news posters / opinionated people do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Mass consumption, is still mass consumption, and the PS5 is a highly sought out product that already sold 20 million in two years where there was a global pandemic and a wage depression. PC users and Console users do not take away from each other in terms of sales. You can buy a 500 USD PS5 and play your games on the console, but a PC is a far bigger investment in terms of money and effort (unless you get it pre-built and shipped to you).

"When they go same day releases PlayStation is going to lose so much hardware sales. Those gaas games on PC also means less ps plus subscription on PlayStation since online games are free on PC." <-- They'll still be spending money within PlayStation's ecosystem when they buy their DLCs or premium currencies. Look at Sea of Thieves, you can crossplay with PC from Windows store and PC players. Doing a quick wiki search also - there are roughly a 100 million PS4s in circulation, and the total number of paying PS Plus people are : 47.4Million. That means half of the users base is either not a consistent payer or not paying for it, and just doesn't care about multiplayer games. They also lost 0.2 users as last financial it was 47.6 according to the stats.

Anyway....I agree with you OP. Sony flip flopped and lied to consumers since the PS5 launch. <--- Dying on this hill with regards to PC ports is weird because Sony actually went back on their word of: Only on PS5 on a lot of things for their exclusives, only to release it on PS4. I feel that's a bigger slight in my eyes as a lot of games will be held back by the last generation (and not by a PC port where they add stuff to it). I'm disappointed for instances that Modern Warfare 2 ( 2022) is coming out for last gen cause it can look pretty as it wants to be, it will still be held back on the campaign part.

Horizon FW has had 12 patches in 3 months with 50 or so bug fixes in each patch <- Patching a pre-existing game does not require the full development pool of 200 people of a past game, same goes for a newly released game, they're probably working on DLC already for the new game, or working on the final game of the trilogy. At least you're getting patches, Elden Ring still isn't fixed on PC lol

On Demand

Banned
Come on chicken. You said it, now show some proof. Dont be a bitch.

Don’t play dumb. You know exactly what we are talking about and you know exactly the decisions Sony are making this generation. Even right before launch!

I’ve never seen a company change course so fast in the span of 2 years into a generation.

Go read lying Jim Ryan interviews back in 2020. Him and Herman Hulst are snake oil salesmen. Every interview they do they tell more lies and backtrack on earlier statements thinking nobody will notice.

Last edited:
Don’t play dumb. You know exactly what we are talking about and you know exactly the decisions Sony are making this generation. Even right before launch!

I’ve never seen a company change course so fast in the span of 2 years into a generation.

Go read lying Jim Ryan interviews back in 2020. Him and Herman Hulst are snake oil salesmen. Every interview they do they tell more lies and backtrack on earlier statements thinking nobody will notice.

the only thing i can think of that was a lie was GT7 being a current gen exclusive. outside of that i cant think of anything that was a blatant lie. what else was there?

Banjo64

cumsessed
MS can get away with it because they don’t sell a lot of hardware and software like Sony does. So they lose nothing.

I implore you to get some fresh air.

SlimySnake

Use your fucking brains man. There's not a PS5 in sight and you want sony to release PS5 only games that will struggle to sell? Sony don't give a shit about your personal feelings or what works in your favour. They only care what works for them. Even then, they have still released some PS5 only titles with even more to come in 2023. So relax. You'll get what you want. Think about it. How stupid would it be of Sony to release god of war ragnarok, which is a system seller but they have no systems to sell?
Edit: nvm. Have a good day.

Last edited:
imagine if sony announce day and date 1st party games on PC. mental health wards will be over run with new patients.

Scared Horror GIF

yamaci17

I don't think they're going to lose hardware sales, see this is the thing that Sony realized finally after doing research, that Forum shouters and twitter news posters / opinionated people do not matter in the grand scheme of things. Mass consumption, is still mass consumption, and the PS5 is a highly sought out product that already sold 20 million in two years where there was a global pandemic and a wage depression. PC users and Console users do not take away from each other in terms of sales. You can buy a 500 USD PS5 and play your games on the console, but a PC is a far bigger investment in terms of money and effort (unless you get it pre-built and shipped to you).

"When they go same day releases PlayStation is going to lose so much hardware sales. Those gaas games on PC also means less ps plus subscription on PlayStation since online games are free on PC." <-- They'll still be spending money within PlayStation's ecosystem when they buy their DLCs or premium currencies. Look at Sea of Thieves, you can crossplay with PC from Windows store and PC players. Doing a quick wiki search also - there are roughly a 100 million PS4s in circulation, and the total number of paying PS Plus people are : 47.4Million. That means half of the users base is either not a consistent payer or not paying for it, and just doesn't care about multiplayer games. They also lost 0.2 users as last financial it was 47.6 according to the stats.

Anyway....I agree with you OP. Sony flip flopped and lied to consumers since the PS5 launch. <--- Dying on this hill with regards to PC ports is weird because Sony actually went back on their word of: Only on PS5 on a lot of things for their exclusives, only to release it on PS4. I feel that's a bigger slight in my eyes as a lot of games will be held back by the last generation (and not by a PC port where they add stuff to it). I'm disappointed for instances that Modern Warfare 2 ( 2022) is coming out for last gen cause it can look pretty as it wants to be, it will still be held back on the campaign part.

Horizon FW has had 12 patches in 3 months with 50 or so bug fixes in each patch <- Patching a pre-existing game does not require the full development pool of 200 people of a past game, same goes for a newly released game, they're probably working on DLC already for the new game, or working on the final game of the trilogy. At least you're getting patches, Elden Ring still isn't fixed on PC lol
this is the correct approach

ps exclusives only sway console users towards playstation opposed to the xbox. that's it. xbox only sells less units because it is the lesser console with lesser products. if their products were on par with playstation, you would see more balanced results, like it happened with x360/ps3 era

if the theory that people only got consoles for exclusives games were true, there would be no xbox users. it just so happens to be that ps (and pc) exclusives are better products than xbox, but xbox also has its original products (halo series, forza series etc. etc.). i mean, i happen to have 4 friends that bought xbox for horza alone. they simply want to game on console, and that's understandable. forzax 4/5 existing on PC had no meaning for them, they only wanted to play forza without building a PC and stuff. thats %1100 fine

anyone who is get hurt by PS/Xbox porting games to PC are the ones who CHOSE the console for WRONG reasons. you choose the console for more ease of use (note, i'm not saying PC is not easy to use, PC is also can be easy if you don't make things complex for yourself. consoles simply have a higher degree of ease of use, which indeed results as people choosing xbox over PC despite all games being on PC day one)

big earners, most sold console games are cod/fifa etc. if all of those were games on PC day one, PS4 would have the same exact success over Xbox and same exact success in terms of unit sold. People will always buy consoles, these machines are built for specific purposes that happens to encapsulate a huge and wide gaming community which will never ever touch a PC, regardless if the games are here can look better or enhanced or anything. its an irrevelant deciding factor for most of them

as it has been said, the OP and like minded mindsets are a vocal minority. a twisted vocal minority, that is.

Last edited:
Holy shit Airbus Jr Airbus Jr . That's a really unhealthy obsession. You lose absolutely nothing as a Sony fan, by them allowing games to be played on other hardware besides PlayStation. Did you get upset when Sony put some of their games on phone too?

Just imagine if Sony could rake in more money, to develop more games, and you could even have a bunch more people to openly talk about games with on GAF. I see absolutely nothing wrong or negative, as to why some of you guys have such negative reactions to games being more widely available to the public. Having choices is a good thing... Right?

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
They didn't mislead anything I saw this coming in 2017 which is why I sold my PS4 and completely moved on. The end of truly exclusive content as well as the shift from Japanese centric content as a brand. I knew what PS5 was gonna be about years ago and I was right.

Look at the difference between how many PS3 games went to PC vs how many PS4 games did. PC/Playstation used to be two different worlds (with a few exceptions) this shift started to happen in the early to mid 2010s if it took someone to just now go "hey whats going on here" thats on you for supporting playstation while it was clearly leaning towards this future for quite some time. Sick of people acting like this current reality came out of nowhere when it really didn't.

Perhaps if you used your brain to enhance your reading comprehension you would understand the point i was trying to make. I have never seen someone completely misunderstood a post before.

Let me try this again. You said Sony makes more money. I pointed out I’m not a shareholder so this doesn’t affect me. Its called pointing a flaw in your argument. Your argument is a reply to a guy pointing out his issues with Sony as a consumer, not as a shareholder. We are gamers and care about games. Why the fuck should i care if Sony makes less money from gow?

Your failed to answer this basic premise and resorted to insulting me. That’s fine. Par for the course from online fanboys who find themselves cornered in an argument. What’s sad is that you think defending Sony’s monetary interests is something anyone should care about on a forum called gaming age forum. What’s sad is that we are in the 8th generation of consoles that have always had next Gen only games at launch, expensive AAA games in the first 2 years, expensive AAA sequels in the first two years for literally decades.

The only difference this time is that this practice is being defended by Sony fanboys who were jumping down Phil’s throat just a couple of years ago when he said the first two years of Xbox will be cross Gen only. It’s a sad sorry state of affairs when i see people who i once respected resort to insults and blind fanboyism just to defend a company.

you ever wonder why people "insult" you all the time? because your always bitching and moaning man! if it isnt one thing its another. all the fucking time. go to resetera. you'll fit in nicely there.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The entitled whining is ridiculous. The only people who should be miffed are PC gamers who were 'mislead' into thinking they needed to blow 500 bucks plus tax and additional controller fee to play Sony games instead of waiting 2 years for the PC port.

SlimySnake

you ever wonder why people "insult" you all the time? because your always bitching and moaning man! if it isnt one thing its another. all the fucking time. go to resetera. you'll fit in nicely there.
I edited my post. Not sure how you managed to quote it. I took back everything i said. Have a nice day.

yamaci17

Why do you care? Do you get more enjoyment out of a game if it’s exclusive?
some people, yes
i distinctly know 2 specific PS users who praised horizon zero dawn all the time. once it ported to PC, I caught them rendhanded, dowplaying and criticising the game, saying it was the weakest link anyways so it didn't matter if it was on PC. i'm sure similar people will say similar things once the forbidden west is on PC. up until gow/uc4 announcments, some of them think they'd only bring ps exclusives that they deemed "lesser".

i mean no offense to ps userbase btw. those are just people with twisted mindsets, a vocal minority.

personally i want last guardian on PC, it was a torture playing it on PS4

Last edited:
The ports are made by Nixxes and external studios. Their fist party studios are prioritizing the PS5. By the time PS5 only titles get ported to PC, the "super fast I/O" will be standard and old news.
That's the ports of old games that were developed to run on PS4 slow HDD. Easy to port.

I am talking about the likes of: God of War, Horizon that are still developped to run on PS4 and the future Naughty dog games. We know Horizon has being developed to run on PS4 and PS5. Are they creatively using the fast I/O like in Ratchet? Where is the RT at 60fps? Why do you think the 60fps (without RT) mode at launch was awful? Because of cross-gen PS4 development.

Now we'll still get the same compromises than PS4 cross-gen with PC ports. Basically at some point the Playstation will be a PC Box, like an Xbox. Why bother developing exotic hardware if you need to port all the games on PC?

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
If you have a silent PC in the living room, and don’t mind waiting up to 3 years to play the games, and have no interest in PSVR2… Then sure, I can see the point why you don’t think you need the PS5.

I’m playing on both platforms because I don’t like waiting, don’t have a silent PC in the living room, and is interested in PSVR2 for the AAA push even though cabled VR is annoying.
This.

If you can afford a top end GPU, you can probably afford both. And my PC is staying in my office where I work, I'm not wheeling it into my lounge to game on QLED lol. So why wait a couple of years for just some games.

yamaci17

That's the ports of old games that were developed to run on PS4 slow HDD. Easy to port.

I am talking about the likes of: God of War, Horizon that are still developped to run on PS4 and the future Naughty dog games. We know Horizon has being developed to run on PS4 and PS5. Are they creatively using the fast I/O like in Ratchet? Where is the RT at 60fps? Why do you think the 60fps (without RT) mode at launch was awful? Because of cross-gen PS4 development.

Now we'll still get the same compromises than PS4 cross-gen with PC ports. Basically at some point the Playstation will be a PC Box, like an Xbox. Why bother developing exotic hardware if you need to port all the games on PC?
xbox should not exist, then? are people who choose xbox over a PC dumb, then? they don'T know any better?_

i mean bravo, i'm a fully fledged pc person but you managed to make me defend consoles. that's quite a feat

Last edited:
If you play at realease and never again this doesn't affect you becausw you can go in threads a few years later and be like "oh THAT game? It's cool you plebs can enjoy this game I finished YEARS ago.

If you do care about replaying games, how are you planning to play past psn only games like fat princess or Tokyo jungle once Sony pulls the plug on PS3 psn? The hardware isn't great and it's pretty big too.

Sue them then.

I think it's good for them that they're porting things to PC, it's just not an option for me seeing gaming properly on a PC is more expensive than gaming on a PS5.

Demon Souls, Gran Turismo 7 and others are still exclusive, and most games will still come out first on PS5.

Last edited:

Braag

I mean, no one's stopping you from suing them. If you do it at least get back at us on how it went.

I don’t get it, even though all these exclusives you quoted are on PC. I will still only play on PS5 because that is the only platform I support. Idgaf about pc or xbox. I will buy the PS5 pro and the next PS6 as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom