• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden - Warner Bros is interested in selling NetherRealm and TT Games

dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

SSfox

If this happens, it will be hard/almost impossible for them to find a dev that can make MK and Injustice games as great as NRS.

ksdixon

With Sony basically owning EVO, they would be absolutely stupid not to get NRS.

NRS, MK, DC, and Sony have the Marvel hookup through Spider-Man. You can do some things by cross pollinating those IP's. Though, looking at Sea Of Theives Pirates of the Carribean DLC, MS may have their own route to Marvel through Disney.

SCB3

Its not Wednesday yet, so not for Xbox

NRS and MK exclusive on Xbox? Would be interesting for EVO to say the least

Kokoloko85

When have we had companies buying studios and publishers like this before? Where they attain multi platform ip’s for themselves?

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I assume NR owns Mortal Kombat in full. If they could license out DC characters still, that would be great. If they had a suitor with some cash, they could have some license bought for them, like Marvel.

Honestly, I think NR was onto something with all these horror characters and 80's action heroes. I would love a purely focused slasher/killer game, such a great full roster they could make.

If I was Microsoft I'd push hard for NR, even TT has a long standing history. Once again, are they stuck doing Lego forever?

Free #Ed Boon

When they were shopping them around before (this paperwork could be from that time btw) Mortal Kombat wasn't going to be included with the purchase of the studio, you'd basically be buying a studio that has made nothing but fighting games throughout it's entire existence but you wouldn't get Mortal Kombat or Injustice included, there was talk of long term licensing or something back then but it would be a temporary thing. If they could find a way to include Mortal Kombat I think Sony would be a better fit than MS, they would not only be able to make the games but could also do more with the series outside of gaming through their entertainment divisions. I know some will say "MS should get them and have them do a new KI" but KI isn't really that popular. NRS brings in more money for WB games than any of their other studios, MK11 is still in the PS and xbox top 10's in sales every month so unless they are getting out of gaming completely I don't know why NRS would be the one they wanted to sell.

Last edited:
I assume NR owns Mortal Kombat in full. If they could license out DC characters still, that would be great. If they had a suitor with some cash, they could have some license bought for them, like Marvel.

Honestly, I think NR was onto something with all these horror characters and 80's action heroes. I would love a purely focused slasher/killer game, such a great full roster they could make.

If I was Microsoft I'd push hard for NR, even TT has a long standing history. Once again, are they stuck doing Lego forever?

Free #Ed Boon
No NRS doesn't own MK unfortunately WB owns the IP.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Microsoft need someone to make the next Killer Instinct and there’s literally no one better in the industry.

I guess now we’ll see how organic Sony’s growth is, and how they can outbid xbox since Xbox don’t have Microsoft’s money……

Would be a great pickup for anyone, but hopefully if they sell it’s to Microsoft because at least then PC is 100% guaranteed to get every single one of their games, unlike if Sony were to buy them.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TT's mostly worthless. Its been haemorrhaging staff and paralyzed by bad management for the last few years. Lot of talented people working there still,. but without ownership of the IP what's on offer is a studio that's basically been making the same game for ages using the same aging bespoke tech.

They have some good assets like Centroid, but yeah... can well see them getting broken up.

Quasicat

My lego games :messenger_loudly_crying:
This is what I’m concerned about, but I would imagine that LEGO would have it written in their licensing agreement to take control of TT if they went up for sale. My kids got into LEGO as much as they did because of playing the games with me when they were younger. I would imagine they have statistics that show that the cost of making the games and how it helps in their marketing.

Raekwon26

Microsoft need someone to make the next Killer Instinct and there’s literally no one better in the industry.

I guess now we’ll see how organic Sony’s growth is, and how they can outbid xbox since Xbox don’t have Microsoft’s money……

Would be a great pickup for anyone, but hopefully if they sell it’s to Microsoft because at least then PC is 100% guaranteed to get every single one of their games, unlike if Sony were to buy them.

Not organic or ethical enough for a Sony purchase. I see them being scooped up by MS.

The return of the victims...........

Genx3

Neither studio would bring their best known IP with them though?
Why wouldn't Nether Realm include Mortal Kombat?
That was literally their IP.
It's not like WB created MK.
MK was created by Midway in turn Nether Realm.

Genx3

Sony might want them to keep MK under their tournaments and MS might want them to develop Killer Instinct.

I could see either buying them to be honest.

How many 1st party games have Sony released on PC?

I'll give you a hint: Not many...

You do know they just started this recently.

And weren't you one of the ones that interpreted Herman Hults comment to mean all games are coming to PC?

Maybe I'm mistaken with you but I've seen people claim that.

Edit: This is what I was making a reference to btw.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Why wouldn't Nether Realm include Mortal Kombat?
That was literally their IP.
It's not like WB created MK.
MK was created by Midway in turn Nether Realm.
I guess WB could include it but they bought all the midway IP including MK so they own it, NRS was formed out of that.

NRS would cost more than it's worth to buy just to start KI up again, it's not that popular of a franchise and to make them totally change what they are good at to fit KI would be a huge mistake. The big sticking point is the Mortal Kombat IP, I think to buy NRS you'd almost have to require that the IP comes along with it and that you work out some kind of deal with WB when it comes to animated movies or feature films. Sony has an entertainment division so they could work with WB on those things if need be but if the studio isn't being bought to make Mortal Kombat and Injustice games what's the point?

Mr Moose

I think its too late for Microsoft to leap past PS4.

I hate people that constantly post this crap everywhere. Is there a k-pop company paying kids to post this everywhere?

What does even even mean, WB owns NRS. NRS can’t own anything. When WB sold Playdemic, they sold Golf Clash with it.
The song is called TT... You bully :messenger_crying:

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft definitely needs to acquire NetherRealm (which will come with Mortal Kombat) because if Sony acquires them, the fighting game genre is basically dead on Xbox. Personally, neither NetherRealm and especially TT Games do anything for me. What I really want to see is Microsoft acquire all of WB Interactive and all of DC. Don't care if it's $30B or whatever it costs. I wish Microsoft would acquire it all. Once they get back the initial cost, it's all free money for Microsoft as they can just license out all the properties for TV shows, movies, etc. with the only real investment being the game studios.

TidusYuna

Would WB still own the Mortal Kombat IP because Killer Instinct VS Mortal Kombat would be great.

Top Bottom