• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jeff Grubb - VentureBeat] PlayStation boss Jim Ryan needs to create a better narrative

Lol, MS must be spreading that FUD money around, again. Didn't work before the gen started, sure as Hell isn't working, now. The funniest part about all this doom for PS5, while sales are going great, it that it really just points to Xbox floundering. They tried pushing the "GamePass is the 2nd coming" narrative while the XBO/XSX suffers a drought of 1st party content and sales of PS5 is still keeping up with PS4, so now they have to switch to just making up BS about the direction PS is headed. Even though that direction is similar to what Sony has been doing for decades.

Sorry, fanboys, no matter how much you try to push this narrative, you're not stopping this train. Or causing quality exclusives to materialize out of thin air for the XSX. Just as bad as the MSM at this point.

Last edited:

NahaNago

You know, I've been complaining about Sony for months now because of the direction they have been seemingly going in but I'm still shocked to see so many people frustrated with Sony and Jim Ryan. Like over the big budget games, the non exclusives, pc ports, barely indie support, and the lack of Japanese first party exclusives. With that said even I understand the stance that Sony is going in. Big budget games make more money than publishing and making a whole bunch of smaller games. Folks buy a console for AAA games and not indies. Sony is doing great with the direction they are going in and making tons of money while selling tons of PS5s.

turtlepowa

Banned
Guys i get it, there are some negative news and rumors about your beloved plastic toy or the company that builds it or the boss of the company that builds it and you are in full defense mode. But do you honestly think this is a conspiracy or campaign (paid by Microsoft)? Think about it. Casuals dominate the market and casuals usually will never read any of those. Just we core gamers do. And core gamers are:

1. Sony fan(boy)s (+ Pc)
2. Microsoft fan(boy)s (+ Pc)
3. Nintendo fan(boy)s (+ Pc)
4. Have multiple console(s) (+ Pc)
5. Don't give a shit about consoles (just Pc)

It would be a waste to finance a campaign, because nothing will change for core gamers. Those are some attention whoring "please click me" news and rumors just like those 5/10 reviews of 9/10 games.

TheAssist

It's not just that one thing in isolation. It's the other stuff that adds to it (like SlimySnake listed above).

So for a game company not long who promoted themselves as anti-DRM, execs passing discs to one another, and #4theplayers, their focus seems to have migrated to mainstream AAA games, COD partnerships (even doing a mobile partnership with Activision and COD competitive play) and non-existent PR. Even going so far as to not even bother doing E3 anymore. The last time they did it was 2018, and that showed focused on 4 key first party games. And hurry up and buy your legacy system games because for cost savings were closing it down.

If anything they are narrowing their focus on games, while at the same time banking giant profits. While 10 years ago, their financials for PS werent great at all, yet they were churning out tons of games and genres across AAA and small budgets.

I dont know man. They are constantly talking on their Blog, on Twitter and on Youtube. All these channels are very active and very much game focused. AAA, AA and indy games.
Like others have already said, Sony has shown a lot of AA and indy exclusives last year during their PS5 showing (which was a bad thing back then apparently and now no one is talking about stray, or little devil inside, or Kena and that selective dementia promoted this picture of Sony not investing in anything that isnt AAA).

I look at it like this:

- Sony is closing the old PSN stores because keeping that legacy stuff is prohibiting them from moving forward with new online services. Old PSN isnt Jims fault btw., but he has to deal with it. Hardly anyone is buying stuff on there anyway and game preservation isnt Sony job, unless they developed the game

- Sony is taking the talking to where most people are these days. And thats not gaming magazines or gaming forums, but social media

- They are leveraging the fact that they have some of the only studios and monetary capabilities to produce big blockbuster games that entice people to buy their console, because they are literally the only place where you can buy those. Nothing new from them. Most smaller games were 3rd party exclusives to begin with, something a lot of people tend to forget.

- they make lots of exclusive deals with smaller studios to fill in the gaps (like they have always done in the past)

- They make exclusivity deals with Japanese devs to appeal to that audience (FF XVI, Ghost Wire Tokyo and probably more in the future like the ongoing collaboration with ATLUS). Again, something they have always done in the past. Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and so on and so on were all 3rd party exclusive deals. Back then Sony of course had less competition so some of them would just naturally only release on Playstation. Its also not Sonys fault that most japanese devs either left the gaming market completely or are now focusing on mobile games.

I dont see how being at E3 has anything to do with anything. E3 is a shitshow run by a shit company that doesnt care about gamers or the data security of their own "customers" at all and still wants a huge paycheck for the "exposure". Sony should do their own thing.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guys i get it, there are some negative news and rumors about your beloved plastic toy or the company that builds it or the boss of the company that builds it and you are in full defense mode. But do you honestly think this is a conspiracy or campaign (paid by Microsoft)? Think about it. Casuals dominate the market and casuals usually will never read any of those. Just we core gamers do. And core gamers are:

1. Sony fan(boy)s (+ Pc)
2. Microsoft fan(boy)s (+ Pc)
3. Nintendo fan(boy)s (+ Pc)
4. Have multiple console(s) (+ Pc)
5. Don't give a shit about consoles (just Pc)

It would be a waste to finance a campaign, because nothing will change for core gamers. Those are some attention whoring "please click me" news and rumors just like those 5/10 reviews of 9/10 games.
It has happened before, during the PS4 and Xbox One launch. I even shared the report with you. Who's to say it isn't happening again.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
For years here, I got told the bias was all in my head and I was only seeing what I wanted to see, and I bought into that and believed them.

After the actions this week, and seeing the threads that are getting locked, vs what’s being left open, I can see the problem wasn‘t me.

I get that it’s hard being a PS fan in this day and age, but......

Kagey K

Banned
The anti Ps5 pr machine continues at full steam ahead. Good thing nobody cares and sales say otherwise.
Hopefully it carried the whole gen, and not just now.

This foolish sort sighted thinking is Grasshopper vs Ant scenario. They won’t be supply constrained forever and eventually normal people will need a reason to buy one.

reksveks

1) there are people whom don't understand that the 'narrative he is talking about is apart of marketing?
2) there are people whom think microsoft are paying people for these threads or articles, they are spending that money on lobbying.'

Calverz

"Sony silence is deafening"

Amazing. I said those exact words in another thread, quoting the last round of MS shilling from 2012/2013.

History repeats itself.

Memba When Mario 64 launched on the N64, Mario was £79.99, in the mid 90s. NINTENDO IS DOOMED!!

Ohh wait.
Lol not exactly the best example to use....the n64 got trounced by the playstation and nintendo lost their strangehold on the gaming industry. They were forced to reduce the cost of games.

FranXico

1) there are people whom don't understand that the 'narrative he is talking about is apart of marketing?
2) there are people whom think microsoft are paying people for these threads or articles, they are spending that money on lobbying.'
There are people who are aware that MS can afford as much of both as they like. And astroturfers cost them peanuts compared to lobbying (which they very much do to make sure anti-trust regulations no longer apply to them).

Last edited:

reksveks

There are people who are aware that MS can afford as much of both as they like. And astroturfers cost them peanuts compared to lobbying (which they very much do to make sure anti-trust regulations no longer apply to them).
they could but the roi on lobbying is greater, btw the reason that we see less anti-trust regulation against microsoft in comparison to different companies is that they aren't a really a monopoly anymore and in the one area that they are; they aren't currently abusing their position.

I don't know why this the PS community is blaming the xbox community.

Some of the threads about Jim Ryan have been started by people with a Pro PS posting history. I myself defended the guy saying I don't see why people hate him so much as he is not Don Mattrick.

Some of the YouTube content itself has come from generally pro Sony gamers too. There's some really laughable 'coordinated attack' theories on here. Another guy on the first or second page said its to get people to 'switch over'. I switched over on Nov to XSX as I thought gamepass sounded great and when I stated that Sony fans attacked me and said I'm a fake account and no way people would possibly switch. It seems like many are still pushing this theory and everyone is out to get you.

Look, don't worry, PS5 is and will still be the best selling console. It will have a ton of games you will enjoy. I had no idea alot of gamers were this fragile.

Oh dear, more bad PR are the usual suspects still happy with radio silence now? PS public relations need a swift kick up the jacksie.

Outrunner

Some 2007 report from a Linux site is your proof that Microsoft startet a huge campaign with paid influencers against Sony in 2021? Well let's just wait, if you are right chances are very high that some of those paid guys talk sooner or later when they need money.
They also paid youtubers to not say anything negative about Xbox One in the start of last generation

sncvsrtoip

yeah, i remember that. i dont think he really understands what a good show means. its about gameplay.

i hope we see more gameplay from both. horizon, gow and factions should all be there but i hope sony gives them a nice 6-8 minute demo like they used to in 2015-2018. its ok for conferences to go longer than an hour. people wait an entire year for them.

i also wish they would just come out and confirm if these games are being downported to ps4 before the conference so we can manage our expectations. i just rewatched the horizon trailer and i dont see how its possible on the ps4.

sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip pointed out that it was game engine footage or something, but there was so much footage of so many different scenes that i dont know if it was a cg or even a pre-rendered in-engine cutscene. there are clearly a.i systems and rendering systems that someone coded to make this gif happen.

On ps5 games ad during Horizon is writen not gameplay (similarly to one of cgi miles morales trailes that you know)

For years here, I got told the bias was all in my head and I was only seeing what I wanted to see, and I bought into that and believed them.

After the actions this week, and seeing the threads that are getting locked, vs what’s being left open, I can see the problem wasn‘t me.

I get that it’s hard being a PS fan in this day and age, but......
I'm not long posting here and to be honest I find the mods much more tolerant here than other places, people have different opinions and as long as things are discussed in a reasonable manner it's all good.

Currently the PS bad press is being taken as some sort of smear campaign by the usual suspects but this is all coming from a reliable source. People are just reacting to facts which haven't been disputed by any current Sony employees.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Some 2007 report from a Linux site is your proof that Microsoft startet a huge campaign with paid influencers against Sony in 2021? Well let's just wait, if you are right chances are very high that some of those paid guys talk sooner or later when they need money.
That IBM FUD campaign is a very famous incident, and most people know about it. A very similar thing happened in 2013 with Xbox One and PS4 launch. That's enough evidence to assume a similar thing might be happening right now, considering how fishy everything is looking right now.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm not saying that MS is running an FUD campaign against PS or paying influencers to bad-mouth PS management and Sony. I'm saying that there is enough precedent and evidence for some people to make that connection, and that line of thinking will be understandable.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not long posting here and to be honest I find the mods much more tolerant here than other places, people have different opinions and as long as things are discussed in a reasonable manner it's all good.

Currently the PS bad press is being taken as some sort of smear campaign by the usual suspects but this is all coming from a reliable source. People are just reacting to facts which haven't been disputed by any current Sony employees.
I’m going to press X to doubt.

Nothing against you, just how the reactions have been lately really shows it all.

turtlepowa

Banned
That IBM FUD campaign is a very famous incident, and most people know about it. A very similar thing happened in 2013 with Xbox One and PS4 launch. That's enough evidence to assume a similar thing might be happening right now, considering how fishy everything is looking right now.
Yeah, let's wait for real evidence then, right now it's just a bunch of conspiracy theories.

longdi

Banned
Lol not exactly the best example to use....the n64 got trounced by the playstation and nintendo lost their strangehold on the gaming industry. They were forced to reduce the cost of games.

That was i been saying....jim runs the risk of n64'd the ps5 by raising the cost of games, while Phil went opposite and reduce the costs through the innovative GP rental model..

carts <> cd

Once the supply constrains start to ease and the generation can get going, let see how influential big budget first party games are...

people get hot when they see multiple outlets criticizing their favorite brand. So according to some in here we also have Jeff to add to the list as well as digital foundry and everyone else that lately are biased in favor of Ms and after that article probably also Schreier (that always been second party Sony pr! lol)
Yeah it's pure madness, some on here are pretty delusional. Instead of calling Sony out on all this they happily bury their heads and hope it all goes away, exactly what Sony are doing. Internet has latched onto this now and it could have been nipped in the bud weeks ago, terrible public relations from PS.

ZywyPL

Banned
I agree, Ryan does need to learn how to put his words properly, because so far it feels like he's simply too afraid to put on bold, concrete statements, so that he doesn't upset the dedicated Playstation fans, only actually doing more damage in the process, instead of being like "this is our plan, this is where we're going, deal with it".

Three

This isn't about Microsoft, it's about Sony and many people seem to think that they are shooting themselves in the foot. Remember last gen when Microsoft shot themselves in the foot and it didn't require much effort on Sony's part to capitalize on it?

Whatever though, you seem to think you are Nostradamus or something so carry on.
The people who think they are Nostradamus are usually the people who predict Sonys doom.

Here are some gems a year from PS4 launch

"there will no longer be a big three by the end of the next console generation."

"Sony will be vaporized, that's all I know."

"Sony 3rd, drops out of console business"

Based on nothing. Nothing but hopes and dreams. That's because some people try and distort reality to fit a narrative. PR people and fanboys.
The reality was that PS3 launching a year later and being more expensive still outsold the 360 almost every single month throughout its lifetime so why people thought a PS4 launching at the same time and not needing an expensive BRD would struggle was based on nothing but fear mongering. When it did outsell XB1 it wasn't congratulations Sony you did it again it was "you only won because I fucked up bro".

Now we are in a new gen and somehow people are still doing the same thing. Despite PS5 outselling everything, despite Sony releasing the most games, despite Sony selling the most games, despite having the highest revenue. Despite everything Sony has achieved it is doomed again. The sad part is that people believe the FUD.

Last edited:
The people who think they are Nostradamus are usually the people who predict Sonys doom.

"there will no longer be a big three by the end of the next console generation."

Based on nothing. Nothing but hopes and dreams. That's because some people try and distort reality to fit a narrative. PR people and fanboys.
The reality was that PS3 launching a year later and being more expensive still outsold the 360 almost every single month throughout its lifetime so why people thought a PS4 launching at the same time and not needing an expensive BRD would struggle was based on nothing but fear mongering. When it did outsell XB1 it wasn't congratulations Sony you did it again it was "you only won because I fucked up bro".

Now we are in a new gen and somehow people are still doing the same thing. Despite PS5 outselling everything, despite Sony releasing the most games, despite Sony selling the most games, despite having the highest revenue. Despite everything Sony has achieved it is doomed again. The sad part is that people believe the FUD.
Sony aren't doomed and anyone saying otherwise is being silly, but come on this has really shown up the PS PR machine, don't you agree? After Jason's article hit, Sony should have released a short statement clarifying the situation, that would have stopped this in its tracks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, let's wait for real evidence then, right now it's just a bunch of conspiracy theories.
It takes time for evidence to come out and by the time it comes out it is useful more as a precedent but then people discount it as old news and the cycle repeats… conveniently :p.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

Obviously if these criticisms only came from the base, you would be possibly right Unlike the launch of the Xbo/ps4 where only fanboys could criticize the ps4, here are famous journalists, outlets, youtubers, insiders, and even former first party developers sony (god of war creator) Sony will have no problems, whoever knows, but it is clear that Sony fans do not know it's the right time to criticize or when just accept criticism.

The last two weeks were all about Xbox/GP fellatio and now it's all PS5 is shit and JR is the devil incarnate. They are really trying to make you "switch".

As if we needed more proof that this is all coordinated by Xbots. This is MKUltra shit.

And what about the last 6 years, where everything was negative MS and positive Sony?
Media only cares about people reading it. No matter what sticks. Right now this is the hot shit.
There is no conspiracy. LMAO

Media is just super late to realize who is doing good stuff and bad stuff.
Xbox fans saw this years ago. But most people only have the foresight of 1 day at best.

Sw0pDiller

when all this narrative-attacks are taking place you know Sony is doing something right, these people try to take the spotlight away. But Alas, PS5 is the talk of the town, people are swarmed in games on it and it flies of the shelves. Somebody needs to do something!

FranXico

Media is just super late to realize who is doing good stuff and bad stuff.
Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

Three

Sony aren't doomed and anyone saying otherwise is being silly, but come on this has really shown up the PS PR machine, don't you agree? After Jason's article hit, Sony should have released a short statement clarifying the situation, that would have stopped this in its tracks.
Yes exactly this is all PR and console warring not tangible issues.
So what exactly would we be feeling in 6 months to come back to this thread and analyse it?

Would Sony have abandoned game development in 6 months? Would PS5 sales have tanked? I would like to know where Sony is apparently shooting itself in the foot outside of the banter and crap that is happening in forums or videos by select 'influencers' right now to jump on the bandwagon of hits.

Look I get PR is important and some things can suck but this dumb disproportionate fear mongering is stupid.

Top Bottom