• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period."

FrankWza

Yep, this right here. Funny enough then they claim they do not care anymore about anything from Bethedia but will probably go out of their way to get the two games from Bethesda that are still exclusive to PS5.
Bethesda the dev and bethesda the publisher are 2 very different things. The dev makes very similar style games that, although set against different backdrops, play similarly. That’s why people that love skyrim are excited for starfield. It’s going to be skyrim in space. The Evil Within is not one of these games. When someone says they don’t like bethesda games, they’re referring to the developer. The 2 PS5 games coming are from arkane and tango. They don’t make those style games.

Yep, this right here. Funny enough then they claim they do not care anymore about anything from Bethedia but will probably go out of their way to get the two games from Bethesda that are still exclusive to PS5. The biggest test of time will be if both games become successful after all those hypocrites claimed they wanted nothing to do with anything from Bethesda, see this is what I've been saying and yet the mods here shut me up by banning me for a week. Because I told the truth. They are biased in their own nature and I swear if those games become successful I"m going to rage in anger over it. Because how can they still be in denial when Xbox and Bethesda told ALL OF US! That if you want to play ANY GAME FROM BETHESDA. It will be only on systems that have Xbox Gamepass and the only platform that still has it. Is Xbox & PC. What else is there to discuss over it. Why are people making 18 pages of nothing when the answers were already provided. Now I will say this. If games like Starfield do come to PlayStation and after what was said in that video. Then yes I will rage in anger and laugh at Microsoft for being the biggest lie and the biggest joke of all gaming history.

Here is a little reminder to those who are still discussing this topic when it should have stopped being discussed. Starts on 8:48

Phil Spencer honestly couldn't have been any more clear here. That people still continue to read into this as him not being clear shows you just how unwilling people are to accept the truth staring them in the face. This deal is about bringing "EXCLUSIVES" to Xbox.

He said he can't say every game is exclusive because people know that's not true. Meaning this is in relation to games we already know about. Existing online tailored games, existing singleplayer games that between them are still receiving updates and support that exist on other platforms, be it DLC, bug fixes, enhancements, balancing fixes, QOL updates etc, and upcoming game releases (deathloop, ghostwire) that will receive all I previously mentioned till end of support arrives.

There may even be future games under a contract we don't know about but just hasn't been made public. But past all of that which Phil says he will see through contractually, he starts talking directly to Xbox customers. I assure you when he addresses "Xbox customers" he isn't speaking to PlayStation 5 owners.

Xbox customers this is about delivering great exclusives games for you, that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists. He even starts laughing right around the point he starts saying this part, meaning he knows and understands the upset the move will cause, but he's telling you straight up that's what they spent $7.5 billion on, to keep Bethesda games exclusive to the Xbox eco-system.

He slam dunks this further by following it up with "that's our goal, that's why we're doing this, that's the root of this partnership we're building. And the creative capability we will be able to bring to market for our xbox customers is gonna be the best it's ever been for xbox after we are done here."

This is everything he says after the word but after getting the whole contractual formalities out of the way.

So what does this mean for people who want Elder Scrolls and Starfield or the next Fallout, the next Doom, the next Wolfenstein and any other brand new IP from Bethesda, but do not own an xbox console and do not plan to play on PC? Pray all the big games and even the ones we don't know about, including the Indiana Jones game, is under a contract that makes it so Microsoft must release on Playstation consoles in the future. Hoping for an epic flop of these big games which shifts their strategic thinking just won't happen when they drop for both Xbox consoles and PC and Game Pass is a thing. They've already factored in what they will lose from not supporting Playstation and have already determined that growing the xbox exclusive lineup and Game Pass is a far more valuable pursuit.

Renozokii

Fallout 4 was a high quality, widely successful release no matter how you slice it. It changed things up from Fallout 3 as I understand as I've done research there and watched videos to understand what was different, but it also became quite a bit better in other areas as well, particularly where gameplay was concerned. Seeing the gameplay is one of the main things that kept me away from Fallout in the past. Opinions will always be opinions, but there's no mistaking the quality of these games for bad or terrible, which I see many rushing to do lately due to the Xbox deal.

Not saying that's what you're doing, but it's just a reality of the current times in gaming. Fallout 4 was a very big and ambitious AAA open world RPG experience that gave you all kinds of different ways to play, approach and experience the world. The game is excellent even with some of its flaws. I was a very late comer to the fallout franchise. I hopped in once Fallout 4 was enhanced for Xbox One X. I had only played the Elder Scrolls titles before then, but I'm glad I jumped onboard Fallout when I did, made even better by the fact that I got to experience it in a much better state than what it originally launched at on consoles, and these days with the newer consoles we can expect so much better right out the gate.

It was hard to get me into these kinds of post apocalyptic worlds before because I'm very much into the colorful world/stylish worlds of japanese inspired RPGs, things that tend to remind me of Anime I'd watch, but I've learned to appreciate these other kinds of games over the years. There was a time the only way you could pull me into RPGs like this was a star wars jedi connection, something more humorous like Fable, or swords and magic.
>Fallout 4 was a high quality, widely successful release no matter how you slice it. It changed things up from Fallout 3 as I understand as I've done research there and watched videos to understand what was different, but it also became quite a bit better in other areas as well, particularly where gameplay was concerned. Seeing the gameplay is one of the main things that kept me away from Fallout in the past. Opinions will always be opinions, but there's no mistaking the quality of these games for bad or terrible, which I see many rushing to do lately due to the Xbox deal.

I’m not saying fallout 4 was a failure or piece of shit, I’m pointing out that long before Microsoft bought Bethesda there was already debates and opinions that fallout 4 was a step down from new Vegas and fallout 3. It was a success sales wise of course, but it sold 3 million more units than 3 from the data I could find, which given how massive fallout branding grew from 3 is about expected. Adjusted for inflation, force awakens is the second highest grossing Star Wars film of all time, do you think it’s the second best Star Wars movie of all time? Mass effect 3 is the best selling in the franchise, is it definitively better than 1 and 2? Andromeda’s gameplay is widely considered best in the franchise, is it better than the trilogy? This sort of faux defense is no beI was on forums during fallout 4s release and anybody implying it didn’t turn into a divisive game as people got deeper into it are bullshitting. Dialogue was garbage, the rpg elements took a hit, and much of the side content was a considerable step down.

>Not saying that's what you're doing, but it's just a reality of the current times in gaming. Fallout 4 was a very big and ambitious AAA open world RPG experience that gave you all kinds of different ways to play, approach and experience the world. The game is excellent even with some of its flaws. I was a very late comer to the fallout franchise. I hopped in once Fallout 4 was enhanced for Xbox One X. I had only played the Elder Scrolls titles before then, but I'm glad I jumped onboard Fallout when I did, made even better by the fact that I got to experience it in a much better state than what it originally launched at on consoles, and these days with the newer consoles we can expect so much better right out the gate.

But so were fallout 3, new Vegas, and every elder scrolls game. Ambition only means so much. They threw out nearly every improvement new Vegas made, and downgraded from fallout 3 in both dialogue and quest variety. Newer consoles mean nothing for more polished games btw. If Bethesda’s games are less buggy in the future it’ll be because they’ve actually improved their god awful engine, which they supposedly have been hard at work doing.

All stating is I think many people would argue the run of fallout 3 to new Vegas was of a much higher quality than 4 to 76

>Fallout 4 was a high quality, widely successful release no matter how you slice it. It changed things up from Fallout 3 as I understand as I've done research there and watched videos to understand what was different, but it also became quite a bit better in other areas as well, particularly where gameplay was concerned. Seeing the gameplay is one of the main things that kept me away from Fallout in the past. Opinions will always be opinions, but there's no mistaking the quality of these games for bad or terrible, which I see many rushing to do lately due to the Xbox deal.

I’m not saying fallout 4 was a failure or piece of shit, I’m pointing out that long before Microsoft bought Bethesda there was already debates and opinions that fallout 4 was a step down from new Vegas and fallout 3. It was a success sales wise of course, but it sold 3 million more units than 3 from the data I could find, which given how massive fallout branding grew from 3 is about expected. Adjusted for inflation, force awakens is the second highest grossing Star Wars film of all time, do you think it’s the second best Star Wars movie of all time? Mass effect 3 is the best selling in the franchise, is it definitively better than 1 and 2? Andromeda’s gameplay is widely considered best in the franchise, is it better than the trilogy? This sort of faux defense is no beI was on forums during fallout 4s release and anybody implying it didn’t turn into a divisive game as people got deeper into it are bullshitting. Dialogue was garbage, the rpg elements took a hit, and much of the side content was a considerable step down.

>Not saying that's what you're doing, but it's just a reality of the current times in gaming. Fallout 4 was a very big and ambitious AAA open world RPG experience that gave you all kinds of different ways to play, approach and experience the world. The game is excellent even with some of its flaws. I was a very late comer to the fallout franchise. I hopped in once Fallout 4 was enhanced for Xbox One X. I had only played the Elder Scrolls titles before then, but I'm glad I jumped onboard Fallout when I did, made even better by the fact that I got to experience it in a much better state than what it originally launched at on consoles, and these days with the newer consoles we can expect so much better right out the gate.

But so were fallout 3, new Vegas, and every elder scrolls game. Ambition only means so much. They threw out nearly every improvement new Vegas made, and downgraded from fallout 3 in both dialogue and quest variety. Newer consoles mean nothing for more polished games btw. If Bethesda’s games are less buggy in the future it’ll be because they’ve actually improved their god awful engine, which they supposedly have been hard at work doing.

All stating is I think many people would argue the run of fallout 3 to new Vegas was of a much higher quality than 4 to 76

Well said, being ambitious doesn't mean better, being big also doesn't mean better. I happen to think Bethesda's engine, for all that their games do, is actually pretty damn impressive. Their engine caters to all kinds of scenarios and possibilities that many gamers simply take for granted, but then surely miss when other games or RPGs don't do them. It's the little things. They are criticized for going in a less dialogue heavy, more action route, and I can certainly see that. For me, however, I enjoyed them improving their action and gameplay. It made it easier for me to take it up and play because it was harder for me to get into the franchise. I didn't have a major issue with the dialogue system up to the point where I played in Fallout 4. I certainly see and understand where it may be considered a stepdown for many compared to other titles, but another way to look at it is that not every conversation necessarily needed all these different branching possibilities because maybe they wanted to set you on a more specific story route before introducing .

They did absolutely need to improve their combat gameplay. It's a balancing act, so we shall see what they do in the future. Obsidian and they are now under the same roof. It will be exciting to see where things go.

yurinka

There is no way in hell it timed exclusive lol it a 1st party studio after all time exclusive are mostly for 3rd party studios.
Well, I assume that the 'first' inside the 'First or best on Xbox' Xbox Chief of Financial Operations quote was related to timed console exclusives. We also saw them releasing Minecraft Dungeons everwhere and after a timed exclusive, the Ori games on Switch.

They weren't cases where they were attached to pre-MS contractual stuff as may be the case of Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo or Psychonauts 2.

So it wouldn't be new for MS to release future games on other consoles at launch or after a timed console exclusive, they already did it.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Well, I assume that the 'first' inside the 'First or best on Xbox' Xbox Chief of Financial Operations quote was related to timed console exclusives. We also saw them releasing Minecraft Dungeons everwhere and after a timed exclusive, the Ori games on Switch.

They weren't cases where they were attached to pre-MS contractual stuff as may be the case of Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo or Psychonauts 2.

So it wouldn't be new for MS to release future games on other consoles at launch or after a timed console exclusive, they already did it.
saved )

I thought MS paid billions for Bethesda to keep supplying games to Sony.

They are supplying exclusives to Sony on top of that. What a great deal!!!

I hope Phil Spencer finds his backbone and cancel all non xbox exclusive deals. And challenge anyone in court whoever objects.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I hope Phil Spencer finds his backbone and cancel all non xbox exclusive deals. And challenge anyone in court whoever objects.

And lose 100s of millions of dollars in lawsuits? And all for what..........the lulz?

Dabaus

Banned

I agree. Id like to see MS violate a contract and have to pay sony hundreds of millions of dollars and put that money to better use than flop loop and tokyo vaporware ghost.

Top Bottom