• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Jeff Grubb: NetherRealm Skipping Injustice 3, Making Mortal Kombat 12 Instead

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
If true, that's fine with me. I respected the Injustice series, but it never did anything for me personally.

Man, I wish MK would return to the vibe and feel of 9. I adored that game so much. Growing up with MK, I'll always love it, sure. But I definitely think my love for the series peaked at 9, and then immediately plummeted with X and 11. I still gave them a shot, hell I grinded 11 just to get that Reptile Scorpion costume. I think 9 was actually the MK I played the most.

11, to me, felt like a step up from X, though I still didn't love either of them a whole lot. So, I'm just gonna hope that the next MK iteration is even better.
I loved 9 too. I loved that it was basically MK 1-3 with new graphics. I loved how the special moves looked and sounded the same as the old games.
MK X and 11 look and sound weird to me. Still good games but yeah i prefer 9.

Dec 7, 2008
He seems to be basing this on thinking NRS owns the Mortal Kombat IP but they do not, there is no safe IP for NRS to work on because they are a part of WB Games, anything they make will be owned by WB.

Id be willing to bet though that as part of Ed Boon's contract/whatever (since he's co-creator of the whole franchise) with NRS and WB that if he goes, MK goes with him unless it's a situation where he's retiring.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Gideon_128

JerryinSoCal

Apr 11, 2020
Id be willing to bet though that as part of Ed Boon's contract/whatever (since he's co-creator of the whole franchise) with NRS and WB that if he goes, MK goes with him unless it's a situation where he's retiring.
Oh I doubt that very much, WB bought NRS and the MK IP from Midway when they went bankrupt, Ed has no ownership of the title just because he's a co-creator, he didn't personally finance any of it. WB owns it outright, the IP was not for sale when NRS and the rest of the studios were up for grabs a little while back.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Nov 4, 2016
These greasy slags keep getting shit wrong time and time again, they get 1 correct from time to time and keep reminding us about it.

Reactions: JerryinSoCal
Nov 6, 2019
Just so you know, the news that "Superman is Gay" is a leak that broke 3 months early. You weren't supposed to hear it until November/December. Any journoz that claim they are breaking the news, they are lying. It was Ethan Van Scyver that broke it first from his contact.

boomcrab

Neo Member
Jul 11, 2021
I really hope it's something different like the crossover game rumor, but even then I want it to play differently than the last few MKs and injustices. I enjoyed injustice 2 quite a bit and wouldn't mind a third game but honestly this feels like the last time they could get away with another one of these.

Reactions: Ailynn
Aug 25, 2021
I’m hoping for the Smash Bros style game. We’ve had plenty of MK games and it feels like they just finished with 11. Let’s give that a break and do something new eh?

stn

Jun 15, 2012
Would MUCH prefer MK12 or Injustice 3. Not hyped for this at all and I'll bet that leak is real.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

MAtgS

Dec 13, 2008
Next week: "Netherrralms is working on MK vs. Sreet Fighter"

The week after: " Netherrealms is doing a console version of WWE Immortals even though all the good wrestlers got fired"

A month later: "Netherrealms is making LEGO Mortal Kombat"

NeverYouMind

Neo Member
Sep 1, 2021
It is a shame as MK11 is the first one I skipped in the franchise and I really enjoyed the gameplay design (with the exception of clashes) in Injustice 2. I can't stand platform brawlers so this recent rumor does nothing to inspire confidence.

xiseerht

Nov 25, 2015
I saw this yesterday. Would make sense given the current unknowns about Warner Media
You know what......I didn't even think about that. Good thinking man. That actually makes a lot of sense. I don't even think Warner Media knows what they are doing with their gaming division . So since Netherrealms owns the rights to all of MK. Even if they go some where else. the whole Mortal Kombat brands goes with them.

RoboFu

Oct 10, 2017
He seems to be basing this on thinking NRS owns the Mortal Kombat IP but they do not, there is no safe IP for NRS to work on because they are a part of WB Games, anything they make will be owned by WB.
It’s definitely a safer bet that NRS goes with MK.