• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Hellblade 2/Elden Ring/Everwild will probably not be at E3

I hope so, just frustrated as a day one adopter. I can play a lot of old games on my new system, which is great, and i can play the best versions of third party games (on consoles) as well. But the fact that microsoft had nothing in the chamber besides halo for this console launch, and even then had to delay that a year, just reeks of either a lack of resources or incompetence. I love my xbox, but the onus is on microsoft to show us what this console can do, like sony did with demons souls in november, but the fact that they have nothing, and for months have had nothing is a fucking joke. The next major game from them on series x is a port of a pc game, and psychonauts will be availible on playstation as well. Imagine how different the narrative would be now if they had forza motorport, and halo ready for launch in november? Why are these games still so far out? Halo was busted, i get the delay, but turn 10 was pumping out a forza game every other year. What happened?
I actually agree with you on pretty much all points. Halo I think was just a time thing, it needed more time. By all accounts this is by far the most ambitious Halo ever made and I'm hopeful for a very good game. With Forza and Turn 10 you have a team that were one of the most prolific developers in the business. Problem was they never had enough time to really push the series forward. They now have the time and I'm sure we are in for something special, probably holiday next year. If we get another 2 or 3 exclusives this year not including Halo, then it wouldn't be terrible but we absolutely do need new games and quick.

supernova8

Banned
Can someone make like a sticky thread with Jeff Grubb's "predictions" so that we can actually track them (and hold him to them) and see how often he's actually getting stuff right.

Maybe he does get stuff right but if it's only like 20% of the time then I really don't want to keep hearing shit from him.

supernova8

Banned
That was in-engine trailer. Final game will look close but not identical which is expected

Honestly I have my doubts. I wonder if it's going to end up being Microsoft's "Killzone 2" reveal, where the final game looks nice but not even close to that bullshot CGI sequence.

sublimit

Banned
Just in case you guys forgot how unreliable Jeff Grubb is:

Just in case you guys forgot how unreliable Jeff Grubb is:
They're so goddamn desperate for attention and relevance.
Elden Ring will most likely be at E3: Bandai Namco is bringing it back along with Tales of Arise.

sublimit

Banned
They're so goddamn desperate for attention and relevance.
Elden Ring will most likely be at E3: Bandai Namco is bringing it back along with Tales of Arise.
Personally i think anything is possible. I'm not holding my breath to see Elden Ring in this E3 but this has nothing to do with what Grubb said.

Godot25

Banned
I mean, you surely can't win.
Microsoft shows games that are way off..."WHY ARE THEY SHOWING GAME THAT WILL BE OUT IN 2023????"
Microsoft won't show games that are way off... "WHY ARE THEY NOT SHOWING GAMES???"

Hellblade 2 is supposed to be UE5 game. So only way to show it is through CGI. And if Microsoft will show CGI people will bitch even more.

If they show Starfield, Forza Horizon 5, Wolfenstein 3, Project Omen, Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2 and that "Typhoon game" they don't need Hellblade II or Everwild at this years E3. Especially when they are not coming this year or in first half of next year. Sprinkle some partnerships here and there, maybe one surprise (Avowed?) and you have a great E3

Rolla

Banned
Microsoft still hasnt been able to release a new first party xbox series x game, and were already 6 months out of launch. its embarrassing. Microsoft likes to talk alot, show lots of cg trailers, but it takes fucking forever for them to show the receipts to back those up.

Those trailers were made by dedicated studios

Fable

Avowed

The problem is that people claim that trailers are actually "gameplay" Only to have their hype deflated when actual gameplay hits and looks nothing like the footage created by a CG studio. I''ve never understood this process as it can only be detrimental to the IP.

Umbasaborne

Banned

Fable

Avowed

The problem is that people claim that trailers are actually "gameplay" Only to have their hype deflated when actual gameplay hits and looks nothing like the footage created by a CG studio. I''ve never understood this process as it can only be detrimental to the IP.
Oh yeah, when i say “in engine” i usually use quotes because its still cg...just cg using an advanced version of the games engine that will look better than the game could ever look during real gameplay. Just like halo infinites “in engine” trailer. Anyone who expects hell blade 2 to look like that first trailer is in for a rude awakening

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Fable

Avowed

Oh yeah, when i say “in engine” i usually use quotes because its still cg...just cg using an advanced version of the games engine that will look better than the game could ever look during real gameplay. Just like halo infinites “in engine” trailer. Anyone who expects hell blade 2 to look like that first trailer is in for a rude awakening

Exactly.

I like how some ppl keep dancing around this topic. Once again, the Halo Infinite SlipSpace trailer vs the gameplay reveal should have ppl keeping expectations in check.

Better to be pleasantly surprised vs setting yourself up for disappointment.

Rolla

Banned

There was a thread on era where someone linked every trailer at the XB showcase to the animation studio it was created at. Nearly all of what we saw was not gameplay. Perfect Dark was also a CG trailer made by a specialized CG studio.

In this day and age, if I don't see actual gameplay said game is a non starter. I don't care who it's from. I held off on Cyberpunk because they refused to showcase console footage at every turn. I was being told I should support the developer since I enjoyed the Witcher 3... Right up until Cyberpunk's release day...

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I find Jeff hard to believe there, Hellblade was announced quite some time ago and I think it would be smart for MS to show it really this time.
Elden Ring is expected to be there , the only game I would understand not being there is everwild....Maybe once the studio will know what the game is.

trikster40

So, an alleged insider says “probably”. Which means 50/50. So pretty much anybody could be an insider these days.

And he probably is right. And probably wrong.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I find Jeff hard to believe there, Hellblade was announced quite some time ago and I think it would be smart for MS to show it really this time.
Elden Ring is expected to be there , the only game I would understand not being there is everwild....Maybe once the studio will know what the game is.
He'll blade 2 is at the mercy of epic being unreal 5. It might be the VGA show before we see it. We have no idea if the engine is on schedule or not. N

Barlow

Don't know he's the same guy who said that UE5 Alpha delayed until summer and preview to late 2021

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
He'll blade 2 is at the mercy of epic being unreal 5. It might be the VGA show before we see it. We have no idea if the engine is on schedule or not. N
So that would mean they did nothing, have nothing to show pre UE5? They have no gameplay footage from the UE4 work?

It might be at the mercy of being finalized, but I doubt they are at the mercy of having anything at all to show from the UE4 work.

Godot25

Banned
So that would mean they did nothing, have nothing to show pre UE5? They have no gameplay footage from the UE4 work?

It might be at the mercy of being finalized, but I doubt they are at the mercy of having anything at all to show from the UE4 work.
So people can bitch about it not look as good as it can like in Halo Infinite's case?

If game is supposed to be released on UE5 it's logical they want to wait for engine to show it...

You best get ready then *rollseyes*

The Alien

Banned
Another disappointing Microsoft showcase coming up.

What’s hilarious about this is they threw in the towel for last gen in 2018. Fast foward to 2021 and they still can’t get it right

I just don’t get why product development is so difficult for these guys. Its honestly perplexing. Matt Booty is very very bad at his job but Phil is too soft to demote/fire him
Your pessimism is refreshing. 😒

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have enough between Halo Infinite and Bethesda exclusives (yup, exclusives...including Starfield) to make up for these games.

Nobody should be surprised about Everwild. Game is targeting much further out and probably won't be ready next year either.
Elden Ring is a 3rd party game...so when its ready its ready. Hellblade 2 is a bit of a surprise, but sure we'll see something at their annual November event.

MastaKiiLA

I said it last year, but people who shit on 343i were totally out of pocket. Halo: Infinite was the only game even remotely close to presentable. Nothing else that wasn't already in development for the PC as anywhere near demonstratable. Yeah, Halo could've used a lot more time in the oven, but when you put it all in context, you see that 343i actually had their shit more together than any other studio. They basically got buried for being ahead of the curve.

The more time passes, the more apparent it becomes that the XSX launch was rushed. That was a 2022 console. They just didn't want to cede time to Sony.

replicant-

Elden Ring was announced far too early by From.

We were getting nuggests of information and news well before the initial trailer during the Xbox E3 2019 showcase.

If it is at E3 this year, I reckon it will appear as part of MS show due to the co-marketing deal.

NullZ3r0

Banned
The only believable one is Everwild. That game is nothing but a vaporware tech demo. I don't even think Rare knows what the game is. It has Anthem vibes all over it.

Elden Ring was announced far too early by From.

We were getting nuggests of information and news well before the initial trailer during the Xbox E3 2019 showcase.

If it is at E3 this year, I reckon it will appear as part of MS show due to the co-marketing deal.
Far too early? It probably was just pushed back by one year because Coronavirus messed up their plans.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Hellblade is so far away wasnt even expecting it. The last video I seen about it they were still doing location scouting for designs

McCarth

I don't think MS wants to show little bits of a lot of stuff this year, that was last year. I'm betting it's mostly just going to be Halo, Starfield and Forza.

Last edited:

djkimothy

It’s announced for PS4 and X1 and the whole marketing rights situation seems a bit unclear, it could be that Bandai Namco just chose to showcase it on Xbox E3 event

Yah. That’s what i figured.

I thought MS just had marketing rights because it was unveiled on their presser.

yurinka

I also have 'insider leaks': Knack 4, Mario128, Halo Kart, GoWR, Halo Infinite, Jelly Boy remake and Call of Duty will probably not be at E3. Or maybe yes.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Since I don’t believe a word coming out of that hobo maybe there’s a chance we see Everwild in action.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

a7bvdzjp4z071.png

Last edited:

Renozokii

I said it last year, but people who shit on 343i were totally out of pocket. Halo: Infinite was the only game even remotely close to presentable. Nothing else that wasn't already in development for the PC as anywhere near demonstratable. Yeah, Halo could've used a lot more time in the oven, but when you put it all in context, you see that 343i actually had their shit more together than any other studio. They basically got buried for being ahead of the curve.

The more time passes, the more apparent it becomes that the XSX launch was rushed. That was a 2022 console. They just didn't want to cede time to Sony.
Lol what. Halo had been getting worked on for 5 years at that point, 6 by the time it comes out. That’s more than a full dev cycle.

Shubh_C63

Far too early? It probably was just pushed back by one year because Coronavirus messed up their plans.
It surely was but look at the release windows of From game, like an well oiled machine they make games pretty fast.

Considering the fact it is easily the most ambitious project FROM has ever worked the timeline for a proper reveal should lie on this E3.

cripterion

Lmao why the fuck are these games getting announced so many god damn years before they are ready. This is getting fucking comical at this point, especially with eleden ring

Project is tied with George RR. Martin it was bound to be announced early and indefinitely late.

Lol what. Halo had been getting worked on for 5 years at that point, 6 by the time it comes out. That’s more than a full dev cycle.
It's true that we're going on six years since the last mainline entry to Halo; however, 343 scrapped their development with Infinite somewhere mid-progress as they realized they needed to build a new engine to accomplish everything they wanted to do with the game. So yes 6 years is plenty of time to make a game, but starting over to build a completely new engine does take time. A lot of posters keep bringing up how embarrassing it is that the xbox hasn't released a big exclusive for the system, which I can agree with to a degree, but it would be even more embarrassing if they had released Infinite before it was ready and the only exclusive launched thus far was a bomb - Halo no less. The PR would have been catastrophic. Instead, the only people completely up in arms about it are die-hard gamers. The general public doesn't even know any better.

Top Bottom