• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Hellblade 2/Elden Ring/Everwild will probably not be at E3

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Oh it worked. From that trailer til around the PS5 showcase last year you had some ppl questioning if Sony would have something that would look as good. Sony having Godfall at the same show didnt help but still.
Yep, I was going to mention that too. It's almost like Microsoft had info that Sony would only show Godfall and they wanted to get a leg up on Sony

The "full RDNA 2" claims should come to an end next month too when we see the next wave of PS5 exclusives 🔥

LMJ

I have to admit that HellBlade 2 is a surprise, they better have SOMETHING substantial to show next time they have a presentation or people will start writing them off, art won't cut it this time guys!

Everwild was expected lol When you show a pretty trailer at your next gen showcase and follow with "well we haven't decided what kind of gameplay it will have" that SCREAMS vaporware...

As for Elden Ring, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an internal battle between Sony and MS for the rights to a reveal...

I hope so, just frustrated as a day one adopter. I can play a lot of old games on my new system, which is great, and i can play the best versions of third party games (on consoles) as well. But the fact that microsoft had nothing in the chamber besides halo for this console launch, and even then had to delay that a year, just reeks of either a lack of resources or incompetence. I love my xbox, but the onus is on microsoft to show us what this console can do, like sony did with demons souls in november, but the fact that they have nothing, and for months have had nothing is a fucking joke. The next major game from them on series x is a port of a pc game, and psychonauts will be availible on playstation as well. Imagine how different the narrative would be now if they had forza motorport, and halo ready for launch in november? Why are these games still so far out? Halo was busted, i get the delay, but turn 10 was pumping out a forza game every other year. What happened?

Well said. I have never understood the pure almost sycophantic adulation for Phil Spencer in all honesty. As a big Xbox fan it makes me cringe.

Let’s be honest, it’s going to be more Halo and another Forza Horizon this Autumn/Winter. Horizon is a fine series , fuck sake tho this will be the fifth in only a few years.

What pisses me off the most is why can’t they be more like Sony in the sense of having your big studios set up to produce more than one title at a time? Insomniac released Sunset Overdrive, Ratchet Remake, Spider-Man and Miles Morales whilst Naughty Dog put out Uncharted 4, Lost Legacy and Last of Us 2. Sucker Punch Infamous and Ghosts.

It’s friggin embarrassing, they only started properly investing in first party because of a subscription service and the core fans keep getting told to wait. If they had anything about them they could of had at least one big new showcase game for launch window but no!

Iced Arcade

Surprised no hellblade 2.

Another disappointing Microsoft showcase coming up.

What’s hilarious about this is they threw in the towel for last gen in 2018. Fast foward to 2021 and they still can’t get it right

I just don’t get why product development is so difficult for these guys. Its honestly perplexing. Matt Booty is very very bad at his job but Phil is too soft to demote/fire him
Holy dramatic.

2 games not shown out of 23 studios and "it's a wash" 😂 "shut er down, it's a wrap they are not showing 2 games."

Last edited:

McHuj

What the hell is going on with Elden Ring?

Announced so long ago, but no media, but leaked shitty quality trailers. Are they remaking it?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
More like Neverwild. They didn’t have a game idea last time. I don’t have much faith in that project.

2 games not shown out of 23 studios and "it's a wash" 😂
The problem in that sentence is two games not shown but the 23 studios you mentioned won't each be prepared to show actual games or maybe even in-engine trailers like inHellblade II (which btw look how it might turn out). We won't know till the day, how many games MS will actually showcase but this news (if true) is disheartening cause they showed these last time around and even before that so they built expectations that they are in a position to show even more and maybe even announce dates...

For comparison's sake, whenever Sony announced showcased their exclusives a little too early, they continued showing them each year, year after year, or show after show with a build-up that showed improving progression. We are left to wonder if MS did really screw the pooch and announced/revealed even earlier than Sony did with their exclusives games and if the wait will be longer than many have predicted.

Iced Arcade

The problem in that sentence is two games not shown but the 23 studios you mentioned won't each be prepared to show actual games or maybe even in-engine trailers like inHellblade II (which btw look how it might turn out). We won't know till the day, how many games MS will actually showcase but this news (if true) is disheartening cause they showed these last time around and even before that so they built expectations that they are in a position to show even more and maybe even announce dates...

For comparison's sake, whenever Sony announced showcased their exclusives a little too early, they continued showing them each year, year after year, or show after show with a build-up that showed improving progression. We are left to wonder if MS did really screw the pooch and announced/revealed even earlier than Sony did with their exclusives games and if the wait will be longer than many have predicted.
When is the last time you ever seen every studio (from anyone) showcase something at a conference?

I know you know there is a lot more than 1 conference than E3 so stop being hilarious.

Last edited:

Phase

3GoPhUC.jpg
This is me with everything nowadays. Games? Constantly delayed. Guns? Put your name on a waitlist. GPU? Same thing. It'll be nice when we can take our hands off our hips and hold in our hands the items we want to buy.

I’m beginning to think that all 3 of these games are vaporware, especially Elden Ring. Why announce games so early when they are years out with literally nothing to show in between?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Would be odd not to have Hellblade 2 after all this time.

Hope Microsoft hasn’t mandated a pivot into some kind of GaaS monstrosity

DavidGzz

What the hell is going on with Elden Ring?

Announced so long ago, but no media, but leaked shitty quality trailers. Are they remaking it?

Miyazaki got too ambitious. Should stick with his winning formula. Leave the open worlds to the rest of the devs out there. A focused linear game is what I wanted. Some may disagree but look at all this waiting around with zero news. I cri erytiem.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Ih Hellblade 2 really isnt there then

A) The teaser trailer was the most BS bullshot video footage of all time

B) Game will suck

Why the hell are rare so slow to make games? Didn't they take years on sea of thieves even though it launched with almost no content? How longs it been since than? And they still cant show us a tiny bit of gameplay. They dont even know what the gameplay is!

Dabaus

Banned
Grubb has gone from “ Gears 6 won’t be at E3 because MS has so much to show” to “keep expectations in check” in less than 2 weeks.

I’ve seen other Xbox orbiters with the same song and dance too. It’s the same pattern every time.
-Rumor from some “insider”
- paid for shills on YouTube and Twitter pick up said rumor and that’s the topic of week
-Eventually it turns out said rumor was complete make believe but it’s forgotten about because they’re on to the new “rumor.”

Repeat.

Dabaus

Banned
Then more people should , particularly in the media, ask them why this is.

David Jaffe made a remark on his YouTube channel about Product Management/Development a few months ago and not in a positive sense. Phil Spencer then blocked him on Twitter .
Phil Spencer blocked David jaffe for saying that? Seriously?

Dolomite

What the fuuuuck?
I 'm out. They should have honestly just not announced Elden Ring 3 yrs ago if there's not anything to show for it now. Just tell is when you have something to show

Last edited:

skit_data

Neither Sony nor From Software are attending E3 so of course Elden Ring won’t be there.
Doesn’t mean we won’t get news of it in June though.
Bandai Namco is publishing Elden Ring, but Xbox has the marketing rights for Elden Ring. I really don’t think Jeff Grubb would be the one to know Bandai Namcos E3 schedule, if they decide to show Elden Ring.

Sony has bought shares in Kadokawa, the parent company of From Software, though.

Last edited:
Eh not sure I trust info coming from him. However, the game I'm most interested in is Infinite. Wouldn't surprise me if a third or more of the conference was just Infinite. I still anticipate plenty of games to be shown regardless.

While technically it wasnt an E3 conference as Nintendo has started doing their direct/treehouse stuff instead the week of E3, I remember when they spent an entire show going through each character of smash. That had to be the worst conference in history.

johnjohn

Surprised no hellblade 2.

Holy dramatic.

2 games not shown out of 23 studios and "it's a wash" 😂 "shut er down, it's a wrap they are not showing 2 games."
People still haven't come to terms with the fact that Xbox has 30+ teams working on games, plus their publishing side lol. It's a good thing though, this might be the first e3 in a while where people have unreasonably low expectations instead of unreasonably high expectations. It'll let Xbox really surprise people.

Grubb has gone from “ Gears 6 won’t be at E3 because MS has so much to show” to “keep expectations in check” in less than 2 weeks.

I’ve seen other Xbox orbiters with the same song and dance too. It’s the same pattern every time.
-Rumor from some “insider”
- paid for shills on YouTube and Twitter pick up said rumor and that’s the topic of week
-Eventually it turns out said rumor was complete make believe but it’s forgotten about because they’re on to the new “rumor.”

Repeat.
Can you actually post a source where Grubb said Gears 6 won't be at E3 because Xbox has too much to show? Or did he actually say that Gears 6 won't be at e3 because The Coalition has too much going on?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Bandai Namco is publishing Elden Ring, but Xbox has the marketing rights for Elden Ring. I really don’t think Jeff Grubb would be the one to know Bandai Namcos E3 schedule, if they decide to show Elden Ring.

Sony has bought shares in Kadokawa, the parent company of From Software, though.
What makes you think Microsoft has the marketing rights?

EDMIX

Isn't it using Unreal 5? That's probably why we won't see it this year. I'm optimistic it will look something close to what they showed, Unreal 5 is a very impressive engine.

Agreed.

From what we saw from that PS5 demo, I feel Hellblade 2 can look even better then the trailer running on Unreal 5. NT is a very, very talented team and Hellblade 1 already looks fucking amazing. So only reason I see a no show, is because Unreal Engine 5 not being officially released yet........thats it. So I expect any big projects that run on Unreal 5 to be pushed back a bit and come out after that official release.

skit_data

Showing a video at a conference doesn’t conclude your theory. Bandai don’t hold their own conferences so they just pick and choose as they please.
It’s possible, I’ve always assumed Xbox had some kind of agreement with Bandai Namco since it was revealed at an Xbox event but there’s no hard evidence

EDMIX

Showing a video at a conference doesn’t conclude your theory. Bandai don’t hold their own conferences so they just pick and choose as they please.

True. Thats how it was pre-Rona. Not all publishers had their own showing so they'd show up at Sony, MS etc, some times it was a deal, sometimes they just showed up cause they don't hold their own even etc.

It’s possible, I’ve always assumed Xbox had some kind of agreement with Bandai Namco since it was revealed at an Xbox event but there’s no hard evidence

We'll know when its revealed tbh. They want to get their money's worth in marketing, but they MS (or any publisher for that matter) won't reveal a deal and start marketing a game that isn't even revealed officially, so its likely a deal where they start paying and funding that marketing RIGHT when its revealed 100% or something as I think it makes sense for both sides.

Like look at how that XONE for CP2077 came out BEFORE even CP2077, they probably had a deal that stated they would put that system out on this date or something regardless of what the team was doing as it is MS money on the line marketing the title. So if a deal is made for marketing or DLC, we'll know at that reveal.

lol at Hellblade 2. People once thought that trailer was representative of in-game graphics 😅

would like to really see what it looks like though, they’ve had more than enough time to scrap something together
That was in-engine trailer. Final game will look close but not identical which is expected

At this point, we are either getting a flood of new games in the next 7 months that we don’t know about or it’s going to be a major drought until 2022.

At least we are getting Ratchet & Clank and Halo this year.

lol at Hellblade 2. People once thought that trailer was representative of in-game graphics 😅
What sort of nonsense is this?. That was is a representative of what the game will look like. You can show a clip of a game early in and then not show anything for a while.
It happens with lots of games like Shenmue 2, The Last Guardian, Ninja Gaiden, Alan Wake and loads more

Microsoft still hasnt been able to release a new first party xbox series x game, and were already 6 months out of launch. its embarrassing. Microsoft likes to talk alot, show lots of cg trailers, but it takes fucking forever for them to show the receipts to back those up.
The PS fans drivel is more embarrassing on here. MS has brought out two 1st party titles since launch, not great but that's the same number of SONY when it comes to 'exclusive' nextgen games
All this because deep down all the PS fans know MS now has the In-House studios numbers to rival SONY

ZywyPL

Banned
I personally don't expect to see the last year's CGI teasers in action, maybe except in another CGI form, but not an actual gameplay.

At this point, we are either getting a flood of new games in the next 7 months that we don’t know about or it’s going to be a major drought until 2022.

At least we are getting Ratchet & Clank and Halo this year.
You left out Pyschonuats 2 LOL

They'll still be great games coming out this year. This place cracks me up too. 6 months into my import Japanese PS2, Dreamcast there wasn't that many great games to play and for the PS2 hardly any showed off the hardware. It took until ICO and SH2 before we saw what the PS2 could do, nearly a year later. It wasn't much better for the 1st 8 months of my 360 either imo bar Fight Night 3 and GRAW.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really hope Elden Ring is there. I’m ready for my next From Software fix.

MS needs a damn good show with some as solid as possible release dates. We all understand that the world is fucked thanks to Covid but it will be inexcusable to not deliver a strong E3 imo. They knew they were launching a console. I really don’t understand how its Microsoft that can deliver some truly incredible hardware with a robust feature rich OS but not get their software line up on some form of track.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
who is he ?! WHO IS JEFF GRUB ?!
Really. Who is he.... the nes schrier not able to keep any secret?

Last edited:
Top Bottom