• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Everwild got rebooted after its creative director left last year, now scheduled to 2023 but could slip to 2024

Riky

$MSFT
You watched a story trailer. How you got a taming system, leveling system, and four-player co-op from that is beyond me.

Like I said, I paid attention to what they said and showed, it wasn't hard, I even gave an example of where they mentioned it. How you could approach a creature later in a different way, they stated a couple of times at least how the animals have relationships with each other.
It may be beyond you but I found it easy to follow.

Ozriel

M$FT
ROFL, man the honeymoon period for games really is something. Like when did sub 90 become "critical hits"?

I mean I know they had to cobble together the campaign in what one and a half years so it's pretty good if you look at it from that perspective, but from a "game of the decade" oh boy...

On every review scale, 85+ is considered very very good.

Opencritic translates an 87% rating as ‘Mighty’. Perhaps you can file a strongly worded complaint about this? 😂

So who knows maybe Everwild and pull it off, my suggestion is that they give the main character a grappling hook, this way they can make the map mostly empty and barren of combat encounters and the player will be far too busy zipping past it to notice. Story can be awful too, with major events happening off screen and told to you by an exposition dump, be a critical hit if they do that.

Even if they release it in a contentless half completed mess they managed to turn Sea of Thieves around, so have to give them some credit.

It really really burns you that Halo Infinite is doing this well, and getting this level of critical success, doesn’t it?

Good.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You watched a story trailer. How you got a taming system, leveling system, and four-player co-op from that is beyond me.
Not him but many thought this would be a co-op game(like Sea of thieves) with animal taming after the 2019 announcement trailer.

I'm hoping it's going to be a Viva Pinata type game where you have to attract these animals to your garden/ world.
Yep, that's the vibe I am getting from the trailer. Persistant open world co-op eco-warrior sim.
I guarantee it’s about co-op, exploration and taming creatures.
Isn't that what I said?...sort of
Apologies to the people summoned but I need witnesses!

yurinka

in all honestly and if we want to be really truly honest , no .... lol no. Returnal is a high grade AA ... morales is a dlc++, demon soul a graphic remake of an old old game with better textures . The only one who could really compete is Rachet ... but we can bet the account that Halo or Forza will sell at least 2 times what rachet will,
A "high grade AA" game won a ton of awards last year, called Hades. Returnal is a better game, or at least in the same ballpark.
Miles Morales time to beat with extras is about the same time to beat as Gears 5, so is Gears 5 campaign DLC++?
Demons Souls, as you said, is a remake, not a remaster, and is very high quality, so why does it matter if it's based on an old game that is locked to the PS3 system, which most people don't have access to?
According to Moby Games this is the amount of people that appear on their game credits:
Hades: 205 (170 developers) - Open Critic 94
Returnal: 1344 (1155 developers) - Open Critic 86
Demon's Souls: 1457 (1388 developers) - Open Critic 92
Gears 5: 1689 (1431 developers) - Open Critic 85
Miles Morales: they still didn't list its credits there, but should be like Returnal or bigger - Open Critic 85

Hades is an AA game, the other ones AAA games developed during several years. Morales isn't a 'DLC++', it's an spin-off.

How long as Avowed been in development? Honest question

Obsidian posted a number of job listings[5] in late September 2019, seeking applicants for range of roles including artists, programmers, and game designers. Some of the listings mention "combat with an emphasis on an exceptional first-person melee experience", "combat actions utilizing both first and third person animations", "branching dialogue", "conversations and cut scenes", and "day/night cycles"[6]. Several jobs mentioned "experience with Unreal Engine" as a requirement. Development on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, another first-person title was wrapping up before its release in October 2019, suggesting work was ramping on a new title at this time.

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Avowed

So pretty likely in October 2019 they completed the production of Outer Worlds and Avowed started full production. Add at least 4 years of development (today AAA games typically take 4-6 years), so I wouldn't expect it to be released before late 2023, and this isn't considering a potential covid related delay many other teams had.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If you enjoy average games plenty of people sit down to play Call of Duty and Madden every day, It's just not for me.

‘Average’? I believe I just showed you not long ago that the critical consensus was ‘Mighty’ according to OpenCritic, aggregating 139 reviews. Same score as stuff like FF7 Remake that you apparently adore.

I suppose it’s best you accept you’re the outlier.

So pretty likely in October 2019 they completed the production of Outer Worlds and Avowed started full production. Add at least 4 years of development (today AAA games typically take 4-6 years), so I wouldn't expect it to be released before late 2023, and this isn't considering a potential covid related delay many other teams had.

Most AAA games don’t take 4 - 6 years for the full production stage. And probably not Avowed that’s made by a studio that’s well known for efficient development.

They’ll probably be wanting to wrap up Avowed relatively quickly so they can fully pivot to finishing outer worlds 2.

‘Average’? I believe I just showed you not long ago that the critical consensus was ‘Mighty’ according to OpenCritic, aggregating 139 reviews. Same score as stuff like FF7 Remake that you apparently adore.

Most AAA games don’t take 4 - 6 years for the full production stage. And probably not Avowed that’s made by a studio that’s well known for efficient development.

They’ll probably be wanting to wrap up Avowed relatively quickly so they can fully pivot to finishing outer worlds 2.

Avowed is Obsidians first open-world AAA RPG since Fallout NV

I wouldn't use their previous work to guess how quickly they can get this finished. 4 years is about right unless it's not as big of a game as it we think it is

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Damn right, the average player is sat there Inhailing Destiny 2, Apex Legends and even broken games like BF2042. If a community of gamers can actually sit down and enjoy a mess like BF2042 they can very easily sit down and enjoy Halo infinite, its hardly a fair comparison.

Last edited:

yurinka

Most AAA games don’t take 4 - 6 years for the full production stage.
Unless they are a rehash of another game yes, they take this in average specially when they are new IPs, make a new engine for the game, it's their first open world, etc. In some cases it also includes preproduction. In other ones not and you have to add some months, depending on the case up to a year or a bit more.

Last edited:

CeeJay

K2D

Banned
dKP33Sa.jpg

Another one bites the dust? Let's hope something good comes out the other end..

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
According to Moby Games this is the amount of people that appear on their game credits:
Hades: 205 (170 developers) - Open Critic 94
Returnal: 1344 (1155 developers) - Open Critic 86
Demon's Souls: 1457 (1388 developers) - Open Critic 92
Gears 5: 1689 (1431 developers) - Open Critic 85
Miles Morales: they still didn't list its credits there, but should be like Returnal or bigger - Open Critic 85

Hades is an AA game, the other ones AAA games developed during several years. Morales isn't a 'DLC++', it's an spin-off.

Obsidian posted a number of job listings[5] in late September 2019, seeking applicants for range of roles including artists, programmers, and game designers. Some of the listings mention "combat with an emphasis on an exceptional first-person melee experience", "combat actions utilizing both first and third person animations", "branching dialogue", "conversations and cut scenes", and "day/night cycles"[6]. Several jobs mentioned "experience with Unreal Engine" as a requirement. Development on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, another first-person title was wrapping up before its release in October 2019, suggesting work was ramping on a new title at this time.

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Avowed

Yeah and I'm pretty sure Avowed switched directors. I wouldn't expect it in 2022, late 2023 is probably right, maybe 2024

Ozriel

M$FT
Avowed is Obsidians first open-world AAA RPG since Fallout NV

I wouldn't use their previous work to guess how quickly they can get this finished. 4 years is about right unless it's not as big of a game as it we think it is

Kojima did Death Stranding in 3 years…and that’s as AAA as they come.

Respawn made Titanfall 2 (Campaign + MP) in 2 years. Less than 3 years for Jedi Fallen Order, and that was developed side by side with Apex Legends.

343 released Halo 5 3 years after Halo 4.

Full production stage for games usually lasts between 12 - 36 months. If we go with the timeline that full production started after Outer Worlds shipped, it puts Avowed at no later than 2023 release.

If Redfall hadn’t been announced for 2022, I’ll bet anything that the thread would have been filled with people predicting 2023/2024 release dates.

That post in the Halo Infinite OT was right below mine when the game was not out and very few posted in the OT, I don't need to trawl through your history for that. As for the Ubisoft comparison, not even the biggest Ubisoft hater tried to make that comparison.
And I would trust him more than someone who thinks BOTW is a Ubisoft type game.

The fellow you’re arguing with saw a map with icons and has been proclaiming for months that Halo Infinite is a Far Cry clone 😂

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Kojima did Death Stranding in 3 years…and that’s as AAA as they come.

Respawn made Titanfall 2 (Campaign + MP) in 2 years. Less than 3 years for Jedi Fallen Order, and that was developed side by side with Apex Legends.

343 released Halo 5 3 years after Halo 4.
From what I am hearing about this game is of much bigger scale then those games, so I wouldn't compare Avowed with those games. For comparison Obsidian took 3 years to make Outer Worlds.
They are not in any pressure to release Avowed in 2022, with Starfield also meant to release next year. I personally think Fable will release before Avowed, and that game has been in development since 2017. Avowed should be a 2023-24 game with a 5-6 years dev cycle.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Ms needs to hold on to every IP with dear life. They got something amazing going on with AA with GP.
A few AAA hits would make all the difference and more.

Game will barely resemble the previous trailers though. Gonna be Sea of Thieves but on land.

Ozriel

M$FT
From what I am hearing about this game is of much bigger scale then those games, so I wouldn't compare Avowed with those games. For comparison Obsidian took 3 years to make Outer Worlds.
They are not in any pressure to release Avowed in 2022, with Starfield also meant to release next year. I personally think Fable will release before Avowed, and that game has been in development since 2017. Avowed should be a 2023-24 game with a 5-6 years dev cycle.

I’d be surprised if Avowed was bigger in scope than Death Stranding. Halo 5 also had Campaign + MP to consider and probably had a higher budget than Avowed will have.

The key thing we need to consider is that MS has a different first party need than their competitors. They need to feed Gamepass. You’ll recall their target of at least one AAA game per quarter when their production machine gets going.
MS would be perfectly happy to release Fable, Avowed and Hellblade 2 in the same year, among others. Just staggered a bit for the GP pipeline.

Gut feeling is Avowed in 2023, Outer Worlds 2 in 2024.

Bernkastel

I’d be surprised if Avowed was bigger in scope than Death Stranding.
It is.
Halo 5 also had Campaign + MP to consider and probably had a higher budget than Avowed will have.
Halo 5 was built on top of Halo 4 but Halo Infinite was built from scratch from the ground up. Avowed is not built on top of a previous game.
The key thing we need to consider is that MS has a different first party need than their competitors. They need to feed Gamepass. You’ll recall their target of at least one AAA game per quarter when their production machine gets going.
Game Pass is doing fine without any "feeding".
MS would be perfectly happy to release Fable, Avowed and Hellblade 2 in the same year, among others. Just staggered a bit for the GP pipeline.
This does not make any sense. Both Avowed and Fable are very big AAA projects, why would they force them to release in the same year? They will release separately preferably not in the same year.
Outer Worlds team released the second DLC in 2021 and many of them were pulled into Avowed after that. Again these things don't come out in 3 years.

I’d be surprised if Avowed was bigger in scope than Death Stranding. Halo 5 also had Campaign + MP to consider and probably had a higher budget than Avowed will have.

It has to be bigger in scope than Death Stranding. Kojima getting that done in three years is impressive in its own right, but he didn't set out to make a massive open world RPG like Obsidian is doing. He had a clear vision and story he wanted to tell

Avowed demands so much more by virtue of Its genre.

Last edited:

chonga

Of course.
OK, nice try, but you don't. You don't make video games, you make food as a chef.

'I'd like to see you do a better job' is what people say when they don't have a valid comeback.

Whether or not that poster could do a better job is not relevant to the facts. And if it were, it means you're no more qualified to comment then they are. Or is it that you can post commentary without the required experience, but only if is biased and positive? This is a discussion forum for all viewpoints, not a propaganda outlet.

OK, nice try, but you don't. You don't make video games, you make food as a chef.

'I'd like to see you do a better job' is what people say when they don't have a valid comeback.

Whether or not that poster could do a better job is not relevant to the facts. And if it were, it means you're no more qualified to comment then they are. Or is it that you can post commentary without the required experience, but only if is biased and positive? This is a discussion forum for all viewpoints, not a propaganda outlet.
Wouldn't you say that all relevant information on the subject is short on substance? Therefore making unsubstantiated claims on a projects development is pure folly.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Everwild wasn’t a game, and probably only got greenlit because MS saw all the hallmarks of a live service money maker. Cartoon visuals like Fortnite, creatures like Pokimon, focused on the “social”. I mean come on, they couldn’t even begin to explain what kind of game this would be with that trailer.

Riky

$MSFT
Yeah, I am thinking it might be like a spiritual successor to Viva Pinata with a persistent cloud based evolving world that friends can jump in and out of similar to Minecraft or Valheim

Hopefully we see something at E3, will show if the rumours are true or if the game is actually coming along ok.

Ozriel

M$FT

Source? Avowed probably has a bigger world, but DS had to pay actors and spend a ton on CG.
Possibly in the same ballpark.

Game Pass is doing fine without any "feeding".

Microsoft has stated clearly that they’ve acquired these additional studios for Gamepass content.
But I suppose you know more than Microsoft who told their investors that they plan to ship one major first party exclusive per quarter in Gamepass.

Imagine you claiming to know Microsoft’s endgame better than the company 😂

This does not make any sense. Both Avowed and Fable are very big AAA projects, why would they force them to release in the same year? They will release separately preferably not in the same year.

When did I use the word ‘force’? Is this a comprehension issue? I’m clearly implying that MS isn’t going to artificially delay games just so you get a yearly cadence of RPGs.

See my response above for why MS won’t mind releasing multiple big budget games in the same year.

Halo 5 was built on top of Halo 4 but Halo Infinite was built from scratch from the ground up. Avowed is not built on top of a previous game.

Still, They’re making a game set in the PoE universe, using an engine (UE) that they’re extremely familiar with.

Outer Worlds team released the second DLC in 2021 and many of them were pulled into Avowed after that. Again these things don't come out in 3 years.

Obsidian is set up to work Avowed, TOW2 and Grounded in parallel. Resources move around depending on each project’s respective stage of development.

BlackM1st

Banned
Yeah, I am thinking it might be like a spiritual successor to Viva Pinata with a persistent cloud based evolving world that friends can jump in and out of similar to Minecraft or Valheim
Why only spiritual tho? Viva Pinata deserves a direct sequel... Such an amazing and wholesome game.

Top Bottom