• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb confirms third-person Perfect Dark - Kinda Funny Games Daily Twitch chat 8/25

Alx

Surprised I didn't see this sooner. Perfect Dark was never third-person, so uh, maybe they shouldn't do that, lmao.

Perfect Dark Zero would switch to third person during dodging moves or when hiding behind a wall. IT doesn't really make it third person, but the concept isn't foreign to the game, and the devs seem to see some benefit to it or they wouldn't have included it.
Anyway if it's a spin-off they can do whatever they want with it. I do enjoy third person gameplay myself, it gives you a better view of your immediate surroundings, and givers better close quarter fighting options. Also makes you appreciate the design of your character.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I wouldn't even call Apex 'AAA'.... just more GAAS. I guess everything Xbox does now will be some type of GAAS mtx vehicle.
We already know that it is a single player game. The multiplayer portion is done by Coalition.
We are passionate about craft, creating stories, and building the next big thing in gaming
Also, are you saying that so far the games they have shown like Hellblade II, Avowed and Fable are all GAAS?

Bryank75

Banned
We already know that it is a single player game. The multiplayer portion is done by Coalition.

Also, are you saying that so far the games they have shown like Hellblade II, Avowed and Fable are all GAAS?
Hellblade doesn't look like a GAAS but the others I can't really tell right now. They were mostly CGI trailers, so I am just speculating but AC:Odyssey for instance had a lot of mtx's in it and was still single player.

One of them might be completely single player and no mtx at all. The other may have... have to see how it all pans out. I guess!?

MiguelItUp

Perfect Dark Zero would switch to third person during dodging moves or when hiding behind a wall. IT doesn't really make it third person, but the concept isn't foreign to the game, and the devs seem to see some benefit to it or they wouldn't have included it.
Anyway if it's a spin-off they can do whatever they want with it. I do enjoy third person gameplay myself, it gives you a better view of your immediate surroundings, and givers better close quarter fighting options. Also makes you appreciate the design of your character.
I legitimately forgot about that mechanic, but to be quite honest I preferred the original as opposed to Zero. The concept may not be foreign, true, but it wasn't THE primary perspective. I mean, I straight up forgot about it, lol.

True, but you could literally say that about anything. I mean, that'd be like making a Gears spin-off and making it a FPS. It'd be fine as a spin-off, but Gears fans would be taken back a bit. I certainly would imagine the same happening here. I get what you're saying, but Perfect Dark started as an FPS, so to suddenly make it a "full on" TPS would be kind of odd IMO.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
thumb_attention-whore-level-expert-attention-whore-meme-52670034.png

Is it just me or do those legs look detached from the body?

Concern

These guys don't care if their info is right or wrong. They just want to be first so they can get their 15 minutes of fame saying "i told you so".

I hope it doesn't veer off too far from what made Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark.

D3SCHA1N

3rd person?

Keep it in the dark then

Yeah, because Xbox is in dire need of more FPS games...

I legitimately forgot about that mechanic, but to be quite honest I preferred the original as opposed to Zero. The concept may not be foreign, true, but it wasn't THE primary perspective. I mean, I straight up forgot about it, lol.

True, but you could literally say that about anything. I mean, that'd be like making a Gears spin-off and making it a FPS. It'd be fine as a spin-off, but Gears fans would be taken back a bit. I certainly would imagine the same happening here. I get what you're saying, but Perfect Dark started as an FPS, so to suddenly make it a "full on" TPS would be kind of odd IMO.

What the guy is fumbling to try to say though is that it is NOT a perfect dark game, it's a different game set within the established PD "universe." No one consideres Apex Legends a titanfall game, but they share the same "universe". Gears tactics is completely divorced from the same gameplay as traditional gears games with a totally different perspective but were gears fans "taken back" by it? I didn't see much resistance to it and I'm looking forward to giving it a try once I can.

I hope it doesn't veer off too far from what made Perfect Dark, Perfect Dark.

That's just it though, if what this guy is claiming is true, it's not even a "Perfect Dark" game, it's a different game set within the same "universe" so they're free to veer as far off as they want whilst remaining within the confines of the universe. They're not (nor should they be expected to be) beholden to the same restrictions as though the intention was to create a Perfect Dark sequel, hence the alleged move to 3rd person for example. To me it's strange they'd even limit themselves to an established universe to begin with, which is why I hope it isn't even true, but I guess we'll see.

Warablo

I don't think any of Microsoft IP's have been successful with their micro transaction schemes so I highly doubt they are gonna double down on it even further, but I don't have any of the hard numbers.

Can't believe I missed this thread.

Interesting to see it's potentially 3rd person. I wonder what sort of systems that would lend itself to. Perhaps a more stealth oriented experience.

I don't want to write it off immediately but to me, PD has always been an FPS. Though I am excited that it is (hopefully) making a comeback.

It is quite humorous to think about all the quality IP Microsoft are just sitting on and doing nothing with. What I'd give for a modern Jet Force Gemini or a new Banjo. They've surely greenlit some projects utilising this incredible roster of series they've amassed for their new consoles, right??

oldergamer

I don't think any of Microsoft IP's have been successful with their micro transaction schemes so I highly doubt they are gonna double down on it even further, but I don't have any of the hard numbers.
There's no reason for this to be thought of as a GAAS game. The only reason people are saying that is a stupid comment early in the thread reaching for something negative to say about something xbox related ( shocker!). Yes MS has had a number of successful GAAS games. Forza games are GAAS games, and have done well. Halo 5 Multiplayer is GAAS, Gears 5 multiplayer is GAAS. Games that have grown multiplayer support years after the game has launched, have all turned into GAAS, but it doesn't mean the single player game has been lacking. Sure they have some multiplayer only focused games as GAAS too, but all that is beside the point.

This is simply a game in the same universe as perfect Dark, which isn't difficult to understand that is what Grub mentioned.

Last edited:
Perfect Dark is a FPS. If you're going to completely change the style then you may as well call it something else. Otherwise it seems this is more likely going to be like PD Zero, which nobody cares about.

Porcile

If it isn't an objective based FPS then it isn't Perfect Dark. It's a great franchise with great characters. Don't fuck with it.

MAtgS

Perfect Dark is a FPS. If you're going to completely change the style then you may as well call it something else. Otherwise it seems this is more likely going to be like PD Zero, which nobody cares about.
By that logic, Mario Kart, Mario RPG, & Mario Party should've been new IPs. Hell, Mario 64 apparently isn't a real Mario game because it ain't 2D :pie_eyeroll:

If it's still cyberpunk corporate espionage world with aliens & a hot redhead, it's still PD.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
there were plans of a third person perfect dark dating back to the early 2000s

Last edited by a moderator:

Flintty

Xbox won’t be short of FPS games this gen so taking Perfect Dark into the 3rd person stealth space would be perfect for me. Sometimes a change in direction is good (apparently so with God of War!).

oldergamer

Xbox won’t be short of FPS games this gen so taking Perfect Dark into the 3rd person stealth space would be perfect for me. Sometimes a change in direction is good (apparently so with God of War!).
THIS! I totally agree. We have enough first person shooter games. Give me more third person titles.

Top Bottom