• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grub: Sony acquiring Square Enix was the big rumor about the next potential Sony acquisition

I swear, the sheer desperation of that 180, within hours of it going public at retail chains and spreading thoughout Reddit, was palpable.

Phil must have had Vietnam flashbacks of 2013 "TV TV TV" levels of PR and pulled the plug ASAP. LMFAOOO
That was so bad that it had to be on purpose, maybe they were just after the good PR of reverting back to the original price or something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That was so bad that it had to be on purpose, maybe they were just after the good PR of reverting back to the original price or something.

Kenan Thompson Wow GIF by Saturday Night Live

I think what happened here was that the western SquareEnix studios begun acquisition talk and somewhere along the line news got out of that. Somehow Sony became attached to ‘SquareEnix’ is selling up and that is that.
I can’t imagine there’d be any leaks from the Japanese side, so I imagine the smoke came from the western arm.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think what happened here was that the western SquareEnix studios begun acquisition talk and somewhere along the line news got out of that. Somehow Sony became attached to ‘SquareEnix’ is selling up and that is that.
I can’t imagine there’d be any leaks from the Japanese side, so I imagine the smoke came from the western arm.
Yeah, I, too, think this is exactly what happened.

At this stage, to be honest, I don't even know if Sony should acquire SquareEnix. Personally, I was more excited about this acquisition to see how Sony can revitalize their Western studios that have been performing poorly as well as some of the older IPs (Sleeping Dogs, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, etc.).

As that's no longer on the table, from Sony's perspective, I think it'd a better idea to just make KH4 and DQ exclusives as they already have Final Fantasy exclusive to PlayStation. That's pretty much the entire SE output at this stage. And use that acquisition money to get someone like Capcom if they are selling.

At this stage, to be honest, I don't even know if Sony should acquire SquareEnix. Personally, I was more excited about this acquisition to see how Sony can revitalize their Western studios that have been performing poorly as well as some of the older IPs (Sleeping Dogs, Legacy of Kain, Deus Ex, etc.).

As that's no longer on the table, from Sony's perspective, I think it'd a better idea to just make KH4 and DQ exclusives as they already have Final Fantasy exclusive to PlayStation. That's pretty much the entire SE output at this stage. And use that acquisition money to get someone like Capcom if they are selling.
Indeed. They’ll never not get those big games so it doesn’t make sense unless they want to make them exclusive, but with their budgets they need to be Multiplatform in some instances.

Capcom would be the better get as there is more synergy with EVO and VR there. Plus I think the IP is more diverse.

yazenov

The strategy works well until the completion outbids you (Tomb Rider 1 year exclusive on Xbox) or the competition outright buys the publisher (Activision Blizzard).

You can't rely on securing timed exclusive in the current climate when your competition are shopping around. The best solution is to secure SE before anyone else buys them since Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and other dormant SE Ips are valuable to Sony. Imagine Final Fantasy timed exclusive to other consoles? Not good for Sony. Also securing timed exclusives will become more expensive if your console isn't dominant unit wise like the PS4 out of the gate.

Once Sony acquires SE, they could leverage their IPs into their other segments as well other than games such as Sony music, Sony pictures, Anime and so forth.

The other advantage is preventing SE catalogue of games from coming to Gamepass and Nintendo systems. No more Final Fantasy, Dragon quest and Nier Automata ect.. On the completion systems. It would increase the value of Sony's console and devalue the completion's platforms.

Last edited:
Let's face it...now all or almost all of Square Enix games coming out are already Sony exclusive even if timed.

I'm sure the money they have spent so far on FF VIIR alone was astronomical already.

The one genre Sony doesn't produce is jrpgs. And it's clear it's important for them to have that and having Square Enix exclusives is a priority.

I really can't imagine Greg and Jeff mistaking Sony buying Square Enix with the western division being sold to Embrace. Unless Sony tried to buy those studios as well why would Sony be a part of the conversation?

I still think something is happening closer to their call next week. Either Monday or during next week. But who knows...

Last edited:

There are still some legacy Square & Enix IP that some cool stuff could be done with though. Parasite Eve, Einhander, Chrono series, Actraiser series (and adjacent), Tobal, Ergheiz, etc.

Sony don't really need to acquire SE to do something with these IP, though; just co-fund development of new installments. That's an option, anyway.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony will probably buy Square Enix. Now they’ve shed the less useful parts from a Sony perspective, they’ll move in and re establish a proper ”japanese wing” of their internal studios outside of Team Asobi and Polyphony.

Crystal Dynamics being called the less useful wing is heart breaking.

Maybe...but multiple people hearing this from multiple sources...who knows.

But yeah I wouldn't be shocked if randomly Microsoft announced this acquisition lmao
Wouldn't be surprise if one is the source of the other. I just don't trust any leakers at this point they never get the big things right and when something true leaks we don't even realize, it's usually in some weird way buy someone no one puts any faith into, it's never Jeff Grub.

At best Jeff Grub gets some MS leaks right because they leak it to him on purpose for his PR work, not unlike that Tom Warren guy.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Sony will probably buy Square Enix. Now they’ve shed the less useful parts from a Sony perspective, they’ll move in and re establish a proper ”japanese wing” of their internal studios outside of Team Asobi and Polyphony.
What's the point? I can't imagine they change their distribution. Sony already gets all their games (except for those AA games they release on switch). And those games as well as dq will continue to release on switch. So what's the point?

Damn it. It’s happening.
Capcom would be the better get as there is more synergy with EVO and VR there. Plus I think the IP is more diverse.
Once I heard Capcom was raising salaries, Im like they are making it harder to be bought. Once Square was cutting fat, I was like SHIT. 20 different rpgs here we go.

I rather see Megaman made by Insomniac.

Lognor

Banned
Capcom isn't happening. The gutted SE is likely the large acquisition, if the rumors were ever true to begin with. Nothing to get excited about. Better than bungie but ehhh not a big ff fan.

TidusYuna

Capcom isn't happening. The gutted SE is likely the large acquisition, if the rumors were ever true to begin with. Nothing to get excited about. Better than bungie but ehhh not a big ff fan.

If you aren't excited about SE's IPs, I think Square Enix has 2 games left in the Marvel licensing deal. So maybe a remade Marvel Avengers in collaboration with Insomniac is possible. Maybe even a tie in with Spiderman.

I remember reading the original SE Marvel deal was for 4 games somewhere. They did Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, 2 left.

Lognor

Banned
If you aren't excited about SE's IPs, I think Square Enix has 2 games left in the Marvel licensing deal. So maybe a remade Marvel Avengers in collaboration with Insomniac is possible. Maybe even a tie in with Spiderman.

I remember reading the original SE Marvel deal was for 4 games somewhere. They did Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, 2 left.
Yes...IF they give it to insomniac, but that's a big it. Insomniac has way too much they're working on already. They can't take on another massive AAA game, or at least not anytime soon. And SE sold off the devs that made avengers and gotg. Recent SE output has been very poor. Not much faith in them anymore. If you like ff you're probably in good hands, but that's about it.

This is definitely not happening.

And I don't think it should. I don't think the current Cali Sony mixes well with SE's philosophsies in general.

I'd be more ok with Nintendo or even MS buying SE than Sony right now.
Good point, but SquareEnix has been censoring and seemingly changing their ideologies as well lately with their ethics department. Chrono Cross was the most recent victim. SquareEnix unfortunately seems to be adopting similar philosophies as Sony and that scares me.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Big Sony show showing FF16 plus announcing Square aquisition would blow the roof off. Do I want them to aquire them? Not really since I am now both a ps and xbox slut, since getting a Series S. Besides then I would rather MS would own them, cause that means free in game pass.

Last edited:

Amiga

Hope they bring back Sakaguchi to run the mainline FF franchise. Numura games were average to good, no greats.

TidusYuna

Yes...IF they give it to insomniac, but that's a big it. Insomniac has way too much they're working on already. They can't take on another massive AAA game, or at least not anytime soon. And SE sold off the devs that made avengers and gotg. Recent SE output has been very poor. Not much faith in them anymore. If you like ff you're probably in good hands, but that's about it.

I mean, if Square Enix is bought up by Sony, it is a no brainer. They will collab with one of Sony' first party studios for the Marvel games because SE's Japanese Devs are all busy and SE no longer have their western dev teams. & it doesn't have to be Insomniac either, majority of Sony's first party is capable. Wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog gets a Punisher game.

OsirisBlack

Banned

Octopath traveler says hi. SE still drops some seriously good games but most of them are on Nintendo's platform. IF Sony were to purchase SE I am not sure how that would play out for Nintendo. Some of those titles are very very good.

CosmicComet

Good point, but SquareEnix has been censoring and seemingly changing their ideologies as well lately with their ethics department. Chrono Cross was the most recent victim. SquareEnix unfortunately seems to be adopting similar philosophies as Sony and that scares me.
What did Square do with Chrono Cross?

I'm playing the remaster and havent noticed any changes just yet.

I remember the ethics department talk during FF7 remake but it was overblown.

Tifa is as busty as ever. They just gave her a visible black sports bra underneath her top because they thought it made sense from an athletic design standpoint. And Scarlet? Gawd DAMN they didn't hold back a damn thing with her. She might be the single hottest FF female character as of the Remake.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Square would never join PS Studios. They’d just be a subsidiary of SIE like Bungie. They’d report to Jimbo, not Hulst.

Not that it’s even gonna happen, tho.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
im absolutely completely ed inexorably fine with final fantasy being ps (and PC?) exclusive. who care ..I don't buy a FF from the original ff7 release. Go ahead and buy what remain of SE sony

Last edited:

Fredrik

Crystal Dynamics being called the less useful wing is heart breaking.
”from a Sony perspective” it might be. Avengers wasn’t the success they hoped for even with the Spidey pull, MS has a multi year contract job for Perfect Dark, PS fans were hating on Rise of the Tomb Raider when it wasn’t on PS at launch and I doubt the late port sold well on PS4, Shadow had some traction as well. The numbers might actually show it’s not an important studio.

But I agree, CD are great and for me Tomb Raider were the most important IP Square Enix owned. I’m just glad TR didn’t get stuck on PS, best news all year after all the speculations that Sony would swallow it all. I’m not all that excited for their Perfect Dark work as of now, just not a fan of first person shooters. But I can’t wait to see what CD can do with Tomb Raider on UE5, lead platform should be PC this time.

reksveks

Question for anyone......would an SE buyout cause the FTC to investigate? Just wondering since both companies are Japanese.
My understanding is basically it is more dependent on where the company does business and where their employees are. Less so specifically about where the company is incorporated.

Rykan

What did Square do with Chrono Cross?

I'm playing the remaster and havent noticed any changes just yet.

I remember the ethics department talk during FF7 remake but it was overblown.

Tifa is as busty as ever. They just gave her a visible black sports bra underneath her top because they thought it made sense from an athletic design standpoint. And Scarlet? Gawd DAMN they didn't hold back a damn thing with her. She might be the single hottest FF female character as of the Remake.
They made some incredibly minor changes. The changes are so small that I find it quite ridiculous that people are even upset over them.

You can find the changes here.

Last edited:

kevm3

Back in the day I would have been ecstatic with Sony buying Square, but given Sony's current agenda driven design, I'm not so sure I'd want this...

In FF7 remake 2, Tifa would probably have a goatee and they'd extend the cross dressing portion to the whole game.

Fredrik

im absolutely completely ed inexorably fine with final fantasy being ps (and PC?) exclusive. who care ..I don't buy a FF from the original ff7 release. Go ahead and buy what remain of SE sony
Yeah FF is already a Playstation IP as I see it, fans have already adapted I think, from a FF perspective an acquisition is a nothing burger at this point.

But they have other IPs, Switch-only owners would be the big losers, SE has released lots of popular games there. I wonder what Sony would do there, it’s lots of money lost to just cut it off. Maybe they keep releasing games on Switch to not lose the relatively big Japanese market?

Furball

Yeah FF is already a Playstation IP as I see it, fans have already adapted I think, from a FF perspective an acquisition is a nothing burger at this point.

But they have other IPs, Switch-only owners would be the big losers, SE has released lots of popular games there. I wonder what Sony would do there, it’s lots of money lost to just cut it off. Maybe they keep releasing games on Switch to not lose the relatively big Japanese market?

Not only Switch owner but I think many side IP like Star Ocean , Valkyrie , Live A Live , TWYWY , Saga ,.... going to get Axe hard . Dragon quest will be interesting , Horri may break exclusive contract with SE if they get bought by Sony

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not only Switch owner but I think many side IP like Star Ocean , Valkyrie , Live A Live , TWYWY , Saga ,.... going to get Axe hard . Dragon quest will be interesting , Horri may break exclusive contract with SE if they get bought by Sony

Nintendo isn't conflicting directly with Sony. I doubt Sony would hold these games off Nintendo, but expect them to come to PS as well.

Furball

Nintendo isn't conflicting directly with Sony. I doubt Sony would hold these games off Nintendo, but expect them to come to PS as well.

Problem they wont bother funding those IP like current SE . They will just focus all on FF & KH

Last edited:

Fredrik

Aren’t those IPs extremely niche if you exclude Switch and Playstation? Maybe Dragon Quest has some fans now after Gamepass idk 🤷‍♂️

Furball

Aren’t those IPs extremely niche if you exclude Switch and Playstation? Maybe Dragon Quest has some fans now after Gamepass idk 🤷‍♂️
Dragon quest still sell massive on Nintendo compare to PS and the owner like Nintendo platform .

Those IP is niche so the chance those get kill off are high . Some of them come to PC and some of them sell better on Switch right now . Acquisition will only hurt fan of other IP aside FF

Last edited:

yazenov

Dragon quest still sell massive on Nintendo compare to PS and the owner like Nintendo platform .

Those IP is niche so the chance those get kill off are high . Some of them come to PC and some of them sell better on Switch right now . Acquisition will only hurt fan of other IP aside FF

Some of those niche Ips didnt even come to PS for some reason (funded by Nintendo maybe)? such as Octopath traveler, Bravely default, and Triangle Strategy.

Other than Dragon Quest, I dont see any relevant losses for SE if they were bought by Sony. Dragon quest might not be exclusive but the other huge selling games skip Nintendo consoles anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom