• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Garlin Removed from The Goldbergs After 'Misconduct': He Said the Word 'Vagina'

ManaByte

Referring to his character on the sitcom, he said, “A lot of days on ‘The Goldbergs,’ I sit in a Barcalounger in tighty whities for the whole day, and I think to myself, ‘Who did I blow to get this job?’” With a loud laugh, he added that every time he stands up from the Barcalounger, he always says the same joke on-set: “‘Ah, my vagina. Ah, achy vagina. Ah, my vagina’s killing me.’”

In the Netflix special, Garlin said that joke led to a HR complaint from an offended crew member. “I get called in, and they go, ‘Look, you can’t do this.’ And I go, ‘Oh yes, I can.’ They go, ‘You might get fired.’ I go, ‘I’d love to be fired and have it hit the papers: Cover of TMZ: ‘Jeff Garlin Fired Because His Vagina Hurts.’”

“I’m on a comedy. I’m a comedian. Let’s get over. I don’t have a vagina. I think everyone knows that,” Garlin said on Netflix, which echoed the same sentiment in his recent standup.

Sandra Bullock Films Action GIF

trikster40

Honestly, the show has been on a downward trend for me lately. Loved the first 5-6 seasons, but the jokes are getting stale and reused over and over. Time to let it go into the sunset before it becomes total garbage.

You can tell the last few seasons that Garlin hasn’t really been into it.

AJUMP23

The firing offense was him walking up to the person that complained and saying "vagina" repeatedly to their face. I think it is pretty juvenile to act that way in what is a professional environment. The other statement was that he was notoriously difficult to work with on set and added a lot of tension. I take the second part with a grain of salt as that is jut personality, but treating a co-worker like he did and antagonizing them is pretty bad.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The firing offense was him walking up to the person that complained and saying "vagina" repeatedly to their face. I think it is pretty juvenile to act that way in what is a professional environment. The other statement was that he was notoriously difficult to work with on set and added a lot of tension. I take the second part with a grain of salt as that is jut personality, but treating a co-worker like he did and antagonizing them is pretty bad.
Did he really? Like did some say that or is there proof?

idk either way except for cry babies crying about every thing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sounds like he threw his weight around and demeaned the staff knowing that they couldn't do anything about it. Kind of a dick move.

AJUMP23

Did he really? Like did some say that or is there proof?

idk either way except for cry babies crying about every thing.
The report from deadline said he held the persons head with his hands and repeatedly said Vagina at them. Started with a whisper and got louder and louder.

DEADLINE:According to a source on the show, a camera assistant made a complaint to her department head about Garlin’s use of the word. After the actor found out, he reportedly put his hands around her and kept saying “vagina” in her face over and over again. Overall, Garlin’s go-to jokes that a number of people on the show found offensive were talking about grandma’s vagina, balls and brassier, a co-worker said. Additionally, he would not address some longtime female crew members by name, using instead nicknames that some also considered offensive.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Thaedolus

Nah going to HR over his "my achy vagina" joke is stupid. That snowflake kind of deserved the triggering for being so fucking retarded.
Yeah but there are very few workplaces in the world that will just let something slide when your attitude is “oh yeah? How about THIS?!”

The initial incident was relatively harmless, but it sounds like that’s not why he was fired, just why he got an initial talking to

Stitch

Gold Member
Garlin out, pops dead, kids way too old. I'm sure Sony can squeeze at least one more season out of this.

Thaedolus

So is the person that complained originally. Anyone who complains about some man joking his vagina is itchy is an asshole.

Sure. It’s definitely possible for two people to be in the wrong, but the way he dealt with the initial offense from that person sounds highly unprofessional and basically dared them to fire him. Well, fucked around and found out I guess

I am absolutely crying of laughter that someone found the word vagina offensive. Really? I bet that same person goes home and watches teenagers getting brutally murdered in movies with their boobies hanging out and has no problem with it (not that anyone does, but, this is an example for the argument here).

AJUMP23

If I walked around my work and said vagina all the time I would be fired. If I had a coworker doing it, I would ask them to stop, but I wouldn’t go to HR. this case seems to be a firing with cause. In my opinion.

If I walked around my work and said vagina all the time I would be fired. If I had a coworker doing it, I would ask them to stop, but I wouldn’t go to HR. this case seems to be a firing with cause. In my opinion.
You would ask someone to stop saying vagina at work? You would be fired for saying vagina? Do you work at a preschool? Grow up and join the adults man. People say a lot worse shit than the word vagina in professional environments. Like all the time. People say shit and fuck and damn and asshole. Do you work with other human beings?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

You would ask someone to stop saying vagina at work? You would be fired for saying vagina? Do you work at a preschool? Grow up and join the adults man. People say a lot worse shit than the word vagina in professional environments. Like all the time. People say shit and fuck and damn and asshole. Do you work with other human beings?
Not in my professional environment. You would get hit with harassment. It isn’t about growing up, it is about having respect for those around you. People that get off in talking about genitalia are not the mature crowd.

We were told at my work just a few weeks ago we are no longer allowed to swear because one uppity bitch complained about it. We still swear, just not around her. All it takes is one sensitive pussy in 2021 to whine about something they can just choose to ignore. I can understand if we were standing around, planning a murder, but, swearing, that doesn't hurt anyone. I have a hard time living on this planet of softies.

I mean if he wanted to be antagonistic he could've been smarter about it. He could've went straight to HR and said "my vagina really is itchy. Or are you telling me I don't have one?" Instead he did what a 5 year old would do. Not the smartest.

Not in my professional environment. You would get hit with harassment. It isn’t about growing up, it is about having respect for those around you. People that get off in talking about genitalia are not the mature crowd.
I work in a hospital. Literal life and death. We curse all the time. People talk about their sex lives and laugh about things you can’t even imagine. If someone complained because we used the word “vagina” they would be ostracized. Because in a environment like a hospital, if you’re so fragile that the word vagina gets you worked up, you aren’t fit to work there. A “mature” person doesn’t go to HR because someone used the word vagina.

AJUMP23

I work in a hospital. Literal life and death. We curse all the time. People talk about their sex lives and laugh about things you can’t even imagine. If someone complained because we used the word “vagina” they would be ostracized. Because in a environment like a hospital, if you’re so fragile that the word vagina gets you worked up, you aren’t fit to work there. A “mature” person doesn’t go to HR because someone used the word vagina.
I wouldn't go to HR. I work in an engineering environment, we don't talk about genitals ever in my experience. We don't have a need to. But it may just be me, people may only talk about video games and movies around me.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There's more about his behavior on set in the following article, written after his Vanity Fair interview (which was on December 3rd) when people began contacting Deadline on condition of anonymity, and prior to the article in OP, which seems to leave out a lot

An industry worker with experience also came out of the woodwork on Reddit (grain of salt and all but seems legit from their history):

The guy just sounds like an asshole. In any case he's old and rich anyway, I assume he's beyond the point of caring about being cancelled.

Last edited:
The report from deadline said he held the persons head with his hands and repeatedly said Vagina at them. Started with a whisper and got louder and louder.

Sounds like he got fired for putting his hands on a co-worker. Fuck him.

Edit: And just saying "vagina" over and over again isn't a joke. I don't think that should be fireable in itself, but it doesn't sound like we've lost anything of value.

Last edited:

ManaByte

There's more about his behavior on set in the following article, written after his Vanity Fair interview (which was on December 3rd) when people began contacting Deadline on condition of anonymity, and prior to the article in OP, which seems to leave out a lot

An industry worker with experience also came out of the woodwork on Reddit (grain of salt and all but seems legit from their history):

The guy just sounds like an asshole. In any case he's old and rich anyway, I assume he's beyond the point of caring about being cancelled.

OMFG "inappropriate jokes". These people can go fuck themselves. They're why comedy is dying.

Top Bottom