• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Bozos Adds Record $13 Billion in Single Day to Fortune (His Ex-wife earned $4.6 Billion in a single-day as well for no good reason other than...)

Neo_Geo

Banned
What do people even buy from Amazon now? I stopped ordering most things that aren't official a long time ago when I ordered a bottle holder for my bike and the bottle had a note that warned me of the taste and to use baking soda and lemon to remove it.

It's basically Wish.com with better shipping now.

Why the fuck are you buying used piss bottles from Amazon? Get those on eBay, you moron.

Amory

Would it not benefit Jeff to just have her offed? Fucking leech.
How do you think Amazon became Amazon? The guy didn't summon an empire into existence overnight through sheer force of will. And he wasn't always "BILLIONAIRE JEFF BEZOS". Go back far enough and he was just some nerdy tool named Jeff. And some lady was kind enough to marry him and put up with his crazy bullshit and help tape up shipping boxes and keep inventory and make hires and all that other crap. And, oh yeah, raise the kids.

And the company grew and grew and then Jeff decided it was time to send pictures of his billion dollar penis to some other woman, so his wife took 25% of the shares of the company she helped build and now she's committed to giving most of that away. What a terrible gold digger amirite

YCoCg

Remember everyone, when someone asks how Amazon got as successful as it has, tell them because his wife loved him at the time. She basically started Amazon.
Perspective is a thing, people in this thread are acting like she's a gold digger when she was married to him long before Amazon was a hit, she even helped and supported him when he was still chasing this dream. People also seem to forget it was his fault they divorced.

nkarafo

I can't comprehend such obscene amounts of money. Just the 1/178.000 of his money would make someone a millionaire. Pay all their depts, their kids education, their medical bills for the rest of their lives and a comfortable life without a soul crushing 9-5 day job. Just his pocket change would completely secure the whole life for someone. It fills me with envy.

NahaNago

On some level he was able to achieve what he was able to because she was (presumably) looking after the kids. If it was money he made before they were married that would be one thing. But she was there before that.

I'm pretty sure a nanny would cost a lot less.

Good on him. He deserves every cent. Fuck the jealous haters. Everybody would love to be in his position.

The fact is not everybody is cut out to be in his position even if they did luck their way into it. I’m one of them. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night knowing how my employees are treated and the kind of working conditions they have to deal with while getting paid hilarious wages in addition to all that. Doesn’t seem to bother Bezos though as long as those billions keep rolling in.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Good on him. He deserves every cent. Fuck the jealous haters. Everybody would love to be in his position.
There's a certain point where you get so wealthy that it's probably not worth it. Tycoons like Bezos and Musk are in it for their egos at this point, and most normal people would probably peace out after a few million. The stress of running these large corps, the media and political pressure, not to mention the security risks probably outweigh the benefits of having this much money.

Last edited:

Keihart

well i mean....is there any other practical reason for marriage besides forming something similar to a company with your significant other? the whole point of marriage has always being sharing wealth to support a family, i mean , sure, we now associate it with love and stuff, but that's pretty "modern" and the contract does shit to give you love.

YCoCg

Again, HE'S THE ONE WHO CHEATED, and he's the one who agreed to this divorce on quick terms, why are soo many of you here completely salty that she gets a cut? Yes divorce terms can sometimes screw over men but in this instance he was in the wrong and he agreed to not fight this, and even at the end of the day, despite his ex-wife getting a cut, he still earns more taking a piss than most of us will do in our lifetime, he aint no victim.

luffie

I didn't say the virus is a hoax, I said the lockdown is.
What a retard, the virus spreads because people doesn't follow the lockdown due to retarded mindset like yours. Other countries who have obeyed the lockdown have achieved positive results.
Your "left wing" media isn't the only media in the world, but with mindset like yours, i bet you only watch "right wing" media.

Super Mario

Banned
Perspective is a thing, people in this thread are acting like she's a gold digger when she was married to him long before Amazon was a hit, she even helped and supported him when he was still chasing this dream. People also seem to forget it was his fault they divorced.

I think it is important people know that she was married to him for 25 years. However, he was not a poor man then either. He was a Senior VP of a hedge fund while she was a research associate. Doesn't necessarily support the notion that she wasn't a gold-digger.

I think what people are most unsettled by is she is now one of the richest people in the history of America for being a housewife. There are easily 100+ people at Amazon who have greatly contributed to Amazon's current net worth, yet fairness in this country is giving assets to a woman in divorce.

YCoCg

There are easily 100+ people at Amazon who have greatly contributed to Amazon's current net worth, yet fairness in this country is giving assets to a woman in divorce.
And who's fault is that? She's donating most of her money and investing into charitable causes, where as Mr Bezos, the one who can help said Amazon employees, is just squandering his money, isn't he building some giant clock in a mountain?

llien

On some level he was able to achieve what he was able to because she was (presumably) looking after the kids. If it was money he made before they were married that would be one thing. But she was there before that.
If woman looking after kids would produce billionairs, we would have much higher number of them at this point.
Replace him with any of the 99.9999% of men living on this planet, there would be no amazon.
Replace her with any non criminally crazy woman, hardly anything would change.

How do you think Amazon became Amazon?
The way Elon Musk has become Elon Musk or Steve Jobs become Steve Jobs or Bill Gates has become Bill Gates. With natural genius, some luck, lots of energy and readiness to take the risks.

Go back far enough and he was just some nerdy tool named Jeff. And some lady was kind enough to marry him and put up with his crazy bullshit and help tape up shipping boxes and keep inventory and make hires and all that other crap. And, oh yeah, raise the kids.
Cool story, bruh. Glorifying looking after kids aside, he was quite rich by the time she married him already.

And for raising kids, when you are filthy rich: there is a wonderful documentary "Queen of Versailles", in which former Ms Some State and also a wife of a billionaire talks about her planning to have 2 kids or so at most and ending up with 9 (or more, doesn't matter). "Back then, I didn't realize how easy it is to raise kids, when you have nannies". Uh....

I don't have issues with gender symmetric laws letting spouse of 25 years to get some of the fortune, even though there is a major gender gap at who actually gets it. But attempts to justify it as some sort of heavenly fairness with imaginary contributions are ridiculous.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Remember everyone, when someone asks how Amazon got as successful as it has, tell them because his wife loved him at the time. She basically started Amazon.

It's like when people argue that the factory line workers are directly responsible for the corporation's success and should get way more of the profits.

Or slaves built the whole country

Blade2.0

If woman looking after kids would produce billionairs, we would have much higher number of them at this point.
Replace him with any of the 99.9999% of men living on this planet, there would be no amazon.
Replace her with any non criminally crazy woman, hardly anything would change.
Lol, this is dumb as fuck. If it wasn't bezos there'd be someone else. These guys don't exist in a vacuum. All humans are expendable. Never forget that.

llien

Lol, this is dumb as fuck. If it wasn't bezos there'd be someone else.

giphy.gif

Dr Kaneda

The way Elon Musk has become Elon Musk or Steve Jobs become Steve Jobs or Bill Gates has become Bill Gates. With natural genius, some luck, lots of energy and readiness to take the risks.
"Some luck"? Lmao. Luck is the biggest factor. Their are plenty of people that are have far more natural genius, energy and propensity for risk than the guys you listed and you don't even achieve 1/100000th of the success they had.

llien

I think what people are most unsettled by is she is now one of the richest people in the history of America for being a housewife. There are easily 100+ people at Amazon who have greatly contributed to Amazon's current net worth, yet fairness in this country is giving assets to a woman in divorce.

Even low primates seem to grasp concept of fairness.

Situation 1:
Somewhere in Italy, young men and young woman get married. Have 5 kids together. She stays home looking after them. In late 40s they divorce. She says: "all my career was looking after my family, how am I supposed to earn for the living now?" This is how concept of alimony was born, to fix something in our lives that was utterly unfair.

Situation 2:
Rich individual marries person A. Person A doesn't need to work anymore, so he/she (as you'd have guessed, in 99%+ it's she) enjoys his/her life, doing nothing. Couple of years later, after divorce, person A is entitled to a major chunk of the rich individual's wealth. This doesn't feel fair.

It doesn't feel fair even if you bring in the wife from #1. Staying at home and raising kids is in no way adequate contribution to be compensated with tens of millions of bucks. E.g. Korbyn Briant, 3/4th of his wealth went to his wife. It's as far from fair, as it gets.

Contrary to what I'd expect, Netherlands are actually addressing the unfairness of the situation #2

llien

Luck is the biggest factor.

I need receipts. Even theoretical out of the ass ones would do. Pick any of the three and let's talk about concrete instances of that utter luck that they've had.
Gates has set new math record of his state, was rocking with computers as a teenager, could work for hours and hours, by the time IBM was looking for a company that would write an OS for them, has founded one of the most successful IT companies in US.
Musk's fortune is largely SpaceX (you need to read the salty comments by Russian's working in aerospace industry to realize how batshit crazy he is) and Tesla, the latter was even founded without him, but it was only with him that things suddenly started working, appealing products were rolled out, production costs sunk significantly.
Jobs... uh, compare Apple with him to Apple without him. Luck, my arse.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
Even low primates seem to grasp concept of fairness.

Situation 1:
Somewhere in Italy, young men and young woman get married. Have 5 kids together. She stays home looking after them. In late 40s they divorce. She says: "all my career was looking after my family, how am I supposed to earn for the living now?" This is how concept of alimony was born, to fix something in our lives that was utterly unfair.

Situation 2:
Rich individual marries person A. Person A doesn't need to work anymore, so he/she (as you'd have guessed, in 99%+ it's she) enjoys his/her life, doing nothing. Couple of years later, after divorce, person A is entitled to a major chunk of the rich individual's wealth. This doesn't feel fair.

It doesn't feel fair even if you bring in the wife from #1. Staying at home and raising kids is in no way adequate contribution to be compensated with tens of millions of bucks. E.g. Korbyn Briant, 3/4th of his wealth went to his wife. It's as far from fair, as it gets.

Contrary to what I'd expect, Netherlands are actually addressing the unfairness of the situation #2

While I'm somewhat sympathetic to situation #1, it is still largely overplayed. The man bears all risk in finance. If he has money, he needs to share. If he loses it all, it's on him to fix. A man doesn't get an alimony check when he stops working because he was used to income. Raising a child for 18 years is no pension program.

We're far behind trying to get a woman to land on her feet. Decades of pandering to women have left men in a no win scenario.

llien

The man bears all risk in finance. If he has money, he needs to share. If he loses it all, it's on him to fix.
This is true, but note that man getting adventurous about family finances without spouse consent is not fair either. And if she is on board, it could be formally signed off and would include responsibility.

A man doesn't get an alimony check when he stops working because he was used to income.
I don't know any country in the world where alimony laws are not gender symmetric.
I read that in UK men are normally successfully shamed into refusing to take it (I think 8 out of 10), but that's in their hands, after all.

Decades of pandering to women have left men in a no win scenario
Well, why:
1) prenups (Trump?)
2) not marrying at all (Musk)

Not no win, but disadvantaged by default and, I think, much more important aspect of it is child custody/access to kids, rather than financials.

Top Bottom