• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier & Jez Corden: Halo Infinite DLC Cancellation Rumors Are False - There were never any DLCs planned. Game focus was always on GaaS

feynoob

Banned
Halo biggest mistake was making it 10 year plan, instead of actually delivering the old halo.

The game needs to be given to different studio, and just send 343i to oblivion.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's not. It's like getting punched in the dick versus getting kicked in the dick - both are unfavorable, unless you're a masochist.

Which is coincidentally what I'd call a Halo fan at this point.
It was a shit for either outcome.

A) No dlc means game is basically dead.
b)DLC cancelation suggests the game has no legs to stand.

I still cant understand why MS let them continue this shit after their halo 5 debacle.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Either the ten year plan is failing, or the next game will have a new campaign and online merged with Infinite.

Tbh I think the 10 year plan was shut down a long time ago.

The studio can barely pop out fast online content, and the game had such a strong momentum its insane.

BabyYoda

Banned
It just gets worse and worse. For me the campaign was an embarrassment, it wasn't even 10% of what was promised during that reveal trailer and was bare bones , unfun, samey and completely uninspired. What a travesty!! Didn't try the mp, as arena shooters were fun 20 years ago.

Jez Corden can go kick rocks. He always waits until another, more credible insider comes out before piggybacking off them like a hanger-on. Just stop pretending already, my guy. You don't have connections like that, we can tell.

IDC how to really interpret what's being said here. Did 343i genuinely only intend for a single campaign story event for the entire 10 years of Halo Infinite's existence? Other live-service shooters like Destiny 2, VALORANT, Apex Legends etc. have story expansions every season or so, why would Halo not? I guess they could do that via cinematics tied to new season expansions like those games tend to. Still seems odd though, especially since MP will introduce biomes not in the campaign, don't you want to rationalize those across the whole product for sake of consistency?

Anyway, this is only pertaining to the campaign DLC, which wasn't even the biggest thing about the 343i situation IMHO. That would be them likely shifting down into a support & consultation studio, which still seems very likely given the recent events. Producing live-service MP content could just be them doing so in a production sense, with more limited creative input for all we know, while some other external team like Certain Affinity takes the lead on the creative side.

The truth will come out through actions over time.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They should give Halo SP to The Coalition. Make a full ring open world Halo game in UE4 UE5.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Halo has never had single player dlc in its history. Why start now?

0f09c8324c70d1cdcb4839c3f8b596bad5811507.png
One could argue that ODST was stand-alone DLC for Halo 3.
And yes stand alone DLC is a thing.
We even used to get stand alone expansion packs that didnt need you to have the base game.

IDC how to really interpret what's being said here. Did 343i genuinely only intend for a single campaign story event for the entire 10 years of Halo Infinite's existence? Other live-service shooters like Destiny 2, VALORANT, Apex Legends etc. have story expansions every season or so, why would Halo not?

While I think you make a very compelling argument, it's quite possible that they scrapped plans for any SP DLC because the main campaign's development was such a clusterfuck that they knew they wouldn't be able to deliver campaign content at a reasonable cadence.

Even Bungie took years to move into the seasonal model, with all that time spent re-architecting their engine, dev tools, and asset toolchain to be able to achieve the seasonal model that they seem to be able to do so effortlessly now.

With everything we heard about Halo: Infinite's initial development, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they scrapped plans because they just acknowledged that 343i is a mess.

Also, wasn't the MP developed by a completely different team?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean its possible it was just disgruntle employee or fanboy gibberish .

The bigger question is..... who cares?

Lol at jez piggy backing off Jason. He's still trying to play the insider like he actually has sources when we all know he doesn't.

Last edited:

jakinov

How on earth do you build a GaaS title built around cosmetics you'll never fucking see during gameplay.
That’s not an issue. You do see some of the cosmetics as you play and you see everything at death, start and end. There are other FPS with millions or billions in revenue from cosmetics.

I'm calling bullshit on this. I could have sworn in an interview or something 343 said there were plans to release single-player DLC later on.

Welp, they filed something for Halo: The Endless back in 2021 and one of its descriptions was "downloadable game content" aka DLC.

But it's hard to say if that's for a story expansion or not. For all we know, it could've been abandoned almost immediately afterwards.

While I think you make a very compelling argument, it's quite possible that they scrapped plans for any SP DLC because the main campaign's development was such a clusterfuck that they knew they wouldn't be able to deliver campaign content at a reasonable cadence.

Even Bungie took years to move into the seasonal model, with all that time spent re-architecting their engine, dev tools, and asset toolchain to be able to achieve the seasonal model that they seem to be able to do so effortlessly now.

With everything we heard about Halo: Infinite's initial development, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they scrapped plans because they just acknowledged that 343i is a mess.

Also, wasn't the MP developed by a completely different team?

Yeah, the MP for Halo Infinite is being handled by a wholly different team within 343i. The BR is supposedly being done by Certain Affinity, but nothing's been officially announced yet.

Good to see their commitment. Doesn't really discredit the rumors tho. They could still be working with external teams (i.e Certain Affinity, etc.) who lead on certain content production while 343i serves as support & consultation, but that would still be 343i actively involved in the making of that content.

And for the MP stuff aside from BR it's always been assumed 343i would continue with that.

Corndog

Banned
Saw a post on r/Halo that speculated that because MS relied so heavily on contractors, who have now left, that the game’s code is a big shitty hodge podge which is why it’s taking 343 months to fix things like an armour effect that’s not correctly aligned and why the ‘progress’ on the game is basically none existent. Could be bullshit, but there has to be some reason as to why after 7 years and vast amounts of cash and resources were left with a bare bone beta of a product.
It does make some sense if contractors were doing that type of work. I would hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Top Bottom