• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier from Kotaku reiterates that devs do not like Lockhart, "significantly less RAM"

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Do people NOT realize who this is!?!?! 😳 😳 😳

MOTHER FREAKING Osiris is BACK!
he posted a riddle in the next gen thread that i believe i was able to solve by looking at his post history.

turns out he had posted ps5 specs way back in 2018.

3.2 ghz cpu.
2.1 ghz navi gpu.

he referenced 2.1 in his riddle today. so it seems thats the clock. matches the oberon leak.

onQ123

I can't for the life of me figure out the market for Lockheart.

It's not nearly as wide as PS4 and XB1 but there is a divide.

You wouldn't ask what is the market for cheaper PCs & phones /tablets.

Lockhart is a catch 22 for Devs because on one hand you don't want to deal with extra rules but on the other hand without a cheaper option how will the games see a return in the 1st year if the high price Scarlett doesn't sell well.

Bolivar687

Banned
They probably look back on the 360 era and know how much the Xbox 360 Arcade completely stonewalled the PS3 from finding its footing, diverting anyone who just wanted to "jump in" to the cycle. But at launch, this seems too bifurcated to me. Console launches seem to want to always keep it simple and I don't know if dividing the experience so as to not get underpriced again is such a good idea. They might be playing it too safe.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

They probably look back on the 360 era and know how much the Xbox 360 Arcade just completely stonewalled the PS3 from finding its footing, diverting anyone who just wanted to "jump in" to the cycle. This just seems too bifurcated to me. Console launches seem to want to always keep it simple and I don't know if dividing the experience so as to not get underpriced again is such a good idea. They might be playing it too safe.

MS isnt really launching a new console though, it is more like just another model of xbox capable hardware, albeit locked down to only being able to buy from Microsoft.. Xbox is done with generations and console specific games, so no hard break this time. .

Bolivar687

Banned
MS isnt really launching a new console though, it is more like just another model of xbox capable hardware, albeit locked down to only being able to buy from Microsoft.. Xbox is done with generations and console specific games, so no hard break this time. .

Not saying otherwise. I just don't get how either box is going to compete, brand against brand, if Sony simultaneously drops one box at a competitive price and an appealing value proposition.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I can understand what Microsoft is thinking, I just wonder if releasing a lower priced machine will cannibalize their own sales. Releasing a bunch of models simultaneously works for phones not sure how the console market will respond.

Edited: I can see this being a disaster for uninformed parents during the next holiday season.

Last edited:
How could it be ps4 pro level when xbox one X is significantly more powerful than that?
How could it be ps4 pro level when xbox one X is significantly more powerful than that?
I think that they want a more affordable SKU, as well as the Scorpio (not sure this is the right code name for big console MS will release).
I think it's pretty clear to see what Lockhart will be by just looking at the current consoles and generalising somewhat...

Xbox One S = 1080p current gen
Xbox One X = 4K current gen
Calling the Xbox One S a 1080p console is quite a stretch!
Xbox One S = ~900p current gen

But...but...people in this forum told me that a shitty hardware doesn't mean anything for devs because pc does that all the time...and scalability...and reasons...

1 - Anyone saying devs don't care about hardware performance have never spoken with a developer, unless you develop something that really isn't requiring much power they would want more (even a small indie title could want to take advantage of today's huge computing capabilities to run complex physics simulations in real time).
2 - I don't think that studios want 5 xbox SKUs + PC + Streaming to test against, that could prove to be an issue for smaller studios.

Besides being disc-less Lockhart is pretty much what I thought Xbox One X was gonna be & it would have slowed down PS4 sales.
I am fairly sure it wouldn't have, but I wonder why someone would think it would have made a difference? the arguments around console choices have been at two main levels:
1 - Exclusives if you pick PS4/PRO or a Nintendo Switch
2 - Better third party games performance if you pick the xbox one X
3 - I don't know what I'm doing: pick a base xbox model and cry
US and UK forgave MS pretty quickly. MS has those markets back already.
🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

SlimySnake

I can understand what Microsoft is thinking, I just wonder if releasing a lower priced machine will cannibalize their own sales. Releasing a bunch of models simultaneously works for phones not sure how the console market will respond.

Edited: I can see this being a disaster for uninformed parents during the next holiday season.
No gamer in his right mind is buying that fraud of a console. the scarlett sales will be fine. MS sells very well in both the U.K and the U.S. They have beaten sony at least a couple of times in november and december this gen.

and Phil is betting that uninformed parents wont care or notice the difference in quality. the kids are probably too young to care as well.

it's an extremely clever move that comes at the expense of gamers, non gamers and developers who will undoubtedly be hampered by having to code with this travesty as the baseline. But it's not like that matters to MS. Their bottomline is selling subs and being on top. They seem perfectly willing to compromise an entire generation of video games just to sell more consoles and more subs.

There have been many rumors about how they are going to focus on cross gen games for a while and they should mask the lockhart's disadvantage at least at launch. the ssd will launch games faster, the cpu will run current gen games at 60 fps and the gpu should be able to run the games at x1x resolution. by the time, most publishers start releasing next gen only games in holiday 2021 and spring 2022, it will be too late. a $299 or a $249 lockhart wouldve sold to millions of consumers already with little to no backlash thanks to cross gen games running well on it.

It's good for business, bad for the people.

SlimySnake

There's no way any form of next gen Xbox would be weaker than Xbox One X.
it wont be. the navi gpus are much more powerful polaris gpus in the xbox one x and the ps4 pro. a 4.2 tflops navi gpu would be equivalent to a 6.0 x1x polaris gpu.

the cpu alone should be 4x more powerful and the ssd will be 40x faster. it will load cross gen games much faster and allow them to be run at 60 fps.

I'm starting to think Lockhart is actually a Xbox one X discless portable

It does kind of sound like that. Wasn't there a thread on a handheld Xbox a while back?

Maybe this one I'm thinking of:
So, upcoming XBox portable.... ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imtjnotu

he posted a riddle in the next gen thread that i believe i was able to solve by looking at his post history.

turns out he had posted ps5 specs way back in 2018.

3.2 ghz cpu.
2.1 ghz navi gpu.

he referenced 2.1 in his riddle today. so it seems thats the clock. matches the oberon leak.
If it's that fast expect it to be the PS5 747 jumbo jet take off edition

NickFire

That's my point. But here it seems like MS would rather sell you a $300 console to stream on instead. Which to me is bad.

This rumor has been going on for 2 years now. Do you think everybody has been lying from the start?
I doubt they would market something just as streaming, especially after the Google backlash. My belief is they just feel the need to expand the audience quickly for streaming, and cheap console price is the way to get there. I'm sure they'd be happy to have you also download some titles off the gamepass onto that $300 machine, and buy other stuff as well for it.

bitbydeath

Can you say >11TF?

GHG

If Microsoft don't learn from what happened last gen they deserve everything that comes their way.

I'm sure their ever dwindling contingent of hardcore "fans" will eat it up regardless though. "Our fans are happy" they will say not realising that's precisely the problem considering the fact that the available market is much bigger than just their "fans". That is, unless they are aiming to become some super niche product... which evidently they aren't considering the "gaming for everyone" initiative they are currently pushing.

Anyway, let's see, this is just a rumour for now. But between this and the dev kit rumours the signs are not good.

thelastword

Banned
Why would I believe him over the guy who has one in his home?
But you have not seen the console the guy has at his home......

------------------------------
If Lockhart is a 4TF console based on RDNA, then we're looking at an RX 5300m with lower clocks and cores.....

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5300-xt.c3465

I always imagined a new Vita to be around that spec...….I don't understand why they would want to go ahead with this, when there was rumors of these plans being cancelled.....Lockhart would be significantly less powerful than Scarlett and I'm not sure someone entering little Timmy's house and asking what console he has, if not scarlett will go down all that well......Scarlett will be shunned upon and ostracized as everyone will want to be in possession of the more capable next gen machine.......

The only thing I can see with Lockhart, is that MS is replacing XBONEX with better performance and higher frames in current gen games, but it wont run next gen games as well as scarlett, so what's the point...

Caffeine

during a time period where memory is at all time lows? memory isnt the issue when looking at a bill of materials. dropping the bluray drive, dropping nvme ssd for a sata 3 would easily decrease price point down. i dont see the point of releasing a device if it was a console weaker than the X. u would be better off taking X and changing a few things and rebranding it as lockheart.
I could see a portable even though they stated they are not making one. xcloud and all that shows streaming to mobile device infact its the primary feature they keep showing off, now detachable controller it clearly seems like lockheart is a handheld. it wouldn't make any other sense other than that.

Fake

Lockhart will replace base Xbox thats for sure.

Impossible to replace Xbox One X take into consideration Lockhart don't have a media driver?

If Lockhart is indeed a weak version of Scarlett without media, both base and SAD edition will be replaced.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

We need full context here:
-Since at least the summer xbox hardware revenue has been down 50 percent, then the following quarter was down another 10-15 percent, thats a 60-65 percent drop in hardware revenue. Meanwhile i beleive the xbox division was down 33 percent in revenue overall, and this was post gears 5 launch.

-Speaking of gears 5, it was a shadow of its former self sales wise and all we got was "But gamespass spin." I believe gears 5 quickly fell out of the top 10 currently being played xbox one games 2 weeks after launch.

-Thats the sort of year MS had. I didnt even mention the let down that was their E3.

Oh, and Revenues were still DOWN 33 percent DESPITE PUTTING MOST OF THEIR FIRST PARTY ON PC

Im of the opinion that this is a completely reactionary decision with little to no consideration of what the real world ramifications will be. I genuinely believe this is a reaction the PS5 being more powerful than the Anaconda. I think they know theyve lost the power narrative are afraid of all the bad publicity that would come with it if they lost that title, so theyve resurrected lockheart to divert attention away from that. Fist they denied the existence, cancelled it, resurrected, and devs dont have it hands on, as well as the scarlett. If MS delays the launch i wouldnt be surprised. This whole thing sounds like a mess and the more we learn about Lockheart (60 percent weaker gpu, weaker cpu, and less RAM) the more of a mess it sounds like.

Jesus, what a load of old shite from beginning to end. Absolutely divorced from reality and reasoning.

Im of the opinion that this is a completely reactionary decision with little to no consideration of what the real world ramifications will be. I genuinely believe this is a reaction the PS5 being more powerful than the Anaconda.

Lockhart will have been in development for at least a couple of years at this point - before Sony broke cover to even first parties about hardware capabilities.

I think there could be a market for a device better than a Pro but below PS5/Anaconda, as long as it's cheap enough.

Casuals never care to jump on new consoles. Why would a casual spend $300 on a gimped next-gen console?

Sorry, posted before typing response!

MS may think there are consumers who'd like a chunk of what next gen has to offer, without paying for the full fat version. Kind of like a mid range Galaxy phone, or an RX 5500.

Consoles are anachronistic in that they only offer one performance level and feature set (well, until ProX, and they launched years later). Nothing else in computing or entertainment is like this.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
That's my point. But here it seems like MS would rather sell you a $300 console to stream on instead. Which to me is bad.

This rumor has been going on for 2 years now. Do you think everybody has been lying from the start?

Not the rumor of its existence, but the rumor that a PS4 Pro is about the same power, that just makes no sense. How can you sell something less powerful than Xbox One X as a next gen system?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Btw, for everyone, I think Lockhart is supposed to be a cheaper, more mainstream friendly version of the next Xbox, that would play the same games at lower specs.
What a dumb idea. The whole reason I buy consoles is because I don't want to worry about things like upgrades and compatibility. If they actually release this, all that will happen is people will have to worry about how well their game will play, instead of just putting it in and playing.

SlimySnake

Not the rumor of its existence, but the rumor that a PS4 Pro is about the same power, that just makes no sense. How can you sell something less powerful than Xbox One X as a next gen system?
rumor is that its 4 tflops. Tom's source said 4 tflops. Jason's source used the PS4 Pro to describe the raw power, not performance.

a 4 tflops Navi GPU would be on par with a 6 tflops X1X gpu. add a more powerful CPU, faster ram and an SSD and it should run most X1X games at a better framerate on the same resolution.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lockhart will have been in development for at least a couple of years at this point - before Sony broke cover to even first parties about hardware capabilities.

I think there could be a market for a device better than a Pro but below PS5/Anaconda, as long as it's cheap enough.

Why do people now think $300 is cheap?

Sorry, posted before typing response!

MS may think there are consumers who'd like a chunk of what next gen has to offer, without paying for the full fat version. Kind of like a mid range Galaxy phone, or an RX 5500.

Consoles are anachronistic in that they only offer one performance level and feature set (well, until ProX, and they launched years later). Nothing else in computing or entertainment is like this.

That's the best part about consoles though. It's the lack of options that are good.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Why do people now think $300 is cheap?

Because a console launching at $300 nowadays is cheap. The PS1 launched at that price in 1995 dollars(~$500 today). N64 launched at $200 in 1996 (that was a last minute price cut from $250) which was a power move against Sony and SEGA. That’s about $315 today.

People spend $1100 on phones they’ll use for two years. $300 ain’t shit.

That's the best part about consoles though. It's the lack of options that are good.

Wat. Being able to pick your entry price and performance level is bad?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Wat. Being able to pick your entry price and performance level is bad?

Yea, it can be. Isn't the whole point of the console that you don't have to make these choices? You buy the system and the devs/manufacturer make those decisions for you. If you want to make those decisions, build a PC.

The idea that MS is building some parallel PC-like tier structure with consoles while also supporting the PC platform is bizarre to me.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yea, it can be. Isn't the whole point of the console that you don't have to make these choices? You buy the system and the devs/manufacturer make those decisions for you. If you want to make those decisions, build a PC.

The idea that MS is building some parallel PC-like tier structure with consoles while also supporting the PC platform is bizarre to me.

It could be considered one of the benefits, as well as one of the drawbacks. Having multiple performance options is about where the PC comparisons stop. It’s not like you’re going to be able to add more RAM or swap out the GPU in these things, there’s going to be a set piece of hardware developers can target in a closed ecosystem that consumers can just buy a game and play in. As much of a PC enthusiast as I am, there’s a lot more to it than that.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
On paper i can see why they would make this choice but execution could be very messy.

Indeed this is the Trojan horse to get people in the ecosystem and on gamepass but at what "cost" to the development of games.

It will indeed make dev times and resources not difficult to manage but as engines and API's get better it becomes less and less of a requirement, but it will always take time and money.

Is the risk worth the reward to get more people in the ecosystem? Tough to say.

Top Bottom