• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scheirer says Far Cry 7 is going on a completely different direction

Editaur

It will be a UbiSoft game.

My only guess is they are going for a more (light) survival game route because Rust is popular and they would like to sell you a Rabbids themed mud hut.

Or just make another FarCry 2.

bitbydeath

They should cash in on the gap Elder Scrolls will leave behind. No doubt someone will as it’s free money on the table.

MrA

Banned
Jokes aside, I feel like Far Cry biggest distinguishing features is their villain performance, which is hampered by being a open world game where narrative takes a backseat.

I can see Ubi trying to make a more linear experience ala TLOU, where the cinematics take focus
you mean the villains that always end up being good/right, or at least, least bad of the bad guys?

oagboghi2

you mean the villains that always end up being good/right, or at least, least bad of the bad guys?
Yes, they put a tons of resources into the villains, and spend a lot of advertising resources around them.

Most companies don’t do that.

Last edited:

Fake

James Franco GIF

Salvatron

eh... highly doubt that... there will most likely still be outposts... hunting... all the usual farcry antics wrapped in a new package

wipeout364

I think the series is pretty solid, Far Cry is about open worlds, exotic locations and insane villains and protagonists. I haven’t really been disappointed in any of the entries except Primal and New Dawn. If different direction means one of those then count me out.

D3SCHA1N

Depending on this 'new direction' it could be a good thing. They pumped out annual AC games until Unity gave them a reality check, maybe this is them trying to pre-empt another similar situation. Keep it open world, make it less corny and they'd already be on the right track to course correcting.

Zannegan

Assuming any if this were true, I'd guess they're talking about setting, not mechanics. No longer will the game satirize the CIA's interferance in developing nations. Now a first world nation, probably the US, will be the target for some heavy-handed satire. Like a darker Watch Dogs or maybe a wackier Tom Clancy game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really loved Far Cry 3. It's been all downhill since. FC4 was basically a carbon copy minue all the good melee combo takedowns. FC5 continued that trend and FC6 looks pretty much the same.

I dont get it.

bender

What time is it?
I really loved Far Cry 3. It's been all downhill since. FC4 was basically a carbon copy minue all the good melee combo takedowns. FC5 continued that trend and FC6 looks pretty much the same.

I dont get it.

Ubisoft tends to recycle their game designs and mechanics from most of their franchises which leads to this really odd confluence of open world games that largely lack a unique identity.

Fredrik

Maybe they’ll replace the guns with vaccine shots and instead of killing people you’ll travel an open world trying to save people from a lethal virus that is threatening to planet and the bad guys are organized anti-vaccine groups?

That would be completely different.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

I dont get it.
The only takedowns 4 removed were the double death from above or below takedowns because unlike 3, you could chain them. Sure, it would've been even better to keep the double death from above or below, but they didn't remove much as takedowns go. They also added cover and vehicle takedowns in 4 which more than made up for it, as well as a bunch of QoL improvements. Story and setting in 3 were better, but nearly everything else was an improvement in 4 imo.

So it's going to be a far cry from Far Cry?

Ok I'll see myself out ... :messenger_pensive:
Far Cry 2 was a 'completely different direction' than FC1, and FC3 was a 'completely different direction' than FC2, so I think they have plenty of wiggle room to work in while remaining true to the essence of the brand.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Jason Scheirer says Far Cry 7 is going on a completely different direction

-"From what I have heard, if I remember correctly, they're aiming to go in a radically different direction"

THE END.

Sybrix

Cool, forget dull and boring Far Cry 6

A massive pinch of salt however….. this is Ubisoft remember

Top Bottom