• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Scientists Reveal World's First 3D-Printed Wagyu Beef

Great Hair

Banned
wagyu_beef_stock_unsplash_1630050371173.jpg

How would you like your steak: rare, well-done, or 3D-printed? Well, thanks to scientists from Japan this is now a legitimate question as they have managed to create the world's first-ever 3D-printed Wagyu beef. While it may sound unbelievable, researchers from Osaka University say that the steak created in the lab bears great resemblance to that made from the world-renowned Wagyu beef cattle. To achieve this, the team isolated stem cells from Wagyu cows. These stem cells were then incubated and converted into muscle, fat, and blood vessel cells.

youtube beef GIF by Channel Frederator

lachesis

Well, like it or not - this type of meat may become the future if it manages to hit the pricing right.
Environmental issues and all...

But thought of it, somehow grosses me out. Like that protein bar from Snowpiercer...

dcll

Banned
No thanks, I’ll stick to my cheap but delicious pork steaks 3 for 8 from Aldi’s or my poor man’s rib eye chuck round at Walmart for two for 8

not just world hunger, this could be a HUGE help to global warming also. Not to mention the lessening of animal cruelty.
3D printing food is just a few steps away from Star Trek. Still would have to buy the printer and the materials, so not sure how cost effective it really is. Even the poorest countries can farm. But it's certainly interesting.

Pagusas

Elden Member
3D printing food is just a few steps away from Star Trek. Still would have to buy the printer and the materials, so not sure how cost effective it really is. Even the poorest countries can farm. But it's certainly interesting.
I imagine in 40 - 50 years, if this process is something that can be miniaturized and industrialized, think of a supply chain where every supermarket or restaurants has their own processing machine and all that is sent to them is vats of raw materials. The simplification of the supply chain would be amazing, and it would allow artistry to form in how these things are made. Real meet would become a supreme delicacy, which is fine as its cost on the environment is too large to support 7 billion people on.

poodaddy

Gold Member
If it tastes the part and saves on animal cruelty then I'm completely all in. I love meat, but I feel very conflicted about contributing to such a cruel industry, so this kind of stuff is awesome to see.

kunonabi

I had wagyu in Tokyo and it wasn’t nearly as good as the one in Okinawa. I guess you need it fresh off the slaughter
For the brief time I was there all the beef I had in Japan was really good. Even the fast food beef was much better than what I get in the states most of the time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
who wants to eat a freak science experiment
i mean you basically are eating science experiments everyday unless you are on a totally organic/natural diet. All those processed foods, all that fun chemistry to make unique flavors, or the preservatives allowing such food to sit on a shelf.

i mean you basically are eating science experiments everyday unless you are on a totally organic/natural diet. All those processed foods, all that fun chemistry to make unique flavors, or the preservatives allowing such food to sit on a shelf.
i get you but this is not the same its goddamn lab grown meat

cook an egg thats science too

this shit is some mutant tier shit

StormCell

People have basically been eating fake or fabricated steaks for a very long time without even knowing. This sounds better than what the ol' butcher has been doing as a matter of trade secret. All those scraps left over from butchering and making fine cuts make for another "nice cut" when pasted back together! Apparently few people ever know the difference.

At least with this, you know exactly what you're getting and it's probably a higher grade than the stuff being pasted together. Not to mention this will release far far less methane into the atmosphere. :)

dcll

Banned
If it tastes the part and saves on animal cruelty then I'm completely all in. I love meat, but I feel very conflicted about contributing to such a cruel industry, so this kind of stuff is awesome to see.
Hunt or buy your meat from local farms in your area that don’t raise beef on mass scale and they also don’t pump the animals with all the extras that mass production does

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Hunt or buy your meat from local farms in your area that don’t raise beef on mass scale and they also don’t pump the animals with all the extras that mass production does
For sure I want to try to get into that at some point. I need to find some farms like that in my area for sure.

Great Hair

Banned
not just world hunger, this could be a HUGE help to global warming also. Not to mention the lessening of animal cruelty.

Don´t we have to kill them anyway, to maintain eco-bio-balance? Aren´t cattle already contributing 20% alone to the CO2 footprint (global). If we stopped eating them, would they not start to breed like rats ... at the end, we´re still going to have to butcher them.

I'm glad that we can have an adult conversation about lab-grown meat here without some deranged sociopath immediately starting a thread about whether or not we'd try lab-grown human meat like a certain community does on a regular basis.

Pagusas

Elden Member
i get you but this is not the same its goddamn lab grown meat

cook an egg thats science too

this shit is some mutant tier shit

Don´t we have to kill them anyway, to maintain eco-bio-balance? Aren´t cattle already contributing 20% alone to the CO2 footprint (global). If we stopped eating them, would they not start to breed like rats ... at the end, we´re still going to have to butcher them.

We literally intentionally breed them, we'd stop doing that. Yes population control will be the responsibility of humans on this planet, but we already do that with many other animals.

Tschumi

... beef in Japan is a fucking downer.

For starters it's hugely expensive, that meme steak in the op would cost like $60 here (I'm guessing it's, what, 200g ? Dunno the imperial conversion)

Secondly it is consequently used in very small quantities unless you want to pay for a $50 dish in which case the quantity becomes mid sized

Thirdly, like sish ruins a kebab, they fucking love a nice long stringy string of cartilage to get caught in your teeth or dangle a chunk down your gullet causing you to think you're about to die choking, or a nice little sliver of kneecap to crunch into, tacked onto every fucking steak..

Fourthly, they hate it to be at all al-dente, much like with chicken they think: "why cook anything when you can half cook it?", nobody here seems to get the value of a half-kilo, inch-thick steak fresh off the grille, slightly charred and guaranteed to be a fantastic counterpart to the potato mash situated elsewhere on your fork...

FifthLY, it's all fucking depressing because like you guys i expected Japan to be home of the perfect "Wagyu Steak", but their idea of a perfect steak is so fucking riddled with marbling that it tastes like you're biting into a hamburger patty.

... You might find a real steak at a foreign restaurant, but they'll be charging fuckloads for it too, and you might get some US Steak in certain supermarkets that fits my description, but I'd rather not suddenly sprout red hair on the undersides of my forearms tyvm.

So, no, i don't care about this 3d printed wagyu, because i am le triggered by everything beef related in Japan.

Last edited:
In 200 years I shall exist as the one they call Meateus...

You take the blue pill...the story ends, you wake up in your dining room eating steak as usual, believing what you believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you what steak tasted like in the year 2020.

jason10mm

Gold Member
In distant future, poor man eat filet minon and tomahawk chops printed in labs while rich man eat roaches and crickets that were actually alive.

Zenaku

fish breed like wildfire

why are they so expensive
You actually have a point there.

Fishermen head out in the morning, catch some fish and take them back to be sold, only to do the exact same thing the next day. Livestock farmers have to feed their stock, care for them, pay for all the veterinary requirements, clean up after them day-in day-out for months or years before they can sell them on.

Each lb of beef takes far more effort than each lb of fish, so why are fish so expensive?

Reminds me of when Jeremy on Top Gear/Grand Tour compared petrol to spring water;

Drilling with multimillion pound equipment, spend time and money on refinement and all the other stages to get usable petrol sold at £1.35 a liter

VS

Stick a bottle under a spring for 10 seconds, slap a label on and sell for £3 a litre

Be interesting to see if prices for real meat goes up or down should this ever become the norm.

Porcile

A particular subset of GAF is clearly waiting in desperate anticipation for the "Japanese Scientists Reveal World's First 3D-Printed Japanese Girlfriend" headline.

Top Bottom