• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese parents asked what RPGs they want their kids to play from Famicon gen

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...st-famicom-rpgs-they-want-their-kids-to-play/

A recent survey in Japan asked married couples to vote for the best Famicom RPGs they would like to have their children play. In order to get people from the right generation, the survey was limited to folks in their 30s and 40s, essentially the Famicom generation.

Here are the best Famicom RPGs from the parents’ ranking:

1. Dragon Quest III (1988, Enix)—16.3%
2. Momotaro Densetsu (1987, Hudson)—10.3%
3. Mother (1989, Nintendo)—8.7%
4. Final Fantasy III (1990, Square)—7.3%
5. Dragon Quest IV (1988, Square)—7.0%
6. Final Fantasy II (1988, Square)—6.0%
7. Tenchi wo Kurau II (1991, Capcom)—5.0%
8. Metal Max (1991, Data East)—4.3%
8. Dragon Quest (1986, Enix)—4.3%
10. Dragon Quest II (1987, Enix)—3.7%
10. SD Gundam Gaiden: Knight Gundam Monogatari (1990, Bandai)—3.7%
10. Sweet Home (1989, Capcom)—3.7%

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
No Lagrange Point on that list? I am disappoint.

tenor.gif

Ulysses 31

No Super Mario RPG? :lollipop_confounded:

Oops, that's the super famicom, FF3 threw me off because of the US naming. 👀

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Have yet to play DQIII. Has it been remaked in any way? I really loved DQIV on the Nintendo DS.

Also curious on the Metal Max games. I have 3 (translated by fans) sitting on my DS backlog, but have yet to try it.

cireza

Banned
Tenchi Wo Kurau II is a beat'em all. There is a Saturn port.

Edit : oh, so it seems there is a game with the exact same name on NES.

Last edited:

Erdrick

Have yet to play DQIII. Has it been remaked in any way? I really loved DQIV on the Nintendo DS.

Also curious on the Metal Max games. I have 3 (translated by fans) sitting on my DS backlog, but have yet to try it.
It's available for GBC, mobile and Switch in English. All based on the 16bit SNES remake that never came here on that system. The Switch version is based on the mobile versions and uses the current localization that DQ has gone by here since 8 on the PS2. GBC uses a more direct Japanese localization and has some unique features but for my money, the mobile versions are better, being more consistent and having them available at all times to me is worth it alone.

EDIT: Also, Metal Max Xeno is available on Vita and PS4, if you're curious about the series. Kind of a reboot, but I enjoyed it this past fall on PS4. Very much a PS2 game in terms of design and feel.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Even in their 30’s, that’s pretty impressive. Consider how they obtained a copy of that particular RPG. Even as a kid here in America I was influenced by Metroid, Mario, and Zelda. RPGs were not something my parents bought me besides Final Fantasy Adventure on GB. Even then I might not have stuck it out at that age due to the mathematics and complexity of the combat. It sounds like “hey, what’s an excellent game from the Famicom because that’s the console that was being sold when you were born/toddler/etc?”. I own/owned all the DQ titles besides X, but it wasn’t until later in life. I don’t exactly know what it feels like playing it on a Famicom console.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's available for GBC, mobile and Switch in English. All based on the 16bit SNES remake that never came here on that system. The Switch version is based on the mobile versions and uses the current localization that DQ has gone by here since 8 on the PS2. GBC uses a more direct Japanese localization and has some unique features but for my money, the mobile versions are better, being more consistent and having them available at all times to me is worth it alone.

EDIT: Also, Metal Max Xeno is available on Vita and PS4, if you're curious about the series. Kind of a reboot, but I enjoyed it this past fall on PS4. Very much a PS2 game in terms of design and feel.
Hey man, many thanks for such a detailed answer! I'm thinking that for DQIII I might go with the SNES version tho, as it includes enemy animations wich yeah, might sound like a little thing but I love those on the DS games, so not having them on this one would feel weird.

Metal Max looks very cool too. I've done some research thanks to your post and it seems that Metal Max Xeno is coming to Switch, but I've never heard about that so it might be a japanese exclusive.

Paltheos

I just realized I dislike NES era FF games.

I dunno, I hated FF2. And found FF3 to be very dull.

This would be because they're not very good imo. Generally once they become more story-focused with 4, the games improve. 5's a bit of an aberration but goddamn does it do jobs well.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
So I'm part of the NES generation. I would put them kids on Ninja Gaiden or Batman. No weeb shit

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
No mention of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei and Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II?

Last edited:
Top Bottom