• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Media Criticizes Western Game Journalists’ Poor Gameplay Skills In Redfall

GMCamaro

I just avoid any game journalism and look up straight gameplay, no commentary, to see if I would be interested in a title.

I remember in 2014 when 'gaming journalists' threw a hissy fit over GIT GUD.

Anything with tougher mechanics than Depression Quest was giving 1/10.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's almost like being a games journalist for a major western publication is more about having the right political opinions than your writing skills, interest in games and overall skill level

I know people like to make fun of American games journalists, but my bigger issue here is what they're being bad at. For the most part, the core controls for console shooters have not changed in almost 2 decades since Halo first standardized the control scheme, and then Modern Warfare solidified it in stone.

Left Stick, Right Stick, Left Trigger, Right Trigger. That's the core of any shooter, as everything else is normally extra.

For nearly every other genre you can kind of excuse people being bad at first showing, because devs will make up different control schemes at times to be different or to arrogantly say that they know better.

No one(except for maybe Nintendo) would dare do this for a first person shooter. Literally everyone else stuck to what works.

I know these guys had to have played Warzone or Fortnite, two of the biggest games to ever exist today. Left Stick, Right Stick, Left Trigger, Right Trigger. That's it. You can literally fake it til' you make it in a shooter with just that.

Top Bottom