• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese game publisher "players who used to buy PlayStation versions of its games are now gradually shifting to purchasing the PC edition"

Lognor

Banned
PS brand is declining while PS5 is undergoing unprecedented demand. Right. I hope you are not involved in any company's marketing department or strategy meetings. Tagline checks out.
If we're talking about Japan, then he's right. The PS4 ended behind the PS3 which ended behind the PS2. I think the PS5 is on a trajectory to fall behind the PS5 in sales soon, if it hasn't already. That is not the case outside of Japan necessarily, and I suppose it depends on who this Japanese publisher is to put it in perspective. Capcom has a worldwide appeal so that might not be the case for them, but someone like Nihon Falcom who primarily caters to Japan (and historically the PS family) it makes a ton of sense. Their terrible decision to stick with PS has really hurt them. Maybe they've started releasing their games on PC; I'm not sure.

I wonder how long it will be before Japan starts playing Nintendo games on PC emulators rather than Nintendo hardware.

Probably will take a couple of generations (of children) at this rate.

I always thought that PC gaming was for basement dwellers playing Factorio or some nerd shit. But a lot has changed. You can play formerly exclusive console games with a controller on a TV. My PC is basically a console with Windows running on it.
Blue reflection on Steam!

PC gaming has grown up.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Certainly shatters the myth that only portable handhelds can succeed in Japan.
These Japanese games aren't necessarily only being bought by the Japanese, moreso on PC than console. Many of those games wouldn't get sold physically at all on console outside of Japan and other nearby countries, might not even show up on the digital console storefronts either. On PC they'd all be on Steam, and they have a WW audience... fans will even do the translation for you lol

Woopah

If we're talking about Japan, then he's right. The PS4 ended behind the PS3 which ended behind the PS2. I think the PS5 is on a trajectory to fall behind the PS5 in sales soon, if it hasn't already. That is not the case outside of Japan necessarily, and I suppose it depends on who this Japanese publisher is to put it in perspective. Capcom has a worldwide appeal so that might not be the case for them, but someone like Nihon Falcom who primarily caters to Japan (and historically the PS family) it makes a ton of sense. Their terrible decision to stick with PS has really hurt them. Maybe they've started releasing their games on PC; I'm not sure.
A lot will depend on the future software coming to the platform, but I can see PS5 ending up between the PS3 and PS4 in hardware sales.

Kacho

You see Koei Tecmo? Just put some effort in your PC ports and you’ll be raking in cash.

Capcom and Atlus know what’s up. PC is the future.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean I told you all this was going to happen. It's only common sense. You put your games on another platform, it will give people less reason to buy your platform which in turn will result in fewer third party sales on your platform. It's not rocket science.

Sony releases like 2 AAA exclusives a year. They are trying to get $50-100 million in additional revenue for those games and risking hundreds of millions in lost revenue from third party sales, PS+ subs, console sales, and a 30% cut on those first party sales that they now have to share with steam.

It's the classic case of shortsightedness we have seen from Wall Street time and time again. Every corporation does this out of greed. They chase short term profits and end up fucking themselves in the ass. It happens all time. Great to see confirmation of this after a year of being told this was not going to hurt Sony.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford

I mean I told you all this was going to happen. It's only common sense. You put your games on another platform, it will give people less reason to buy your platform which in turn will result in fewer third party sales on your platform. It's not rocket science.

Sony releases like 2 AAA exclusives a year. They are trying to get $50-100 million in additional revenue for those games and risking hundreds of millions in lost revenue from third party sales, PS+ subs, console sales, and a 30% cut on those first party sales that they now have to share with steam.

It's the classic case of shortsightedness we have seen from Wall Street time and time again. Every corporation does this out of greed. They chase short term profits and end up fucking themselves in the ass. It happens all time. Great to see confirmation of this after a year of being told this was not going to hurt Sony.

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford

I guess we will see how it all plays out. So far their revenues/profits keep increasing.

I'm not really sure if there is much overlap in people switching from PS5 to PC, tbh. The people that only game on PC are pretty entrenched by now, and I don't see console primary players moving to PC if they haven't done so already

Kuranghi

The problem is that PC ports have been in a bad state recently and PC components unreasonably expensive to upgrade my PC, so a lot of the time I'd choosing the PS5 version because its a better experience and lacks the bugs and issues of the PC version.

Top Bottom