• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese game publisher "players who used to buy PlayStation versions of its games are now gradually shifting to purchasing the PC edition"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Frustration around Sony’s limited inventory is growing among game makers as well as fans of the console. One top Japanese game publisher has found players who used to buy PlayStation versions of its games are now gradually shifting to purchasing the PC edition, said an executive who asked not to be named. PlayStation 5 games have so far failed to make an impact on Japanese sales charts, which are dominated by Nintendo’s Switch platform, data from market tracker Famitsu show.

Make sense, since you do not need to buy the latest GPUs to play the next gen games (like Deathloop) on PC. They still work fine at mid setting on mid range PC. Certainly shatters the myth that only portable handhelds can succeed in Japan.

No wonder Capcom is pledging increasing support for PC in the coming years.

PC is Life, PC is forever

vndndWo.jpg

Edit : Enlarged for maximum RT

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
I mean, that's what happens when you can't find a PS5 in stock to save your life. I shifted from PS4 to PC this gen because of it. Had I been able to find one in stock, I never would have left the ecosystem.
Come on dude the ps5 shortage is nothing compared to the graphics card shortage.

Console to PC switch has been happening for a while now as the gaming population matures which makes total sense. Kids on the other hand are gaming on tablets and phones.

if you are serious about gaming you build a PC and if not you just use your phone or tablet. i'm not sure where consoles fit in all of this. Kind of obsolete devices with no future to speak of.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
PC is the future, I can see Valve bringing back Steam Consoles in the future, using the Steam OS from Deck as the basis.

Microsoft will eventually accept it too by releasing game consoles that are basically PCs preloaded with a Windows OS.

Valve and Microsoft will continue to ensure that the user experience of PC gaming is more easier and easier.

spons

Gold Member
You're right in that many more people can play these games than there are PS5 owners. Even my shitty Haswell-based system (with an RX580) holds up well for 1080p gaming, especially lesser demanding games that just work.
I do want to upgrade my processor, but in the end it's more a luxury thing than anything else since everything just runs okay. The only thing that currently stings is Windows 11 and what is officially supported and not.

Saucy Papi

Come on dude the ps5 shortage is nothing compared to the graphics card shortage.

Console to PC switch has been happening for a while now as the gaming population matures which makes total sense. Kids on the other hand are gaming on tablets and phones.
You can at least find pre-builds for a decent price, I paid $1,500 for a 10700k with a 3060 ti at the beginning of the year which isn't that far away from the PS5 which was around $1,000 at the time on places like eBay.

drotahorror

if you are serious about gaming you build a PC and if not you just use your phone or tablet. i'm not sure where consoles fit in all of this. Kind of obsolete devices with no future to speak of.

Consoles are plug and play, easier to find, much cheaper and offer the best price to performance ratio. My 3060 ti cost the same as a PS5 and took me 12 months to get. Meanwhile I got 2 PS5's during launch month last year for MSRP.

Elios83

This is from the same article by Takashi Mochizuki that was discussed in an other thread.
The guy is well known for making negative Sony articles.
Recently he wrote that Sony was waiting to enable the SSD slot in the PS5 because they needed to figure out how to increase the fan speed to handle the extra heat.
A total bullshit.

MikeM

Can you get TLOU on PC? No.
can you get Spiderman on PC? No.
can you get Returnal on PC? No.

And those of us who don’t have a PC would need to spend three times the price for a decent, forward looking system. If you have a PC, then sure go nuts but GPUs are still hard to find at a somewhat near MSRP tag.

Last edited:

jm89

And those of us who don’t have a PC would need to spend three times the price for a decent, forward looking system. If you have a PC, then sure go nuts but GPUs are still hard to find at a somewhat near MSRP tag.
I wouldn't take some these comments too serously. We do this dance every few years.

reksveks

PC is the future, I can see Valve bringing back Steam Consoles in the future, using the Steam OS from Deck as the basis.

Microsoft will eventually accept it too by releasing game consoles that are basically PCs preloaded with a Windows OS.

Valve and Microsoft will continue to ensure that the user experience of PC gaming is more easier and easier.

On the Microsoft point, that's just OEM Gaming PCs and Microsoft doesn't really go into device types where it think OEM's are serving the user. That's why they have now gone into Chromebook like devices.

The only reason that consoles exists is a surface vector for the storefronts. Unless Valve decides to go a revenue split model, Steam Machine will die again like it did last time. My opinion is that the price comparison to other gaming PCs and software support didn't work.

I would separately like Microsoft to actually introduce their own version of a big picture mode that I can boot into and switch out of as needed.

reksveks

It gets a bit weird and I know it's not the same but you could have played TLoU and Spider-man on PC via PS Now but ignore that random tidbit.

jm89

Sony is fulfilling its own prophecy, doing their best killing Playstation brand in Japan
What more can sony really do? Japan prefers mobile and nintendo and are moving away from traditional consoles for years now. I'm not sure a few exclusives is really changing that. Sony have found a market and that is in the west hence why we see so much stock going to place like the UK. Western market is the reason sony managed to make a comeback, japan kept them in the game somewhat but just not enough to make playstation as big as it is today from where they where with the ps3.

kingfey

Banned
That is just life. Playstation needs new strategy to attract these customers.

PC offers MP games, which you cant find it on consoles. MMO is popular in the east too.

The entire thing falls on sony hand, which refused to diversify their gaming category.

Guilty_AI

Thats the thing. If you want to enjoy PS exclusives day one (or short term after release) PC is not where you play.
If you want to. The people i know really don't care all that much about them, and data suggests most players are more interested in the dotas, fortnites, CoDs and what not.

Unless Valve decides to go a revenue split model, Steam Machine will die again like it did last time.
But... they do. They literally already do. They don't enforce it (since they allow users to install anything), and they basically allow 'backwards compatibility' with the regular PCs, but they do charge their 30% on Steam sales. And most sales on the Steam Deck will be Steam sales, since that's what all the platform features are tied into.

Steam Deck is growing the PC market, thus growing the profits for Valve. It's vastly different from the "last time", and it's hardly a loss-leader operation, even with the 'painful' price of the entry tier device.

reksveks

But... they do. They literally already do. They don't enforce it (since they allow users to install anything)
Talking about with OEM's, like Google does with some Android phone manufacturers.

Google sweetened the deal further for companies like LG and Motorola, offering them between 3 and 6 percent of what customers spent in the Google Play Store on their devices.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Article is paywalled but how do they know this? The games don't release at the same time so how can you 'gradually' move to making a conscious choice to buy it on PC rather than PS5?

We also never knew some of these were coming to PC until the PlayStation versions had been out ages. I doubt people waited from release date just in case they announced PC versions.

As for the likes of GT7 how do we know its even going to be PC? How many preorders of God of War: Ragnarok on PC are comparing to PlayStation, and how do they compare to 2018 numbers?

reksveks

Article is paywalled but how do they know this? The games don't release at the same time so how can you 'gradually' move to making a conscious choice to buy it on PC rather than PS5?
This is third party right so they would be just looking at the platform split within Japan. Its not related to first party Sony games.

kingfey

Banned

We also never knew some of these were coming to PC until the PlayStation versions had been out ages. I doubt people waited from release date just in case they announced PC versions.

As for the likes of GT7 how do we know its even going to be PC? How many preorders of God of War: Ragnarok on PC are comparing to PlayStation, and how do they compare to 2018 numbers?
They mean multi platform games. Games that were for pc and playstation, but people used to buy it on playstation.

cormack12

Gold Member
This is third party right so they would be just looking at the platform split within Japan. Its not related to first party Sony games.

Might be, I cant actually read the article just get prompted to subscribe. Fuck that. But third party makes more sense I guess.

I guess the follow up questions are more around digital share and how many PS5s are actually sold and in people's homes then?

cormack12

Gold Member
They mean multi platform games. Games that were for pc and playstation, but people used to buy it on playstation.
Does it say in the article what data they used to conclude this and from where? I just get redirected to sub modal and I ain't doing that lol

kingfey

Banned
Does it say in the article what data they used to conclude this and from where? I just get redirected to sub modal and I ain't doing that lol
One top Japanese game publisher has found players who used to buy PlayStation versions of its games are now gradually shifting to purchasing the PC edition, said an executive who asked not to be named

Its on the first post.

reksveks

Might be, I cant actually read the article just get prompted to subscribe. Fuck that. But third party makes more sense I guess.

I guess the follow up questions are more around digital share and how many PS5s are actually sold and in people's homes then?
I don't think the digital split would matter too much, publishers are getting that information anyways. But yeah, the possibility of scalping and exports would be an issue but probably might be an issue for Sony for a while. I would be interested to see how Sony have divided their shipments for the ps5 instead of the ps4.

Not calling you out on this because I don't have an answer and I don't know why you don't want to sub to Bloomberg. I do laugh at the contradiction of the general gamers on the internet whom don't like clickbait articles which is an outcome of a ad model and the dislike of a sub model. If you think Bloomberg is a shit site and you do sub to other newspapers sites, really do ignore me.

Last edited:
Great news but a bit late considering the hardware market and getting PC parts these days is...not great especially for those who do not own a PC or an above average gaming PC.
Sure, but can still easily buy pre-build systems in most countries that aren't even half bad and can run a lot of games decently. I think especially in times like these, many families will think twice wether they buy their kid a next gen console or a laptop/desktop that can do many other useful things as well. Japanese games in particular are usually not very demanding when it comes to hardware specs. The high end market is absolutely ridiculous right now. But low to mid end systems, or even the used market, offer a lot to price sensitive consumers.

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't think the digital split would matter too much, publishers are getting that information anyways. But yeah, the possibility of scalping and exports would be an issue but probably might be an issue for Sony for a while. I would be interested to see how Sony have divided their shipments for the ps5 instead of the ps4.

Not calling you out on this because I don't have an answer and I don't know why you don't want to sub to Bloomberg. I do laugh at the contradiction of the general gamers on the internet whom don't like clickbait articles which is an outcome of a ad model and the dislike of a sub model. If you think Bloomberg is a shit site and you do sub to other newspapers sites, really do ignore me.

My dislike is of Bloomberg in general so as kingfey points out with this:

One top Japanese game publisher has found players who used to buy PlayStation versions of its games are now gradually shifting to purchasing the PC edition, said an executive who asked not to be named

That's not a segue that gets me interested in subscribing. I susbcribe to 'i', Readly and Edge, for different reasons obviously and if I've used the Guardian extensively within a month I repsond to that obnoxious banner and usually donate a fiver.

Fake

People would stop playing on Nintendo Switch if they games are coming to PC? Genuine question.

Kokoloko85

I dont think this is the case atm, but will be for at least 10% of the Playstation install base in the future if releases get closer and closer Between Playstation and PC.

Atm the closest gap for 1st party games has been 2-1/2 years between for Days Gone. Games like God of War, Uncharted have taken 3-10+ years and Im personally not gonna wait that long to play them.
Its nowhere near day 1 but if it happens, PS will lose some install base and eventually lose money because that 10%install base won’t be buying games on PSN but on Steam instead etc.

What they are doing right now works better than day 1. You get double dippers, 1st time buyers and you keep the Playstation fanbase happier.

Personally I mostly play 1st party games from Playstation and Nintendo, aswell as games like Resident Evil or Fromsoftware games get bought day 1 but Ill still be buying Consoles as I don’t want to wait a couple of years to play 1st party Playstation games And I cant afford a PC to play at PS5 specs.

Im currently looking for a really cheap Graphics cards for a PC my brother is giving me, Ill only use it for older PC games, Strategy games and indies not on consoles etc.

I can’t afford a PC to play PS5 games lol and even if I could Im not waiting because some neogaffers think it will be day 1 soon, nothing has shown Playstation games are coming day 1.

Kokoloko85

People would stop playing on Nintendo Switch if they games are coming to PC? Genuine question.

I barely use the Switch in handheld mode and cheaper PC would still play Switch games compared to PS5 games but I think Id still buy a Switch

my switch dock is connected to my PC monitor so i'm really missing out on playing it at 1440p or higher framerates up to 165hz. but having it on Switch means i can just lift the console out the dock and keep playing in my bed, downstairs, or on the train. i'll happily give up the higher resolution/fps for portability. alright if the games were on PC (steam) i could stream them to my phone/tablet when at home but that's too much hassle and introduces lag.

if given the choice between PC/Switch i'll go Switch just for portability. I also have a PS4 but if i had the choice between buying a game like Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 or PC i'd go with PC. Playstation doesn't give me a really good reason to put up with lower graphics/performance such as portability. So I'll go PC.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont understand the point of this thread, i mean both PC and console market will grow anyway.

So yea they go for PC because they cant get a PS5, i mean..whats so suprising here? its not like they are giving up on PS5 forever anyway

Duchess

I'm going to be interested to see how the integrated GPUs from AMD and Intel are looking in 5 years' time. I have a feeling that they'll be able to provide acceptable levels of performance, without throttling too much.

Top Bottom