• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Sales Charts (2/6/23 – 2/12/23): #1 PS5 (+90k), #2 Switch (+55k), #3 Xbox (+4k)

Baki

Wow, Hogwarts Legacy on PS5 alone sold MORE THAN DOUBLE God of War Ragnarok. What a launch. This will be so big globally.

Here's the full rundown on the software charts for 07/11/2022 - 13/11/2022:

3. [PS5] God of War Ragnarok (SIE, 11/09/22) – 29,377 (New)

It could’ve sold even more if it wasn’t sold out. I think Hogwarts will have good legs. Seems like a potential evergreen title like Elden Ring.

Woopah

So much for "Japan only cares about handhelds". Great PS5 hardware and Hogwarts launch, also Switch Sports crosses the 1 million physical mark

Wow, Hogwarts Legacy on PS5 alone sold MORE THAN DOUBLE God of War Ragnarok. What a launch. This will be so big globally.

Here's the full rundown on the software charts for 07/11/2022 - 13/11/2022:

3. [PS5] God of War Ragnarok (SIE, 11/09/22) – 29,377 (New)
Ragnarok also sold 11,260 on PS4, so not quite double but still impressive.
People buying regular Switch instead of OLED.. what are you doing?
Guess they wanna save $50!
Fire Emblem Engage has only sold 200,000 units in Japan? That's seems low
Expensive Nintendo releases like Fire Emblem tend to skew more digital with vouchers , but even so Engage's legs aren't looking great and it hasn't given the franchise the boost I thought it would.

Baki

So much for "Japan only cares about handhelds". Great PS5 hardware and Hogwarts launch, also Switch Sports crosses the 1 million physical mark

Ragnarok also sold 11,260 on PS4, so not quite double but still impressive.

Guess they wanna save $50!

Expensive Nintendo releases like Fire Emblem tend to skew more digital with vouchers , but even so Engage's legs aren't looking great and it hasn't given the franchise the boost I thought it would.

Jury still out. Let's see if PS5 can grow from PS4.

Baki

Its ahead of PS4 launch aligned now, should have a good 2023 if the software performs.
Yes it is. Physical software is down but this generation is more digital. If Sony can continue this momentum for a full year, that's a good sign that the PS5 will outgrow the PS4.

Tams

Gold Member
I understand that, but Japan was getting almost nothing. There wasn't a territory that wasn't going to immediately sell out. Japan is an important territory due to how much of the gaming industry is located there.

It is an important region, even if less populated than places like North America.

1. Other markets had more demand as already mentioned.
2. Other markets were/are more competitive.
3. The Japanese market is pretty much locked down for Sony, so they could afford to take it for granted to a large degree and blue ball them.

Nintendo aren't even really a competitor these days, rather complementary/a slightly different market.

Last edited:
The Switch is doing its job there they have their style doing these things. Great power are these consoles like seeing PS breaking in the region, great might.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
And people were saying Sony should give up on Japan. I was hearing that almost every week not too long ago..

Last edited:

Brucey

I understand that, but Japan was getting almost nothing. There wasn't a territory that wasn't going to immediately sell out. Japan is an important territory due to how much of the gaming industry is located there.

It is an important region, even if less populated than places like North America.
I think it was a strategic decision. The chances of Japanese PS gamers switching to Xbox due to lack of stock is minimal. Better to assign it to the "battleground" markets where competitive pressure (if any) is greater. Xboxs strongest countries are the English speaking countries. I'm curious to see how long these sales will continue at this level to see the true demand. I think certainly we could be looking at exceeding PS4. How are we tracking versus PS2?

Top Bottom