• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shinning Pearl sold 1.39 million units(physical) in 3 days, more than Pokemon SwSh in its opening sales.

Bodomism

Banned
01./00. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2021.11.19} (¥5.980) - 1,395,642 / NEW

Nintendo Switch this week - 168K

For comparison
Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2019 (Nov 11 - Nov 17)

01./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980) - 1.364.544 / NEW <60-80%>

Deerock71

Mother Of God Omg GIF

carlosrox

Banned
I'm very tempted to get this as I never played the original and Sword was my first Pokemon since Red I got when I was 11 (and barely touched). But I wouldn't have time for it...

Kataploom

Gold Member
Apart from artistic choice which I didn’t like, from the reviews seems like a solid remake, people been waiting for so long for contests to come back to the series and that alone is a big functionality, I started to see this game much more attractive than Legends Arceus because even if this game looks graphically safe, at least it looks and seems to run as as well pretty good compared to that other one.

I’ll probably play it later if they put it on a sale...

Last edited:

Ozzie666

They don't even have to try with easy wins like this, it's disgusting. Then you add Animal crossing and a pandemic combination, really been fortunate.
Every company wishes they had trump cards like Nintendo does, with a crazy nation of fans. These treasures and money makers cost a fraction of what HALO or the next Naughty dog costs, and they make way more money.

Really rolling. It's great to see and it's nice to see that graphics aren't everything. Between this and SMT, it's crazy town!

They don't even have to try with easy wins like this, it's disgusting. Then you add Animal crossing and a pandemic combination, really been fortunate.
Every company wishes they had trump cards like Nintendo does, with a crazy nation of fans. These treasures and money makers cost a fraction of what HALO or the next Naughty dog costs, and they make way more money.

Really rolling. It's great to see and it's nice to see that graphics aren't everything. Between this and SMT, it's crazy town!
The thing is, Nintendo even appeals to non gamers. They have the dearest franchises that people have grown up with. Everyone at my age knows Pokemon, Mario, Zelda. Non-gamers tend to go for those sweet good memories, it's not just Nintendo fans. When I had my Switch, I remember my mom instantly recognising me playing Mario or Pokemon. Nintendo has that effect.

My girlfriend wanted to play Mario Galaxy with me, she also loved seeing me play BOTW and Mario Galaxy. When I sold my Switch and got a PS4 Pro I told her, "this game (the last of us) is like a movie, , you might like it because it has a good story" (she loves dramas and all that jazz). She just shrugged her shoulders and was like "nah, hard pass". I knew she would say that because she grew up knowing Mario and Pokemon, not Playstation games, even if she was never a gamer.

Non-gamers don't care if Halo or ND games are more technically advanced or cost more money, they want to play the games they used to when they were kids. Halo and The Last of Us means nothing to them. And I regret selling my Switch.

ZeroGravity

Mediocrity is eternally rewarded with this franchise. Pokemon will never reach its potential and it's pretty disheartening.

Amin_Parker

The thing is, Nintendo even appeals to non gamers. They have the dearest franchises that people have grown up with. Everyone at my age knows Pokemon, Mario, Zelda. Non-gamers tend to go for those sweet good memories, it's not just Nintendo fans. When I had my Switch, I remember my mom instantly recognising me playing Mario or Pokemon. Nintendo has that effect.

My girlfriend wanted to play Mario Galaxy with me, she also loved seeing me play BOTW and Mario Galaxy. When I sold my Switch and got a PS4 Pro I told her, "this game (the last of us) is like a movie, , you might like it because it has a good story" (she loves dramas and all that jazz). She just shrugged her shoulders and was like "nah, hard pass". I knew she would say that because she grew up knowing Mario and Pokemon, not Playstation games, even if she was never a gamer.

Non-gamers don't care if Halo or ND games are more technically advanced or cost more money, they want to play the games they used to when they were kids. Halo and The Last of Us means nothing to them. And I regret selling my Switch.
Nintendo is literally the Walt Disney of gaming. They are the only company capable of pulling at the heartstrings of someone's heart making them harken back to their childhood. They are the epitome of gaming, they are literally the essence of video games.

01./00. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2021.11.19} (¥5.980) - 1,395,642 / NEW

Nintendo Switch this week - 168K

For comparison
Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2019 (Nov 11 - Nov 17)

01./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} (¥5.980) - 1.364.544 / NEW <60-80%>

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

RaZoR No1

Wait.. the abbrevation for Sword and Shield is SwSh? I think we could even make it shorter.

It is still shocking to see, how good PKMN sells after allf of those years and critism they get for being lazy

it's no real surprise it was gonna sell well.

but it's sad that they get away with shitting out remakes and half assed games. but hey if it makes them money who cares, right?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I really dont understand how people still buying pokemon games, its the same thing.
They dont put effort at all in their games.
Something tells me that they sell because of the family oriented brand name.
And dont even talk about gamefreak.

Look at SMTV, Neo: The world ends, now this is what we called effort, and good game as well.....

Last edited:
I really dont understand how people still buying pokemon games, its the same thing.
They dont put effort at all in their games.
Something tells me that they sell because of the family oriented brand name.
And dont even talk about gamefreak.
They buy it because they like it, also its obviously aimed at families.

Nintendo is the goat

rubenburgt

Huh?
Isn't SwSh visually and content wise better than brilliant diamond and shining pearl?

Can someone explain to me why the newest Pokemon games sell better than the previous ones?

Astral Dog

I haven't cared about Pokemon since it went 3D, after DS they all feel clunky and ugly, borrowed Shield for awhile and couldn't stand it. the writting is also a little tired

But will always be impressed by its success and power to bring gamers together to play them, so many years later its simply incredible, no idea how they do it but congrats to Pokemon company

Mozza

it's no real surprise it was gonna sell well.

but it's sad that they get away with shitting out remakes and half assed games. but hey if it makes them money who cares, right?
Your comment suggests that they are getting away with making poor games, when in reality this is just a subjective opinion, these remakes are fine, and what they were always advertised as, can't see all the issues myself.

Notabueno

Banned
It's surprising that no matter how low a franchise goes, there's an art in maintaining absolutely degenerate and mediocre fans, that's how you can release an absolutely cheap mediocre port to 3D (it's not a remake, Let's Go was). Rockstar did and they bombed because people who play GTA are more decent humans, but people who bought this shit are not.

And I say this while playing PoGo from times to times and Sword (got for free), they are mediocre, redundant, alienating or badly designed games but it's become like an addiction for many people: it's not about the game, it's not about graphics, quality, story, gameplay, design or anything anymore, it's about consuming this "pokemon collection" in a form and another.

And drug addicts when it comes to consumers, are the lowest form of untermenschen you can find as a market target. The unavoidable problem is that, mediocre consumer/fan bases, means destroying the value of your franchise on the long terms and I feel that this is the end of the milking road.

Bragr

Banned
It's been getting really good Twitch numbers for a week now, I knew this was gonna be a big game. The game is gonna cruise past 10 million like nothing, this is gonna sell a lot at Christmas.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom