• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is Xbox's fastest growing market

sublimit

Banned
They sold 31 consoles last month alone!
62 is fastest growing, thats 100 %.
SaltyTotalKid-size_restricted.gif

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

ZehDon

I can see xCloud be a thing in Japan
Yeah, I wouldn't be sleeping on functional game streaming in the Japanese market. If it works as well as I've heard elsewhere, xCloud could actually do well. I don't think Nintendo or Sony have much to worry about, but it could at least turn a nice little profit for them.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yeah, I wouldn't be sleeping on functional game streaming in the Japanese market. If it works as well as I've heard elsewhere, xCloud could actually do well. I don't think Nintendo or Sony have much to worry about, but it could at least turn a nice little profit for them.
Didn't Nintendo try that with one of the Resident Evil games on Switch? I'm guessing it didn't have the uptake to continue it going forward. Maybe times are changing and it would be more welcome now.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Didn't Nintendo try that with one of the Resident Evil games? I'm guessing it didn't have the uptake to continue it going forward. Maybe times are changing and it would be more welcome now.
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. Nintendo tried streaming one game? The difference to that, I suppose, is that we're talking about Gamepass. xCloud lets you play the content on your phone - a fully functional next-gen library on the go in a country that actually has the infrastructure to support it. Potentially quite an attractive offer.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. Nintendo tried streaming one game? The difference to that, I suppose, is that we're talking about Gamepass. xCloud lets you play the content on your phone - a fully functional next-gen library on the go in a country that actually has the infrastructure to support it. Potentially quite an attractive offer.
Yes, but Nintendo have a stranglehold on gaming in Japan currently and it tried with RE7 and Assassin's Creed Oddessy. If it looks like a non-runner to them, it will be very difficult for Xbox to crack Japan with gamepass whether its good value or not. The current gen sold 100k consoles in 7 years.

Japanese gamers prefer portable games but would they buy into in streaming games they don't own? I'd like to see if there are any surveys done on Japanese mentality with streaming gaming and if that's a barrier or not.

Kerotan

Xbox sales in japan are pathetic. If they were any worse they would be zero. This statement from Phil is just more PR spin. I'm sure they'll give it another stab early on but when it flops again they'll pack it in.

Brofist

I see mention of GP, which probably could see decent growth in Japan. The console selling well is overly optimistic though.

Maybe to scalpers.

So this was all scalpers?

Video Games Chronicle reports that the more expensive Xbox Series X sold out in less than 20 minutes on Amazon Japan after pre-orders went live at midnight. One hour later, the Series S was also out of stock. Many major Japanese electronic chains also reported that both consoles sold out within hours of becoming available, including Microsoft's official Japanese store. All of this came just hours after Microsoft Japan announced a small price cut to the Series S, but it is not clear if this had any direct impact on sales.

Kumomeme

people just need not to expect something tremendous jump in instant, it hard for them to 'overtake' market there. just dont expect they would close gap with sony and nintendo in short time

but if they effort in right path, this would give good competition there, which is i hope can bring forth great games from japanese industry. i miss the old ps2 era btw.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I'm still optimistic about Xcloud's growth in Japan. They just need to aggressively pitch in AA or AAA Japanese games in the lineups like all kinds of JRPGs, VNs.

Also maybe make a touchscreen focus controller option for select genres.

smbu2000

They are happy coz minecraft had 3 levels by Japanese users, one of them living in usa.

success
You know that Minecraft is super popular in Japan too right?
There are a lot of books on it in Japan and a lot of JP streamers/YT creators make Minecraft videos.
All the kids I’ve talked to Elem. age and up either know of it or watch videos and/or play it themselves.

Anyway, on topic I can see gamepass (xcloud) becoming popular especially since they just started it in Japan a few months ago.
The only problem might be that the iphone is the most popular smartphone in Japan and Apple hasn’t let xcloud on iOS (worldwide).
Consoles definitely seem to be declining. Even the PS5 will probably sell less tan the ps4 did. The ps4 itself also sold less than the ps3 despite being the only viable console for awhile (against Wii U/X1).
Switch is definitely dominating everything.

Last edited:

Dane

You know that Minecraft is super popular in Japan too right?
There are a lot of books on it in Japan and a lot of JP streamers/YT creators make Minecraft videos.
All the kids I’ve talked to Elem. age and up either know of it or watch videos and/or play it themselves.

Anyway, on topic I can see gamepass (xcloud) becoming popular especially since they just started it in Japan a few months ago.
The only problem might be that the iphone is the most popular smartphone in Japan and Apple hasn’t let xcloud on iOS (worldwide).
Consoles definitely seem to be declining. Even the PS5 will probably sell less tan the ps4 did. The ps4 itself also sold less than the ps3 despite being the only viable console for awhile (against Wii U/X1).
Switch is definitely dominating everything.

Minecraft is the best selling foreign game in Japan, and the weird thing is that its owned by a company who failed to have a market there.

Top Bottom