• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan aiming to support indie devs with new acceleration program

so-fu.jpg

Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry has created an acceleration program specifically for the country's independent games scene.

Known as So-Fu (or "create a new wind"), the program provides mentorship and financial support for indie developers. Unlike other initiatives like Screen Australia, which helps its local creators financially, this is more centered on the practical parts of development.

As noted by developer Takaaki Ichijo, this marks the first instance of direct support for indie developers from Japan's government. Ichijo is also involved with the program, which he said furthers his dream of "helping [the] rise of Japanese indie game developers."
To be eligible, individuals and teams must be of Japanese nationality, or have permanent residence in Japan. They also need to have graduated high school by April 1, 2024, and for unspecified reasons, be younger than 35 years old.

Under the program, recipients will attend lectures on industry trends, get project management and production planning advice, and speak with industry veterans like Kuukiyomi producer Koichi Takeshita and Neon Noroshi's Tomoko Miya.

After delivering an "intermediate achievement presentation" in October, accepted recipients will have a final meeting in February 2025, where they will present their project to industry stakeholders.
A similar program for film is running concurrently, and with the same general schedule outline.

Applicants for either program can sign up here from now until April 26. An explanatory seminar will take place on April 4, with signups open until Thursday, March 28.

Great initiative. Hope the sum is considerable enough for startups, especially students in Japan straight out of universities, to take a significant burden off their shoulders and take risks with design.

Japan has been the primary hub of innovation in game design for decades in the AAA space, it's time for their indies to share that crown now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is good. The doujin scene still produces some of the most interesting games coming out these days, but what they tend to lack is polish. More support for these devs can only be a good thing.

IAmRei

Great initiative. Hope the sum is considerable enough for startups, especially students in Japan straight out of universities, to take a significant burden off their shoulders and take risks with design.

Japan has been the primary hub of innovation in game design for decades in the AAA space, it's time for their indies to share that crown now.
It is, they are existed, and they are not small numbers, they are just obscure.doujige(indies/garage games) especially, home of small or fan games since end of 80s or 90s. Well, they are all mostly hiding in japan and the rest of us mostly never know if they are existed.

Its funny thing, japanese indie game market somehow can survive even with low numbers and they are circulated on theit own circle around japan only, or sometimes spread into china, korea, taiwan(?).

Their massive touhou project circles are proof.
But yet, almost no mainstream knows. Mostly who knew, just one who considered as otaku, or knowledgeable weebs.

I once travels to japan, yesteryear. And i ask some of them, who said, the game industry is taught as school basis and magazine who are monthly keep them well informed by released the code for people to learn. This is why japanese devs can do many things faster.

You are right btw, doujige circle needs to out or exposed now, they are long existed before even the world knows the term indie games. They are hiding in comicon or smaller events.

I read this on hardcoregaming101.net back before, i might be wrong for somee points, because i read it in 2011/3 a decade ago.

IAmRei

This is good. The doujin scene still produces some of the most interesting games coming out these days, but what they tend to lack is polish. More support for these devs can only be a good thing.
Their lack of polish usually because they are fan made without budget and often the game is freebies made because of their love to certain characacter or IP, or one person or smallest dev team numbers rather than studio or student project or just hobbies. But yes, most of them is not polished as far as i know.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Eh, so-fuckin what.

Just kidding, this is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom