• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn's DCU 'Chapter 1' Slate Revealed

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
But . Aren't you bored of comic book heroes at this stage in movies?
It's been nearly 20 years of it at this stage and I applaud then for lasting this long but.. I don't know let's move onto the next big thing?

Top gun Maverick has shown quite clearly people want to see traditional action movies again.

When it comes to movies, I never tire of something that makes me look at the screen and smile with wide eyes. I'm a perpetual kid at heart at 48 yrs old! Except for about 3 movies, I've looked forward to every Marvel and DC movie and enjoyed them all!

Also, I'm looking forward to a comics accurate Batman! Batfleck was the closest we got to that.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
This is too ambitious. He should make 1 or 2 movies and then start to map things out, and prove himself, slowly, not everything all at once. This is a blitzkrieg.

Half of this is also a bunch of unknown wacky superheroes that no one knows about, like the Eternals.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
LOL

Just what I want to see....a movie about Waller.......a Nick Fury wannabee....

Super underwhelming list.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
LOL

Just what I want to see....a movie about Waller.......a Nick Fury wannabee....

Super underwhelming list.

Waller is an HBO Max show. Not a movie.

This is too ambitious. He should make 1 or 2 movies and then start to map things out, and prove himself, slowly, not everything all at once. This is a blitzkrieg.

Half of this is also a bunch of unknown wacky superheroes that no one knows about, like the Eternals.

No one knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy were either. And their plan is 2 movies, 2 shows per year.

And yeah it IS ambitious! It's about freaking time! DC has needed someone who knows the comics, the culture and ALSO has a mainstream sensitivity... Like Feige. Remember, Feige set up Gunn as his right hand man at Marvel for the cosmic stuff (past Guardians) right before his old tweets were unearthed and got him fired by Disney.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Swamp Thing is the only one that piques my curiosity (although there already was a TV show and I did not get past the first episode)
Legion of Superheroes would have been a cool way to try something new.
Legion of Super Heroes would have been good....as you could have a constantly changing roster, often filled with B and C tiered heroes. Many were very wacky like Matter Eater Boy (can eat all matter), Calamity King (causes accidents and disasters) and Infectious Lass (spontaneous generation of infectious diseases)...........tons of hilarious options over a hundred members at various points......plus there is Superboy and Supergirl.

Could have a new hero each week....would be fun.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Legion of Super Heroes would have been good....as you could have a constantly changing roster, often filled with B and C tiered heroes. Many were very wacky like Matter Eater Boy (can eat all matter), Calamity King (causes accidents and disasters) and Infectious Lass (spontaneous generation of infectious diseases)...........tons of hilarious options over a hundred members at various points)....plus there is Superboy and Supergirl.

Could have a new hero each week....would be fun.

The Legion seems like something they'd want to save for a kind of third wave or whatever. That said, it does seem like a property Gunn would love to play with.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
After 10 years of the Marvel introducing new heroes and numerous movies, and building up the MCU, DC tried frantically to catch up by rushing out movies in a short timeframe and failed spectacularly

After a few years of the MCU thriving on Disney+ and introducing numerous new heroes and adding them into the MCU with TV shows and movies, DC frantically tries to replicate this success by rushing out new series and movies in a short timespan (again)

Pretty funny.

Dr_Salt

I really can't see how the Authority can work within a DC setting. They were neutered each time they tried.
That is my main worry. I am getting a feeling they are gonna neuter them and its gonna suck. It would be cool if they adapted any of the Ellis or Millar stories but I bet they don't have the balls to do it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Remember, Feige set up Gunn as his right hand man at Marvel for the cosmic stuff (past Guardians) right before his old tweets were unearthed and got him fired by Disney.

That's actually not true. It's fake scooper shit that went out of control. Gunn was never going to run the cosmic stuff, he was just consulting Feige on the characters to use. That's it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The Legion seems like something they'd want to save for a kind of third wave or whatever. That said, it does seem like a property Gunn would love to play with.

You can't do Legion without a well established Superman. That's something for Chapter 3 or beyond at this point.

After 10 years of the Marvel introducing new heroes and numerous movies, and building up the MCU, DC tried frantically to catch up by rushing out movies in a short timeframe and failed spectacularly

After a few years of the MCU thriving on Disney+ and introducing numerous new heroes and adding them into the MCU with TV shows and movies, DC frantically tries to replicate this success by rushing out new series and movies in a short timespan (again)

Pretty funny.

Actually with James Gunn, I think DC have a fighting chance

ManaByte

Gold Member

Pretty funny.

Two movies and two shows a year is rushing things out? Marvel is doing 4 movies and 4 shows a year.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Fn3s-eFXwAM8yq5

jonah-jameson-crap.gif

Only 3 interesting projects: Swamp Things, Green Lanterns & Joker 2. Not even a full reboot, keeping his wife around.
Let's hope it will not become too much Marvel style.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's no way in hell I'm watching all this. If I hear something is great, I may check it out. Superman will be the big event.

Doom85

But . Aren't you bored of comic book heroes at this stage in movies?
It's been nearly 20 years of it at this stage and I applaud then for lasting this long but.. I don't know let's move onto the next big thing?

Top gun Maverick has shown quite clearly people want to see traditional action movies again.

-am I bored from movies based off characters who have DECADES and DECADES of stories spanning a ton of comic series to adapt?

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Hell, James Gunn even cited specific comic runs they‘ll be drawing from for some of these films, which is exciting for those who have read them.

To me, your question is as baffling as someone going, “guys, aren’t you tired of book adaptations already?” Just as there are countless books to adapt, there are countless Marvel and DC stories to adapt.

I don’t question how people can enjoy watching sports for decades when the formula is even more limited than virtually any fictional story. So why question why people still get enjoy superhero stories?

-good for those people, but one genre making a comeback does not require the death of another. This would be like saying if survival horror games were to make a comeback then we need to stop making fighting games, like WTF is that logic?

Doom85

I hope Michael Keaton is the Batman for the Brave and Bold movie

Doubt that would work, Keaton is in his 70’s now and they need an actor who can convincingly be showing Damien the ropes in being a vigilante. Unless they pull a twist and just have Dick Grayson be Batman and mentoring Damien like in part of the Morrison run and Bruce is retired, then Keaton is not happening.

Bragr

Banned
Waller is an HBO Max show. Not a movie.

No one knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy were either. And their plan is 2 movies, 2 shows per year.

And yeah it IS ambitious! It's about freaking time! DC has needed someone who knows the comics, the culture and ALSO has a mainstream sensitivity... Like Feige. Remember, Feige set up Gunn as his right hand man at Marvel for the cosmic stuff (past Guardians) right before his old tweets were unearthed and got him fired by Disney.
You guys are putting waaaaaaay too much stock into Gunn. Just because he made some good movies doesn't mean he can automatically do everything else.

mcjmetroid

-am I bored from movies based off characters who have DECADES and DECADES of stories spanning a ton of comic series to adapt?

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Hell, James Gunn even cited specific comic runs they‘ll be drawing from for some of these films, which is exciting for those who have read them.

To me, your question is as baffling as someone going, “guys, aren’t you tired of book adaptations already?” Just as there are countless books to adapt, there are countless Marvel and DC stories to adapt.

I don’t question how people can enjoy watching sports for decades when the formula is even more limited than virtually any fictional story. So why question why people still get enjoy superhero stories?

-good for those people, but one genre making a comeback does not require the death of another. This would be like saying if survival horror games were to make a comeback then we need to stop making fighting games, like WTF is that logic?
That's a ridiculous comparison. Book adaptations can consist on multiple genres and styles and well can be absolutely anything.
Superhero movies are 90% the same stuff with the exceptions of the rare ones like the dark knight trilogy and Logan trying something new. Both of which to my knowledge weren't actually baseed on comic book storylines at all. So there you go.

Time will of course tell which one of us is right. I so think there will be a time when the shit will hit the fan and people will not want to see anymore of these movies for a long time. I'm shocked it's taken this long.

To me Endgame gave the fans everything you can imagine in a comic book movie with the highest profile characters so it's kinda like.... what next? They completely hotshotted the comic book movie business with that one. Yes Spiderman did very well afterwards but what since has done any great numbers.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Superhero movies are 90% the same stuff with the exceptions of the rare ones like the dark knight trilogy and Logan trying something new. Both of which to my knowledge weren't actually baseed on comic book storylines at all. So there you go.

The Nolan trilogy is based on Batman Year One, No Man's Land, and other Batman storylines.

Logan is the Fox Mutantverse version of Old Man Logan.

Last edited:

Doom85

That's a ridiculous comparison. Book adaptations can consist on multiple genres and styles and well can be absolutely anything.

Time will of course tell which one of us is right. I so think there will be a time when the shit will hit the fan and people will not want to see anymore of these movies for a long time. I'm shocked it's taken this long.

To me Endgame gave the fans everything you can imagine in a comic book movie with the highest profile characters so it's kinda like.... what next? They completely hotshotted the comic book movie business with that one. Yes Spiderman did very well afterwards but what since has done any great numbers.

I mean, if you have such a narrow view of superhero movies that you see them as “90% of the same stuff”, then I am baffled we see them that differently and there‘s really not much more to say between us.

Within the MCU alone:

Iron Man 1-3 is “traditional superhero”
Thor 1-4 are mythological fantasy
Captain America 1 is a WW II film, Winter Solider and Civil War are political action thrillers
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 are sci-fi
Ant-man 1 is a heist film, 2 is “traditional superhero”, 3 will be sci-fi with a heist plot it seems
Dr. Strange 1 is fantasy, 2 is horror
Spider-man 1 and 2 are traditional superhero though more high school dramedy like, 3 is more sci-fi
Black Panther 1 and 2 are political action thrillers
Captain Marvel is sci-fi
Black Widow is political action thriller
Shang-Chi is martial arts action
Eternals is sci-fi
And that’s not even getting into the TV series……

You do realize a superhero story often doesn’t have “superhero” as its only genre, right? I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy shares a ton in common with other sci-fi series like Cowboy Bebop, Firefly, Outlaw Star, etc.

I mean, by your view of what it takes to be different, how many “traditional” action films that you seem keen on ”returning” (even though we still get a good deal of them, for fucks sake we’re already on John Wick 4) are basically Die Hard if you have such strict views on something being different? A cop/FBI/CIA dude either active or retired has to stop a bunch of terrorists with a wild plan? Oh man, I guess Face/Off is the same film as Die Hard, despite the many other things they do differently from one another.

Even though I do like some of those “traditional” action films, superhero films have offered WAY more variety in genres in my experience.

dorkimoe

He fucked up not hiring the absolute best superman there ever was or will be. Yeah the films werent the best but Henry loved it and HE wasnt the problem. But dont worry he will make sure is wife still has a job in all the shows/movies I bet.

mcjmetroid

I mean, if you have such a narrow view of superhero movies that you see them as “90% of the same stuff”, then I am baffled we see them that differently and there‘s really not much more to say between us.

Within the MCU alone:

Captain America 1 is a WW II film, Winter Solider and Civil War are political action thrillers
Ant-man 1 is a heist film, 2 is “traditional superhero”, 3 will be sci-fi with a heist plot it seems
Spider-man 1 and 2 are traditional superhero though more high school dramedy like, 3 is more sci-fi
Captain Marvel is sci-fi
Eternals is sci-fi

You do realize a superhero story often doesn’t have “superhero” as its only genre, right? I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy shares a ton in common with other sci-fi series like Cowboy Bebop, Firefly, Outlaw Star, etc.

I mean, by your view of what it takes to be different, how many “traditional” action films that you seem keen on ”returning” (even though we still get a good deal of them, for fucks sake we’re already on John Wick 4) are basically Die Hard if you have such strict views on something being different? A cop/FBI/CIA dude either active or retired has to stop a bunch of terrorists with a wild plan? Oh man, I guess Face/Off is the same film as Die Hard, despite the many other things they do differently from one another.

Even though I do like some of those “traditional” action films, superhero films have offered WAY more variety in genres in my experience.
All have characters with super powers though because of this...it's hard for people to appreciate the stakes in any story, they're so detached from reality almost cartoon-like and it was fun at first but C'mon this isn't hard to understand why a lot of people would think they're all similar. Hey I was with it at the beginning loved the first iron man, most of the X-Men movies etc.

And to your second point, Well yes exactly what I was saying. Die hard, face off etc. That genre ran it's course and disappeared from the mainstream because it got very samey even though I too could write you a list saying how "different" they all are.
I
I'm not saying a return to that exact same genre but people are tired of superhero unrealistic cartoon like action.

Anyway you can argue with me all day but people are getting tired of these movies and interest is dwindling... I wonder why?

Bragr

Banned
It has, but for me at least GotG recaptured the magic of 4,5 & 6. Something the prequels, sequels and spinoffs all failed to do.
But even if, what does that have to do with the DCU universe?

Making a good movie does not translate to him being able to manage and hire all the right people over several years across several mediums.

I would rather they prove it with a few DCU films before they plan everything out.

Bragr

Banned

Within the MCU alone:

Captain Marvel is sci-fi
Eternals is sci-fi

"Black Panther 1 and 2 are political action thrillers".

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is so ridiculous man. Jesus. You people have lost your marbles.

The current climate of Superhero movies is like if they made 30 Ghostbuster movies in 10 years. They might have some spin on each movie, some are more realistic than others and maybe some are comedies and some are action movies, but it's still Ghostbusters. You guys are clamoring for the 31st ghostbusters movie and we are all tired of you and your movies.

Superhero movies are like the WWE with really bad wrestlers. At some point, you are supposed to see past the fanfare and get tired of the bad wrestling, at some point you want something more. It's just you guys completely lack the ability to see past the fanfare.

Alcibiades

Within the MCU alone:

Captain Marvel is sci-fi
Eternals is sci-fi
On some level, most of the movies listed are a mix of action with some sci-fi/fantasy thrown in. There are elements here and there from other genres, but the general approach of action + superpower/supertech + quippy comedy makes them all sort of blend together.

For example, Multiverse of Madness was not a horror flick. There were a few "horror"-style moments in the vein of something like Hocus Pocus, but for the most part it's a traditional action comedy superhero movie with a tinge of style. Now, if Multiverse of Madness went all out like Brightburn or New Mutants, then I'd assign it the horror label.

I've enjoyed 90% of MCU content on some level and overall above average quality IMO, but it's also mostly the same as far as substance. For something to truly standout they'd need to try something really different like Joker, but it would go against the crowd-pleasing action + joke formula they have going.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Please tell me you're joking.

Why would I be joking? You don’t think the movie industry looks at successful video games, and seeks to copy the format?

Logan would never have been made without the Last Of Us, and I guarantee you they’ve looked at how much money Kratos‘s relationship with Atreus has earned, and thought they could replicate that with Batman and Damian.

bitbydeath

But even if, what does that have to do with the DCU universe?

Making a good movie does not translate to him being able to manage and hire all the right people over several years across several mediums.

I would rather they prove it with a few DCU films before they plan everything out.
He’s already proven himself over the mediums, achieving something others could only dream is the icing on top. He’s the best person for the job.

Doom85

On some level, most of the movies listed are a mix of action with some sci-fi/fantasy thrown in. There are elements here and there from other genres, but the general approach of action + superpower/supertech + quippy comedy makes them all sort of blend together.

For example, Multiverse of Madness was not a horror flick. There were a few "horror"-style moments in the vein of something like Hocus Pocus, but for the most part it's a traditional action comedy superhero movie with a tinge of style. Now, if Multiverse of Madness went all out like Brightburn or New Mutants, then I'd assign it the horror label.

I've enjoyed 90% of MCU content on some level and overall above average quality IMO, but it's also mostly the same as far as substance. For something to truly standout they'd need to try something really different like Joker, but it would go against the crowd-pleasing action + joke formula they have going.

Nah, MoM is horror, certainly more than New Mutants. Sam Raimi utilitized plenty of his directing style he used in Evil Dead here, there’s plenty of jump scares, the villain is basically utilized like an unstoppable slasher villain, it’s the most violent PG-13 film in a LONG time, etc. Now, I didn’t find the film scary, but it was still clearly a horror film. Saying the film isn’t horror just because it has other genres in it would be like saying Hereditary isn’t horror because it’s drama and horror, like come on.

I mean, just utilizing some fantasy or sci-fi makes them stand out more than a lot of action films of the past for me. Yes, there were some stand outs back then, absolutely, but even some of the more standard superhero films I find more enjoyable than some of the basic action films of the past.

And again, people need to understand some of us actually have read comics (like, actually read a bunch, not the normies who dabble in Batman and Spidey occasionally) and watched the cartoons, etc. and know how many great stories they can still use with these characters, hell how many great characters haven’t even shown up in a proper live action film yet. I’m sorry, people need to understand that saying, “can we just stop with the superhero stuff?” is always going to irk some people.

Salz01

I’m most skeptical about the Supergirl Movie. No studio can get female action heroes right anymore. Especially when I read ‘of tomorrow’…..

Doom85

All have characters with super powers though because of this...it's hard for people to appreciate the stakes in any story, they're so detached from reality almost cartoon-like and it was fun at first but C'mon this isn't hard to understand why a lot of people would think they're all similar. Hey I was with it at the beginning loved the first iron man, most of the X-Men movies etc.

And to your second point, Well yes exactly what I was saying. Die hard, face off etc. That genre ran it's course and disappeared from the mainstream because it got very samey even though I too could write you a list saying how "different" they all are.
I
I'm not saying a return to that exact same genre but people are tired of superhero unrealistic cartoon like action.

Anyway you can argue with me all day but people are getting tired of these movies and interest is dwindling... I wonder why?

Maybe a few people have some hang-ups on the powers making it “unrealistic” for a few people, but many people though, come on, you’re reaching. Hell, the powers actually often explain how the characters survive stuff. It’s stupid that some people will whine that characters like Drax and Gamora can pull off surviving and doing stuff normal humans couldn’t when it is well within their superhuman capabilities, meanwhile there are YouTube videos pointing out how many traditional action movies have supposedly normal human protagonists who sustain wounds that would either kill them or make it impossible for them to continue as efficiently as they do.

Then what genre? You can’t just say stop making a major portion of blockbusters without something to replace it. All you‘ve brought up is Top Gun 2, which is a sequel to an established film. And I think you’re attributing too much to the genre of that film, Tom Cruise has always brought in big BO numbers when he’s the lead of an action film, plus it has that nostalgia grab. I’m not saying the film isn’t solid, but you can definitely not attribute the majority of its success purely to its genre. Hell, Devotion came out the same year, and despite being well received by both critics and the audience who saw it, it still only made around 20 million. That should be telling.

Who’s tired? Various people complaining on the Internet? Hardly a gauge for the success of a genre’s future. Black Panther 2 made over 800 million. Dr. Strange 2 made over 900 million. The Batman and Thor 4 both made over 700 million. Hell, when Thor 4, despite being the most criticized of all those I just listed, can still make that much, it should say a lot.

Top Bottom