• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn's DCU 'Chapter 1' Slate Revealed

ManaByte

Gold Member

Creature Commandos (TV)
Waller (TV)
Superman Legacy (Movie)
Lanterns (TV)
The Authority (Movie)
Paradise Lost (TV)
The Brave and the Bold (Movie)
Booster Gold (TV)
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow (Movie)
Swamp Thing (Movie)

Brave and the Bold is based on Grant Morrison's Batman run!

Only Gunn has the balls to greenlight a Booster Gold TV show

Man Body GIF

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The Superman movie will be the deciding factor if he knows what hes doing or nah. TV shows can be great or not but doubt they'll impact much on DCU, kinda like Mandalorian is the best star wars thing since...well..the classic star wars but we will prolly never see a big movie out of it,

Umbasaborne

Banned
I don't understand why connect these projects, just have them be their own thing. Wonderwoman and Aquaman worked because they didn't involve other stuff.

Then, do a movie that brings them together.

Now you have to see everything to "get it". This feels tired to me.
Because idiot zaslav wants his marvel money, and will run any property into the ground to get it

Billbofet

Really like how he laid this out. Seems very genuine vs. the shareholder-type Disney announcements.
I would take Superman alone over all of Marvel. Same for Batman, but I'm excited to see some of these lesser known projects as well.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Peacemaker was the only thing I had any interest in from Gunn/DC so it looks like I can just avoid them completely from here on out.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
When did Gunn become a 100 year old man? Not age shaming, just surprised to see his signature wacky hair all white.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Morrison-influence, The Authority, Swamp Thing...
The upcoming Superman and Batman part 2.

I couldn't have chosen a better slate myself. This is awesome. MCU better get it's ass off the pavement.

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Gunn said Season 2 is still coming, it's just delayed. Waller is a spinoff of Peacemaker.

And I'll be here for it when it comes. But it doesn't seem like it will be coming any time soon. Which is massively disappointing. I don't really have any interest in a Waller spinoff. She was my least favorite part of the show.

Alcibiades

Based on what's been said it looks like almost every DCEU actor could potentially return in their role except Henry Cavill... lol

Looking forward to a lot of this but its more confusing than they initially implied. The Waller show is seemingly set on the "Snyder" universe, I thought no one was coming back? Now they said there is nothing to prevent everyone from coming back (except Cavill who don't forget Gunn loves to remind everyone he's a big fan of).

Last edited:

Topfuel

Nice to see Ellis/Morrison is represented. Maybe we will get Wildcats and a Planetary movie also in the future. Global Frequency tv-series (not just a pilot.)

Power Pro

I am really not interested in this. Gunn got lucky with the Guardians movies to me, but anything else of his doesn't really interest me.

I also fear that his vision is not gonna be any more well received than what Snyder was doing.

I know this is far from hard science, but I like to point out something on why Marvel's strategy (until phase 4 at least) worked, and why whatever they keep doing with DC might not work or appeal on a larger scale. People my mother's age are a demographic that a lot of people don't consider when how or why the Marvel movies make so much money. My mom LOVES the first 3 phases of the MCU, and she was never the type of person to go for the action blockbuster movies in the past. She often fell asleep in them in the theater when I was a kid. Yet now she rewatches the MCU movies constantly, she especially likes Iron Man, and Ant Man. Her and my dad both really liked the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and because that was the case...I thought, maybe we can watch James Gunn's suicide squad, I hadn't seen it before myself, but i suggested putting it on and seeing if we'd all enjoy it one night. The violence legit turned them off, and we stopped watching it half way through.

My point is...MCU may be played out at this point, but it made a shit ton of money for a reason: appealing to all kinds of demographics. James Gunn was a one trick pony to me with the guardians films, but seeing him go so raw with The Suicide Squad, I have no faith in whatever he can come up with for the DC films.

That's just my opinion anyway. I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

I wonder how violent the authority is going to be. I don't think the authority works without the hyper violence tbh.

Trunx81

Superman „Legacy” 🤨

Strange title. Is he dead? Did he leave earth (again)? Will he be back? In black? Man of Steal? So many questions.

FeralEcho

in 5 years time I predict WB going bankrupt and selling DC.They're making 10 year plans on the same shit idea that made Marvel phase 4 suck which is merging tv shows and movies into one universe-newsflash! People don't have time to watch 50 different shows in between movies to keep up with the story,the first 3 phases of MCU worked because it was just a couple movies a year that any sad sap could follow.Do they really believe 50 year old Joanna with 3 kids and 2 jobs has time to watch fucking BoosterGold every week to keep up with this shit ,they are out of their minds If they think this will be mainstream,nevermind the fact that superhero fatigue is real and they're planning on a tired and fading trend when video game adaptations seem to be the next big craze after TLOU's big numbers.But good luck to James Gunn in his career ending endeavor.Must be thrilling.

Who is this for btw? It can't be for the fans as they've already alienated most of the fanbase with the deconstruction of the Snyderverse and the destruction of Henry Cavill as Superman and it can't be for the mainstream either for the reasons I listed above so who the fuck is this for? Who's gonna trust DC and WB into investing their precious time into these new representations of characters when they can axe and reboot them at any given time as DC has done time and time again.

Top Bottom